Best game been too (non final)

Remove this Banner Ad

cussernaut

Senior List
Mar 30, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Round 22 1996, hawks beat the dees by a point in the 'merger' game, had to win to make the finals, Dunstall 10 including his 100th.

2. Round 5 2006, v Essendon by a point was pretty sweet.

Add/comment.

Ive missed a few good ones e.g. Dixon goal after the 2001 v Carlton would have been good.

Last Game at Waverly by a long way!

Ground was packed to capacity, I think we beat Richmond from Memory, might have even been Dunstalls last game! I was pretty young but I really enjoyed it. Remember going on the ground after the game and getting cracked in the head by chunks of dirt because half the crowd decided they wanted to rip the surface apart!

But all in all was a fitting send off for the ground!

KingRich said:

Ground was packed to capacity, I think we beat Richmond from Memory, might have even been Dunstalls last game! I was pretty young but I really enjoyed it. Remember going on the ground after the game and getting cracked in the head by chunks of dirt because half the crowd decided they wanted to rip the surface apart!

Good thread :thumbsu:

We played the Swans and Dockers and smashed them both by almost 15 goals.

Last game at Waverley - Hawks vs Sydney
Hawthorn 6.6 10.11 17.13 23.15 153
Sydney 2.0 3.1 7.2 11.2 68
Att: 72,130 Venue: Waverley Park
Date: 29-Aug-1999

I still hold to this day that if we did make the 1999 finals series we would have done some damage.

Dunstall's tribute game - Hawks vs Fremantle
Hawthorn 4.3 8.5 11.14 22.17 149
Fremantle 1.2 5.5 8.6 9.6 60
Att: 39,735 Venue: Waverley Park
Date: 29-Aug-1998

This was just a beautiful afternoon

But the best has to be the 'Merger Match'

Notable mentions- vs Essendon 2006, vs Kangaroos 2001 and vs St.Kilda in 1999

Even in a dry decade for the Hawks, we have won and lost some corkers.

Hawkk said:
Good thread :thumbsu:

We played the Swans and Dockers and smashed them both by almost 15 goals.

Last game at Waverley - Hawks vs Sydney
Hawthorn 6.6 10.11 17.13 23.15 153
Sydney 2.0 3.1 7.2 11.2 68
Att: 72,130 Venue: Waverley Park
Date: 29-Aug-1999

I still hold to this day that if we did make the 1999 finals series we would have done some damage.

Dunstall's tribute game - Hawks vs Fremantle
Hawthorn 4.3 8.5 11.14 22.17 149
Fremantle 1.2 5.5 8.6 9.6 60
Att: 39,735 Venue: Waverley Park
Date: 29-Aug-1998

This was just a beautiful afternoon

But the best has to be the 'Merger Match'

Notable mentions- vs Essendon 2006, vs Kangaroos 2001 and vs St.Kilda in 1999

Even in a dry decade for the Hawks, we have won and lost some corkers.

Cheers Hawwk! Its been a while! I saw both Dunstall tribute and last game at Waverly and were both great days! Loved the last game as Waverly. I didn't get to the merger game but watched it on TV and you could sense the energy and passion through the TV it was that good so I would imagine it would have been awesome to be there!

KingRich said:
Cheers Hawwk! Its been a while! I saw both Dunstall tribute and last game at Waverly and were both great days! Loved the last game as Waverly. I didn't get to the merger game but watched it on TV and you could sense the energy and passion through the TV it was that good so I would imagine it would have been awesome to be there!
All fantastic games that showed Hawthorn's fighting spirit :thumbsu:

cussernaut said:
1. Round 22 1996, hawks beat the dees by a point in the 'merger' game, had to win to make the finals, Dunstall 10 including his 100th.

2. Round 5 2006, v Essendon by a point was pretty sweet.

Add/comment.

Ive missed a few good ones e.g. Dixon goal after the 2001 v Carlton would have been good.
:thumbsu:
I have nothing more to add. Both these games were brilliant. If only for the outcomes.

When I was a kid, the only games I got to go to were the Hawks v Geelong here down here at Kardinia Park.
Strangely enough, we'd usually win and it'd generally be late in the year so I think two years running Dunstall kicked his ton there, and we got to run on and give him a pat... how things have changed!

KingRich said:

We played Sydney in that game. And yes i remember being in the middle of the ground with grass flying everywhere. Even people in the stands were ripping the seats apart! It was a sad day when i walked out of the ground for the last time. :(

But yes, for me that was my favourite game.:thumbsu:

Long live Waverly!

Adelaide Hawk said:
Two matches I WISH I'd been to:

1. Round 20, 1992 when we defeated Essendon by 160 points.

2. Round 7, 1992 when Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond.

I've always regretted not being in Melbourne for those matches. :)

was at the first game rd20 v essendon, gee it was great, it was a 'mini final' with the winner in the 6 and the loser gone, i remember essendon kicking the first goal, listening to the morons crowing early and thinking here we go again, then we just turned it on. Was great.

Wish I was at Dunstalls 17.

Anyone remember a game v North mid 93 when the kangas were on top and the 'glamour' team. 4 points down, 1 min to go dunstall has a shot 30 out boundary, hits the post. We get the rebound from the kick in straight to Dunstall, same spot 30 sec lefft, he drills it. Pure gold.

It probably doesn't compare to the others you've listed, but this year against Essendon I was right in front of Willo when he held that mark and kicked that goal in the dying minutes.
The desperation in defence for the remaining moments was almost more than I could bear. The feeling if relief and rapture was as close to the feeling of winning a Grand Final as I've ever had the privelage of experiencing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the last Waverley game and Dunstall's last game (against Freo at Waverley, there were about 49,900 Hawks fans and 10 Freo fans there!) Both great games but nothing compares to Hawks Vs Melbourne 1996

ALSO I went to Hawks Vs Saints when we came back from 64 points down!

haydnoconnor said:
I went to the last Waverley game and Dunstall's last game (against Freo at Waverley, there were about 49,900 Hawks fans and 10 Freo fans there!) Both great games but nothing compares to Hawks Vs Melbourne 1996

ALSO I went to Hawks Vs Saints when we came back from 64 points down!
Anyone go to the Ansett Cup Grand Final?

One of the most exciting 'football' games I have been to, I honestly thought we were on the verge of something...

cussernaut said:
was at the first game rd20 v essendon, gee it was great, it was a 'mini final' with the winner in the 6 and the loser gone, i remember essendon kicking the first goal, listening to the morons crowing early and thinking here we go again, then we just turned it on. Was great.

Wish I was at Dunstalls 17.

Anyone remember a game v North mid 93 when the kangas were on top and the 'glamour' team. 4 points down, 1 min to go dunstall has a shot 30 out boundary, hits the post. We get the rebound from the kick in straight to Dunstall, same spot 30 sec lefft, he drills it. Pure gold.

Thats awesome - they are the 3 games that immediately came to my mind. The Essendon game was just freakish because, if i remember correctly, we kicked 8 goals in each of the quarters. Dunstall kicked 12.8;Jimmy Morrissey kicked 2 freak goals from the boundary line in the first term; and first year player Richard taylor kicked 4 for the game. Just an awesome game.

Dunstall's 17 was surreal. He had 11 at half time. To give you an idea how well he was going, i remember at the scoreboard end (2nd term) he had just kicked a behind. He ran down to stand the mark and the Richmond player who was kicking out hit him on the chest 15 metres out right in front. He went back and drilled it. I looked at my sister and she said 'he will get the record today.' So close................. The last term he had 2 chances to get 18 - Pritchard ran in to the open goal and almost stopped to give him the handball over the top but Dunstalls opponent (i think Turner at that stage, maybe Jeff Hogg) didnt budge. Pritch had to kick it himself. Then in time on, Turner took off down the ground and Dunstall chased him! We got the turnover and ran towards the goals, but JD was stuck on the wing after chasing his man. Should have been selfish that one time!

The North game was a favourite because it was the top 2 sides in the comp at the time. Carey on fire;Adrian McAdam (remember him) was the next big thing and we were the same old hawks! Again Dunstall the hero at the end. First hitting the top of the post; then drilling a goal with a minute left. It was a cold Friday night at the MCG but i remeber the atmosphere just being awesome.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Round 6, 1989: Hawthorn v Geelong at Princes Park. 51 goals for the match, the Hawks down by 55 points early in the third quarter and won by 8 points. Those were the days when teams played FOOTBALL!!!!

Without a doubt!!

This was the first game I thought of when I read the thread title.

At half time I was in total shock. The Geelong midfield of Couch, Bairstowe and Hocking was in complete control and Gary Ablett was giving Dipper possibly the biggest touch up he'd ever had on the wing. Then came the great move. The move that got us out of trouble on more than a few occasions. You all know what it was....

Ayres to the centre.

Ablett faded, our forward line picked up, Dermott whacked Mark Yeates, Geelong kept kicking goals (Excell got nine), but the Hawks kicked more. The game had turned from a one way drubbing to a shootout. It's not as if Geelong layed down, it's just that Hawthorn's second half was even better than the Cat's first half.
I've got it on tape and it still stands as the best game I've seen.

Honorable mentions to JD's 17 goals against the Tiges at Waverley, and the game where Brereton kicked 11 against the Tigers at the MCG with 3 broken ribs and an inflatable vest under his jumper.

But I also have to mention the State Of Origin in '89 against Sth Australia at the "G" with 97,000 and we flogged them by 90 something points. One particular moment sticks in my mind, no, it's not when Andy Collins dragged Tony Hall down from behind and put him out for a year, It's when Dermott came off the bench and 90,000 Victorians who had bayed for his blood for 7 years finally had an excuse to come out of the closet. The noise was deafening, the Vics tore SA a new a*** and then we all stood in Wellington Parade, drank VB and played two up.:D :D :D :D

Gorry said:
But I also have to mention the State Of Origin in '89 against Sth Australia at the "G" with 97,000 and we flogged them by 90 something points. One particular moment sticks in my mind, no, it's not when Andy Collins dragged Tony Hall down from behind and put him out for a year, It's when Dermott came off the bench and 90,000 Victorians who had bayed for his blood for 7 years finally had an excuse to come out of the closet. The noise was deafening, the Vics tore SA a new a*** and then we all stood in Wellington Parade, drank VB and played two up.:D :D :D :D

Yes, I was there .... supporting SA :) The Victorian team was the closest thing to a football "dream team" there has ever been, it's no wonder they spanked us.

I remember some of my mates who had never been to the MCG before were wondering what sort of crowd it would be. I was watching as people were streaming into the ground and told them there could be 90,000 people there that day, and that's what happened. Proof that if you put the talent on display, people will attend. Lockett and Dunstall together on the same forward line .. awesome.

The only truly sour moment was when Tony Hall injured his knee. SA were getting thumped as I watched a star Hawk sitting on the ground clutching his knee in agony and knew his season (and perhaps his career) was over.

As trainers were helping him onto a stretcher, this idiot behind me kept shouting at Hall to stop being weak and walk of the ground like a real man. I stood up and told him if he didn't shut his stupid mouth, Hall wouldn't be the only one to leave the ground on a stretcher. I can't stand morons at football matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best game been too (non final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back