Big 3 could control revamped ICC

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted by ThePacifist10 on (January 23, 2014, 12:38 GMT) - Featured comment
Utter nonsense from the BCCI. As an Indian fan, I'd love to see Junaid locking horns with Kohli, Gayle attempt to smash Bhuvneshwar and Amla battling Shami in the Bullring. Sheer engrossing entertainment. Cricket can't afford to lose such engrossing contests.
Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Sourav Ganguly. Five influential and right-minded human beings. You once guys preserved the honour of India on as well as off the field during your careers. For the sake your worthy successors and your fervent fans, we ask you to do this once more. The sport needs to be saved. You guys are the knights in shining armour we're all just waiting for. Desperately.

A lot of Indian fans are dead set against the BCCI as well.

That's a very small minority you're seeing posting on cricinfo and other cricket message boards. The majority vote with their feet in making the IPL and other forms of franchise cricket so lucrative and such an attractive prospect to the administrators seeking to line their pockets.

Australia and England are just as culpable in having a more sustainable test product, yet still crushing its growth in the smaller nations, again with dollar signs in their eyes.

Cricket has always been a very political game, and we're seeing the horrible product of the two intersecting before our eyes.

According to the BBC, reports from India, which generates more than 70 per cent of cricket revenue, speculate that N. Srinivasan, the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), is expected to ask that India host an ICC event once every three years.- DNA India

According to the BBC, reports from India, which generates more than 70 per cent of cricket revenue, speculate that N. Srinivasan, the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), is expected to ask that India host an ICC event once every three years.- DNA India

doesn't the proposed draft guarantee them hosting an ICC event every 2 years?

The poorer teams will pretty much have to stop playing tests so we have to be realistic, the ashes are huge for us who grew up watching test cricket as the pinnacle but with fewer and fewer tests to watch and play the next generation will not grow up seeing tests or even the ashes as the pinnacle of thee sport, they will want to play and watch a game all the countries still compete in.

This proposal isn't just the death of test cricket it's the murder of test cricket, and our greedy short sighted board are responsible.

doesn't the proposed draft guarantee them hosting an ICC event every 2 years?

England and India pretty much get something every 3 years or so already. Not much will change there.

Australia has always been on the arse end of world anythings in cricket due to time zone but then it's worse if you are a Pakistan fan. You get about 0% of **** all when it's tournament time.

So that justifies letting it die then?

No, but if other countries' boards are going to lose out on ICC money, they are going to want to play matches that make some sort of profit which means short format games outside of any tours from the Big Three (mainly India for that matter). You can't blame any of the poorer boards for that.

Test cricket isn't dying like a lot of people want us to believe, I go to India often on holidays love the country and speaking to locals they love Test cricket. Yes they go to the IPL etc but for majority of Indians Test cricket is what they want, I have been reading a few Indian forums and about 80% hate the BBCI and hate what they are trying to do.

The problem is also the political issues between India and Pakistan which I can understand, Pakistan have used terrorist to attack India for decades now, you can hardly expect India to say hey it's ok come kill our people but we will play cricket against you. The India v Pakistan rivalry is about a million times bigger than Australia v England rivalry, and the lack of cricket between these two countries is also hurting test cricket as a whole at the moment.

The problem is also the political issues between India and Pakistan which I can understand, Pakistan have used terrorist to attack India for decades now, you can hardly expect India to say hey it's ok come kill our people but we will play cricket against you. The India v Pakistan rivalry is about a million times bigger than Australia v England rivalry, and the lack of cricket between these two countries is also hurting test cricket as a whole at the moment.

Saying that Pakistan have used terrorists to attack India is like saying that Australia has used bogans to beat up Indian students.

Such a big story, pretty shithouse the amount of attention it is getting over here.

I just hate india so much. That's probably harsh, what I hate is greed, and the people running Indian cricket are just endlessly greedy.

I'm with you but in a different way.

I don't mind that those running Indian cricket are greedy. That's what capitalism is all about. It also drives Western business and government and is what caused the GFC.

Why I hate India at the moment is that Indian cricket - like much in Indian business and culture - is corrupt. I'm less concerned about the death of Test cricket than I am about losing interest in a sport which will turn into WWE wrestling in terms of how little people believe it's real. The sporting public will end up being served a diet of endless T20 matches with the constant thought that it's been rigged.

Let's face it, the ICC has turned a blind eye to illegal bookies on the subcontinent not because they don't think fixing is real ... it's because they're powerless to do anything about it. Now imagine a world governing body - the BCCI - running world cricket that is comfortable with it because it's a part of their culture.

Because that's where we're headed with India in charge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying that Pakistan have used terrorists to attack India is like saying that Australia has used bogans to beat up Indian students.

Nah. There are pretty major links between Pakistani governent/military and some of the terrorist groups.

There is little market growth and development in cricket but a lot of redistribution. The working paper proposal would serve only to exacerbate that problem. There is no development of cricket's products, though the most lucrative bilaterals can now be played even more often. And there is a clear aim to reduce the scope of ICC operations under the guise of cost-cutting, a lot of re-accounting to increase distributions to Full Members (but mostly the big three) at the expense of ICC programmes and independence.

For the most part the proposal leaves cricket exactly where it is now, and that is a very short-sighted solution to very real problems. The ICC certainly needed reform, but any change also needed to build on what was there. Limiting the only multilateral body capable of moving the game forward is a backwards step. This proposal is a power-and-money grab by bodies that believe in little else, and have no demonstrated capacity for leadership or growth.

Cricket will survive it, but any notion of it growing into a global sport recedes. You can't grow a sport without investment, and that just isn't happening, in product development, in market development, or in administrative capacity. Even if we consider the ICC as purely a business, those in charge should still be held accountable for investment decisions; when investment is foregone for asset-stripping then it is time to sell your stock instead.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/712173.html

Jonathan Agnew @Aggerscricket
Also included in proposals: ‘touring team able to cancel a tour if it has a dispute with the broadcaster of the host country.’

Sorry what?

If this is accepted as an entity, I'll have to seriously consider giving up following test cricket. What would be the point? England, Aus and India would be playing exhibition games and pretending it's real.

They should open up a couple of spots in the teams for bidding, you can get a Baggy Green if you bid high enough. They could carry 2 players a team, hide 'em down at third man and bat them at 11, like these stupid guys who get hauled up Everest by experienced climbers.

I'll bet Stakeholders Sutherland is already considering that.

Won't just be the broadcasters the BCCI have final say over they will no doubt be able to remove any umpire or match referee they don't approve of before a tour even begins.

Juts imagine any worse case scenario on a tour and it now could come true, CA and the ecb have basically told the BCCI they would rather cave on any issue than risk even a single dollar, it's a recipe for disaster going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big 3 could control revamped ICC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back