Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard from one of my mates that Ricky Ponting has donated millions to the NMFC and is the sole reason they still exist. Any truth to this?

Substitute "Peter Scanlon" for 'Ricky Ponting', "one factor" for 'the sole reason', and "why they have made an operating profit for 8 of the last 9 years" for 'they still exist'.

Then you're close.

Heard from one of my mates that Ricky Ponting has donated millions to the NMFC and is the sole reason they still exist. Any truth to this?
Substitute "Peter Scanlon" for 'Ricky Ponting', "one factor" for 'the sole reason', and "why they have made an operating profit for 8 of the last 9 years" for 'they still exist'.

Then you're close.
Ponting is however the number one ticket holder iirc. He probably has put some dosh and maybe expertise into the joint, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the same level as Scanlon.

Is it true when Wayne Carey was hitting the clubs as a player (both meanings there of that word), if women turned him down, he would grab their **** and say his famous line?

So it just wasnt the "one time" on the street???
Reported as fact a few months back

From the friend of a friend of a work colleague file.

Vic Premier Dan Andrews has asked Gill if he could release the 2021 fixture (or part thereof) on Monday, the same day the hotel inquiry findings are officially tabled to the public, the hope of course is our love of footy will usurp our interest in what the outcomes of the findings might reveal.

I guess we only have to wait a few days to see if this rings true.

From the friend of a friend of a work colleague file.

Vic Premier Dan Andrews has asked Gill if he could release the 2021 fixture (or part thereof) on Monday, the same day the hotel inquiry findings are officially tabled to the public, the hope of course is our love of footy will usurp our interest in what the outcomes of the findings might reveal.

I guess we only have to wait a few days to see if this rings true.

News said they (AFL fixtures) were being released Thursday?

Edit: pre-season thurs. real season fri.

Last edited:
News said they (AFL fixtures) were being released Thursday?

Edit: pre-season thurs. real season fri.

And just like that my rumour is quashed within 30 mins.
the ol’ friend of a friend of a work colleague obviously not the most reliable source then. 😀👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a rumour, but Jack Riewoldt charges $100 for a cameo. Josh Kennedy (Sydney) only $40.

Does that say a bit about both blokes or is just easier to exploit Richmond supporters?

Not an AFL player but a story about Wendell Sailor at the height of his career.

I was out at the Caxton strip in Brisbane on a week night with some mates many years ago. A friend wanted us to meet his new GF and she had brought along one of her mates to even up the numbers and see if she clicked with any of us. The girls had been at a work party all afternoon and were rather refreshed (love that term) by the time we met up. It was a pretty quiet night and we hopped between a few different venues to see if we could find a bit more of a lively atmosphere. During the night we had crossed paths with Wendell Sailor at a couple of the venues. He seemed to be drifting around himself a bit and kind of roaming between different groups of people he appeared to know.

Now the young lady with us seemed to have inside knowledge about some of Wendell's alleged transgressions and wasn't a massive fan to say the least. She kept muttering to us how much she hated him, was going to give him a serve etc. We tried to calm her down as the last thing we wanted was have some kind of argument with Wendell (a serious unit in more ways than one). But she couldn't be stopped and eventually made her way over to him and gave him an almighty serve. Lots of adult language and finger pointing. She even got up on a chair/ bench at one point to get up to his eye level.

When she returned we were a little nervous about any further shenanigans and when we saw Wendell approaching we wondered if we were about to take part in a future news story. However, he produced a tray of shots, muttered something about having to train in the morning and apologized for upsetting our friend. He then walked off and left the venue. We didn't see him again.

Thanks Wendell.

anyone heard that Wendell Sailor is Viv Richards illegitimate son?

anyone heard that Wendell Sailor is Viv Richards illegitimate son?
I had heard this many years ago, but then also had a killjoy dismiss it fairly quickly with facts.
If it were a a member of the West Indies cricket team, it would have been when they were touring Australia.
Given he was born in mid 1974, he would have been conceived in Sept 1973.
Unless you can place his birth mother Penny (he was adopted) in the UK at that time, which I understood was not possible, then it's not true.
Viv Richards, when not playing international cricket lived in the UK at this time.

Another Ablett Snr story (not a rumour so much) by Adrian Hickmott, former Geelong/Carlton player, told to a group I was in at a bar, many years ago.

The story went something like they were standing around on Kardinia Park at the start of training. Gary grabbed a footy and pointed to 2 open wheelie bins about 50 metres away outside the fence. He proceeded to kick the ball right-footed and it landed in one of the bins. The boys couldn’t believe it.

Gary said nothing, grabbed another footy and pointed to the bins again, and then proceeded to kick it left-footed, landing it in the other bin.

Ive heard this story John Barnes as well

Cotchin is snippy, gutless, and very good at knowing who to look good in front of.

His stupid hair, 'nice boy grin' and the way he's so nice to the media reminds me of your classic school sycophant, sucking up to the teachers. The sort of guy who'd call you this and that and as soon as you went back at him, he'd call you the psycho. In a way he has that same mentality to Aussie cricketers – snip and snipe and be a little sh*t but know when to put the blame onto someone else.

I'll never forget the little punce's media interview after Port Adelaide absolute pantsed the pricks at Adelaide Oval in the sun. Floggin'. Big final, all this talk, and they wet emselves. 'Everyone is talking about the call you made to kick into the wind... they kicked about eight goals against you and the game was over, as captain, how do you defend that decision?' He just smirks and smiles and offers a heap of 'ahh, eh, yeah, ehhyeah look it's just one of those things.'

Your club hasn't played finals in half a generation, you're going to Adelaide, you get completely shamed, and all you can offer your supporters is pleasantries and winces?

That day confirmed to me he was one of the true gutless captains. Embarrassingly soft.
Haha, still think this?

Is that the bloke who made his millions from footy cards back in the day?
The very same. A pioneer of the lucrative footy cards business.

Not true. Peter Scanlon grew up in Coburg and was former top executive in John Elliott's Elders IXL in the 1980s. They took over Carlton & United Breweries.

Nothing to do with Scanlens footy cards. From Wikipedia
Scanlens is a brand of trading cards first produced in the 1930s and given away with packets of sweets and chewing gum.
The first sports-themed cards series were produced in limited quantities in 1963 featuring 18 players from the Victorian Football League

Not a rumour, but Jack Riewoldt charges $100 for a cameo. Josh Kennedy (Sydney) only $40.

Does that say a bit about both blokes or is just easier to exploit Richmond supporters?

player managers pretty much charge for everything these days

the ugly one is the "journos" are now wanting appearance fees too

heard Caro wanted $3k to appear at one fundraiser a number of years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back