Biggest Finals Chokes Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
The title pretty much speaks for itself. My definition of a finals choke is finishing in the top 3 and going out in straight sets (I will add teams who finished on top only to get bundled out of in a Prelim final as well).
Mine would be Carltons epic choke in 1994. They were vying for premiership favouritism with the Eagles for the entire season, only to get bundled out easily in straight sets. :eek:

The title pretty much speaks for itself. My definition of a finals choke is finishing in the top 3 and going out in straight sets (I will add teams who finished on top only to get bundled out of in a Prelim final as well).
Mine would be Carltons epic choke in 1994. They were vying for premiership favouritism with the Eagles for the entire season, only to get bundled out easily in straight sets. :eek:

Which iirc turned out pretty bad for you guys the following year did it not?
lol, 14 goal GF smashing,

Stkilda 2009.

22 wins. 0 flag. First team in history to win 3 quarters of a GF and still lose. Can't choke any more than that apart from have an unbeaten season then lose as they did.

Geelong '08 g/f

Adelaide '93 p/f

Oh, and I don't care about your criteria.
2 great chokes.

chris-judd.jpg

Carlton's final quarter at the Gabba last year would have to go close

They led by four goals at 3/4 time and then went to water

One of the biggest finals chokes I've seen in a long time.

It was very funny at the time, considering all the noise their fans had been making

be careful not to choke on your popcorn!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stkilda 2009.

22 wins. 0 flag. First team in history to win 3 quarters of a GF and still lose. Can't choke any more than that apart from have an unbeaten season then lose as they did.

Wrong. Geelong in 89 also achieved this feat. If it wasn't for Hawthorn having a stellar first quarter and getting 7 goals up they would have lost. They still deny this quarter is the reason for the win though, just like they deny rushed behinds or that they Bradburied 08.

Geelong 95 GF. Went in as quiet favourites, would have lost by 90+ points if the boys kept playing instead of celebrating early.

Honorable mention: Geelong 08, St Kilda 09

Wrong. Geelong in 89 also achieved this feat. If it wasn't for Hawthorn having a stellar first quarter and getting 7 goals up they would have lost. They still deny this quarter is the reason for the win though, just like they deny rushed behinds or that they Bradburied 08.

Hahaha, but the reason Geelong outscored Hawthorn over the final three quarters of the 1989 Grand Final was because the Hawks finished with just 13 fit players.

From midway through the first quarter we had no one on left on interchange bench. Three of our champions, Platten, Ayres and DiPierdomenico were gone for the game. You were only allowed two on the bench, so Dipper had to stay out there with broken ribs and a punctured lung. Brereton was also vomiting and pissing blood. All this in the first quarter!

Geelong played dirty, took out some of our best players, had the numerical advantage for THREE quarters, but they still couldn't win. No wonder averyone used to laugh and call them handbaggers. This inferiority complex of theirs saw them choke in another three Grand Finals in the 90's.

Gary Ablett was probably the king of the chokers. After he kicked 9 goals against the injury-depleted Hawks in the '89 Grand Final, he barely got a kick in the month of September.

Has to be Carlton 09 EF. 5 goals up after Cam Cloke jagged one from outside 50 with 12 minutes to go.

It was LOL time. I thought of "The General" at that time & felt utter pity for him.

Geelong 95 GF. Went in as quiet favourites, would have lost by 90+ points if the boys kept playing instead of celebrating early.

Honorable mention: Geelong 08, St Kilda 09

LOL@This . Had a few too many drinks tonight in the True Carlton Spirit ya flog?

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Finals Chokes Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back