Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since these have become personal "I met someone famous" posts, and not rumours, I will offer mine.
Many years ago I was involved in Junior Development with the AFL in Sydney.
At the time Collingwood were making a push into Sydney and had planned to play them once a year, in Sydney for a certain number of years.
They arranged a few Auskick clinics and club captain Nathan Buckley was going to be the big draw card.
Having noted a reputation for him supposedly being a bit FIGJAM, I wasn't sure what to expect, given I would be his contact for the clinics he was involved with.

I know some will be disappointed to hear he was one of the better blokes I've met in footy.
He was interested in the game in Sydney, interested in how kids were coming to the game and how it was being promoted.
He was fantastic with the kids, and with the parents, some of whom didn't know who he was.
He signed autographs until the last kid left and joked with the kids who told him the Swans were going to smash them.
Some of the younger Collingwood blokes were there because they had to be, and talked and joked amongst themselves the whole time.
Nathan Buckley was an ambassador for his club and his sport in an emerging market.
Great story.
So many players that push the line on the field get a bad wrap because people presume they are like that off field as well.

Great story.
So many players that push the line on the field get a bad wrap because people presume they are like that off field as well.
You only need to listen to Buckley being interviewed on the radio to realise that as a person, he’s extremely likeable and a deep thinker about the game and its future.

Great story.
Not like that Cotchin fella at the Tigers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly no one's mentioned Don Scott
When he went over to coach South Adelaide back in 1985 the story goes at the first players' meeting he told them he was gay/bi and anyone who didn't like it could get ****** then and there
South lost it's first seven games of the year and Scott quit and went back to Melbourne

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

He used to carry that man(hand)bag around and ran a jeans store in Bayside. Always gave off the gay/bi vibes.

Selwood found his missus through a friends fb account. He saw a pic of her, asked for an introduction and the rest is history. I personally know Brit - lovely girl, gorgeous, but the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

No but just quickly doing 1 minute of research shows it impossible. Biggs arrived in Sydney in 1966, Bradley was born 1963 in Adelaide.
This is the Biggs connection to footy.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/banking-on-a-legend-20130730-2qxbl.html
Father-sons are an enduring football fascination, a tingling prospect that the next generation could rise above the pressure of comparison and revisit or even outstrip the feats of the old man. To find your team in possession of a progeny of Ablett or Watson proportions is every footy fan's dream.
In 1981, Fitzroy boasted an offspring even more unique.

While questions about their dads have dogged Gary Ablett jnr and Jobe Watson since before they laced a boot, neither will ever know what it was like to be Chris Brent. For a solitary season in 1981, the 18-year-old in the No.10 jumper in Fitzroy's under-19s had a unique reply to the stock query: ''What did your dad do?''
To say your old man kicked more than 1000 goals and was possibly the greatest player of all time was one thing. That he played in the big league when he was just 15, won three flags and finished up playing more than 300 games was hard to top, too.

But only Chris Brent could say his father robbed the Glasgow to London mail train of £2.6 million in cash, lived in hiding in Australia and wound up in Rio de Janeiro as one of the most famous criminals on the planet.

Selwood found his missus through a friends fb account. He saw a pic of her, asked for an introduction and the rest is history. I personally know Brit - lovely girl, gorgeous, but the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
Joel Selwood even sent me an unsolicited text the other day. Wanting to meet me at a park in Geelong under the pretence of going for a ‘fun’ run. Creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back