Port Adelaide - Gee Dub
Richmond - Bishop
Swans - grundog49
St Kilda - AFLprospectss
Western Bulldogs - Wizard17
WCE - Monocle

# 1 Essendon - Andrew McGrath

Pick 1 Essendon Andrew McGrath 179cm 75kg Def/Mid Sandringham Dragons

Andrew McGrath could not have achieved anymore than he did this year.
He is super quick, with agility and dare running from half back. He has run a sub 11 second 100 metres which is quick.
When playing in the midfield McGrath has displayed the ability to win clearances and get a lot of the footy.
He averaged 32.3 disposals per game in 10 TAC games at 84% efficiency. He also averaged 6.7 clearances a game.
He is above average overhead for his size.
He also has a real competitive streak. He got his side over the line in a couple of TAC finals this year.
He was also clearly BOG in the TAC Cup Grand Final.
I really liked the way he dismantled a very hot Ben Ainsworth in the National carnival mid year.
He also has very strong leadership qualities. He was captain of Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro this year.
He is well liked and has a confident and engaging personality.

Where will he play?
McGrath will play round one as a small defender and run through the wings and flanks.
He is AFL ready to go. He has the speed to adapt to the pace of the game however like all rookies his poise will be tested by the huge step up in class.
I can see McGrath turning into an attacking half back who runs through the midfield when additional speed and flair is required.

Pick Rationale
The choice came down to McGrath or McCluggage.
I think McGrath is ready to play while I think Hugh will need a bit of time.
I like McCluggage's goal kicking ability and he is a classy ball user but I have some concerns about his ability to win the footy and I didn't think he coped with physical pressure as well as I would have liked in the back end of the year. He will receive this in the AFL! I am sure that he will improve in this area but I am splitting hairs at this point. I just worry if Essendon go down my path that they are picking Luke Ball rather than Chris Judd. McCluggage does have some special qualities.

Future Picks
With 20, 29 and 41 pretty much best players available.
Inside midfielders would be nice.
A lot of Essendon supporters would like another tall forward however I am not sure any in this draft justify where our draft picks are.
I think James Stewart is as good as any tall forward in this draft and only 4 years older.
Essendon are probably a little fortunate to have pick one in this draft and some further nice picks so I think best player available is the way to go.

# 2 GWS - Hugh McCluggage

Hugh McCluggage / NBR / 186cm / 76kg

Why him - Ticks every box for me as a midfielder / half forward and suits the GWS list so well. GWS have a lot of really good ball winners and whilst Hugh wins his own footy I think he might get used a little more on the outside (particularly early in his career) where his polish with the ball will get utilised more. I genuinely haven't seen this kid put in a bad game. I love his sense of the game and how he gets himself to the right spots all the time. His ball use is very good and he has that ability to hold the ball and look for his best option and then create good drive and metres for him and his team mates. I agree with foj1 that physically he is in for a real test and you often hear back now that some of these higher end kids get really targeted physically very early in their career. Even though he is still light he will cope with that and he is a really even tempered kid and he won't be phased by it. There were plenty of times where he was under pretty heavy attention and death with it by hunting for the physical contest and winning his own footy. People will compare him to Pendles and there are a lot of similar attributes. I think he will be really good.

Who else - McGrath was one I would have taken if Hugh was gone. Preference was for Hugh so worked out slightly better for me.

# 3 Brisbane Lions - Ben Ainsworth

Ben Ainsworth

Well despite me rating SPS as the best player in this draft I am going with Ainsworth who I think best suits our needs. We have no real small forwards and Ainsworth will start his career in that role and should be very effective. I can see him developing like GAJ with him being very valuable up forward for the first few years of his career up forward before moving into the midfield and dominating there. The Lions have a mature group of mids and as they move on Ainsworth should be coming into his own in that role. A forward line of Schache, Hipwood and Ainsworth with Bellenden coming in next year starts to look very good with a few years of development.

I will post my full write up for Ainsworth tomorrow.https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-10

# 4 Gold Coast Suns - Sam Petrevski-Seton

Sam Petrevski-Seton

There were a few players that I was tossing up between here, but I decided to go with the player that I believe has the highest upside left. SPS is at his best as a midfielder and that will be where he will play imo. The standout qualities that he has that made me pick him are his evasiveness, his kicking skills and just his clean hands around the contest. He probably started the year as the number one pick but a combination of injuries and not kicking on with some average performances in the U18 Champs and not playing WAFL league footy.

Strengths:
  • Kicking - His disposal on either side of the body is very good and it is the difference between him and some other prospects here. He is also genuinely dual sided.
  • Tackling - He is a strong tackler and I see no reason why this will not continue in the AFL. If he is not first to the ball then he will be first to tackle. His pressure around the contest is great.
  • Contested work - SPS has very clean hands, a great awareness and with his evasiveness he is a great contested player and can be very damaging. He is very good at picking the ball up at speed and a good clearance winner.
  • Speed and agility
  • Clean hands
  • Decision making

Weaknesses:
  • Goal Kicking - He does not hit the scoreboard much and it is an area he needs to improve. He is good though when he has the ball and spots targets leading up.
  • Bail Winner - He is not a huge ball winner averaging only 19.5 disposals this year at WAFL colts level, a competition he should be dominating. It could be an issue with endurance and I think this is easily resolvable and he definitely improved as the year wore on.
SPS for me will mature into an excellent midfielder and imo that is where he will be best played. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Kerr, with his clearance work, midfield ability and I believe he will become a similar level of player. He is what Gold Coast need, more class ball winners and users in the midfield. Also make no mistake he is an inside/outside player who is pretty complete as a midfielder except for a couple of easily fixable weaknesses.

# 5 Carlton - Tim Taranto

Tim Taranto

POS: Midfielder, Ht 186cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 28/1/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

I watched him at the under 18's and thought this kid could really play, my main concern at the time was his midfield ability. It was roughly the same concerns with Ainsworth. He is one of the strongest marks for his size, I personally think he has a great defensive side for a midfielder/forward. I am projecting him to potentially play like Parker. Watched him at the end of the season and he certainly showed the ability to play midfield and the direction modern day football is heading, being multi postional is very handy. I have him close to the best player in the draft and he will start his AFL career as a half forward and move into the midfield in his second or third year. I could see him starting off a little like Dunkley did for the Doggies this year.
Some elements that should translate into AFL football.

• Scoreboard impact - Has the ability to kick goals.
  • Vision - Kicking into the forwards is his strength and with the modern game, this is highly important.
  • Contested ball winning midfielder, another key for the modern game
  • Tackling - I think he is one of the best tacklers other than SPS
  • Marking - Bartelish ability above his head
  • Versatile - Forward and midfield he looks comfortable.
  • Big game player - As the game becomes more important, Taranto lifts.
A modern day midfielder you want to be multi positional, contested ball winning and above average ability by foot. Taranto ticks all these boxes, his only flaw that would take him to another level (McGrath levels) is the speed aspect of his game. If you could improve his explosive ability in the first 20m, I think he would be very hard to stop.

Carlton just need good players everywhere, so I am picking best available with my first two or three picks. Brodie was considered, but I think Taranto just has a few more tricks. (Even if I really like Brodies main trick)

# 6 Gold Coast - Will Brodie

Write up to follow, but with his size and being arguably he best clearance player in the draft he suits Gold Coast well. Also suits SPS and would work well with him.

Gold Coast seemed to go backwards a little in the clearances this year and I felt that primary reason behind this was a lack of a genuine contested ball winner with a big body. Brodie rectifies that and is probably the best inside mid in the draft. I expect him to come in and play some footy next year but he could add some more muscle. He is a bit of a one trick pony being primarily an inside mid but he is developing his marking and he could become dangerous pushing forwards so there is potential there.

His kicking is solid without being great. I actually think given time and space he can spot up targets quite well but there is inconsistency there and he is prone under pressure to just kicking it blindly long. But there is something to work with there. He is developing his marking and can take a good contested mark, with his size and strength I expect that this area will develop. Athletically he is imo above average, he has shown some ability to burst out of packs and he can seem, on occasions, to break the lines. He seems to find a fair bit of the ball around the ground but it is his contested work that stands out. He is very good at keeping his hands free and seems to have good vision in contests, which I am a huge fan of. He should become a dominant inside mid and the obvious comparison imo is Josh Kennedy.

# 7 GWS - Will Setterfield

Will Setterfield / Sandringham Dragons / 189cm / 80kg

Jack Steele out and Will Setterfield in! Exactly the sort of midfielder who can rotate through the forward half that GWS are looking for. Can play a midfield where is he quite imposing at the stoppages and that was on show through the carnival where his CP were almost 50%. He gets to the loose ball really well and he makes elite decisions with his hands in traffic and it shows in his disposal efficiency numbers where he pretty consistently runs at circa 70%. Also happy to work hard defensively for his team and apply tackle pressure. His tackling technique is really good. Like the best midfielders he has that ability to hold the ball and create better options for himself and his team. Seen a lot of him at the various levels and he is a player that generates a lot of drive for his team and he demonstrates that regularly when he takes a mark and looks to get going pretty well straight away which without wanting to pour pressure on him is similar to Bontempelli. The kicker with him is that he can roll forward where his height and marking ability is a real strength. One out and once a bit bigger he could create difficulties for opponents.

His problems are more his body in so much he just seems to pick up little injuries here and there which individually aren't significant but collectively stop him from having the year maybe some were hoping.

Interviews really well. He is a ripper this kid. You have to admire kids like him who in such an important year can play for 3 different clubs all over the country. Says a lot about what you are getting.

# 8 Gold Coast - Jack Bowes

Jack Bowes

This is actually where I expect him to get a bid, but it would not surprise if it was higher as Gold Coast will take him. He is the best QLD academy player to come through the system and the best QLD player to come through since Nick Riewoldt went number 1 imo. I rate him as the third best player in the draft behind McLuggage and McGrath. He is at his best as a midfielder but is very good at pushing forward and hitting the scoreboard well. He started off as a CHF and that can be seen in his strong marking and ability to play up forward.

As for some of the highlights, he is an excellent overhead mark for his size, he judges the ball well and appears to have a good vertical leap. He has a lot of time with the football and his decision making is a highlight. He works well in traffic and is very clean with his ball use. His kicking, whilst not elite is definitely very efficient and effective. He may not be that true big-bodied aggressive inside player but he is still very good in contests and is often the player that receives it from the first handball. He will need to improve his ball winning a little bit and he is not an elite athlete by any means. What you are getting with Jack Bowes is someone who has had an excellent junior career, he hits the scoreboard well and is super smooth. He can play almost immediately and has been dominating in the NEAFL against some good teams. He did not have a brilliant DIV 1 carnival, but was not poor either, and I attribute that to the Allies being thrown together with little practice and struggling.

# 9 Fremantle - Jarrod Berry

Jarrod Berry (191cm, 82kg utility from North Ballarat Rebels)

Coming into the 2016 season, Berry was one name that featured in discussions about the potential #1 pick. He's dropped out of that talk now, but that's not to say he isn't still deserving of a top 10 selection. At least in my mind, I know few people will have Berry rated here.

A large part of his 'fall' down the draft order can be attributed to injuries and an associated lack of continuity in his football. A shoulder reconstruction last year cut into his preseason, and then on either side of the Championships this year he suffered an AC joint injury and a setback with his knee. And in case that wasn't enough, he then suffered a bruised kidney during the TAC Cup finals.

But amongst all the injuries, Berry was playing his usual high level of football. And one of the key factors in that was his ability to play any role or position asked of him. All Australian last year as a half back, he reads the play very well and can intercept and play taller when required. As a midfielder for the Rebels this year, roughly 50% of his possessions were contested and he uses his size well. And then when he went forward at the end of the season, he finished with two 3 goal performances and an average of over a goal a game for the season.

Without a doubt, his greatest strength is who he is as a person. Widely regarded as the #1 character guy in the draft, he'll be a captain in no time and the time of player you build around. From all reports, few people will work harder both on game day and during the week. I know nothing is guaranteed when it comes to draftees, but he should be a 200 game player pretty easily. And on top of that, he can actually play too. Not only is he as tough as you'll find, but he's an elite athlete too. At the Combine, Berry finished 1st in the beep test and time trial, while also finishing top 10 in the repeat sprints and agility test.

As for weaknesses, well you'd have to consider injuries to be the main one. If he's already prone to them, his style of play isn't going to help that. The only other knock on him coming into the season was his kicking. But he's worked on that and has significantly improved in 2016. He still has quite a mechanical looking kicking style, but it gets results.

The key to where he gets drafted, will be in what role teams see him developing into. For now, I see him as a general in the back half. Like Corey Enright was for so long. He's a leader, he's calm and can provide the same level of rebound. But he's also the type that you can throw into the midfield for impact or when you really need a clearance. That's what I see him being at Fremantle. Like how Pavlich was our Mr Fix-It for so long, Berry can do that at the other end of the ground.

# 10 Swans - Griffin Logue

Griffin Logue
Swan Districts/Western Australia
Utility
Height: 193 cm Weight: 92 kg D.O.B: 13/4/98

Bio:
One of the best key defenders in the draft, Logue is just an all round strong prospect. After spending most of last year rowing and playing for Swan Districts colts, Logue really burst onto the scene this year. This year he has made his state, WAFL league debut and now looks a lock for the top ten. A versatile player, Logue has spent most of the year playing as a key defender but has shown he has the athletic capacity to move up the ground and potential become a forward or even a big bodied midfielder with his elite endurance. He's just a class act and rarely makes mistakes with the ball in hand as many other talls in the draft do at times.

Why did the Swans take him?
He was best available and fills a need for young key defenders with the retirement of Ted Richards. Logue is already a massive unit and has shown that he can step straight into senior football unlike other key defenders in the draft. The Swans also lack some versatility in their lineup with very few players able to play up forward and down back or even in the midfield which Logue could plausibly do in the future.

# 11 Gold Coast - Tim English
Tim English

There is no real standout for this pick left and the next 10 players are quite even and not a lot separate them. I was actually hoping to get Berry at this pick but Chris25 beat me to it (good selection btw). You look at the players left and Tim English imo easily has the highest upside left (also has high bust potential imo). I see him first and foremost as a ruck, but he could play a Mark Blicsavs role as a tall winger very well. He is could also be great as a CHB so there are options.

As a ruck, few have come through with better skills, he is one of the better kicks in the draft and I would have no problems with him kicking the ball. His ground level work is exceptional and he wins the ball like a midfielder. Athletically he is above average for a ruckman, he has good speed for a big man, is agile and seems to have a decent leap on him. His actual ruckwork imo has developed this year and he has become better so it gives me hope that in the future he will be a good player. His marking is imo average and it could be an issue of body strength in the contest. He seems to read the play well and whilst not a big disposal winner he has potential here.

The two issues that I primarily have with him are firstly that he does not hit the scoreboard much and needs to develop a forward game. Secondly his body is a huge concern and will take time. He is very thin and lacks a lot of strength. Still he has huge upside and it would not surprise me if he became the number one ruck at the Gold Coast quite quickly. Gold Coast has really failed with rucks developing as expected recently with Gorringe, Smith and Nicholls imo not performing as well as expected. English has the ability and potential to be as good as Dean Cox, and there are not many ruckman that you can say that about. He also has bust potential and could end up like Gorringe. With already taking 3 mids and Scheer most likely on the way too, why not take a shot with English and let him develop.

Also with Gold Coast having 4 picks in the top 10 it was a matter of balancing the picks. I was always going to match with Bowes no matter where he was selected. I wanted SPS with his disposal skills he would add a lot to Gold Coasts midfield, likewise Brodie adds that big body. I like Taranto and have him right up there with those two. So far I am happy with my selections.

Who Else Did I consider?
Other player I considered are the likes of Jack Scrimshaw, Tim English and Oliver Florent. Jack Scrimshaw like Logue is very versatile but struggles to hold down a key post when required unlike Logue. Florent I considered as the Swans midfield looks one paced and could do with some skill and dash but didn't fix the more pressing issue surrounding their KPP depth. English I also considered as he has the highest ceiling in the draft but doesn't fit their needs with the Swans already having Sinclair, Tippett etc.

# 12 North Melbourne - Jack Scrimshaw

Jack Scrimshaw (Sandringham Dragons)

While I'm certain on draft night the name called out will be either Daniel Venables or Ollie Florent, it's hard to ignore the fact Scrimshaw is still on the board. A naturally talented utility who has primarily played in defence before moving through the midfield in stints this season. A prototype midfielder who is that tall mid who can move well and help create for his side.

I wasn't expecting him to be available at this pick, so did not think I'd have the option to draft him. But I think based on talent and potential ceiling, Scrimshaw is the best available at this selection. I think any club would be happy to have him and I really think he has a big scope for improvement. Did have a few games where his kicking was a bit off, but as a whole, he's a reliable kick and certainly will be a best 22 player. I would expect he could get games next year and slot into that back half before eventually progressing into the midfield. Has a nice left boot and has shown he can find the ball with plenty of 20 plus disposal games.

The Sandringham Dragons have certainly not been light-on for talent this year and Scrimshaw is another product who is likely to be called out in the top 10 and certainly the first round. Welcome to the Roos Jack!

Last edited:

# 13 West Coast - Sam Powell-Pepper

Sam Powell - Pepper. 186 cm 83 kg. East Perth.

I have been keeping a close eye on "The Shaker" for some time now and he keeps impressing me.
First and foremost he is a "footballers footballer", he has a hunger for the contest and revels in the one on one challenges of winning the hard ball. He loves the physicality of the game and in fact seeks it out.

He possesses a few old fashion traits that I still value highly in assessing talent and the most important of them is that he hates losing.
His efforts in the East Perth Colts Grand Final against the highly fancied Claremont side were inspirational as he went about "willing his team on" at every step, even in the face of overwhelming odds , simply put he lead by example, gathering 22 possessions , 7 tackles and hitting the score board with 4 goals 1 point. He never gave up.... he never does.

As far as his suitability for West Coast : He brings to the list several traits that we are in need of.
His intensity and ability to hit the contest at speed with velocity is one of them as is his ability to run and carry, The Shaker spreads the field and he is a genuine 70 meter player. Some of his running dashes are reminiscent of Peter Matera in full flight. He is also an inside / outside player and his tackle counts are high.

He has some points of difference that are also appealing.
Agility. :heavycheck:
Speed. :heavycheck:
Endurance. :heavycheck:
Raw Agression. :heavycheck:
Great athlete. Check out his Combine results. :heavycheck:
Even better footballer. :heavycheck::heavycheck:

There are also some other part to his make up that impress me as as West Coast supporter.

He bleeds Blue and Yellow and barracks for the Eagles.
Zero go home factor he would be an Eagle for life.
He does have positional versatility as he can play half forward, through the midfield and half back.

Sure he does have his flaws and his kicking on the run needs some more work. Having said that his kicking in 2016 has been much improved over his 2015 production.
Much of his kicking shortcomings are more to do with composure as he often has a tendency to rush his kicks, thats partly due to his bull at a gate approach. He needs to use his blistering pace in measured amounts and after he has gained separation on the run he needs to take a few steps to steady before he kicks. Thats something that can be both taught and learnt.

There is another aspect of The Shakers development that has scored well with me.
I loved that he has had good production in the Colts and WA teams over two seasons.
I have mentioned this in previous years and I will do so again. The kids who go back to their local WAFL and SANFL sides and play at at higher level and hold their own tend to make it at the AFL level.
Sam after the championships played a few Colts games and then got up graded to the East Perth Reserves for three games after which he was elevated to the League for the last five games of the regular season where he didn't look out of place. In fact he looked very comfortable at that grade.
He then in the finals played in the Colts and the benefit of having played at a higher level was evident as he took his finals games in the Colts to a higher level.
That to me is indicative of a someone with a high ceiling and a passion to learn his craft.
There is a lot of improvement in this kid.

His progression over the last two seasons cant be ignored and in fact demands some respect.

He has his detractors who point out with regular monotony the fact that he is not an elite kick, however the detractors rarely comment on what he does exceedingly well. He has a real point of difference.
When you concentrate on what he does well and don't become so preoccupied with what he needs to work on, then its pretty hard to not be excited by what he could become.

Who does he remind me of: Dustin Martin comes to mind .

Others I considered were : Florant and to a lesser extent Venables .
Also I was tempted to bid on Harrison Perryman who I am a real fan of, but I knew that GWS would match that bid.

In the end the Home Grown Talent was simply to hard to pass up on.

# 14 Adelaide - Daniel Venables

Daniel Venables Western Jets 186cm 81kg

This is a pick where I wanted to recruit a midfielder who can be dangerous forward of centre, an attacking player with pace and one who can also win his own ball if required. It is no secret the Adelaide midfield is the weak point in the side, forward line stacked with talent, and a very good young defensive unit, but the middle has been the question and more power and class is needed there and Venables was the best available fitting that mould.

Venables is a strong bodied midfield/half forward if you like who has a well balanced inside/out game. He can win his own ball with strength in the packs and has a good burst of power, almost explosive but I keep that term for the Judd's and Dangerfield's of this world. Has the strength to get the ball, get the arms free or push off his opponents and dish out quick and clean hands. If not, he can purely put some steps in and break away into space himself. When in space he is a good user of the footy and makes smart decisions on the whole. His kicking is solid, although not spectacular, it is definitely AFL competent. He thinks and moves like an AFL player but his biggest knock would be his consistency. You see some fantastic episodes of play but it is spasmodic. Sometimes he'll do it for a whole game and you truly think a seasoned AFL player has been dropped to the Under 18's and is running around doing as he pleases. He's tougher and stronger than most of his peers his age and has the type of frame that will really muscle up and bulk up to add further strength.

He can impact the scoreboard as well forward of centre, plays an attacking brand and has some agro about him which I love and when he goes for a run it is great to watch, has a style similar to Shuey but also see some of Heath Scotland there from yesteryear. Ready to go in 2017 for a few games but a body which will quickly fill out. Needs to add some endurance base perhaps to improve his consistency and allow him to spend more midfield time but would be very happy to accquire a player as damaging as he is at Pick 14.

I also considered Florent very strongly here, and also Bolton, but in the end I went for the stronger and most powerful player in Venables. If Powell-Pepper was available I may have taken him instead, would have been a lineball call as I rate his burst play very highly. But I feel Venables in the end will end up slightly better at AFL level.

# 15 Port Adelaide - Todd Marshall

Todd Marshall (Murray Bushrangers) 197cm 86kg

Marshall is the highest rated player I have left on my board and I'm a big advocate for taking the best available player with your first pick. I think he is so raw and filled with so much potential. He has attributes that few key forwards have and they are becoming more desirable for modern AFL players. He is clean below his knees and has really good agility for a big man. He can clunk a contested mark when he gets a leap at it which is good because he is very weak in one on one contests due to his thin frame. He looks as if he hasn't been into a gym in his whole life and a couple of AFL pre seasons will do wonders for his development. He is not afraid to chase and tackle which is great to see in a big man as forward pressure seems to be a big thing at the moment.

I've seen a comparison to Darcy Moore thrown around lately and it is one that I tend to agree with. He has similar athleticism and a slight body with good hands. He remains more dangerous and comfortable closer to goals and I think this may be due to his lack of fitness. I think he would complement a big marking and big bodied forward like Charlie Dixon quite well and projects as a much better version of Dougal Howard. I think he has a massive ceiling and is the sort of guy who could be anything once he commits fully to a proper program and learns how to position himself in a contest and gets a bit of a fitness base up.

# 16 Brisbane Lions - Oliver Florent

If I had time I probably would have put in a bid on Perryman who probably comes into consideration about now. I do not really rate Perryman particularly highly but someone probably bids about now.

Florent had some moments at the Champs but for me he was looking like a third rounder rather than a first rounder after playing up forward for Metro and averaging 12 disposal a game across the four games. He had been consistent in the TAC but the concern was that he did not have the ability to step up to the next level. The All Star game though changed the perception of many including myself. With Brodie and Settlefield not playing, Florent got the chance onball and was one of the best on ground. He finished with 28 disposals in what was probably his best game of the year. He then followed that game up with a very good performance at the Combine.

At Combine, Florent was equal first in the clean hands test and the beep test. He was also top 10 in the agility test with an 8.26 and in the top 15% in the running jumps. His speed test was a bit slower than I expected at 3.02 but certainly good enough. He did have a couple of bad and unusual results though. His repeat sprint was particularly baffling at 26.06 which given decent speed and good endurance was hard to explain. The other was his 3km time which unlike his beep test was very average. Overall he presented as a good athletic package.

Florent probably starts on a half forward flank but I am not sure he really stands out in that role. He is quite good getting up the ground and can deliver the ball into the 50 but I do not see him as a good enough goal kicker at AFL level. He takes quite a few marks in space but in the contest his marking is nothing to write home about and his finishing around goal is poor. He lacks confidence I think and talks himself into missing shots on goal.

If Florent is going to succeed I see him doing so through the midfield. He still has a lot to learn in that role and needs to work on accumulating more of the ball. Despite picking up a very nice 28 disposals in the All Star game he did not get over 30 disposals in any of his TAC games and averaged a tick under 20 per game over the year. He regularly has very quiet periods during games and he disappears for significant periods. If I took him I would look to play him in the reserves next year purely as a midfielder. Let him work on his midfield skills and get them to a level where he can be introduced the year after and succeed.

Onball he has good elusiveness in traffic and gets to where the taps are going really nicely. He positions himself well to collect the ruck taps and his hands are pretty clean especially with the ball on the ground where he keeps his head down well. He does not have a lot of hurt factor when he is onball at the moment but he can give his team first use of the ball which is important.

Physically he has okay height although he tends to play short. He is still fairly fine in the upper body but his lower half looks like he will fill out well as he matures. He lacks strength at the moment and will need to spend a lot of time in the gym in his early years. Both in the arms and through the body he needs greater strength and power.

Skills-wise is a bit of hit and miss at the moment but the good is very good. He is capable of delivering a lovely low kick to a target which can create opportunities for his team. On the other hand he does have more than his fair share of clangers which seem to go to the opposition. Teams will be hoping with more work his kicking will be more consistent and they can take the shockers out of his game. It could be something that is noticed early in his career. By hand he is also pretty good and is capable of delivering a nice long handball is needed.

I currently have Florent in my top 10 but he has a high risk of failure and probably more than you would like in the top 10. It is entirely possible that he ends up another Christian Salem but the team that takes him will be hoping that they end up with another Zach Merrett on their hands.

# 17 Port Adelaide - Jy Simpkin

Jy Simpkin (Murray Bushrangers)- 182cm 75kg

My love affair with my Bushies boys continues and I've taken a bit of a slider who, in my opinion, would have been up there alongside Ainsworth as a top 10 pick if he was fit this year. In fact, I have a clear gap between Ainsworth, Cox and Simpkin as the premier small forwards in the draft, however the difference between them is that I think Simpkin has the most potential to go through the midfield which gives him an edge over them both. The more I think about this pick, the more I think I actually rate Simpkin higher than Ainsworth, although he has a real lack of exposed form which may make me look silly.

I think Simpkin is a really balanced player who has a number of attributes and no real weaknesses. He has a really good head on his shoulders and is a hard worker, and has been super diligent with his rehab from the broken leg. He is reportedly a great kid who has battled through a lot of adversity already which will no doubt help him when it gets tough at the next level. I also look at the history of guys with similar injuries (eg Burton, Stringer) and the doubts over them have been found out to be wrong, as opposed to guys who have history of soft tissue injuries which are more likely to re-occur.

Simpkin's main strengths are his goal sense and his ball use. He certainly knows where the goals are but he isn't your typical selfish small forward. He is a good team man and will pass the ball off if he has a teammate in a better position. He is also very smart around the contest and knows when to go in hard and when to hang back. When he chooses to go, he uses his pace to hit the ball at pace and split open contests, and is difficult to catch.

His field kicking is very good and he weights his kicks really well. He makes good decisions with the ball in hand as well, and his ball use in general is probably his biggest asset. He is very good at delivering the ball inside 50 and hitting targets by lowering his eyes as he bursts away.

His tackling and work rate is also top notch. He has a real intensity at the contest and will put in multiple efforts to harass opponents.

I don't really have any major weaknesses in his game but that may be due to a lack of exposure compared to others in the draft pool. I guess not knowing how he will rebound from the injury after losing a whole year would be the main doubt over him but I'm willing to cop that and back him in.

I think he ends up at a Dayne Zorko sort of level and will be a combo midfielder/forward which will give Port that smooth moving, good kicking option they need that will allow Wingard to go through the middle and also let Gray go forward where he is really dangerous.

# 18 Western Bulldogs - Will Hayward

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-18

# 19 GWS (Matched Bid) - Harry Perryman

# 20 GWS - Harry Perryman / NSW / 184cm / 75kg

Pretty happy to get Harry this late as rate him a lot higher. He reads the game really well and presents as a kid with really good footy IQ but he isn't an outside player alone. Shown that he can mix it up on the inside and be relied upon to win his own footy. He is clean in traffic and makes terrific decisions.

The real stand out for me with this kid is because i simply love his composure with the ball. The best players are always those with time to make good decisions and can calm a side under pressure down and turn the momentum. Harry has done that plenty of times but there was a game at the champs (think Metro) where the Allies were getting slaughtered early and he got sent back and immediately calmed them down, intercepted the attack, repelled with really good decisions and ball use and suddenly they were back in the game. Was only a snippet but it showed the type of player he is.

Sure he doesn't have great pace but I can name a lot of players who dont but have great composure, time and elite ball use which more than make up for it. He is also going to have to build his tank which means he will start more as a HB but GWS have done wonders for a number of players in this area and they will back themselves in to do the same with Harry.

# 20 Sydney Swans - Luke Ryan

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-11

# 21 Essendon - Dylan Clarke 187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder Eastern Ranges

# 22 Brisbane Lions - Shai Bolton

Brisbane need to revitalise their midfield and add some pace and flair and there is no-one who does that better in this draft than Bolton. I would like to see him impact games more consistently but if he can improve that area he could become a star. Not sure about the go home factor with him but given I don't know I am willing to take a riskhttps://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-10.

# 23 Brisbane Lions - Brandon Parfitt

Brandan Parfitt

I think Parfitt has to be the most underappreciated player in this draft. He has excelled at every level and he has got a lot of elite traits that will translate to AFL football. There are only a few players who can take over and dominate a game in this draft and Parfitt is one of them. In Div 2 I have watched him both this year and last and he has been fantastic as the midfield leader of the NT side. Kennelly (who is an abysmal coach imo) insisted on playing him mostly deep forward a lot for the Allies and he did not stand out but if you paid attention when he was in the middle you would have noticed that he was actually one of the Allies most effective midfielders. Kennelly played favourites to the detriment of his team and the kids who deserved more of a chance than he provided. The Allies and the team he coached in the All Star game both badly underperformed and guys like Parfitt are going to fall down the pecking order because of his incompetence.

Anyway enough of my rant on Kennelly's shortcomings. Parfitt I think is right with Brodie and SPS as the best inside ball winners in this draft. Parfitt is not tall but he is powerful over the ball and is probably one of the most difficult guys to get on the ground in this draft. He has a low centre of gravity and is exceptionally well balanced. He has good elusiveness but is scragged a fair bit but rarely goes to ground. He has a serious of go to moves and excels at getting through, around or shrugging these tackles. He takes his time getting the ball out from the clearances which often sees him end up in the grasp but he rarely dies with the ball, keeping his arms free excellently and getting the ball away almost without fail. He positions himself well to receive at the ruck and is an elite read of the taps whether from his own or the opposition ruckman.

When playing though the midfield he spreads well and links up well. He can rack up big numbers if he is given the opportunity for example in Round 21 of the SANFL U18s he collected 47 disposals, 10 marks and 10 clearances in a hugely dominant display. Parfitt is a bit of a confidence player and is at his best when he is the main man in his team. He can go into his shell a little when he is not valued highly. I think his coach is going to need to be cognisant of this and manage him accordingly and it could take him a little while to really come into his own at AFL level.

The one area where he really needs to work on in his kicking. At the moment he is pretty untidy and misses targets too regularly. He is capable of delivering some really nice kicks especially into 50 but at the moment he is too casual and perhaps a bit eager to get it onto the boot rather than taking the half second more to balance up and fix his target in his mind. When he is in space he can be very damaging but he does waste a lot of possessions at the moment or not make them count as much as he could. I am not exactly sure what makes me have this opinion but I get the impression that Parfitt's kicking might be something which can be turned around fairly easily. Up forward I am less confident. He was put in the forward pocket in a lot of rep games this year and I am not convinced that he will be best served to play there at the next level. He does some good things and gets some chances but I do not think he has great goal sense and his finishing is quite poor.

Where Parfitt does add value no matter where he is playing on the ground is with his defensive work. He reminds me a lot of Cyril with his tackling and chase effort. When you look at Parfitt you do not expect a speedster but that is deceiving. He has really nice pace, plays the angles really well and chases with 100% effort. Take a look at the run downs of Rotham and Piper at the Champs. Both are speedsters and Parfitt mowed them down in the open field. The Piper one was particularly of note for me given it was over about 40m and is not the kind of chase you often see from the star players at junior level. Parfitt is a very willing tackler and if he gets his chance in the midfield at AFL level his tackle numbers will be very good.

If the pundits are true and Parfitt goes outside the top 30 I think someone is going to get a serious bargain. As you can see I rate him highly and think he could end up one of the steals of the draft.
  • Tony Olango
  • Luke Brunker
  • Jordan Gallucci
  • Brad Scheer
Also Declan Watson, Jacob Allison and Elliott Himmelberg are starting to come into the zone where they could legitimately be taken. I like the two KPs but Allison's upside is also very enticing notwithstanding he had a poor year.

# 24 Gold Coast Suns - Brad Scheer (Matched Bid)

Brad Scheer

In the real draft Gold Coast are almost certainties to pick up Brad Scheer imo and he will be scheerily on their list next year. They will go into deficit next year if he is bid on the second round. If he receives a first round pick then there is a chance Gold Coast will let him go.

Brad Scheer is one of the better inside players in the draft, a strong bodied contested beast who has really had a strong year. I have also been impressed with his ability to push forward and his ability to take a contested mark and hit the scoreboard. This is what really pushed him up the draft for me. I see him playing senior footy next year and he will really help the Suns with their clearances. He is at his best as a rover where he reads the ruck taps well, is strong over the ball makes good decisions and seems to have a good first couple of steps. The difference when he was in the middle was quite scheer and he had a strong impact on his teams ability to move the ball forward. He is a strong mark and a solid kick.

As far as his strengths go, they have been well documented, he is very good in tight, has clean hands and is strong over the ball. In fact his core strength is his one of his biggest assets as he stands in tackles and gets his arms free and can occasionally break free of tackles with just sheer (pun intended) power and strength. He is prone to just banging it forward but he has been better at distributing it more and he has scheered that part of his game right down. He lacks break away speed, but that hasn't stopped a lot of players in the AFL with similar athletic attributes. His marking overhead is very good and he is like Dustin Martin when he goes forward. I am unsure on his endurance and i believe that may be a reason why he does not win a ton of ball on the outside but this would be something that can be improved. His disposal is reasonably good and he hits most easy targets, I doubt he will ever be an elite kick but it is not an area of issue.

He is able to play almost immediately and I would expect him to have an impact next year. His U16 form was excellent and his U18 form has also been good. He has also shown that he is good enough to play against men and he is performing very well in the NEAFL. He actually fits the needs of the Gold Coast excellently and I imagine that in the real thing they would be ecstatic to get him for a discounted second round pick.

I do believe that is all Gold Coast's picks done now. All in all that is a good draft although upon finding out that Garlett has left perhaps I may have taken another small/medium sized ball runner who can break the lines at 10 instead of English but i cannot really complain.

# 25 St Kilda - Alex Witherden

NAME: Alex Witherden
HEIGHT: 186cm
WEIGHT: 80kg
CLUB: Geelong Falcons/ Geelong College/ St Josephs

BIO:
After a strong bottom age year with the Falcons, Alex was added to the NAB Academy squad and was considered to be a top 5 pick in this year’s draft. After 2 strong games for the Falcons to start 2016 having stints through the midfield and up forward, the rebounding defender went back to his school team where he broke his leg in a nasty incident, keeping him out for the rest of 2016 (reminds me a lot of the Ryan Burton situation). Witherden is an elite, penetrating kick of footy while is also a tough competitor. I think Alex will turn into an outside midfielder once he develops a stronger tank but will start his career playing through the flanks.

RATIONALE:
Saints need outside class and speed, although he’s not the quickest kid floating around he would certainly add the class on the outside. As mentioned before, will start through the flanks before moving into a midfield type role in 2-3 years’ time when the saints list is ready for a flag tilt.

OTHERS CONSIDERED?:
Brad Scheer was a best available bid. Cedric Cox was also considered but went with Witherden instead

# 26 Geelong - Cedric Cox

Cedric Cox
North Ballarat Rebels/Western Australia
DOB: 19/8/97 Height: 184cm Weight: 70kg
Position: General Defender

Stats:
AuSXEtb.png

Profile: Silky one-touch half-back who needs minimum possessions to be able to impact the game. Has speed to burn and his low-centre of gravity causes problems for the opposition trying to tackle him. Skills are great and has also shown he can play as a wingman and as a half-forward. Is originally from Halls Creek in WA he is also the brother of ‘The Recruit’ finalist Daniel Cox and cousin of potential top 5 pick Sam Petrevski-Seton.

Rationale: Fits both positional need as a running half-back with drive and pace and is probably the best player on the board. Geelong need some pace in general all over the ground and find it here. Potential half-back partner with Jackson Thurlow in the future.

Happy to get him here as I took him at #72 with Hawthorn in the trial earlier in the year!

# 27 Carlton - Jordan Gallucci

Jordan Gallucci

Midfielder Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 4/5/1998

At this point in the draft, I could throw a number of names up for consideration and everyone would have different thoughts on their ratings. I was insanely close to picking someone else here but I think Carlton need players all over the ground, so bring in quality.
At the moment, I think Gallucci is a player being picked a little on potential. There is insane amounts of upside with this selection. He is close to the most athletic player in the draft with a combination of speed and spring. Has amazing agility and I really like his side step and movements in tight spots. Showed some leadership skills and from all reports is a professional, so bring in quality people certainly increases the chances of a player making it at AFL level. Has shown at times that he can gather plenty of possessions and like Taranto, shows some ability in the forward half as well. Taking a little lead from the Bulldogs and Giants, I want quick players that are multipositional.
I think with my first two selections, I've managed to add some real class and players that can rotate through the midfield and also drift forward. I think the most opitimum set up is players spending close to 60% of their time in the midfield.

Negatives on Gallucci
I really struggle with his kicking at times, especially on the run. It is all over the shop and there is a kicking flaw which I hope a more experienced coach would be able to refine and fix. The mechanics of his kicking action also require a little work, something is wrong, just not sure what it is to be honest.
I would like to see him lift his output, that could be an endurance issue or just needs to learn to spread from a contest more often. He could be a player that if he gets the ball 20 times, you would worry about his possessions, because he does have the ability on his day to torch a team.

There are still plenty of viable options here and I would not mind having another second round pick.

Last edited:
# 28 Western Bulldogs - Joshua Battle

# 29 Richmond - Jordan Ridley

Jordan Ridley
DOB: 20/10/1998
Height: 191.9cm | Weight: 79.7kg
Oakleigh Chargers / Vic Metro
Position: Tall utility

Why: I'm a big fan of Oakleigh Chargers' Jordan Ridley and have no hesitation taking him at #29 for the Tigers.

Jordan Ridley is a unique utility prospect in this year’s draft. He is one of the few players who has the capability to play anywhere, without actually locking down a position.

In 2016, he played across half-back, up forward and even running through the midfield as a link man. While Ridley is yet to establish his best position, his solid 192cm frame is likely to attract plenty of suitors, probably in the second round.

Ridley is one of the better kicks in the draft, disposing of the football with composure and generally making the right decisions. His high football IQ enables him to pick out a target and more often that not hit it with a long range kick. His kicking efficiency in the U18 Champs was 85.7%, whilst it was 67.8% in the TAC Cup.

His versatility and ability to position himself well either behind or forward of the ball, as well as his ability to spread wide and win the football uncontested on the wing is another attractive aspect of his game.

While he does have the question mark hanging over him of what position he is exactly expected to play, Ridley does have the option to be moulded in the way that his future AFL club sees fit. A shoulder injury in the TAC Cup Finals also saw him miss the last few games of the season.

I see him best fitting in as a rebounding defender as he's very composed with ball in hand under pressure
and uses his good kick to effectiveness when rebounding the ball.

# 30 Collingwood - Willem Drew

Willem Drew

*Can't wipe the dopey smile off my face getting my guy here. :)

Drew could be the best midfielders in this draft class with his competitiveness and aggression on another level - think Jack Viney, but there is 188cm of him.

His impact this year in the TAC Cup through the midfield also in my view was without equal, surpassing that of teammate Hugh McCluggage and everyone else.

There was no other consideration at this choice. Drew was my clear best available and someone I rate top 10 power rankings.

From a Collingwood perspective while the club have more inside midfielders than they need, with Swan, Ball, D.Thomas and Beams all gone in as many years and with Pendlebury drawing towards 30, the next generation star midfielders need to come in.

In combination with Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and De Goey, Drew can add to that midfield group and make it powerful again and turn the clubs clearance and centre clearance differential around and turn it from weakness into strength.

*From my October power rankings not to waste any time:
Willem Drew (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 188cm, 78kg
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Plays like: Jack Ziebell
Projected draft range: second to third round
Rated last month: 10
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Arguably matched if not exceed the impact of teammate McCluggage through the TAC Cup finals. Has had an outstanding season through the midfield with his contested-ball winning, aggression at the ball and tackling are as good as any in this draft.
Strengths:
- Stoppage specialist
- Wins first possession at stoppages
- Contested-ball winning
- Aggressive tackler
- Clean below knees
- Courage to win 50/50 ball without fear of getting hurt
- Strength
- Capable mark overhead
- Scoreboard impact
- Acceleration
- Versatility to play forward or back as required
- Reads flight well and takes intercept marks
- Late season has started to run to better spots on the outside to become a more frequent and useful link player
- Strength of TAC Cup performances
Weaknesses:
- Limited opportunities through midfield during the under-18 championships and end-of-season Under-18 All Stars match leaves him slightly unproven against best competition in the country
- Limited outside hurt factor as an infrequent linebreaker with an only average kick
- Endurance
- From stoppages he rushes kicks, too often bombing long to a general area near one of his teammates rather than taking time to find an open target by foot

# 31 GWS (Matched Bid) - Kobe Mutch

Kobe Mutch - NSW / 184cm / 79kg

Nice midfielder type who has some really strong threads to his game. In many ways a classic Giant type player whose stock and trade is a ferocious attack on the footy and an ability to generate good CP numbers. He mixes that with being able to be productive on the outside where he has a good sense of where to position himself to get involved. He can be relied on to use the ball productively. His kicking isn't elite but it is effective.

# 32 Essendon - Jack Graham

Jack Graham 181cm 83kg Midfielder North Adelaide/ SA

Graham had an outstanding National Championships which culminated in him winning the Larke Medal.
Graham's strengths are his ball winning ability both on the inside and the outside.
He averaged 25 disposals in the Nationals and at Under 18 level in the SANFL. In both competitions he averaged 11 contested and 14 uncontested disposals.
He also averaged over 5 clearances a game and 4 tackles a game.
When he stepped up to SANFL reserves he averaged over 16 disposals with 50% contested disposals. He did not look overawed at the level and if not for injury he probably would have got a taste of senior footy.
Graham is a strong body with a hard attack at the footy and above average footy IQ.
His disposal efficiency hovers at just under 70%.
The areas he is going to have to work on are his endurance running and his kicking. He is going to have to trim down a little to improve his ability to spread from contests and run midfield minutes. His kicking can also tidy up a little more.
I think Graham can prosper in a professional environment and you cannot teach Graham's ability to win the footy and his desire to impact contests.

Rationale
I hoped for another prolific ball winning midfielder who had an ability to win significant footy on the inside as well as the outside. I slightly preferred Kobe Mutch over Jack Graham but alas Mutch's bid was matched. The other players that were in contention were Callum Brown who I rate highly, Ben Long who I had hoped would last to my next pick,Josh Rotham and Ed Phillips. I think Rotham has the highest ceiling but we recruited Dea for Hibberd and I feel this draft should try and expand our midfield depth. The dark horse midfielder for this pick who barely gets a mention on these boards was Ed Phillips. I like the way he goes about his footy but he will most likely last to rookie selection. The last player I considered I hope to take with my last pick.

# 33 Port Adelaide - Jonty Scharenberg

Jonty Scharenberg (Glenelg) - 183cm 80 kg
Scharenberg is one of the premier extractors available this year. He has a real ability to get first hands on the footy and fire it off to a teammate. His hands are probably his biggest asset on the field and in my opinion, they make up for his relative inability to kick. He is really accurate with his handballs, even under pressure. His first reaction is to get his hands up so that he can always get it away, even while being tackled or under physical pressure. This ability to set up play with his hands is very important and is elite for guys in this draft pool. He has great vision and knows where his recievers are and positions his body to hit them. He never panics inside and when he gives it, it goes to a teammate rather than being flipped out in hope.

On the flipside, his kicking is quite average. He is not a poor kick technically, as when he goes back off the mark he can put them wherever he wants. However when he is on the run his kicks spray everywhere, or hang in the air causing contests when a good kick would have hit a teammate on the chest. I believe most of this can be attributed to a lack of speed, which causes him to either try to go flat out when he gets it and then kick off balance, or kick while being tackled/harassed and this pressure causes his kicks to be poor.

He can also take a pretty decent mark for someone his size so it is plausible that he could sneak down forward and be dangerous as a goal kicking mid.

I think he is the best midfielder left at this point. I would have strongly considered Willem Drew if still available but 99% would have gone Scharenberg over him. I think his performances in the SANFL were impressive and I always like seeing guys who go into that comp and show they can play well against men. He could sneak a couple of games later next year where he would line up in the middle and give Port some much needed clearance support.

# 34 Port Adelaide - Matt Guelfi

Matt Guelfi (Claremont) - 183cm 77kg

A bit of a bolter and not a name I've seen much around here but I really rate the kid. He is a 19 year old who had a great finish to last year but didn't get picked up. Came back this year and had a cracking season where he averaged 25 touches a game, and then played 5 league games for Claremont.

His biggest asset is his kicking. He has great penetration and a booming kick. If you were a defender and he got his hands on it in the middle of the ground you would be nervous because the ball is likely to come in quickly, flat and long. He can kick 55m with ease and penetration. It is pretty rare to find an inside mid with kicking skills like him which is why I'm fairly high on him. If not for the WAFL experience I may not be so impressed but he kicked at 74% in senior football too to show he doesn't just beat up on kids he is bigger than.

He is adept at winning centre clearances, as all inside mids should be. He is clean and composed with the ball and doesn't panic when the contact comes. He reads the ball well in the air and is good at hitting the ball off the taps, and with his kicking skill he only needs half a second to get away and the ball will be 50m away on the chest of a teammate.

I think he is exactly what Port need- a ball winning mid with good kicking skills. He will complement the likes of Wines well as another ball winner and along with Scharenberg he could be another cog in a midfield that will need to rebuild soon, with the likes of Gray and Boak getting on in years. It is vital that Port picks some handy mids now because in 3-4 years our forward line will be peaking but other than Wines we have no real gun mids for that time. Hopefully Guelfi and Scharenberg can be part of that next gun midfield group.

# 35 North Melbourne - Josh Daicos (Bid Not Accepted by Collingwood)

Josh Daicos is an eye-catching player with a surname that anyone within the AFL fraternity would recognise. He will be playing at the Pies next year simply because there’s no conceivable way the recruiters will let a Daicos slip to another club unless the bid is prior to their second round selection.

In this scenario he has been selected by North Melbourne after the Collingwood recruiter surprisingly chose not to match the bid, so here’s why I bid for Daicos.

A naturally talented small forward, Daicos has a high football IQ, plenty of class and X-factor and a keen goal sense. It is no surprise that the son of the Macedonian Marvel could become anything in the future, but he still has a number of areas he needs to build upon to become an effective AFL player.

His consistency is an obvious one, with Daicos floating in and out of games at times, although his best can be very impressive. He turned the semi-final against North Ballarat Rebels on its head for the Chargers, booting a couple of late goals to ensure Oakleigh got home.

He wins just 28 per cent of his possessions from a contest and averaged just 1.9 tackles in the TAC Cup. He will need to improve on both areas at AFL level to become a two-way running forward.

But turning away from his improvements, what can he do? Well he is the type of player who could dance in a telephone box. He has high X-factor and while he might be quiet for three quarters, could be the difference in a close match.

With ball in hand, Daicos has no problem evading opponents, but more so through football smarts than particular speed. Not lightning by any stretch of the imagination, he is able to calculate his way through situations and is clean with his touches.

I expect a bid on Daicos to come somewhere in the mid 30s to early 40s of which Collingwood will match. A bonus for the Pies is he is that small forward who fills a need to go with all the inside midfielders the Pies already have on their list that are floating around the second and third rounds.

In this phantom draft, Daicos becomes a North Melbourne player and if this was to be the case in the actual draft, Daicos could certainly add an element to the Kangaroos’ forward line with a touch of class. He will likely spend the first season or two working on his game and attracting plenty of fans to the VFL to watch him do his thing. Not as advanced as others in his readiness for AFL, he has more natural talent than most and will be one to watch.

# 36 North Melbourne - Zac Fischer

Zac Fisher (Perth/Western Australia) 175cm 70kg

Fisher is a smaller type but has a number of good noticeable traits. Despite being 175cm/70kg, Fisher wins more than 40 per cent of his possessions on the inside and uses quick hands to dispose of the ball from stoppages.

He has good pace and is not afraid to take the game on which is something I feel North need a bit more of, especially with Boomer retiring. While he has primarily played off half-back, Fisher has been able to play through the middle and up forward, kicking six goals in 10 games and averaging 18.7 disposals in the WAFL.

Most importantly, Fisher has that experience against senior bodies so if required he could fill a role from round one, but it is likely he will work on his kicking a little more. Up forward he could be more damaging to start his career, and he will likely move into the midfield down the track at AFL level.

Anyone who watched Western Australia’s game against the Allies in the National Under 18s Championships would have been impressed with Fisher, and he continued on the good form to win WA’s Most Valuable Player for the tournament.

He is a good value pick here as many of the West Australians are not always given as much coverage as other players, but I feel Fisher could develop into a fine utility.

# 37 West Coast - Brennan Cox

# 38 Fremantle - Josh Rotham

Josh Rotham (192cm, 79kg defender from West Perth)

Alright, I did ponder this selection a bit because of my previous pick of Jarrod Berry. But really, Rotham is too good to pass on. I still rate him top 10, and I'm not just saying that because I'm taking him here. It's in my phantom thread if you don't believe me. The only other player I had rated anywhere near is Harrison Macreadie, but that hardly fills a need either for Fremantle.

The good thing is that him and Berry are very different players. Berry is your strong bodied, hard at it medium defender/midfielder. He'll add legitimate toughness and presence. Rotham is more of your medium/tall third defender with elite athleticism and skills. Ideally, Rotham will add enough bulk that he can take over the Michael Johnson as the third tall/loose man. Something like Alex Pearce/Joel Hamling as the top two defenders, with Rotham and Berry rotating as the #3 and #4, depending on match ups and what's required.

Anyway, about Rotham...he has elite athleticism for someone his size. Not too many 192cm players boast a 2.9 second 20m sprint. He closes quickly on the lead, but also uses it on the rebound. I also personally rate him as one of the better kicks in the draft, definitely above average. His general game sense and decision making is sound too. That sort of ball use and speed is severely lacking in the Fremantle back half. Also very strong overhead, arguably took mark of the year this season. Ability overhead and jumping holds him in very good stead as a defender.

Negatives, his 2016 season wasn't as good as many were expecting. There was talk of him playing more through the midfield, but unfortunately at the Championships he played primarily a defensive role. Which hardly made for exciting viewing. Otherwise, he just needs to add bulk to his skinny frame. I wouldn't be expecting to see much of him in 2017.

Overall though, I think he's a top prospect and one of the better defensive talls. Happy to pick him up this late, he would really make the Fremantle side stronger in more ways than one.

# 39 GWS (Matched Bid) - Harrison Macreadie

# 40 St Kilda - Callum Brown

# 41 Geelong - Ryan Garthwaite

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-22#post-47785794

# 42 Fremantle - Josh Williams

Josh Williams (189cm, 73kg midfielder from Surfers Paradise)

At this point in the draft, I'm comfortable taking a chance - especially given my first two picks. And if you're going to take a project player, might as well be someone with a whole heap of x factor. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Williams did go somewhere in the second round come the real thing.

First things first, he's a stick. He has put on about 5kg this year, but he still has a long way to go. But hey, Oleg Markov doesn't exactly have an AFL build and he did alright this year. So never say never. The only thing it means is that Williams is solely an outside player at the moment.

But the reason for taking him is here is simple - it's his running game. His speed is elite and his acceleration in game is up there with the best. Not only that, he looks to run at every opportunity. It's always good when a young player actually makes the most of his strengths. I know what Fremantle fans are thinking, I liked Clayton Hinkley for his outside run too. And he was also skinny. The difference with Williams though, is that he can actually kick too. He's had some very impressive long runs this year, where he's then finished accurately on goal. He could still slow down and compose himself better at times, but he's shown the ability to finish at top speed.

He also has good vision. He doesn't just get it, put the head down and run. He can work his way through traffic, and he's a hard player to tackle.

At the moment though, he's basically a sprinter. He can have a huge impact in a short burst, but doesn't back it up. So I'm seeing him as a 2 year project. Get him into the gym, so he can build on both muscle and endurance and then put him on a wing and let him run. There were a few utility types that I thought were good value here, but most I see developing across the half back line - which is what gave Williams the nod here.

# 43 Essendon - Ben Long

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-13

# 44 Geelong - Josh Begley

Josh Begley
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
DOB: 3/7/98, Height: 186cm, Weight: 93kg
Position: Midfielder/Forward

2016 Stats:
ovKbMv3.png

Profile: Begley went from general obscurity at the start of 2016, to a genuine prospect in 2016. Was playing seniors for Upper Ferntree Gully in the EFL Seniors, after two games he was in the Ranges side, kicking six on debut against Tasmania. He is a strong body (listed at 93kg), with more than half of his possessions being contested. He also pushed into the midfield for Ranges, showing a versatility that is needed for a player of his type. His kicking lacks at times (55%) but capped off his year with a national combine invite.

Rationale: Provides competition and/or an upgrade on other mid/fwd's on the Cat's list. Provides another strong body and target for his size at 185cm, and gives them x-factor in the Forward-50, something they've lacked after the drop of form in Steven Motlop and injuries to others.

# 45 Adelaide - Connor Noonan

Conor Noonan West Adelaide 180cm 72kg

Was wondering if this lad would get snapped up by anyone else, but I had to strike here as I rate him fairly highly.

Having seen the lad play before his brilliant state combine testing I knew he can play the game but was pleasantly surprised at his results....I knew his agility would be great but he put up some big numbers across the board:

Agility 8.28 sec
20m sprint 3.05 sec
Repeat sprint 25.27 sec
Beep test 14.4
Standing Vertical jump 74cm
Running right 82cm
Running left 82cm

A good blend of speed, agility and endurance as well as a good leap. Athletically, he will have no trouble meeting the higher demands of AFL football.

Now can the kid play? I don't just draft athletes and hope they are footballers as I always draft the footballer first and no doubt this kid can play the game, despite having an injury interrupted season.

Noonan is fairly slight of frame but has no fear when it comes to putting his body on the line. In the SANFL reserves I can remember seeing him go in hard time and time again, whilst not winning a huge amount of the pill (12-18 touches on average) he just has no fear. He used his smarts and agility to his advantage in traffic, often side stepping opponents with ease. It's probably his best trait, he just dances around trouble, very quick change of direction and remains balanced. Not many kids can do that, bit Robbie Gray like in the way he does it. He's got very good hands and is one touch, rarely fumbles. Kicking is good but does like to get around on his right (dominant side) but isn't too bad on his left at times if he has to use it. Kicking not nec flat and hard but he can roost it surprisingly far (55m). Generally picks good options and always looking to attack the goals.

His other standout trait is his tackling and 1%'ers, brilliant defenisve pressure, he can read players minds and tackle them before they try to get past him, or get that hand in or that smother. He would make any coach very happy to be coaching him, some players are lazy but this kid works hard, uses his fitness and is courageous. He also often uses his spring to be 3rd man up at contests, way more than the average midfielder.

Whilst his disposal numbers aren't massive, his impact on general play is and with his fitness base and AFL coaching, he will make a very good midfielder/half forward who could play a lockdown role (defensive fwd) or be dangerous himself. One to watch.

# 46 Collingwood - Ben Ronke

Ben Ronke (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 181cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Plays like: Luke Shuey
Projected draft range: late/rookie
Rated last month: unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Excellent second half to the TAC Cup season where strong production and explosive speed and contested-ball winning stood out. Rapid rate of improvement demonstrated. Finished in Calder's best in his last seven games and was listed as Calder's best player in five of his last six games. Late season he played two VFL games and at that level also held his own.
Strengths:
- Contested-ball winning
- Wins high proportion of ball in the contest
- Explosive acceleration
- Breaks away from stoppages
- Tackling - Chase-down tackling
- Energy around the contest
- Gives second and third efforts
- Athleticism
- Rate of improvement and standard of performance through second half of season
- Held his own against VFL standard competition
- Scoreboard impact (19 goals from 15 TAC Cup games and two goals from two VFL games)
- Kicks goals from stoppages and on the move
- Can play forward
Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent footskills
- Does not find much easy outside ball

# 47 Sydney - Elliott Himmelberg

Height: 196 cm Weight: 84 kg D.O.B: 4/6/98

Bio:
One of the few top key position talents in the draft, Elliott has a lot of fans. After moving from NSW-ACT, the brother of Harry Himmelberg at the Giants has gone from an above average local footballer to bonafide AFL prospect. This year Himmelberg has starred at all levels in the early parts of the season and and his peak could've gone in the early second round. This didn't last long as injury struck at the u18 national championships in the first game. Himmelberg as a tall is extremely mobile and has shown to be a strong mark in the air despite him being a raw prospect at this point.
[/QUOTE]

# 48 Melbourne - Patrick Kerr

Patrick Kerr (Vic Metro)
194cm / 93kg - Key Forward

I rate Kerr 20 spots higher so there was no hesitation in taking him here at 48. Kerr adds immediate depth to the Melbourne forward line already including Jesse Hogan, Jack Watts & Sam Weideman.

Kerr wasn't a huge goal kicker this year but his performances in the national championships showed that he is one of the best key forwards available in this year's draft class. This year he combined his footy between the Oakleigh Chargers, St Kevin's College and Vic Metro. His biggest strength as a forward is his marking on the lead and he always provides a big target inside 50. He is well built and won't take long to start contributing at senior level. The biggest adjustments these TAC Cup key forwards have to get used to is being allowed out of the 50 more often. While it will take time to develop the running requirements of an AFL key forward, when Kerr gets to that standard and is allowed to roam the whole ground there might be an upside we haven't been able to see much of at U18 level yet.

One thing I'd like to see more of from Kerr is the intent to aggressively crash packs in marking contests. But he has been a strong leader and a well-liked member of the teams he has been in this year and is the type of person AFL clubs love to have in their teams.

# 49 Carlton - Myles Poholke

Myles Poholke
POS: Midfielder, Ht 183.7cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 10/07/98
From Dandenong Stingrays

Still really unsure why people don't rate this kid as high as myself. I would put it down to his kicks lacking a little penetration and often he selects the shorter option and often goes a little sideways. He is mainly viewed as a half forward that drifts into the midfield, so that is also a reason for him being marked down.
Now for all those negatives, here is what I like about Myles. Like Taranto, he is excellent overhead and has the ability to drift forward and smaller defenders will struggle to match up on him. Has a lovely AFL size about him, so no questions on his body shape. A one touch football and the real highlight of his play and what makes me think he will eventually play as a midfielder is his hands in close. Hardly ever gets his hands wrapped up, releases lovely handballs and just has great vision. He is not slow either, running 2.98 in the 20m, 14.1 beep test and in the top 15% for repeat sprints.

Carlton really need some help in the midfield as we're one of the worst contested ball winning sides. Last year we selected a few tall forwards in McKay and Curnow. We've also added some talls to our defensive unit in Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering, so that area is covered for the short term.
I've really focused on dual position players that I feel can spend time forward but also not look out of place rotating through the midfield. I think Taranto, Gallucci and Poholke will spend 60% of their time forward and rotate between the forward and back halfs.

# 50 Sydney Swans - Taylin Duman

Taylin Duman / Oakleigh / 193cm / 75kg
Knightmare write up;

Why he goes here: Duman is an athletic 193cm, 75kg utility who gives Swans options here. He could develop into an outside runner, tall flanker or key position player. He links up well on the outside and finds plenty of the ball.

My comments: A ripper. Got genuine speed. 2.93s at combine. Goes well.

Taylin Duman
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Tall Midfielder/Half-back
Height: 193 cm Weight: 75 kg D.O.B: 18/4/98

2016 Statistics:
308916_7d450ee96a7bf5ca2d32d7426122a126.png

Bio:
A TAC cup premiership player, Taylin Duman is one of a few Chargers who look likely to be on an AFL list come 25th of November. After starring last year as a bottom ager for the Chargers and an impressive Grand Final performance, Duman has taken his game to another level this year as he played in the Vic Metro championships team and was a standout for Oakleigh in his 16 games. A classy player with ball in hand, Duman has got all the traits to make it at AFL level as an outside midfielder.

Why did the Swans take him?
The Swans midfield in my eyes, despite its strength, lacks that outside runner who can break games open Isaac Smith style. The Swans are really one paced and have lacked for a while now a player who can break the lines like Malceski who broke games open in 2014. The Swans might look to Duman so they can add that extra gear of pace in their midfield and after some years of development, become that top line outside midfielder.

Last edited:

# 51 Western Bulldogs - Jack Maibaum

# 52 Collingwood - Lachlan Tiziani

Lachlan Tiziani (NSW/ACT)
Best position:
General forward
Height, weight: 189cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Daniel Menzel
Rated last month: Unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Has earned his way onto draft board on the back of strong second half to the season, with a TAC Cup-leading 32 goals in his last nine games.
Strengths:
- Scoreboard impact (32 goals in last nine games for the season)
- Finishing around goal
- Balance between marking and ground level work
- Clean at ground level
- Gets to right positions to crumb effectively
- Genuine forward 50m marking target
- Strong mark overhead
- Uses body well in one-on-one marking contests
- Marking threat on the lead
- Contested marking
- Keeps his feet in the contest
- Balanced
- High leap
- Acceleration
- Agility
- Versatility to play down back or midfield if required
Weaknesses:
- Low volume accumulator when used through midfield
- Contested-ball winning
- Forward pressure
- Endurance

# 53 Adelaide - Joseph Atley

# 54 West Coast - Tom Williamson

# 55 West Coast (matched bid)- Jake Waterman

Jake Waterman. 191cm 82kg. Medium Forward / Midfielder. Claremont.

Waterman is the second son of former WC dual premiership player Chris Waterman and as such he is taken under the father / son selection status.

Young Jake has been in the spot light for a few years now as his footy ability has been monitored by the media for some time now as the "Father Son bit" always garners additional media hype and attention.

That said Jake is an extremely handy footballer in his own right and is a natural leader.

His leadership qualities are demonstrated as follows: he Captained the WA under 16's in 2015 and then backed that up by Captaining the WA 18's in 2016. He was the Claremont Colts Captain in 2016.
In the 2016 Colts grand final Waterman was judged best on ground when he stared in the Claremont Colts Premiership side, that day he finished with 20 possessions 8 marks and 4 goals 2 points.

One of the standout features of Waterman's game is his overhead marking he takes the ball very cleanly, has strong hands and is a hard opponent to nullify.
Another is his silky ability below his knees at ground level.

Jake is predominantly an outside player and whilst he does this well he is going to need to develop his inside game significantly if he wants to make his mark at the next level. In round 19 of the WAFL he made his League debut and impressed with 15 disposals and kicking 5 goals 1 point.
After such an eye catching debut against Peel, Waterman was always going to be in for a lot more attention in the following weeks , as he indeed was.
As such until Jake finds more of his own footy he is going to be easy to nullify , I though Jarrod Korewha did a great job on Waterman in the WA V Vic Country game as he played him close and tight.
If Jake can learn to become more inside then he is going to be a lot harder to shut down for opposition sides.

Other than ramping up his inside game a notch or two the other aspect of Waterman's game that he needs to work on is his consistency.

The talent is there in spades he just needs to do it more often, as he can drift in and out of a game and even in and out of a quarter.
Having said that Jake is a burst player and make no mistake when he is hot .......he is red hot.

If he gets the mix right Jake has all the tools to become a skill full player who's combination of speed , ability at ground level coupled with his aerial ability are going to prove a difficult match up for opposition. He has all the attributes to make it but I think he is still a few years away from playing regular AFL , he will need to hone his craft at East Perth for a couple of seasons.

# 56 Adelaide (Matched Bid) - Ben Jarman

# 57 Greater Western Sydney - Sam Walker

# 58 Richmond - Harry Morrison

# 59 Greater Western Sydney - Isaac Cumming

# 60 Greater Western Sydney - Zac Sproule

Isaac Cumming NSW / 184cm / 74kg

Isaac has had a terrific back half of the year and i would think he is going to be taken a little higher than this later this month. He is a very composed player who is best suited to half back where he reads the play really well and can use his elite ball use to set teams up. He also has an ability to intercept mark and more than happy to go back into traffic with ribs exposed. One of the things you also tend to like with this kid is he will use his foot skills to spread teams. One kick he is going sideways to open up space, next kick will be 45m off the flank into the corrider and release a player through the middle. GWS love these sorts of players and be surprised if not taken particularly if the bid comes around here as they have ample points to complete. Would have accepted the Pie 4 Life bid at #36 if he had gone through with it.

Zac Sproule Murray Bushrangers / 196cm / 84kg

Zac is one I am a little less certain about. Typically not a big fan of taking key forwards late in drafts as very poor history of them working out. Hence the bid on Waterman. Trick with Zac is am still not sure what he is whereas with Waterman I know exactly what he is. Have seen him play forward at times and dominate. He has a decent pair of mits and can take a good grab but he uses his athletic ability to run opponents around and take uncontested marks and he is also pretty good at recovering first from contested situations to score. But then as in the GF and I think the All Star game from memory he will go missing for a long period of time. So it makes you wonder if he is a forward. Having said that maybe he is more your Westhoff player and that is why I have picked him. GWS lack that type and whilst have some good key position forwards coming through next year he might play a more roving role which McCarthy was intended for. The kicker with this kid is he actually may end up a key back. The better games I have seen him play have been back.

# 61 GWS (Residual Selection) - PASS

# 62 Greater Western Sydney - PASS

# 63 Greater Western Sydney - PASS

# 64 St Kilda - Corey Lyons

NAME: Corey Lyons
HEIGHT: 182cm
WEIGHT: 78kg
CLUB: Sandringham/ St Peters FC

BIO:
Corey is the brother of former Adelaide Crow and new Gold Coast son Jarryd Lyons, this is certainly noticeable while watching Corey Play. Corey can play a number of roles through the midfield and at half forward where he uses his hard running trait to great effect. Although his kicking isn’t fantastic, his ability to find the football both on the inside and out, along with a great attitude to tackling and good clearance numbers. Corey will be a workhorse at AFL level, adding great depth through mid, HF and possibly the wings. I was honestly surprised Corey was still here at pick 64 after his fantastic finals series where he collected 30, 18, 21 and 24 disposals for the Dragons. This adds to his fantastic season were he averaged 24 disposals (66%), 4 clearances, 5 marks and a nearly 3 tackles in the TAC to go along with 13 goals in 15 games. In his 3 games at Vic Metro where he played more at half forward he averaged 15 disposals (75%), 1 clearance, 4 marks a game while kicking 2 goals.

RATIONALE:
Midfield depth is the key for the Saints wanting to take the next step. I view their talls down both ends and rucks as their strength, just need to develop the players to go through the flanks and mids which I think I have drafted so far with Witherden (HB/WING), Brown (SF/MID) and Lyons (HF/MID) (will show in my wrap up at the end of the draft).

OTHERS CONSIDERED?:
Was really hoping Sam Walker slipped through to my pick, wasn’t the case so went with the best available midfielder

# 65 Collingwood - Brodie Romensky

Brodie Romensky

Romensky is chosen on performance and versatility. Place him through the midfield - inside or outside or off a half-back flank and he'll go to work. What immediately stands out with Romensky is the way he moves through traffic. He glides through and is near impossible to get a hand on. He's also a prolific ball winner both through the midfield and also cleans up well off half-back.

Brodie Romensky
Best position: Inside midfield/general defence
Height, weight: 189cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Western Jets
Plays like: Jack Macrae
Rated last month: Unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Has been on the fringe of many draft boards throughout the season and sneaks into this top 30 as a few others drop down.
Strengths:
- Movement through traffic
- Evasiveness
- Agility
- Wins a high proportion of possessions in the contest
- Gets to every contest
- Tackling
- Size and strength
- Run and carry
- Intercept marking
- Reading of the flight
- Production
- Excellent both through the midfield and off half back
- Consistency of performance (named in bests 12 of 15 games for Western)
Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent footskills
- Scoreboard impact through midfield limited
- At height could be a greater contested marking threat

# 66 GWS (Residual Selection) - PASS

#67 Brisbane Lions (Matched Bid) - Jocob Allison

Jacob Allison

Allison would have to be one of the disappointments of this draft class this year. He was an All-Australian last year as a bottom ager but he failed to deliver this year in fact he looked to go backwards. He still gets drafted but where he was widely tipped to be in the top 10 coming into the year he is probably looking at being taken in the 30s now as a best case scenario. That is not to say there is not talent there but he has highlighted major holes in his game this year.

The two big issues that with his game this year were:

1. He just could not find the ball. He was done no favours by the Allies coaching staff but even still he just could not seem to find the ball. When he was around it he seemed to read the play reasonably well but he seemed a mile away from it too often. I am not sure if he was playing to instructions but whatever he did not find enough of it this year. Last year he was a lot better playing on the wing and at half back. I think that is where he has to play at AFL level and he needs to work harder spreading and getting to space. He played deep forward and some time onball and I just do not think those positions showed his skill set off to best advantage.

2. Allison has the size that teams are all trying to introduce into their onball unit and he was given a chance in that role this year. Whilst he did show some decent ability to read the taps his hands were just not clean enough for him to be considered in that role at AFL level any time soon. He fumbled pretty constantly and unless there was a coachable reason for it (eg keeping his head down for a heartbeat longer) you probably have to write off him as an inside option.

The other area which has gone from a strength to a weakness is probably his kicking. Make no mistake the kid still has a cannon of a leg but he just did not hit targets often enough this year. He is still capable of kicking it 60m from ease and I have seen him deliver little round the corner chips from 50 which have gone over the fence. What he has not shown this year is any touch with his long kicks. To make things worse I think his kicks are very difficult to judge in the air. Players seem to constantly run under Allison's long kicks. Players seem to play for a normal player's kick and move forward only to have the ball keep going and floating over their heads. Early in the year he also bought into his own hype by going long with virtually every kick and usually quite indiscriminately. He did start to look for shorter targets as the season developed. On his shorter targets he occasionally pulled out a bullet that nailed his target but he did develop a tendency to leave it short too much.

So that is a lot of negative, why should a team pick him? In short because he is a 194cm, lightning quick player, with a cannon of a leg who can regularly kick goals from outside 50. Getting forward from defence or on the wing he is a player who can distort zones and create space for his team's forwards. He has conceded that he rested on his laurels a bit over the offseason and leading into the year and personally I still see the upside that was there last year. He finished school last year and the freedom he had for the first time resulted him taking his eye off the ball. Get him into an AFL program and get him focused on what he needs to work on and you could end up with a very good player. He has a very high ceiling.

Allison was the fastest player tested at the Combine running a 2.87 over the 20m. He also showed very good agility for a 194cm player and was in the top 20% for the vertical jump. His repeat sprint was good and endurance testing above average but with attention needed. Combined with his height and leg, his athleticism makes him an enticing prospect which I am sure a lot of coaches would to try and work out how to make best use of those very valuable traits.

One of the things which has counted against him a bit this year I think is that he has not settled into a position and made it his own. He has always been a bit of a utility and whilst that can be good it does lend itself to being played in some less valuable roles. This year he played a lot as a deep forward and inside mid in the rep games and I do not think that really suits him. For me he is an outside player you want coming from behind the ball. In addition to his pace and leg he is also a good mark of the ball on the outside. Allison is also most dangerous from a goal scoring perspective when he is running toward goal rather than leading away from it.

When he gets a run at the ball he is strong in the air and given his height and jumping ability he can outmark most small or medium types he is likely to be matched up on. There is some chance that he develops into a key position or third tall but at the moment I think he is most valuable as an outside runner where he is likely to enjoy significant advantages. It is worth noting that the one time he was switched into defence at the Div 1 Champs was in the last quarter against Vic Country. Going into that quarter the Allies were behind but they managed to shut down VC and come back to win the game. Allison was quietly influential in that result. If you go back and look at that quarter have a look at his positioning when VC were trying to enter the ball into 50. He was regularly in the right spot and either deterred the entry or influenced the contest. His spoiling and marking was good and his tackling influential. I really like the aggression that he brings to his tackling. He attacks the man and can make things happen with his defensive work.

The floor for Allison looks a lot lower than it did at this time last year. Still with his upside I think there will be quite a few teams interested in taking a punt on him if the Lions decide not to match. Given how they traded out of the middle rounds of the draft it is no certainty that the Lions will match a bid on Allison.

# 68 Carlton - Liam Baker

Liam Baker

POS: Small Forward, Ht 172.5cm, Wt 67.4kg, DOB 10/02/98
From West Perth

Carlton need a small forward and at pick 67 in the draft, I am going to select a player I enjoy watching. There are a number of small forwards so Carlton would have their choice of a few options.

Negatives
  • Small
  • Slow for a small forward
Positives
  • Kicks both sides
  • Large tank
  • Good overhead
  • Great vision
When playing in the Colts, he would get close to 30 possessions a game.

He will mainly play as a small forward with short stints as a midfielder, looking for some Caleb Daniel styled production.

# 69 Geelong - Patrick Lipinski

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-2016-phantom-draft.1151499/page-22#post-47785794

#70 Brisbane Lions (Matched Bid) - Declan Watson

# 71 Collingwood - Brett Eddy

Collingwood #70 Brett Eddy
193cm, 93kg, 27 year old key forward.

Bringing back to Collingwood an old favourite, previously playing for Collingwood VFL.

With the departure of Cloke and little faith in Jesse White, Brett Eddy has the capacity to step straight into Collingwood's best 22. He is best mature age key forward in this draft and the most ready to contribute key forward.

74 goals from 20 games this season in the SANFL is a big tally and backing up his 2014 season where he kicked 67 goals from 21 games. He is such a smart key forward and has that Jeremy Cameron-like innate ability to get out the back, regardless of how closely he is being checked for easy goals.

He can transition into the AFL play fine and is an instant best 22 key forward or strong depth depending on the development of Cox.

# 72 Carlton - Jye Bolton

# 73 Adelaide - Mitch Hinge

# 74 Essendon - Esava Ratugolea

Esava Ratugolea 194cm 94kg Forward/Ruck Murray

This is a boom or bust pick.
Ratugolea had one terrific game against the Jets where he kicked 8 goals however for the rest of the year he only showed glimpses of potential.
He has showed he can take a big mark, has a terrific leap and has impressive speed for a big bloke.
In The TAC Cup he averaged 10.5 disposals, 4 marks and he kicked 15 goals. He barely got a touch in the 2 National carnival games he played in.
His testing at combine was a mixed bag.
He ran 20 metres in 2.93. Super impressive.
His agility score of 8.40 was more than acceptable.
His score of 25.34 repeated sprint score was also very good.
His 11.6 shuttle run and 11.58 3km run shows a serious lack of endurance however his body shape has already markedly improved.
He scored in the top 10 in standing and vertical leaps which shows a serious power athlete.
I think if big Esava can improve his endurance and game sense as a forward he could be a valuable player as a forward and second ruck man playing a similar role to Leigh Brown.

Rationale
I like the potential of Ratugolea and with this pick he is worth a chance.
Mckernan has been relegated to the rookie list and I reckon the Bombers will go for a project tall or Xavier Richards. If Stewart or another tall can develop it would be great as it would allow Hooker to play back.
The other player in the frame here was Jeremy Goddard however I think Ratugolea suits our needs a bit more.

# 75 Melbourne - Oscar Junker

Oscar Junker
Western Jets / Vic Metro
193cm / 84kg

Stats
16.6 disposals
3.8 marks
4.1 tackles

I took him at 62 in the first phantom and I'm happy to take him again at 75 in this one. A player I rate in my top 50, Junker is one of the most versatile players in the draft. He can play as a 2nd or 3rd tall forward, 3rd tall back (on both talls and smalls) as well as having the ability to play as both an inside and outside mid. It was an impressive season finishing runner up in the Jets B&F after having no pre-season. Junker is great overhead (18 contested marks this year), has a lovely left foot kick and moves instinctively well in traffic.

The biggest knock on the Jets' captain has been a lack of speed but he put those thoughts to bed after running an impressive 3.03 second 20 metre sprint at the national combine. Long term, I think he will spend most of his time in the midfield (as he puts on about 5 more kg's) and will always have the ability to play effectively at either end as well.

For Melbourne, play him wherever you want him and enjoy what he brings to the team.

Last edited:
# 76 Carlton - Tony Olango

# 77 Fremantle - Jack Henry

Jack Henry (191cm, 84kg utility from Geelong Falcons)

This is pretty much a best available selection here for Fremantle. I think Jack Henry is extremely underrated, and should go inside the top 50 come draft day. I see clubs and recruiters valuing him higher than the amateurs. Ultimately, I see him as having genuine midfield ability which is why I went him over Morrish. The general sort of consensus from what I've been hearing is that Henry's best is right up there in sort of top 25 range. But he's just lacking a bit of consistency. Most 18 year olds are though.

This year, Henry has played as a half forward/outside midfielder. In 13 TAC Cup matches, he kicked 21 goals and averaged 5 marks a game. Also went at over 65% efficiency. It's a role he potentially starts in, being good above his head and elite athletically - coming from a decathlon background.

But, as he develops his body and becomes stronger, I see him moving more permanently into the midfield. He reads the stoppages well, with limited chances this season it's something that has improved. And I see it only developing further as he gets bigger and more confident. Does the hard stuff too, doesn't mind getting his hands dirty and tackling. There are a lot of these 190cm utility types in this draft with 'potential' to play midfield, but Henry is the one I think has the best chance of doing it.

Pure numbers is something that can improve, he hasn't been a huge ball winner on the outside so far - tending to average around the 15 touches a game. And given he's a reasonable user of the ball, it's an area of his game that clubs would like to develop. Otherwise, he just needs a few seasons in the gym.

For someone who is a late comer to football, his improvement this year has been impressive. And the versatility and athleticism he offers will absolutely appeal to clubs. I see him developing along the lines of Jack Crisp, starting as that half forward before moving into the middle.

# 78 Geelong - Darcy Cameron

Darcy Cameron / Claremont / 204cm / 104kg

21yo who was a touch unlucky in his draft year and has just kept plying his trade at Claremont and improving every year. Surely this year he gets a go. Big mobile ruck who gets hands to enough ball at the stoppages and can influence the game around the ground, particularly forward where he can take a good contested mark and be relied upon to convert. In fact he averaged nearly 2 goals a game there this year. Nice fit for Geelong as that replacement for Vardy and Clark and who can back up Smith and rest forward if need be. Size up front would undoubtedly help Hawkins out a bit as well as they could legitimately attack through Cameron. Cats have had a bit of luck with mature age WAFL lads lately.

# 79 Gold Coast - PASS

# 80 Geelong - Judah Dundon

# 80 Judah Dundon - Western Jets / 186cm / 75kg

Was keen to take another tall forward for the Cats here but Dundon is way to good to be left on the board for mine.....albeit quite a few who could legitimately be in the same discussion there.

Cats I think are in pretty good shape across the board but the more options they can develop that carry the ball through the middle and use it into the forward line well seems to be an area of focus. Dundon is that player. You would describe him probably as a bit more outside than in but he is capable of winning his own footy and he is a quite a good contested mark. His ball use is his thing though. Get him the ball and he will take off and use it the teams advantage. He is really creative and love it when you see young kid really try and open up the centre of the ground so he has that attacking mindset as well. Can play all over the ground but I wouldnt mind betting he settles as a HB / Wing type player. Question mark on him i think is probably more can he elevate the contested side of his game. If he does he has a career ahead of him in the AFL.

Others in consideration. Thought long and hard about Louis Cunningham. He doesn't get a lot of kudos but I am a fan. Others am interested in are Jok, Morrish and Banfield.

# 81 Western Bulldogs - Arie Sarkenson

# 82 Brisbane Lions - PASS

83 Greater Western Sydney - PASS

# 84 Brisbane Lions PASS

# 85 Fremantle - Kym LeBois

Kym LeBois (175cm, 68kg forward from North Adelaide)

This draft really is stocked full of small forwards, and I'm a big fan of the depth - I could happily take any of Tyson Stengle, Quinton Narkle, Kayle Kirby, Sam Fisher and Willie Rioli here. Don't discount mature aged Blair Bell for Fremantle in the rookie draft either. But, Kym LeBois is arguably the most exciting player in the whole draft pool. So he gets the nod here.

Come draft day, I'm expecting LeBois to go somewhere around the 50 mark. And that's pretty good for primarily a stay at home small forward. If he had the midfield game at the moment too, then he'd be right in the mix for top 25. But he is one who is better, the closer he is to goal. And that's not a fitness problem, he actually has a very good endurance base and elite speed too - although his testing this year was down on his best. He just doesn't have much of a contested ball game really. Loose balls he pounces on like nobody else, and does so at speed. But fighting for the ball isn't really his go.

In the forward 50 though, he's as exciting as they come. Always at full pace, excellent goal sense and just makes things happen. He's good above his head too, jumps high and marks out in front. I'm hoping small forward is a position that Fremantle put a priority on at the draft, with Ballantyne dropping away and Walters being so good in the midfield. Speed and natural crumbing ability is sorely missing from our forward setup at the moment.

# 86 Western Bulldogs - PASS

# 87 Carlton - Bailey Morrish

# 88 Richmond - Oliver Hanrahan

# 89 Collingwood - PASS

# 90 Melbourne - PASS

# 91 Port Adelaide - PASS

# 92 St Kilda - Tyson Stengle

# 93 North Melbourne - Louis Cunningham

# 94 Hawthorn - Oscar McInerney

# 95 Adelaide - PASS

# 96 Hawthorn - Harrison Burt

# 97 Geelong - Tom Stewart

# 98 North Melbourne - Reece Piper

# 99 Sydney - PASS

# 100 WCE - Jeremy Goddard

Last edited:

He is super quick, with agility and dare running from half back. He has run a sub 11 second 100 metres which is quick.
When playing in the midfield McGrath has displayed the ability to win clearances and get a lot of the footy.
He averaged 32.3 disposals per game in 10 TAC games at 84% efficiency. He also averaged 6.7 clearances a game.
He also has a real competitive streak. He got his side over the line in a couple of TAC finals this year.
I really liked the way he dismantled a very hot Ben Ainsworth in the National carnival mid year.
He also has very strong leadership qualities. He was captain of Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro this year.

Where will he play?
McGrath will play round one as a small defender and run through the wings and flanks.
He is AFL ready to go. He has the speed to adapt to the pace of the game however like all rookies his poise will be tested by the huge step up in class.
I can see McGrath turning into an attacking half back who runs through the midfield when additional speed and flair is required.

Pick Rationale
I like McCluggage's goal kicking ability and he is a classy ball user but I have some concerns about his ability to win the footy and I didn't think he coped with physical pressure as well as I would have liked in the back end of the year. He will receive this in the AFL! I am sure that he will improve in this area but I am splitting hairs at this point. I just worry if Essendon go down my path that they are picking Luke Ball rather than Chris Judd. McCluggage does have some special qualities.

Future Picks
A lot of Essendon supporters would like another tall forward however I am not sure any in this draft justify where our draft picks are.
I think James Stewart is as good as any tall forward in this draft and only 4 years older.
Essendon are probably a little fortunate to have pick one in this draft and some further nice picks so I think best player available is the way to go.

EDIT:
1 Essendon - Andrew McGrath Up 5
2 GWS - Hugh McCluggage Up 2
3 Brisbane Lions - Ben Ainsworth Up 2
4 Gold Coast - Sam Petrevski-Seton Down 2
5 Carlton - Tim Taranto Up 12
6 Gold Coast - Will Brodie Down 5
7 GWS - Will Setterfield Up 4
8 Gold Coast Suns - Jack Bowes Equal
9 Fremantle - Jarrod Berry Up 15
10 Sydney Swans - Griffin Logue Up 21
11 Gold Coast - Tim English Up 1
12 North Melbourne - Jack Scrimshaw Up 4
13 West Coast - Sam Powell-Pepper Up 14
14 Adelaide - Daniel Venables Down 7
15 Port Adelaide - Todd Marshall Down 12
16 Brisbane Lions - Oliver Florent Up 17
17 Port Adelaide - Jy Simpkin Up 5
18 Western Bulldogs - Will Hayward *Bolter was undrafted*
19 GWS (Matched Bid) - Harry Perryman Down 4
20 Sydney Swans - Luke Ryan Down 4
21 Essendon
22 Brisbane Lions
23 Brisbane Lions
24 St Kilda
25 Geelong
26 Carlton
27 Western Bulldogs
28 Richmond
29 Collingwood
30 Essendon
31 Port Adelaide
32 Port Adelaide
33 North Melbourne
34 North Melbourne
35 West Coast
36 Fremantle
37 St Kilda
38 Geelong
39 Fremantle
40 Essendon
41 Geelong
42 Adelaide
43 Collingwood
44 Sydney
45 Melbourne
46 Carlton
47 Sydney Swans
48 GWS (Residual Selection)
49 Western Bulldogs
50 Collingwood
51 Greater Western Sydney
52 Adelaide
53 Gold Coast (Residual Selection)
54 West Coast
55 Greater Western Sydney
56 Richmond
57 Greater Western Sydney
58 Greater Western Sydney
59 Greater Western Sydney
60 Greater Western Sydney
61 St Kilda
62 Collingwood
63 Carlton
64 Geelong
65 Collingwood PASS
66 Carlton
67 GWS (Residual Selection)
68 Adelaide
69 Essendon
70 Melbourne
71 Carlton
72 Fremantle
73 Geelong
74 Gold Coast
75 Geelong
76 Western Bulldogs
77 Brisbane Lions
78 Greater Western Sydney
79 Brisbane Lions
80 Fremantle
81 Western Bulldogs
82 Carlton
83 Richmond
84 Collingwood PASS
85 Melbourne PASS
86 Port Adelaide
87 St Kilda
88 North Melbourne
89 Hawthorn
90 Adelaide
91 Hawthorn
92 Geelong
93 North Melbourne
94 Sydney
95 Western Bulldogs PASS
96 Essendon PASS
97 Lions PASS
98 Fremantle PASS
99 Gold Coast PASS
100 Carlton PASS
101 Richmond PASS
102 Collingwood PASS
103 Melbourne PASS
104 Port Adelaide PASS
105 St Kilda PASS
106 Collingwood PASS
107 West Coast PASS
108 Adelaide PASS
109 Hawthorn PASS
110 GWS PASS
111 Geelong PASS
112 Sydney Swans PASS
113 Western Bulldogs PASS
114 Essendon PASS
115 Brisbane Lions PASS
116 Fremantle PASS
117 Gold Coast PASS
118 Carlton PASS
119 Richmond PASS
120 Collingwood PASS
121 Melbourne PASS
122 Port Adelaide PASS
123 St Kilda PASS
124 North Melbourne PASS
125 West Coast PASS
126 Adelaide PASS
127 Hawthorn PASS
128 Greater Western Sydney PASS
129 Geelong PASS
130 Sydney Swans PASS
131 Western Bulldogs PASS

9 Port Adelaide - Jordan Gallucci
10 St Kilda - Harrison Macreadie
13 Adelaide - Jonty Scharenberg
14 West Coast - Joshua Rotham

19 Essendon - Dylan Clarke
20 Brisbane Lions - Brandon Parfitt
21 Gold Coast - Brad Scheer
23 Carlton - Josh Battle
25 Collingwood - Kobe Mutch
26 Melbourne - Jacob Allison
28 Brisbane Lions - Jeremy Goddard
29 North Melbourne - Will Drew
30 Western Bulldogs - Patrick Kerr
32 West Coast - Joseph Atley
34 Sydney - Shai Bolton
35 Greater Western Sydney - Callum Brown
36 Hawthorn - Jack Graham

37 Essendon - Jack Maibum
38 Geelong - Alex Villis
39 Fremantle - Ben Long
40 Gold Coast - Alex Witherden
41 Carlton - Myles Poholke
42 Richmond - Zac Sproule
43 Collingwood - Zac Fischer
44 Melbourne - Noah Hura
45 Port Adelaide - Quinton Narkle
46 St Kilda - Josh Williams
47 Brisbane Lions - Jamie Hampton
48 Carlton - Taylin Duman
49 Adelaide - Peter Ladhams
50 West Coast - Matt Guelfi
51 Geelong - Reece Piper
52 Sydney - Josh Begeley
53 Greater Western Sydney - Jake Waterman
54 Hawthorn - Patrick Lipinski

55 Essendon - Brennan Cox
56 Brisbane Lions - Ben Jarman
57 Fremantle - Willie Rioli Jnr
58 Gold Coast - Elliott Himmelberg
59 Western Bulldogs - Brodie Romensky
60 Richmond - Luke Bunker
61 Collingwood - Sean Darcy
62 Melbourne - Oscar Junker
63 Port Adelaide - Esava Ratugolea
64 St Kilda - Kym LeBois
65 North Melbourne - Declan Watson
66 Western Bulldogs - Tyson Stengle
67 Adelaide - Jake Pitman
68 West Coast - Luke Strnadica
69 Geelong - Sam Walker
70 Western Bulldogs - Jordan Ridley
71 Greater Western Sydney - Sam Fowler
72 Hawthorn - Cedric Cox

73 Essendon - Kayle Kirby
74 Brisbane Lions - Tom Stewart
75 Fremantle - Max Lynch
76 Gold Coast - Josh Daicos
77 Carlton - Cameron Zurhaar
78 Richmond - Lachie Murphy
79 Collingwood - Tyler Kietel
80 Melbourne - Mitch McCarthy
81 Port Adelaide - Judah Dundon
82 St Kilda - Jackson Lee
83 North Melbourne - Daniel Allsop
84 Western Bulldogs - Ben Ronke
85 Adelaide - Chris Jansen
86 West Coast - Jye Bolton
87 Geelong - PASS
88 Sydney - Nick Larkey
89 Geelong - PASS
90 Hawthorn - Michael Gibbons

Last edited:
# 2 GWS - Hugh McCluggage / NBR / 186cm / 76kg

Why him - Ticks every box for me as a midfielder / half forward and suits the GWS list so well. GWS have a lot of really good ball winners and whilst Hugh wins his own footy I think he might get used a little more on the outside (particularly early in his career) where his polish with the ball will get utilised more. I genuinely haven't seen this kid put in a bad game. I love his sense of the game and how he gets himself to the right spots all the time. His ball use is very good and he has that ability to hold the ball and look for his best option and then create good drive and metres for him and his team mates. I agree with foj1 that physically he is in for a real test and you often hear back now that some of these higher end kids get really targeted physically very early in their career. Even though he is still light he will cope with that and he is a really even tempered kid and he won't be phased by it. There were plenty of times where he was under pretty heavy attention and death with it by hunting for the physical contest and winning his own footy. People will compare him to Pendles and there are a lot of similar attributes. I think he will be really good.

Who else - McGrath was one I would have taken if Hugh was gone. Preference was for Hugh so worked out slightly better for me.

I
Pick Rationale

Cant say I agree with the rationale completely. To me its not about who has the quickest immediate impact. I'm not looking for the NAB Rising Star winner..im wanting the player who will be best for the team for 10 years or more. That said i dont think we can go too wrong eith either. My gut feeling is McCluggage has the highest ceiling and scope for improvement.

I

Cant say I agree with the rationale completely. To me its not about who has the quickest immediate impact. I'm not looking for the NAB Rising Star winner..im wanting the player who will be best for the team for 10 years or more. That said i dont think we can go too wrong eith either. My gut feeling is McCluggage has the highest ceiling and scope for improvement.
Dont disagree with you. But I think McGrath's flaws are less than McCluggages too.
I would be happy with either player. I don't recall stating McGrath would win Rising Star award. I do think like Parish he will play plenty of footy next season. Think there is validity in this as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont disagree with you. But I think McGrath's flaws are less than McCluggages too.
I would be happy with either player. I don't recall stating McGrath would win Rising Star award. I do think like Parish he will play plenty of footy next season. Think there is validity in this as well.

NAB Rising Star was my wording to emphasise the point. To many people imo seem to think immediate impact is the be all and end all of drafting. Rather than the long term big picture. Not suggesting you are thinking like that but your rationale seemed to indicate thats what gave McGrath the edge. Also as i said, both will likely be fantastic long term players so it's a nice flip of the coin to have. Fwiw. I dont think.McCluggage has too many flaws at all.

Pick 3 - Brisbane

Ben Ainsworth

Well despite me rating SPS as the best player in this draft I am going with Ainsworth who I think best suits our needs. We have no real small forwards and Ainsworth will start his career in that role and should be very effective. I can see him developing like GAJ with him being very valuable up forward for the first few years of his career up forward before moving into the midfield and dominating there. The Lions have a mature group of mids and as they move on Ainsworth should be coming into his own in that role. A forward line of Schache, Hipwood and Ainsworth with Bellenden coming in next year starts to look very good with a few years of development.

I will post my full write up for Ainsworth tomorrow.

Pick 3 - Brisbane

Ben Ainsworth

I will post my full write up for Ainsworth tomorrow.

You don't think Brisbane will nominate Bowes?

NAB Rising Star was my wording to emphasise the point. To many people imo seem to think immediate impact is the be all and end all of drafting. Rather than the long term big picture. Not suggesting you are thinking like that but your rationale seemed to indicate thats what gave McGrath the edge. Also as i said, both will likely be fantastic long term players so it's a nice flip of the coin to have. Fwiw. I dont think.McCluggage has too many flaws at all.
All good BBH. Fascinating which way the Bombers go. Cant go wrong really. We just need a bit of luck and nail 20 to 29. Hopefully you like my picks :)

You don't think Brisbane will nominate Bowes?

Serves no purpose. Gold Coast will match anyway, and considering their 4 picks in the top 10, there is no benefit.

Not to mention - here's a player the Lions like, and he wants to join the Lions. But before we pick we'll bid on some other guy to make the first guy (Ainsworth) feel very wanted...

Only reason will be if we genuinely consider Bowes a superior prospect.

Pick 4 - Gold Coast - Sam Petrevski-Seton

There were a few players that I was tossing up between here, but I decided to go with the player that I believe has the highest upside left. SPS is at his best as a midfielder and that will be where he will play imo. The standout qualities that he has that made me pick him are his evasiveness, his kicking skills and just his clean hands around the contest. He probably started the year as the number one pick but a combination of injuries and not kicking on with some average performances in the U18 Champs and not playing WAFL league footy.

Strengths:
  • Kicking - His disposal on either side of the body is very good and it is the difference between him and some other prospects here. He is also genuinely dual sided.
  • Tackling - He is a strong tackler and I see no reason why this will not continue in the AFL. If he is not first to the ball then he will be first to tackle. His pressure around the contest is great.
  • Contested work - SPS has very clean hands, a great awareness and with his evasiveness he is a great contested player and can be very damaging. He is very good at picking the ball up at speed and a good clearance winner.
  • Speed and agility
  • Clean hands
  • Decision making

Weaknesses:
  • Goal Kicking - He does not hit the scoreboard much and it is an area he needs to improve. He is good though when he has the ball and spots targets leading up.
  • Bail Winner - He is not a huge ball winner averaging only 19.5 disposals this year at WAFL colts level, a competition he should be dominating. It could be an issue with endurance and I think this is easily resolvable and he definitely improved as the year wore on.
SPS for me will mature into an excellent midfielder and imo that is where he will be best played. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Kerr, with his clearance work, midfield ability and I believe he will become a similar level of player. He is what Gold Coast need, more class ball winners and users in the midfield. Also make no mistake he is an inside/outside player who is pretty complete as a midfielder except for a couple of easily fixable weaknesses.

LemmingMaster

Last edited:
Earlier than I expected but fair play to you. SPS has some who rate him best in the draft.
I thought Brodie, Taranto or left field Scrimshaw.
Gold Coast really will control the draft. If GC rate SPS this high and they believe Carlton also rate him they will take him here for sure.
I reckon the Lions will bid on Bowes in the real thing.

Where will he play?

Pick Rationale

Future Picks
Can't complain with either mate did you manage to get to many of McGraths TAC games? Also interested to see where you go with 20 and 29 have you got any players in mind that you rate at those picks that are different from the norm being talked about in the 2nd round?

Serves no purpose. Gold Coast will match anyway, and considering their 4 picks in the top 10, there is no benefit.

Not to mention - here's a player the Lions like, and he wants to join the Lions. But before we pick we'll bid on some other guy to make the first guy (Ainsworth) feel very wanted...

Only reason will be if we genuinely consider Bowes a superior prospect.

I 100% agree with this rationale and it is how I think the Lions will go.

Pick 5 - Tim Taranto

POS: Midfielder, Ht 186cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 28/1/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

I watched him at the under 18's and thought this kid could really play, my main concern at the time was his midfield ability. It was roughly the same concerns with Ainsworth. He is one of the strongest marks for his size, I personally think he has a great defensive side for a midfielder/forward. I am projecting him to potentially play like Parker. Watched him at the end of the season and he certainly showed the ability to play midfield and the direction modern day football is heading, being multi postional is very handy. I have him close to the best player in the draft and he will start his AFL career as a half forward and move into the midfield in his second or third year. I could see him starting off a little like Dunkley did for the Doggies this year.
Some elements that should translate into AFL football.

• Scoreboard impact - Has the ability to kick goals.
  • Vision - Kicking into the forwards is his strength and with the modern game, this is highly important.
  • Contested ball winning midfielder, another key for the modern game
  • Tackling - I think he is one of the best tacklers other than SPS
  • Marking - Bartelish ability above his head
  • Versatile - Forward and midfield he looks comfortable.
  • Big game player - As the game becomes more important, Taranto lifts.
A modern day midfielder you want to be multi positional, contested ball winning and above average ability by foot. Taranto ticks all these boxes, his only flaw that would take him to another level (McGrath levels) is the speed aspect of his game. If you could improve his explosive ability in the first 20m, I think he would be very hard to stop.

Carlton just need good players everywhere, so I am picking best available with my first two or three picks. Brodie was considered, but I think Taranto just has a few more tricks. (Even if I really like Brodies main trick)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back