Biggest Album Let down?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's from 1988, but Metallica's And Justice For All.

After arguably the best metal album ever (Master of Puppets) it was a massive step down. I know they lost Cliff and stuff, but bloody hell, Jason Newsted wasn't useless, and I don't get why there was no bass in the whole album. JAson used to be in the band Flotsam and Jetsam, I mean, they are one of the fastest riffers I have heard, and Metallica treat him like ****? :rolleyes:

Definately ain't a let down. Some bass may have added something to the album but the songs would still be supurb (apart from a few bits that seem to drag too much)

As far as mine go...I'm going to say Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden. Since I'm only 17 I obviously didn't listen to it when it came out in 1992...I was still on Ba-Ba-Black-Sheep. When I went through all of the maiden albums I originally had the first 6 or though in a group...I then acquired the rest of them including FOTD and found it to be a very weak album except for the title song which is actually one of their greatest ever songs. Judas My Guide is decent but the rest are pretty much fillers...filling up far too much space :p

Pearl Jam - 10. The first six songs are top songs but after that the songs get gloomier and they don't rock as hard as the others. The songs on the second half of the album are songs that I can listen to occasionally. It's a shame though because Once, Even Flow, Alive, Black and Jeremy are awesome songs that I could listen to many times. Why Go is pretty good.

Latest Hoobastank is a an absolute shocker as well. RIP.

Hell yeah, its absolutely woeful. Just terrible, boring cliched crap. I've listened to it almost once and that will do me I think. That was a big et down and the last Live album was as well. Im a big Live fan and even though they're latest albums aren't Throwing Copper, I still liked Birds of Pray and V, but Songs from Black Mountain was rubbish. They're not even a rock band anymore :( St Anger was a let down as well, apart from St Anger, Frantic and maybe Some Kind of Monster theres not much to write home about. And even those I've mentioned aren't exactly One or Master of Puppets

Pearl Jam - 10. The first six songs are top songs but after that the songs get gloomier and they don't rock as hard as the others. The songs on the second half of the album are songs that I can listen to occasionally. It's a shame though because Once, Even Flow, Alive, Black and Jeremy are awesome songs that I could listen to many times. Why Go is pretty good.

Wash your mouth out with soap :eek: Best album ever :) Granted the first 6 songs are the standouts, but songs like Release, Garden and particularly Porch are still pretty cool

Stadium Arcadium was just pathetic. Out of 28 songs i liked maybe 3. Especially in Michigan i love, and the endings (not the rest of) Wet Sand and Death of a Martian. It was a disgraceful effort and i thought they would surely have atleast 5 songs on there that are quality.

Also, a weird one but Live's best of. I feel that a lot of the songs that made their best of aren't that good, its more a compilation of the singles. My favourite two Live songs are "meltdown" and "the damn at otter creek" and they didn't get a mention, as did a few others i love.

Smashing Pumpkins "Adore". Getting rid of Jimmy in favour of a (drug free) drum machine was never gonna be a good idea, but i didnt think it meant that they had to completely suck. I was wrong.

Beastie Boys' "Hello Nasty". After a run of albums as good as Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication, it broke my heart how much this album sucked.

Foo Fighters' One By One. All My Life was a killer lead off single, but it was an ruse. The rest of the album bar 1 or 2 ok tunes blew chunks.

Latest Incubus. 2 or 3 reasonable tunes cant save this one from smelling like poo. :thumbsdown:

And as much as i bought it completely sight unseen, i have never been as baffled by anything more in my life than the hype surrounding The Vines debut album. From what i read, it came across as an album i probably should own. My god was i wrong!

I'm a shocker for building up hopes and dreams....

My dad and uncle are both self-confessed musical tragics...so they had to bring me up 'right' So every week I got a new album/cd till my 16th birthday. Always in order (so I got albums from 60s first, then 70s, then 80s, till I'd caught up)

Virtually every band I listen to, their 1st album is the best, the 2nd is the most commercial, and from the 3rd it quickly becomes a dust collector. Often the 'best' individual song is on the 3rd album, but for complete album listening, the first is usually far and away the best.

Wash your mouth out with soap :eek: Best album ever :) Granted the first 6 songs are the standouts, but songs like Release, Garden and particularly Porch are still pretty cool
I would need to listen to 10 a few more times to appreciate those much darker songs. At this stage, I just don't like them as much as the first six.

With Teeth by NIN sucked major ones.

I had no real expectations but it was so bad except for the last track. Considering most of his stuff is interesting, it was a very generic album. Hope his new one is good.

It's from 1988, but Metallica's And Justice For All.

After arguably the best metal album ever (Master of Puppets) it was a massive step down. I know they lost Cliff and stuff, but bloody hell, Jason Newsted wasn't useless, and I don't get why there was no bass in the whole album. JAson used to be in the band Flotsam and Jetsam, I mean, they are one of the fastest riffers I have heard, and Metallica treat him like ****? :rolleyes:

Buddy... That's the biggest pile of rubbish I've ever heard, fair enough if you mention Metallica's work after TBA but Justice was one of their better albums if not their best especially if you appreciate the technicality of music.

Great thread.

Three that come quickly to mind are...

Skyhooks - Straight in a Gay Gay World
The Damned - Music for Pleasure
The Pixies - Bossonova

Now we're talking, Leapster. Agree with all of those. Stinkers when compared to their predecessors.

A few others that come to mind:

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars
Midnight Oil - Red Sails In The Sunset
Sunnyboys - Wildcatz
You Am I - Anything after HiFi Way
Weezer - Green Album & Maladroit
Urge Overkill - Exit The Dragon
Living Colour - Collideoscope
Dandy Warhols - The one after 13 Tales
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri La Dee Da
Hellacopters - High Visibility
Tea Party - Transmission
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Anything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Faith No More - Anything after Angel Dust
REM - Anything after Green
Pink Floyd - Anything after The Wall
Rolling Stones - Anything after Tattoo You
Bowie - Anything after Scary Monsters

Foo Fighters' One By One. All My Life was a killer lead off single, but it was an ruse. The rest of the album bar 1 or 2 ok tunes blew chunks.

Agree on that one. After Track 1, it's all filler, no killer.

Great thread.

Now we're talking, Leapster. Agree with all of those. Stinkers when compared to their predecessors.

Sunnyboys - Wildcatz
Tea Party - Transmission

Ah yes! Some rippers there. I thought "Mars Need Guitars" was pretty average as well (how do you follow up "Stoneage Romeos"?), but compared to "Blow your cool" (the "difficult" third album) it was a masterpiece.
What do you mean by REM - Anything after Green???I wasn't aware that REM ever did anything after "Green". I thought they only ever did one album on Warners and then split up. There was another band called REM around at the time recording stuff, but that was an entirely different band surely?;)

Great thread.

Sunnyboys - Wildcatz
Tea Party - Transmission

Agree on that one. After Track 1, it's all filler, no killer.

Spot on....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunnyboys - Wildcatz
Tea Party - Transmission

I love this album. Didn't like it at first but the songs grew on me. Gyroscope is just awesome, best song on the album. I though Seven Circles was dissapointing. Nothing great on that at all.

I love this album. Didn't like it at first but the songs grew on me. Gyroscope is just awesome, best song on the album. I though Seven Circles was dissapointing. Nothing great on that at all.

Yeah, fair enough Soup. My slant on "biggest disappointments" was not "worst albums in my collection", nor necessarily even the worst by that band. Instead I took it to mean that, following it's immediate predecessor(s), the change in direction took the band so far away from what I loved about the previous album(s) that I found the later release so disappointing.

I've used this philosophy in including "Mars Needs Guitars", "Red Sails", "Transmission" etc. Hoodoo Gurus, for example, have far worse albums than "Mars Needs Guitars", but I don't think the drop in quality from their previous release was ever greater than the drop that occurred between "Stoneage Romeos" and that second album. In my humble opinion, the same could be said for the drop from "Edges Of Twilight" and "Splendor Solis" (both of which I am a very big fan) to "Transmission".

That said, your endorsement has prompted me to go back and listen to it again for the first time in about 7 or 8 years.

Frankie goes to Hollywood-Welcome to the Pleasuredome (for those of us old enough to remember).

After the breath of fresh air that came in the forms of "Relax" and "Two Tribes", I have to say that this double opus was a great big, fat, monotonous disappointment (exception being their cover of "Born to run").

I was also really hanging out for Metallica's "Black" album-but that one just signalled the beginning of the end.

Bloc Party - Weekend in the city. Just terrible

Rolling Stones - A Bigger bang. Sad old men who just don't cut it anymore.

Queen - Anything Brian and roger have rolled out since Freddie died and John retired. leave the legend alone boys it ain't worth the money

Oasis - Don't beleive the truth. Sorry love the band but this is a sorry shadow of what they were.

Yeah, fair enough Soup. My slant on "biggest disappointments" was not "worst albums in my collection", nor necessarily even the worst by that band. Instead I took it to mean that, following it's immediate predecessor(s), the change in direction took the band so far away from what I loved about the previous album(s) that I found the later release so disappointing.

I've used this philosophy in including "Mars Needs Guitars", "Red Sails", "Transmission" etc. Hoodoo Gurus, for example, have far worse albums than "Mars Needs Guitars", but I don't think the drop in quality from their previous release was ever greater than the drop that occurred between "Stoneage Romeos" and that second album. In my humble opinion, the same could be said for the drop from "Edges Of Twilight" and "Splendor Solis" (both of which I am a very big fan) to "Transmission".

That said, your endorsement has prompted me to go back and listen to it again for the first time in about 7 or 8 years.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I generally go by the overall quality of the album and how many songs I want to losten to again. Transmission was good in the sense that it was very different, and that is what is/was geat about the Tea Party, they're very different with the sounds and instruments they use. Not mainstream at all, very unique. Their last two albums were dissapointing in a sense because of that, they were much more mainstream rock instead of what made the Tea Party stand out.

Just as an afterthought, I expected Jeff Martins solo album, the one for which he left the band for (my interpretation anyway), was pretty pathetic with one song i liked and the rest being average to shocking (Good time song). That was a big dissapointment for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Album Let down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back