Remove this Banner Ad

Mitt Romney

Senior List
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea
Which ruckmen do you think have been the best since 2000? Was thinking about my top 5 the other day, and other than having Dean Cox at #1, Sandi at #2 and maybe Naitanui as an honourable mention, I didn't get very far. What does Big Footy think? I think this could make for a very entertaining discussion.

I think if Sandi was fit and on the park I'd pick him at no. 1. In terms of body of work Cox wins.

Honorable mention to Ottens and Keating who consistently performed at the only time it really matters (and managed to be injured for the rest)

Finally Josh Fraser because he was a powerhouse.

Sandi would have been the best if he had of stayed uninjured. Put him in the side = %100 assured total ruck domination.

Cox wins because of his durability.

No one comes close to those 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox.

Plain and simple.

Think Grundy and Kreuzer will leave there mark in next 5-6 years.

Grundy looks very smart, deft little palms and smart around the contests. But he's played like 5 games and it's a far way away from a Premiership winning champion like Dean Cox, or hit-out king like Sandilands.

Kreuzer is laughable though. For such a big boy, he is one of the softest blokes going around. So, so soft.

Cox
Sandi
Ottens a distant third

At various points in the last 10 years you could make a case for

Lade
White
Hille
Jamar
Primus
Jolly
Gardiner
King
Naitanui

1. Dean Cox
2. Aaron Sandilands
3. Brad Ottens
4. Matthew Primus (was dominant in the early 00's but injuries ruined him)
5. Brendon Lade
6. Jeff White
7. Peter Everitt
8. Luke Darcy
9. Darren Jolly

Very rough list (ruckmen are hard to split) but Ottens would be my clear 3rd. Big game player and was very good up forward.

Naitanui? Naaaaa, not yet. Not sure how 2 good years since 2000 see him mentioned.

Cox by a mile.

Kreuzer is laughable though. For such a big boy, he is one of the softest blokes going around. So, so soft.

He's far from the best ruck, but if you think Kreuzer is soft then you should really watch his game closer. He's far from soft. Just because he doesn't dish out big hits doesn't mean he's soft.

He leaves the field from the blood rule more than any player I've ever seen.

Laughable suggestion really. That said, he needs to impose himself against the man. He's a wrecking ball going for the pill though.

Cox and Sandi clear two best.
Think Grundy and Kreuzer will leave there mark in next 5-6 years.
Interesting that you put Grundy and Kreuzer in the same boat. I don't know if it's an insult to Kreuzer or a compliment to Grundy? Kreuzer has played 105 games, he's 24 (so arguably at the peak of his physical form), and I personally don't really rate him. Grundy has played 7 games and gets the same wrap as Kreuzer. Not disagreeing with you as such, just asking if this will finally be the breakthrough for Matthew Kreuzer. I know he's had injuries, but Carlton have played 157 games since he debuted, 105 games is a long time to show whether or not you're good enough. If I was Carltpn I'd strongly consider using him as trade bait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best ruckman since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back