2007 - Dangerfield
2008 - Hannebury
2009 - Fyfe
2010 - Heppell
2011 - Wingard
2012 - Stringer
2013 - Bontempelli
2014 - Heeney

Obviously the later ones are harder to picked but based on credentials those are probably the best players in their respective draft class.

I obviously count All Australian selections as the highest accolade rather than best and fairests, as its a competition wide award rather than an individual club award. 2003 and 2010 the hardest to do.
With all due respect, Cox is better than Riewoldt. While Reiwoldt has been an amazing player. Cox redifined the role of a ruckman. He is easily the best player in that draft.

Rockliff not even in the frame? He was All Australian in 2014. How many times have Sidebottom and Sloane made the All Australian squad? 0. Rockliff>Sloane>Sidebottom.
Y
Meh, If you look at my posting history you will see that I really rate Sidebottom, and so do a lot of other footy clubs, North Melbourne and Essendon spring to mind who've offered him big contracts. You're welcome to vigorously argue that Rockliff is better than Sidey based on AA or whatever other stats YOU select, but I watch the game with my eyes and I'm very, very comfortable that Sidey is a better and a more quality footballer than Rockliff.

And, what I'm hearing from some rumors floating around on these boards about Rockliff being a deutshe, a much better bloke than him too.

Y
Meh, If you look at my posting history you will see that I really rate Sidebottom, and so do a lot of other footy clubs, North Melbourne and Essendon spring to mind who've offered him big contracts. You're welcome to vigorously argue that Rockliff is better than Sidey based on AA or whatever other stats YOU select, but I watch the game with my eyes and I'm very, very comfortable that Sidey is a better and a more quality footballer than Rockliff.

And, what I'm hearing from some rumors floating around on these boards about Rockliff being a deutshe, a much better bloke than him too.

Maybe if you open both eyes when watching Steele. ;)

I love Steele and would love him to play for my team in an instant, but I'm assuming you'd rank mid-career Swan above him. Rocky's best playing comparison at the moment is that mid-career Swan - runs, racks up the possession, good in the guts, but Collingwood's better forward line at the time meant Swan's ability to throw the ball on his foot came off looking a lot better than Rocky's shorter but safer link work, resulting in Swan having more damaging clearances. I think Steele is still improving to some degree and should be talking more responsibility in Collingwood's midfield though, so I don't think it's set in stone yet.

Of the 2000's.

2000 - Riewoldt
2001 - Ablett Jnr
2002 - Goddard
2003 - Mundy
2004 - Franklin
2005 - Pendelbury
2006 - Selwood
2007 - Dangerfield
2008 - Hannebury
2009 - Fyfe
2010 - Heppell
2011 - Wingard
2012 - Stringer
2013 - Bontempelli
2014 - Heeney

Obviously the later ones are harder to picked but based on credentials those are probably the best players in their respective draft class.

I obviously count All Australian selections as the highest accolade rather than best and fairests, as its a competition wide award rather than an individual club award. 2003 and 2010 the hardest to do.

I will keep going - 1997!!!
Some years is tough so I have added the players in contention and highlighted the player I would take.

1999 - J Brown/M Pavlich
1998 - L Hayes
1997 - S Black/A Goodes/M Scarlett
1996 - B Pickett/N Brown
1995 - B Harvey/B Hall
1994 - S Lucas/S Grant/M O'Loughlin
1993 - N Lappin/B Johnson
1992 - J Leppitisch
1991 - S Crawford
1990 - J Hird
1989 - P Matera
1988 - C Grant

Maybe if you open both eyes when watching Steele. ;)

I love Steele and would love him to play for my team in an instant, but I'm assuming you'd rank mid-career Swan above him. Rocky's best playing comparison at the moment is that mid-career Swan - runs, racks up the possession, good in the guts, but Collingwood's better forward line at the time meant Swan's ability to throw the ball on his foot came off looking a lot better than Rocky's shorter but safer link work, resulting in Swan having more damaging clearances. I think Steele is still improving to some degree and should be talking more responsibility in Collingwood's midfield though, so I don't think it's set in stone yet.

I get it, Rockliff's probably about as good as Swan was at the end of 2008. But, surely there are other comparisons you could have used. Swan will finish his career as one of Collingwood's greatest ever footballers. Rockliff will and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Swan, not in some mid career comparison, not now and not ever. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the Bulldogs can lay claim to 6 'best in draft players'. The jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 but the other ones are pretty hard to argue against:
1988 - Chris Grant
1993 - Brad Johnson
1996 - Nathan Brown
2003 - Adam Cooney
2012 - Jake Stringer
2013 - Marcus Bontempelli

Last edited:
I reckon the Bulldogs can lay claim to 6 'best in draft players'. The jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 but the other ones are pretty hard to argue against:
1988 - Chris Grant
1993 - Brad Johnson
1996 - Nathan Brown
2003 - Adam Cooney
2012 - Jake Stringer
2013 - Marcus Bontempelli

Grant and Johnson yes. While Tredrea was a zone selection he falls into the 1996 draft and trumps Brown. Cooney's peak was highest in his draft, but Shaw is contention too. Far too early to even lay a claim for drafts from 3 and 4 years ago, especially given the high level of talent in both of them.

I'd have Sloane ahead. He does more and is much harder at the contest
Hardness vs. Silk.
I dunno, I think Sidebottom is more "brilliant", Sloane is less fashionable but is harder than mornings.

Grant and Johnson yes. While Tredrea was a zone selection he falls into the 1996 draft and trumps Brown. Cooney's peak was highest in his draft, but Shaw is contention too. Far too early to even lay a claim for drafts from 3 and 4 years ago, especially given the high level of talent in both of them.

OK didn't realise Tredrea was 1996
I would still pick Cooney over Shaw in 2003 - Shaw has been a reliable workhorse but Cooney had 4 or 5 years of elite form (and a Brownlow) before injury pulled him back to sporadic busts of his old self.
I did mention that the jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 but if there was a book running those players would be the shortest odds... just saying...

OK didn't realise Tredrea was 1996
I would still pick Cooney over Shaw in 2003 - Shaw has been a reliable workhorse but Cooney had 4 or 5 years of elite form (and a Brownlow) before injury pulled him back to sporadic busts of his old self.
I did mention that the jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 but if there was a book running those players would be the shortest odds... just saying...

Realistically Cooney had a handful of good years surrounding one elite year as reflected by his B&F results.

From 2005 onwards: 5th, 7th, 5th, 2nd, 7th, 8th, DNP, DNP, 7th, DNP, DNP.

With all due respect, Cox is better than Riewoldt. While Reiwoldt has been an amazing player. Cox redifined the role of a ruckman. He is easily the best player in that draft.
How did he redifine the ruck role? If anything Polly Farmer did back in the 60s.
Not a chance I'd take Cox over Riewoldt. Sure cox was a great player, probably the best ruck in modern afl but Riewoldt is still by far the more valuable player.

How did he redifine the ruck role? If anything Polly Farmer did back in the 60s.
Not a chance I'd take Cox over Riewoldt. Sure cox was a great player, probably the best ruck in modern afl but Riewoldt is still by far the more valuable player.
What's the point of discussing this with a WC supporter?

Of course he's going to say Cox lol!

Remove this Banner Ad

Best player in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back