Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen some results, Goolagongs kicking a few goals havnt seen much of Gordo's name thrown around but,

Its not the perth League Its the WAFL, I wish he came back to Gossie his humour is sadly missed by all.

I hear Murch Is carving up down South, kicked a load of goals, love to se him back one day.

Not sure if we will ever see those 2 back. Monkys at least getting seen for what he can do over there and from what his dad says he's lovin it. Murch, he was up at the weekend so i hear looking fit as, but his team down there is on top of the ladder so i think he's gone too.

Who was it on this forum that was going to approach the league with any of the good ideas coming from the forum. Whoever it was maybe you can get the idea of the clash of the best of the Coast vs Newcastles best to help the selection panel into the league so it may happen for 09' ???

Who was it on this forum that was going to approach the league with any of the good ideas coming from the forum. Whoever it was maybe you can get the idea of the clash of the best of the Coast vs Newcastles best to help the selection panel into the league so it may happen for 09' ???

unless there has been a dramatic change in the ideaology of the board it will never happen. The thought of having a Newy V CC game has been around since the BDAFL's inception and it was talked down due to the "us vs them" mentality that was perceived to be in the league between the CC & Newcastle clubs. When I was at Cardiff a few presidents pushed for it but it was not received kindly by one particular club with close ties to the hierachy in BDAFL towers so was not even discussed at board level.
Personally I think it would be a good idea though

unless there has been a dramatic change in the ideaology of the board it will never happen. The thought of having a Newy V CC game has been around since the BDAFL's inception and it was talked down due to the "us vs them" mentality that was perceived to be in the league between the CC & Newcastle clubs. When I was at Cardiff a few presidents pushed for it but it was not received kindly by one particular club with close ties to the hierachy in BDAFL towers so was not even discussed at board level.
Personally I think it would be a good idea though

Maybe now that there are different board members that may look at it. We can only hope

Just a few thoughts.

1.The GM reads the forum I am pretty sure.

2. I know a guy that speaks to him on occassions, so I will get a call through to him and offer the suggestion as I stated I would. I will relay the feedback I received to the forum.

3. It will take some reorganisation as that challenge cup the kids play is usually held in July, which tends to be after the rep fixtures.

4. The 15's and 16's TPP program is held in April every year and the CHS Under 15's is held in May, so you can expect the old organisational argument trotted out.

5.The idea of the senior fixture is to pick a team and work with it for the June rep fixtures each year, so logistics will be a factor eg do we have a spare weekend in the draw. When you have 3 boards involved, it will be difficult to agree.

6. Development.
Unfortunately the AFL vetoed the introduction of the Hunter Academy of Sport idea floated by some of the guys in Newcastle.
They said the talented guys were already getting developed through the TPP programs. True, but what about the next tier of guys that will play for clubs until they are 30 and those who dont want to do the TPP program ?
These guys are the ones that will solve the numbers crisis, not the "talented" guys who leave and chase the dream in other areas. Its about grass roots AFL and developing areas as well as the one in a million kid that will make the AFL.
Yes the develoment team is out there and well done, but I personally see that as a bit hit and miss at times.
The academy has a proven record and serves 60+ sports successfully and couldn't beleve we knocked them back.

6. Development.
Unfortunately the AFL vetoed the introduction of the Hunter Academy of Sport idea floated by some of the guys in Newcastle.
They said the talented guys were already getting developed through the TPP programs. True, but what about the next tier of guys that will play for clubs until they are 30 and those who dont want to do the TPP program ?
These guys are the ones that will solve the numbers crisis, not the "talented" guys who leave and chase the dream in other areas. Its about grass roots AFL and developing areas as well as the one in a million kid that will make the AFL.
Yes the develoment team is out there and well done, but I personally see that as a bit hit and miss at times.
The academy has a proven record and serves 60+ sports successfully and couldn't beleve we knocked them back.

if you go back seven years ago there was an under 16 rep side endorsed by the hunter academy, cant remember if it was just newcastle or central coast was involved. it flopped after a year.

if you go back seven years ago there was an under 16 rep side endorsed by the hunter academy, cant remember if it was just newcastle or central coast was involved. it flopped after a year.

The suggested structure isnt a side, simply a development structure. Leave the squads to the League etc, it will just help build the overall strength of the Juniors and help more continue to play the game for the future.

The academy manager said the AFL pulled their support on that squad.

Can anyone shed some light on the overpriced entry fee to number 1 sportsground whenever finals or rep fixtures come around???

Being at the last few grand finals and the recent rep fixture the lack of atmosphere was noticeable. I remember running out on grand final day in 2002 and there were people everywhere. Where does the $10+ for each vehicle and person go? I hope the board have been doing something worthy with that money.

The players don't get paid, at least not that I know of, so why are we coffing up cash to watch Black Diamond Games.
If I was a board member I'd want the best spectacle possible come finals time and lowering that entry fee. $5 would be enough.

Can anyone shed some light on the overpriced entry fee to number 1 sportsground whenever finals or rep fixtures come around???

Being at the last few grand finals and the recent rep fixture the lack of atmosphere was noticeable. I remember running out on grand final day in 2002 and there were people everywhere. Where does the $10+ for each vehicle and person go? I hope the board have been doing something worthy with that money.

The players don't get paid, at least not that I know of, so why are we coffing up cash to watch Black Diamond Games.
If I was a board member I'd want the best spectacle possible come finals time and lowering that entry fee. $5 would be enough.

The gate fee at No 1 and sometimes at Killarney's ground I believe come from the league or so the excuse comes back from the ones tending the gate collecting the monies. There has been a charge at those 2 grounds for as long as i can remember, not always at Killarney but has always been at No 1. Maybe it helps the clubs with the fees to the councils, who knows.

I know for a fact the last Representative fixture (couple of wks ago) actually cost the league money by the time all expenses were taken into account. Perhaps not what should be happening. However the council fees for No 1 have certainly increased over last few years.
Wouldn't it be good to see regular fixtures at Hawkins Oval where fees are a fraction of what they are at No 1.

Hunter Academy of Sport – discussions have been held with the Academy regarding AFL involvement. I believe that they were and are still keen to have AFL involved. Whilst the AFL has the northern Heat squads from what is picked the AFL Academy players, there is nothing at the moment for those players that don’t quite make it other than Hunter Sports High. The latter has what I believe is a good but developing AFL program within the School. This is okay but what if you choose not to send your son there? Unfortunately there is at present no program to capture the remaining talented/ potentially gifted players. Personally I can see a gap developing between those not good enough to make the Academy sides or attend HSH for specialized training. The original thoughts behind a program at H A of S was to compliment rather than compete with existing AFL programs. The idea was to capture those players who don’t quite make it in the AFL elite program or those second tier players with thought to at least develop then into good or very good senior players within the BDAFL. Initial discussion even considered 18 and 19 year olds in a potential program.
As swan 12 said: The basis of the academy was to work with those a little more gifted to ensure they get through to the senior ranks and strengthen clubs.
I doubt if the AFL would see it this way and whilst the H A of S have said initially that they have the resources to start a program (not necessarily the personnel with an AFL background) eventually funding will have to come from somewhere. However what they do have is links to substantial coaching recourses from other codes
Web site: http://www.hunteracademy.org.au/
Western Sydney Academy of Sport appears to run an AFL program in association with the AFL!
http://www.wsas.com.au/main.php?do=clientsitecontent&action=home&pageid=program_afl
But then again I assume that the AFL are throwing a substantial amount of money towards Western Sydney… aren’t they?

Hawkins Oval is on Maitland Road in the suburb of Islington which one of the older suburbs of Newcastle. Western Suburbs used to play their (another defunct BDAFL team), Umpire used to train there, now Rugby plays there! Unfortunately the ground is basically lost to AFL which is “really really” disappointing. The ground is not far from No 1 Sports ground, the home of Newcastle City AFC. Their juniors were encouraged to play home games at Hawkins so that AFL could be seen to be using the ground. But alas they decided to stay at No. 1 - which has far better facilities and a superior playing surfaces --- but No 1 is expensive to hire and every time it looks like rain you can’t use the ground – training included. "No1 has a lot of constraints on it." Hawkins would have in my opinion “could have” been developed into an excellent venue for AFL. A venue that could have been used by all in the AFL commiunity---- Too late now………Look at what has happened at Naranderra.

AFL focus – The AFL development team have a limited budget and their focus is primarily on participation. In previous year this has the number of Auskick packs sold! The development team is now partly focused on school Competition including High Schools. In 2007 the open age competition called the Swans Cup was very successful. In 2008 I believe that there will be substantially more schools involved. Other than U18 Northern Heat I do not believe that AFL development has a plan to develop senior footy in this region. Although the new Regional Manager has an interest in Senior footy and liaises closely with the BDAFL

My comments still valid.

Developing Junior talent - Under 15,16 and 18 TPP early in the season. Under 13,14 trials in September with Championships in October at Naranderra. Junior clubs have recently been asked to nominate talented athletes & players to be involved in the Northern Heat Program for the Under 13 and 14's. NOTE Athelete before player??? Program devised to identify future AFL players.....
The idea as suggested by Swans12 and others is that the Hunter Academy of Sport proposal was to assist in developing talented local footballers. Hopefully footballers who will play seniors for many years.
Unfortunately as said , there is little or no support for this approach from the AFL. Wouldn't it be great if there was golden egg laid to get the HA of S idea started to compliment rather than compete with the AFL programs.

That's strange, I've never noticed the higher prices at No.1 or Adelaide St. Oval during finals

I know for a fact the last Representative fixture (couple of wks ago) actually cost the league money by the time all expenses were taken into account. Perhaps not what should be happening. However the council fees for No 1 have certainly increased over last few years.
Wouldn't it be good to see regular fixtures at Hawkins Oval where fees are a fraction of what they are at No 1.

Yes it would be good to see a local game of footy without having to fork out money. Prob the reason why the league lost money on the last rep game was because people did not show up to watch, just look at the crowd on that day and you could tell it was not well supported (and some people on this forum are talking up another rep fixture that once again no-one will be interested in), and the league did not obtain a liquor license for the ground that day and did not sell one beer or glass of wine. That is an eff-up of gigantic proportions. Does anyone get the feeling this league always wants to walk before it can crawl? Charging people to watch what is a moderate standard of footy and whisking players away to rep carnivals to prove our worth before establishing a competition that can actually capture the imagination of those directly involved. Everyone is sick of the huge gap between the sides in the league and having to pay money to see city run over alower ranked side is not going to popularise the BDAFL amongst potential Aussie Rules followers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it would be good to see a local game of footy without having to fork out money. Prob the reason why the league lost money on the last rep game was because people did not show up to watch, just look at the crowd on that day and you could tell it was not well supported (and some people on this forum are talking up another rep fixture that once again no-one will be interested in), and the league did not obtain a liquor license for the ground that day and did not sell one beer or glass of wine. That is an eff-up of gigantic proportions. Does anyone get the feeling this league always wants to walk before it can crawl? Charging people to watch what is a moderate standard of footy and whisking players away to rep carnivals to prove our worth before establishing a competition that can actually capture the imagination of those directly involved. Everyone is sick of the huge gap between the sides in the league and having to pay money to see city run over alower ranked side is not going to popularise the BDAFL amongst potential Aussie Rules followers.

Agree with most of what you said, although I still think there should be another rep fixture (obviously without that crap charge to get in ). I'm not sure what the admin of the BDAFL has been thinking all these years??? The latest GM didn't even play footy and from what I hear on the grapevine, is a nufty.

I'm glad he has resigned, hopefully someone with a bit of knowledge on footy leagues and football itself finds his or her way into the GM position. Also I know it's been brought up before but what's with the Netball teams etc???, the more you think about it the board have come up with some perplexing decisions over the years.

Hopefully Steve Smith ( the new president or has he resigned already? ) can shake things up a little. The incoming board ( whomever that may be ) needs to leave their EGOS at the door. Your right why do we pay to watch a moderate standard of football, I'll tell you why, because STUPID WHITE MEN are sitting in board rooms making these decisions. We need strong football people in those board level positions.

Bit harsh on Ledwidge, sure he hasn't been everyones favourite but he has copped every bit of criticism launched at the BDAFL while working his ar$e off for not much coin, whilst the board is quite happy to sit back and let him cop it. He pushed and pushed to get the rep team to stay another night in Wagga but the board didn't want a bar of it, eventually the boys paid an extra $50 for the extra night.
On another matter, should City move to Hawkins? A lot cheaper, more reliable (weather), a lot of space to do things with the change rooms. The BDAFL can keep No1 for finals and rep games, or would it bring the reputation of the league down with a club not playing out of the best ground in Newcastle?

snip ... Other thing to is to keep the quality players at your club, everyone winges about cardiff but they have been pretty much the same team for the last 5 years or so.

i hear the juniors coming through at Cardiff are very good bunch ... lots in Northern Heat ... 2 have made State teams ... and i think the whole junior club has not lost a game as yet !!!!!!!

thats a scary thought ...

Bit harsh on Ledwidge, sure he hasn't been everyones favourite but he has copped every bit of criticism launched at the BDAFL while working his ar$e off for not much coin, whilst the board is quite happy to sit back and let him cop it. He pushed and pushed to get the rep team to stay another night in Wagga but the board didn't want a bar of it, eventually the boys paid an extra $50 for the extra night.
On another matter, should City move to Hawkins? A lot cheaper, more reliable (weather), a lot of space to do things with the change rooms. The BDAFL can keep No1 for finals and rep games, or would it bring the reputation of the league down with a club not playing out of the best ground in Newcastle?

Yeah, I guess the whole idea of this forum goes against the "put up or shut up ethos" and we have to be careful of being too critical of any one individual when we talk about things close to our hearts like our footy. On the City to Hawkins move, I think and have for a long time thought it would be a great idea. City as a club pays an extraordinary amount to use No1, which if you ask me is one of the best LOOKING grounds in newcastle but drains dreadfully, causing training and game cancellations, and is a CIRCLE not an OVAL. It is my understanding, and someone could correct me if I am wrong, that the BDAFL contributes nothing to the yearly cost of using the ground despite hosting Rep and finals games there and collecting from the gate. Imagine if City moved to Hawkins and the BDAFL would have to cover that cost - they wouldn't. Hawkins is and always has been a great OVAL shaped ground with a top surface. With what City saves in rent they could surely start to build some adequate facilities - the only prob with the venue.
Any True Blues out there with a particular love for No1?
What do you think?

Yeah, I guess the whole idea of this forum goes against the "put up or shut up ethos" and we have to be careful of being too critical of any one individual when we talk about things close to our hearts like our footy. On the City to Hawkins move, I think and have for a long time thought it would be a great idea. City as a club pays an extraordinary amount to use No1, which if you ask me is one of the best LOOKING grounds in newcastle but drains dreadfully, causing training and game cancellations, and is a CIRCLE not an OVAL. It is my understanding, and someone could correct me if I am wrong, that the BDAFL contributes nothing to the yearly cost of using the ground despite hosting Rep and finals games there and collecting from the gate. Imagine if City moved to Hawkins and the BDAFL would have to cover that cost - they wouldn't. Hawkins is and always has been a great OVAL shaped ground with a top surface. With what City saves in rent they could surely start to build some adequate facilities - the only prob with the venue.
Any True Blues out there with a particular love for No1?
What do you think?

My opinion of number 1 is the same as Mick Malthouses when he brought Collingwood here, " It is an U/12's ground "

Well put....Tree Hugger sound like you very little about nothing. Bagging the messanger is not constructive.....

In regards to Hawkins the bottom line is that it has (had) potential. With out a club based out of Hawkins the AFL who not touch it in regards to possible funding for future development. Not much wrong with surface at Hawkins - alright its not a bowling green but is an oval of decent size.

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture not the insular view from within/at a club. OR maybe we be all just be satisfied with 2 Newcastle and 2 Central Coast .... a four team competition would be great!

There lies the problem with clubs spending dollars on Council grounds.

I am pretty sure City poured a heap of cash into the clubrooms at No 1 and therefore would obviously feel as though they are detrimented with a move away.

Great concept to develop Hawkins into the home of football, but who pays for it?

Having a match of the round at No 1 is also an option, if City was to move, but we do still need to keep the ground as things like NAB cup games would not happen as clubs are lucky to accept the bowling green surface at No 1 as it is.

In fact the Swans made the curator mow it shorter last time.

There lies the problem with clubs spending dollars on Council grounds.

I am pretty sure City poured a heap of cash into the clubrooms at No 1 and therefore would obviously feel as though they are detrimented with a move away.

Great concept to develop Hawkins into the home of football, but who pays for it?

Having a match of the round at No 1 is also an option, if City was to move, but we do still need to keep the ground as things like NAB cup games would not happen as clubs are lucky to accept the bowling green surface at No 1 as it is.

In fact the Swans made the curator mow it shorter last time.

we did pump alot of money into that clubroom at no1, thats why it is going to be a big decision if we decide to move from there.

the idea has been floated of a move to hawkins, but getting the ground up to scratch with new lighting, changerooms, clubrooms etc etc, we have been told that it will cost up to and around the $1mil mark, but we would also have to wrestle the ground from the hands of the rugby aswell.

the only way the club would be able to move to hawkins is if we were helped in paying for all the upgrades because there is no way we would be able to pay for it all

Been out of the area for a while, just read through all the posts. Read on the BDAFL website that Board members have left, now you say the GM? :eek:

When is he leaving? Why? Some people are happy he is gone, some not so. I did not see on the website that he resigned and you think you would. More important, if it is true, are they replacing him?

Rep Footy - Great idea of Central Coast V Newcastle as a selection game. When do you play it?
No.1 - Great ground but a bit small, can use circle shape to advantage

The GM did resign of his own free will. I find it disturbing that another new board member this season could only last a few months. Maybe he wasn't old enough to fit into the 80s way of thinking. We would hate to get a more modern approach without being criticised for having such a thought.
I hear a current board member with stripes is/has a few close friends coming onto the BDAFL board. Just what this region needs, another manufactured empire. Perhaps this board member needs to resign from not only the BDAFL, but also his club position, then both groups could move forward into 2008.

Swans12
Was just flicking thru the Cairns AFL forum and noted you enquired about the where abouts of Laurie Angwin , played with Laurie last year at South Cairns. The lad still has a lot of talent (took (voted) mark of the year against Pt Douglas but ended up in Hospital) spent more time off the track than on ! I think he still has quite a few off field dramas (demons) to take care off. Was supposed to be playing again for them again this year !?

The GM did resign of his own free will. I find it disturbing that another new board member this season could only last a few months. Maybe he wasn't old enough to fit into the 80s way of thinking. We would hate to get a more modern approach without being criticised for having such a thought.
I hear a current board member with stripes is/has a few close friends coming onto the BDAFL board. Just what this region needs, another manufactured empire. Perhaps this board member needs to resign from not only the BDAFL, but also his club position, then both groups could move forward into 2008.

Considering there is only 4 members i cant guess who has stripes?
I would recomend any new member be computer illiterate or very thick skined to put up with the "constructive" criticism on this forum.

With GM resigning whats the timeline- will he see out season?
Why are the board members giving it away?
Is there an something going on behind the scenes thats causing problems?

I certainly wouldnt want to stick my hand up and then be told how to suck eggs and have my input ridiculed as has been suggested may be an issue in the short terms of some officials over the last few years.

Maybe its time for some new blood to take control- who elects the board,Is ther a Jim Steynes out there- looks like there wouldnt be much resistance to some new leadership

Maybe its time for some new blood to take control- who elects the board,Is ther a Jim Steynes out there- looks like there wouldnt be much resistance to some new leadership[/quote]

Just on Jim Stynes, did anyone see him having a sook at the press conference? Just what the dees need some emotionally crippled jelly-fish to show them how to be a hard-nosed contemporary footy team in a comp that is more about considered business decisions than loyalty or tears. Seems any time anyone has an announcement about something they have to have a cry about it - Bob Hawke has a lot to answer for.

Sorry just my rant!

Hows everyone see this round shaping up?
Any upsets on the cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back