Best season by an individual you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
I started watching games each week in 1993 and to this day I still rate Ablett's efforts that year to be the best individual season by a player that I have watched.

Another season I rate quite highly (not number 2 but up there) is Crawford's 1999.

What is the best season by an individual that you have seen? What are some other individual's seasons that you rate very highly?

I started watching games each week in 1993 and to this day I still rate Ablett's efforts that year to be the best individual season by a player that I have watched.

Another season I rate quite highly (not number 2 but up there) is Crawford's 1999.

What is the best season by an individual that you have seen? What are some other individual's seasons that you rate very highly?

Stynes had a good year the year he won, Kouta had a mad year one year

A good question and not a standard on BigFooty.

Franklin would have to be up there. He cost himself a 130+ goal season with poor kicking. Bit disappointing that he's never reached the same heights again (despite remaining a superstar).

Rather than commenting the usual years of the modern era (Kouta 2000, Judd 2006, Ablett 09/10, Franklin 2008) figure I'll point out a season that is never really brought up.

Jonathan Brown, 2006. Played the first 10 games of the year. Was as dominant as any player in the comp at any time over the past 15 years in that short stretch. Just a shame that injury took him down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather than commenting the usual years of the modern era (Kouta 2000, Judd 2006, Ablett 09/10, Franklin 2008) figure I'll point out a season that is never really brought up.

Jonathan Brown, 2006. Played the first 10 games of the year. Was as dominant as any player in the comp at any time over the past 15 years in that short stretch. Just a shame that injury took him down.

Should be noted that he was averaging over 10 marks and 3.5 goals a game and was leading the Brownlow Medal comfortably at round 10. Massive figures for a CHF and his impact on games that year can't be understated.

My favourite season of any player in the last 10 years was Matthew Richardson 2008. Not sure if he broke the marks record for a season but he would have come close. Played rejuvenated on a wing and this was the season that almost single-handedly won over all his critics. Was great to see his last hurrah as a player, he was playing elite football week in, week out.

I'm a bit of a sucker for great CHFs dominating the comp so other than this I'd say N. Riewoldt in 2009 and 2004. Once again averaging something like 11 marks and 3 goals a game over those years and just being huge for his club in their push for a flag. Also dominated two finals in 2009 to get his team to the GF, obviously we know what happened that day but nonetheless a tour de force that year.

None of these examples show Ablett snr-like numbers but they are in a very very different era to be playing in.

Kouta 1999 and 2000
Carey 1993 and 1996
GAS 1989 and 1993
Modra 1993
GAJ 2007 and 2009
Peter Matera 1997
Goddard 2010
Daicos 1990

Corey McKernan in 1996 was simply better, by a distance, than any player in the league, including Carey.

Carey's 1998 was simply unbelievable. The year of Pagan's Paddock.

Peter Hudson was a sensation especially in 1970 and 71. 146 and 150 goals respectively.

His career was cut shory but when you look at ti he is statistically the greatest FF of all

1967 was his 1st season and a 21 yo, kicked 57 goals then went

1968 125 goals
1969 120 goals
1970 146 goals
1971 150 goals

1972 8 goals (didan ACL in 2nd Q of 1st game of the season, had already kicked 8 )

1977 Came back to Hawks fo 1 season and kicked 100 after essentially five season out of VFL and 31 years of age. Might of topped the 100 10 x if not injured in 72

Freak

Remove this Banner Ad

Best season by an individual you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back