Big 3 could control revamped ICC

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible idea. There is absolutely no point of having a relegation system when particular teams can't even be relegated. If you're not good enough, you're not good enough. Imagine Man Utd not being able to be relegated, the outrage by all the other teams. Would be one of the worst things for the sport; ever.

Not overly keen on this. The non relegation rule is ridiculous, but let's be serious, those 3 countries would never be relegated anyway. Scrap that rule.

I don't like the line about ECB, CA and BCCI getting a larger share in the revenue. Every nation should simply get their share. I'm sure there are people out there with a better knowledge of finance than I do that could work out a way where nations get their fair share of revenue. If Australia or India end up with more, fine, it as long as they deserve it, not just because of an arbitrary percentage allocation of total revenue.

I'm not a huge fan of the BCCI-CA-ECB triumvirate, but on the other hand it simplifies what's basically been going on behind the scenes for the last decade anyway.

As for pro/rel, the "exemptions" need to be done away with, but otherwise it's exactly what Test Cricket needs. There's no reason why Bangladesh or Zimbabwe should have a free pass ahead of the other associates.

Shit for cricket

I'm looking at it more from the point of view of counteracting India's present hold on the ICC.

Mate. That went out years ago. It's long since become the BCCI, ECB, CA alliance.

The main problem with this is the getting rid of the FTP- you need it for a proper pro/rel system.
And of course the exemption.

It's not like Australia, England or India would ever get relegated on merit really.

I'm looking at it more from the point of view of counteracting India's present hold on the ICC.

By basically replacing the ICC with a CA-ECB-BCCI coalition? And how will this prevent the BCCI in 10-20 years time manoeuvring to remove CA and the ECB? Edwards has been instrumental in setting up better governance for CA. It's a shame he doesn't want to do the same with the ICC

Will be the death of test cricket as a legitimate sport, we will still have the regular ashes and few other series but without the ftp teams like sri lanka pakistan nz and west indies will not get many test series against the big boys and will favour the shorter forms against each other as they will need that revenue just to scrape by.

The ability to simply opt out of any test series for alleged financial reasons would make any bilateral agreements completely useless and ensure that the big teams can play just each other and lock everybody else out and that the small teams then have to lock out test cricket just to survive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

death of cricket in west indies and other smaller competitors.
Can't see why we can't have a 'security council' set up, with one representative from the test playing nations and rotating 2 year for every other nation.
Will still see pakistan/india/SL/Bangaladesh block vote and NZ/SA/England/Aus block votes but I think it would be better than transfer of power to 3 nations.

It will be the death knell of countries like Afghanistan and Ireland stepping up too. They will not be able to lock in the big countries after the initial hype has worn off

Shit for cricket

Mate. That went out years ago. It's long since become the BCCI, ECB, CA alliance.

The main problem with this is the getting rid of the FTP- you need it for a proper pro/rel system.
And of course the exemption.

It's not like Australia, England or India would ever get relegated on merit really.
It was only a few months ago that we lost seven tests in a row. But for a few important decisions being made - Arthur being sacked being one of them - we could have been staring down the barrel right now.

This sounds like the lunatics running the asylum to me.

It would be like handing the three or four most powerful clubs excessive power in the running of the AFL.

If anything, the ICC should be heading more toward independent control of the game, not the opposite.

I don't like it.

Does the term "blockbuster game" mean anything to you? :)
I'm aware of the influence the powerful clubs have, yes.

But the AFL has made decisions - or persisted with policies - that have gone against the grain of those clubs as well. Give member clubs (or in the ICC's case countries) too much power or influence, and would that still occur? Doubt it.

That's what worries me here. We didn't like it when India had too much power, I don't see how this is any different - other than to dilute India's influence (perhaps).

By basically replacing the ICC with a CA-ECB-BCCI coalition? And how will this prevent the BCCI in 10-20 years time manoeuvring to remove CA and the ECB? Edwards has been instrumental in setting up better governance for CA. It's a shame he doesn't want to do the same with the ICC

A very, very good question which is not being asked by CA. I would trust India about as far as I could kick them.

India has less of a love for Test cricket than the variety of shorter forms that generate more money (either legally or otherwise).

At least CA and ECB are more likely to see Test cricket as having some intrinsic value over and above cash.

It was only a few months ago that we lost seven tests in a row. But for a few important decisions being made - Arthur being sacked being one of them - we could have been staring down the barrel right now.

Against India and England.

In a proper pro/rel system we'd also play the West Indies, Sri Lanka, New Zealand home and away and the other nations at home.

We would win enough games to avoid relegation.

I'm aware of the influence the powerful clubs have, yes.

But the AFL has made decisions - or persisted with policies - that have gone against the grain of those clubs as well. Give member clubs (or in the ICC's case countries) too much power or influence, and would that still occur? Doubt it.

Correct. This would be like Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast joining together to create a new AFL Commision (with those three clubs having vetos) and creating two ten team divisions with Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast been exempt from relegation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big 3 could control revamped ICC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back