Best book that you HAD to read

Remove this Banner Ad

Havn't gone through the whole tread to see if this book has been mentioned so appologies if it already has. Now this is not a book that I had to read at school or anything, but just simply a brilliant novel that I thought I would share.Shantaram- By Gregory David Roberts. This book is hands down the best novel ive had the pleasure of reading. This novel is a story of Roberts life which can only be described as amazing. Roberts is from Melbourne and this follows his escape from a maximum security prison in Melbourne to India and the Indian underworld. Every page of this book leaves you wanting more. I really dont know what to even tell you about this book, as this story of his life is so extrodinary! Not only is the story so amazing but Roberts is such a brilliant writer.Look just do yourself a favour and go out and get this book! You will be hanging on everyword of this 900 page masterpeice! 5 stars!

i enjoyed the book too. Thought the last 300 pages or so lost directin a little, but overall enjoyed it.

There are some writers who have nothing to say, but can write brilliantly. Technique hides substance, if you like. Then there are those who have an absolutely cracking story to tell, but the writing itself 'aint top-shelf. I thought Shantaram was a bit like that... getting lost in the depthless pools of here eyes etc. But his story was so great, it held me interested.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a great read.

i enjoyed the book too. Thought the last 300 pages or so lost directin a little, but overall enjoyed it.

There are some writers who have nothing to say, but can write brilliantly. Technique hides substance, if you like. Then there are those who have an absolutely cracking story to tell, but the writing itself 'aint top-shelf. I thought Shantaram was a bit like that... getting lost in the depthless pools of here eyes etc. But his story was so great, it held me interested.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is a great read.

Yeah he was sometimes too descriptive, especailly in regards to Carla. Might have to give The Wind Up Bird Chronicle a read. What is it about?

Yeah thought the end of Shantaram left a few loose ends. Like how did he get recaptured etc untill I found out he has a follow up novel that continues on, it should be out next year some time.

Obvious that school reading lists have not changed a lot since my time in the 60's. A lot I liked then have been mentioned - To Kill a Mockingbird and the Johm Whyndam books especially. My fav from Year 12, 1970 was The Caine Mutiny, probably read it more than a dozen times over the years. As for shockers "The Power and the Glory" and for Aussie books "The Getting of Wisdom" were two I hated. I think anybody who liked George Orwell is severely warped. 1984 was horrible.

Obvious that school reading lists have not changed a lot since my time in the 60's. A lot I liked then have been mentioned - To Kill a Mockingbird and the Johm Whyndam books especially. My fav from Year 12, 1970 was The Caine Mutiny, probably read it more than a dozen times over the years. As for shockers "The Power and the Glory" and for Aussie books "The Getting of Wisdom" were two I hated. I think anybody who liked George Orwell is severely warped. 1984 was horrible.

How so? Not having a go, just curious.

To Kill A Mockingbird, Playing Beatie Bow. Heart of Darkness (when I eventually finish it). Animal Farm.

Anyone who thinks the Catcher In The Rye is "overrated" should be shot. 1984 is a classic as well.

To Kill A Mockingbird, Playing Beatie Bow. Heart of Darkness (when I eventually finish it). Animal Farm.

Anyone who thinks the Catcher In The Rye is "overrated" should be shot. 1984 is a classic as well.

I did not get through it either. :D

Wallaby;22709624/ said:
Shakespeare - does anyone really, honestly enjoy Shakespeare? I think it's a pose.

Absolutely. Arguably the finest user of language in Western Literature. It astonishes me how talented he actually was.
Got far, far more out of him when I re-read him after high school though. I feel high school can ruin Shakespeare for a lot of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a big reader, only read books when I must for school, so I was effectively forced to choose one for a book review and it ended up being "A Catcher in the Rye." Absolutely loved it. :thumbsu:

The Great Gatsby and Pride and Prejudice. The other books we were assigned were all Australian crap. I still have nightmares where I have to read Cloudstreet again.

In year 12 - Dostoyevski's Crime and Punishment - a heavy read, but well worth it.

That is the best I've ever read. It sounds like a cliche because it's so famous but it really is an incredible book.

This year - Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye. If I hadn't read it I would never have discovered her. Also Isabel Allende's Eva Luna.

You have good taste. I read 'Cat's Eye' when i was a teen and pretty much could not put it down. I've tried to read other books of Margaret Atwood to no avail. Cat's Eye is terrific though.

This is a hard question for me. I remember HAVING to read Shakespeare at school and uni and only liking Othello.

I also read "Great Expectations" at uni and didn't mind it - I didn't love it as much as everyone else does. I have a thing about english authors - in that I think they're overrated, like the bronte sisters and Jane Austin *shudders*.

The Hobbit was pretty good.

Merchant of Venice, MacBeth, 1984, Lord of the flies, half days and patched pants (about the Great Depression) were good too.

Fair stood the wind for France was a chore.
Gentlehands was the worst.

I think anybody who liked George Orwell is severely warped. 1984 was horrible.

Not sure if srs? After Wilde, Orwell would probably be my favourite author. 1984 is magic.

We had to read 1984 and also Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. They both had some interesting concepts but weren't the most enjoyable books to read, pretty heavy going.

Really? I thought BNW in particular was light as a feather, but I read it after school. Two of my favourite books, and two of the few fiction books I will actually take the time to read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best book that you HAD to read

Remove this Banner Ad

Back