Best ruckman since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox has been the best H&A ruckman.

The slight on him that Jolly & Ottens have performed at a superior level when it counts most.

Since 2000, it's hard to go past Cox.

Sandi has been dominant in probably the last 5 years, Jolly was good during the premiership years at Sydney and Collingwood.

A few special mentions would go to Brendan Lade, Jeff White & Matthew Primus.

Cox by a mile.

He's far from the best ruck, but if you think Kreuzer is soft then you should really watch his game closer. He's far from soft. Just because he doesn't dish out big hits doesn't mean he's soft.

He leaves the field from the blood rule more than any player I've ever seen.

Laughable suggestion really. That said, he needs to impose himself against the man. He's a wrecking ball going for the pill though.

goodletst16-png.30029

Cox has been the best H&A ruckman.

The slight on him that Jolly & Ottens have performed at a superior level when it counts most.

Jolly played in more evenly spread teams. Cox did just fine in Finals and toweled Jolly up in the 2006 GF.
It was Jason Ball who did the damage against WC in the 2005 GF, not Jolly.

Not saying he's top five or anything, but I reckon Steven King deserves a mention.

Jeff White would have been remembered as one of the best of his generation, had it not been for the change to the centre circle that killed him. Spida Everitt might not have been much of a bloke, but he was a sensational player. Michael Gardiner was another fantastic ruckman who just seemed to have a screw loose.

I believe Adam Cooney has won 100% of the ruck contests he's had against Dean Cox, and is massively better around the ground, so he'd have to be number 1.

Dean Cox
Aaron Sandilands
Darren Jolly
Brendon Lade
Matthew Primus
Stephen King
Peter Everitt
Brad Ottens
Clark Keating
Jeff White

I think Ottens was ahead of King - Geelong did too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Dean Cox
2. Aaron Sandilands
3. Brad Ottens
4. Matthew Primus (was dominant in the early 00's but injuries ruined him)
5. Brendon Lade
6. Jeff White
7. Peter Everitt
8. Luke Darcy
9. Darren Jolly

Very rough list (ruckmen are hard to split) but Ottens would be my clear 3rd. Big game player and was very good up forward.

Naitanui? Naaaaa, not yet. Not sure how 2 good years since 2000 see him mentioned.

I reckon this is pretty bloody close. I would have Primus down a bit, purely as his best was probably pre-2000/early 2000, and would have Lade ahead up at 4. I would slot in Ben Hudson at 10.

Surely has added extra spice to the derbys with the top 2 tucks battling it out. Looks like NN and Clarke could repeat this over the next decade. What is with the WA teams and good rucks?? Any word on how Chad sandilands is developing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best ruckman since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back