Seriously

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, HRT, AUFC, Socceroos
Did anyone else hear the call from Dennis Cometti today?

He said the the old prison bar jumper was the best in Aussie Rules footy history and was dissapointed that we aren't wearing it in the AFL. :thumbsu:

Yep heard him say that with about 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. Remember Westhoff took a mark and had a shot for goal. Like how he said it's even better than West Perth's. The club should get a copy of it in case heritage round every comes back again and we have to go thru the usual BS. Said even a black and teal PB design should be considered.

Ok before this thread gets out of hand.

I didn't start this thread to be another 'which jumper is better thread' I started it beacuse I couldn't believe that the best commentator in the AFL* said that and the extra bit of publicity we got from it.

* that is IMO, but I assume that it is the opinion of most people.

There will always be an element (a larger element, imo) of our supporter base who will not be satisfied until we revert to a jumper that is a black white and teal derivation of our true prison bars/wharf post guernsey design.

However, this flies in the face of another element of our club's thinking which is to differentiate and distance ourselves from the original PAFC brand and become apparetly more inclusive to a larger par tof the SA market.

For the record - I am in the former category and I think we were all pleased with the Lucy design because it is more "football" like rather than a populist/modern/fashion statement. However, I was bemused that we bit the bullet to change our guernsey that we entered the AFL with, won a premiership and then didn't go the whole 9 yards and embrace a derivation of our true identity. Personally, I'd be pushing hard to use our real guernsey for matches against all comers except Collingwood and I would be happy for us to agree to use a clash strip in all games against Collingwood (home AND away) ad infinitum.

And I responded because like Seriously, it was a wonderful surprise to hear the commentator who is most widely respect as the best in the land, make such a definitive and unambiguous statement about our how great our old SANFL jumper is.

No this shouldn't turn into another alternative jumper thread but recognition that our board and management was always on a hiding to nothing in the mid 1990's to find a jumper as unique and as great. The original AFL home jumper was unique but not great. The BiB is fantastic, but it isn't unique and it can never match the old jumper but it is a bloody good second best.

And remember it is a wharf and piers design - before it became known as the prison bar. No other team at senior level across Australia, maybe in any sport in Australia, has come up with a design that signifies it community better than the wharf and piers design that says we are a team from a port. That's why that design must never be given up by the Port Adelaide Football Community.

ok before this thread gets out of hand.

I didn't start this thread to be another 'which jumper is better thread' i started it beacuse i couldn't believe that the best commentator in the afl* said that and the extra bit of publicity we got from it.

* that is imo, but i assume that it is the opinion of most people.

totally agree!!! Some of the best one liners ive ever heard ever!!

And remember it is a wharf and piers design - before it became known as the prison bar. No other team at senior level across Australia, maybe in any sport in Australia, has come up with a design that signifies it community better than the wharf and piers design that says we are a team from a port. That's why that design must never be given up by the Port Adelaide Football Community.

I agree with this. It's a great Australian sporting jumper. The only other one that comes close for its significance to its community is South Sydney's. The red blood of the rabbit on the green shirts of the sellers (Rabbitoh's).

I agree with this. It's a great Australian sporting jumper. The only other one that comes close for its significance to its community is South Sydney's. The red blood of the rabbit on the green shirts of the sellers (Rabbitoh's).

2hyugc4.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised he said "I like Port" in a matter of fact way when they were having this discussion considering other things he's said that made me think he might not be too big a fan. I think these people still think "the Magpies are still the great Port with the great jumper but at least the new Port are finding their feet". But at least we aren't a pile of shit right off the bat to general perception though, what with that lightening bolt jumper and flakey gamestyle. we even started pissing these neutrals who are willing to give us a go off with our terrible style that seemed unbeatable until we had to run the other way. but now it's good, times are better, we're playing accountable football.

he is right, we should see how teal prison bars go in real form.

It was a pretty positive commentary box in our direction yesterday despite the Benfest. They almost started barracking for free kicks for us in the third quarter.

It was a pretty positive commentary box in our direction yesterday despite the Benfest. They almost started barracking for free kicks for us in the third quarter.
Can't recall who made the comment, don't think it was Dennis or Bruce, but when the umpiring was clearly favouring Richmond in the third quarter someone said that the umpires must feel sorry for Richmond.

That's because we got hit in the head, grabbed over the shoulders, pushed in the back and tripped several times in the third quarter that were blatant. How the umpires missed them is beyond me. It felt like the umpires were trying to get the Tigers back into the game. I wasn't too concerned about the free kicks the umpires did pay - they paid a couple of soft shockers, and those useless holding the ball in packs decisions - but jeez how many blatant ones did they miss especially the first 8 to 10 minutes of the third quarter??

I have always got the feeling that Dennis Cometti likes and respects Port. He is my favourite commentator by a long way.

As for the jumper, imo it is best to leave it in the past. Part of our history, our tradition, but we have entered a new era now. But then again I am a new Port supporter and therefore have little emotional connection to the old guernsey.

I have always got the feeling that Dennis Cometti likes and respects Port. He is my favourite commentator by a long way.

As for the jumper, imo it is best to leave it in the past. Part of our history, our tradition, but we have entered a new era now. But then again I am a new Port supporter and therefore have little emotional connection to the old guernsey.
I am an old supporter and I agree we should forget about the prison bars/wharf guernsey.
We have an exciting all new black one now, however I would have liked to see the white square on the back with black numbers.

Love our current guernsey, but loved the fact that commetti not only commented on our traditional one being the best, but instead partaking in a masturbation session over it with mcavaney on television audio.

FWIW, despite their great voices, I found yesterday's commentating totally against us and quite deplorable - although they would've been instructed to play up Cuz no doubt.

For a while now I've thought that Foxtel has some great commentators with Matthew Campbell and Dwayne Russell being probably the best. They may come across as 'w***ers' but they have extensive knowledge of every (most) clubs and rarely show any bias.

Channel Ten is just absolutely shocking. Lloyd, Lucas, Underwood, Lane, Walls, Mahr (sp?) etc.

Love the Cometti...he's a champ!

Personally I love the new jumper and I don't think we should ever change from it. The new jumper really identifies us as a South Australian team (since it mimics the design of the state jumper) whilst the predominately black colour definitely has a Port feel about it. I don't think we could make it any better really.

I reckon it would be great though if we started a tradition of wearing the prison bars once a year, sort of how Freo has their "purple haze" game with the home jumper minus the red/green. It would be a great way to honour our sanfl heritage and I reckon plenty of fans would want to buy them aswell. We don't get the chance to wear it anymore since they stopped doing heritage round and it would be a great way to stir up some publicity for the club and get Eddie having an annual cry about it! Maybe we could wear it in the home showdown every year or the first game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Jumper Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back