Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to sound like a negative Nellie or killjoy, but making jokes out of a much loved but very troubled 31 year old's death is just a tad too dark/uncomfortable for my taste. The fact he was high as a kite/drugged out of his mind doesn't matter.

He leaves behind a one year old baby and a grieving partner. I can't help but wonder how well Heath Ledger jokes on a thread like this would have gone down the day he tragically passed away.

Btw not singling out any individual poster here, and being part of a group called One Direction writes itself, but I just feel terribly sorry for his family and loved ones, especially his bub who will grow up without knowing their father.

I don't want to sound like a negative Nellie or killjoy, but making jokes out of a much loved but very troubled 31 year old's death is just a tad too dark/uncomfortable for my taste. The fact he was high as a kite/drugged out of his mind doesn't matter.

He leaves behind a one year old baby and a grieving partner. I can't help but wonder how well Heath Ledger jokes on a thread like this would have gone down the day he tragically passed away.

Btw not singling out any individual poster here, and being part of a group called One Direction writes itself, but I just feel terribly sorry for his family and loved ones, especially his bub who will grow up without knowing their father.
Fair call

We are having a similar discussion regarding the GWS antics

Who is fair game? Where is the boundary?

Now I am of an older generation and wouldnt know or care about Liam if he crossed the street in front of me. So my feelings would be askew

I guess the only comparison would be Lennon - I was devastated at the time but recognised the humour in him saying '' these autograph seekers will be the death of me ''

The Challenger disaster again brought out the jokes .

I think humour used as deflection from the horror is a good thing - but I also recognise thats my coping method

Now I am of an older generation and wouldnt know or care about Liam if he crossed the street in front of me. So my feelings would be askew

I guess the only comparison would be Lennon - I was devastated at the time but recognised the humour in him saying '' these autograph seekers will be the death of me ''

I think humour used as deflection from the horror is a good thing - but I also recognise thats my coping method

Good discussion.

I am thinking in terms of social media comments and trolls, esp to poor Liam's family, especially his child.

Think it would be for the best if his or her mother change their name before they are old enough to reach high school age, or the awful teasing/bullying they will cop about their father would be pretty unbearable/soul destroying

Too often we (and I am guilty as anyone here btw) forget about the feelings of the families involved in the feelings of deceased celebs or famous figures (although not going to lie, going to crack open a bottle of the most expensive Champers when Rupert Murdoch shrugs off his mortal coil)

I noticed there was really distasteful and troll jokes on Facebook when Amy Winehouse and Kobe Bryant died tragically, which pissed me off a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Growing up at a time when displays of emotion from blokes wasn't really the done thing humour became a way of coping for some.

View attachment 2145846

Japanese actor Toshiyuki Nishida, 76.

Did lots of shit but I remember him fondly as Pigsy in Monkey Magic. :(

Oh no. Another childhood favourite. Gone

This makes as sad as when Tim Brooke-Taylor from the Goodies died.

Monkey and The Goodies were my ABC childhood staples, along with Voltron and my personal favourite Doctor Who

(It was such a golden era for being an Aussie kids TV fan in the 80s)

Gutted

My 10 year old self would be inconsolable, I still can’t believe Liam died.

I am in pain

Thr first celebrity/high profile death that really crushed me was Reggie Lewis (former Boston Celtics small-foward) and future hope of my Celtics.

I only gotten into the NBA a couple of years before (Larry Bird my first idol) and after Reggie's death, it was such a long and depressing period for the Celtics until 2008. 15 Years may seem like a relative short period of time these days but it felt like eternity to me (the Celtics and NBA are and is my clear number one sporting passion)

images

I feel a lot of empathy for your pain Ligma

Absolutely no shame to admit you are/were a fan of 1D and upset by Liam Payne's passing.

I cried my heart out when I found out Reggie died (I was 13) just as when I sobbed terribly when Leeds United great Gary Speed died when I was 31.

It hurts. And you should not be ashamed of your grief over the passing of one childhood favourites.

Thr first celebrity/high profile death that really crushed me was Reggie Lewis (former Boston Celtics small-foward) and future hope of my Celtics.

I only gotten into the NBA a couple of years before (Larry Bird my first idol) and after Reggie's death, it was such a long and depressing period for the Celtics until 2008. 15 Years may seem like a relative short period of time these days but it felt like eternity to me (the Celtics and NBA are and is my clear number one sporting passion)

images

I feel a lot of empathy for your pain Ligma

Absolutely no shame to admit you are/were a fan of 1D and upset by Liam Payne's passing.

I cried my heart out when I found out Reggie died (I was 13) just as when I sobbed terribly when Leeds United great Gary Speed died when I was 31.

It hurts. And you should not be ashamed of your grief over the passing of one childhood favourites.
Jimmy , Robbie , Troy , sean ,Dean ,colin

Were all tragic for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back