Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my view on club umpires is that they are necessary in this competition. The situation with umpire numbers is (or should be) the second biggest issue on the BDAFLs plate. The umpires are always going to get criticised, no doubt about that. How the problem gets fixed I really dont know. I have said in the past that in the last 13 or so years Ive been playing footy Ive never seen anything in a local paper regarding umpiring, so why doesnt the league ring a few of the local papers and get an article put in there??? Its not hard to do. I guess the BDAFL has to shoulder some of the blame, but I also think the NCCUA has to get out there and actively try and recruit as well.
I think the club umpires in 2s and 18s isnt too bad an idea. It happens in a lot of leagues around Australia, and as a matter of fact I think a lot of the club umpires have a better feel for the game and are more open to communication than a few of the official blokes running around in the lower grades (one being a former BDAFL board member who handles questioning so badly he awards free kicks against supporters in under 18s matches)
In first grade it should be accredited umpires only, if there arent enough for 3 in a game then only use 2. The grounds up here are small enough for 2 umpires to work. It has been mentioned that in some 1st grade games there may only be club umpires. This would be a massive blight on the league and a very ordinary situation for senior footy.
I know the league want the club umpires to eventually become full time accredited umpires, if this happens its a good process. The only other positive I can see is that there are a number of kids umpiring junior footy who seem to handle themselves alright. Might be a bit of time away but if they stay involved they will be good umpires in the next 3-5 years.
The worst thing to probably happen to umpiring was Grant Godfrey standing down. He was a great communicator and the umpires seemed to have real good morale and were more open to communication when he was in charge. They need someone else like him to get involved and encourage the other blokes with the whistle quickly!

As far as I'm aware Woy Woy were never, ever going to be in a position to field all 3 grades this year. Their under 18s were a totally non-competitive side and their reserve grade was made up of around 20 players. They needed to get 50 more players to their club to have a chance. Admittedly they were keen and thought they could do it, however in my opinion the BDAFL should have bitten the bullet years ago when they couldnt field a side, and not readmitted them until they were capable of fielding 3 grades.QUOTE]

As a former player and committee member at Woy Woy, I can say that once the BDAFL started they were always going to struggle. It was hard enough fielding 1sts & Reserves in a local comp. We often had stack of players at Rogers Park, but couldn't get guys to travel to Bateau Bay, let alone Nelson Bay.

The problem with footy in Newcastle/Central Coast now is that while at the top it is a lot more professional and slick, and more attractive to guys coming into the area from down south who already have an Aussie Rules background and culture, there is nowhere for local "pub team" blokes who just want a kick in the park.

Why would someone from Woy Woy with little to no AR background want to play when they have to travel 3 hours round trip for a game and more than likely get smashed. It's easier just to play league or soccer locally.

A 12th hour repreive and an application submitted by the Singleton club will see them now play in the 2008 season (Res & 18s). A big congratulations must go to Junior club President Phil Huntington, who did not lay down when told their Seniors no longer existed. Although there will be strict conditions placed on them by the league, it's certainly a positive result. Maybe it was a good choice not to redo the draw?????

This weekends games:
Wyong V Nelson Bay - Wyong by 7 goals
Gosford V Terrigal - Terrigal by 4 goals
Cardiff V Warners Bay - Cardiff by 4 goals
City V Kilarney Vale - City by 4 goals

mmm... an interesting day of action!

Wyong made a positive start to the season and appeared much fitter than the past. Still possibly missing a few quality players, but no doubt will have a far improved year in 2008, should push most teams and get a few wins. Nelson Bay we disappointing, but hopefully they can re-group and build.

Terrigal look promising, but hard to judge as it’s always hard to tell where Gosford are at.

Cardiff is definitely the team to beat. With Mick Ryan back they are potent in the forward line and the new tall fella looks the goods aswell. Hard to see anyone running with Adam Clarke, he has a big motor and gives them plenty of drive. Warners will no doubt improve immensely on that, and will be a different side when they get their full compliment of players back from suspension.

City started slow, but finished very well in what was an intriguing game of footy, mainly due to the send off and half time scoring change that seen City have their score wiped clean. For City to still win this one showed great character and fitness, while highlighting a disappointing Bombers side that looked unfit and was missing a number of players from last season.

It will be interesting to see how round 2 unfolds

Can anybody tell me how the 1st round went???? Bit hard to follow from down in Melbourne!!!:)

Just wondering if anyone has seen the team of the week on the BDAFL website?

I find it funny that Rick White was picked in this team considering that he walked off the field and left his team a player down with about 10mins remaining in the game!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone has seen the team of the week on the BDAFL website?

I find it funny that Rick White was picked in this team considering that he walked off the field and left his team a player down with about 10mins remaining in the game!!!!!!!!!

yeah- he was worried some newcastle player was going to steal his premiership medal while he was on the ground- next time he should just leave it at home-
Jokes aside Rick would definately be in the best 20 no problem there

Deitzy,

Would you be able to comment on the WB bloke that hit the young cardiff player in the throat in last weeks game?

No Gibson hard to read into Cardiffs win, when the Dogs were missing a few. There early form has shown that they have done some work over presason. But the real acid test will be this week against N/City. So people please dont rave on about Cardiff and how they are unbeatable.

Also Brendan McGarth isn't coming back to City, he has transferred to Queensland State League team Zillmere from Eastlakes in the ACTAFL.

skvfboi, I didnt actually see what happened with the incident as I was watching the play. Obviously something happened off the ball, Ive heard a few different reports, but the player who hit Dawesy has a couple of weeks off I believe and was reported by the goal umpire.
Cardiff were pretty red hot, they had plenty of numbers around the ball, smashed us at the clearances and have plenty of fire power up front. They didnt have Gibson or Simmo, while we had quite a few out as well. We did well to still be in the game at half time, but the Hawks blew us away at the start of the 3rd quarter. Going to be a great game between City and the Hawks on Saturday, with the winner probably establishing themself as the early premiership favourite.
In the other games I saw Wyong played some good footy to knock off Nelly Bay by plenty. Plenty of young blokes in Wyongs side. Keep an eye out for Zach Manley to have a big impact for them this year. The Marlins looked a bit off the pace, with Donny Spencer running around again with a couple of his sons in the side! He still can find the footy when he wants it too!
Terrigal had a new look side against Gosford who also had a few new faces. Pretty interesting game of footy, I probably saw 2 and a half quarters, and Terrigal were led by the Spoonman who kicked 3 and was a menace for Gosford in the forward line. Gosford came back at the end to bring the scores closer, but plenty of their blokes will be better for the run and will be interesting to see how things pan out this week!
Didnt see any of the last game due to the massive break between our game and that game. I hear there were a few controversial incidents!
Tips for this week
Warners vs Gosford- Warners by 6 goals
Cardiff vs City- Cardiff by 3 goals
Killarney vs Terrigal- Killarney by 4 goals
Nelson Bay vs the Crows- Nelson Bay by 10 points

Intesting to StGeorge have gained Gordon and Goolagong according to season preview on sfl- afl website, no clearances up but a big loss for the Bay if correct, - i think both would kill it in Sydney

be interesting to see where they play goologong as st george already have the best full forward in the comp n a few other quility talls.does gordans suspension carry over to the sfl?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The higher the level the better the Gong will go in my opinion. Not too many blokes can reach over or around him, and if the delivery is excellent cant see him getting beaten. One question is the increased fitness and whether he can keep it going for 4 quarters? Time will tell but he should make an impact down there

skvfboi, I didnt actually see what happened with the incident as I was watching the play. Obviously something happened off the ball, Ive heard a few different reports, but the player who hit Dawesy has a couple of weeks off I believe and was reported by the goal umpire.
Cardiff were pretty red hot, they had plenty of numbers around the ball, smashed us at the clearances and have plenty of fire power up front. They didnt have Gibson or Simmo, while we had quite a few out as well. We did well to still be in the game at half time, but the Hawks blew us away at the start of the 3rd quarter. Going to be a great game between City and the Hawks on Saturday, with the winner probably establishing themself as the early premiership favourite.
In the other games I saw Wyong played some good footy to knock off Nelly Bay by plenty. Plenty of young blokes in Wyongs side. Keep an eye out for Zach Manley to have a big impact for them this year. The Marlins looked a bit off the pace, with Donny Spencer running around again with a couple of his sons in the side! He still can find the footy when he wants it too!
Terrigal had a new look side against Gosford who also had a few new faces. Pretty interesting game of footy, I probably saw 2 and a half quarters, and Terrigal were led by the Spoonman who kicked 3 and was a menace for Gosford in the forward line. Gosford came back at the end to bring the scores closer, but plenty of their blokes will be better for the run and will be interesting to see how things pan out this week!
Didnt see any of the last game due to the massive break between our game and that game. I hear there were a few controversial incidents!
Tips for this week
Warners vs Gosford- Warners by 6 goals
Cardiff vs City- Cardiff by 3 goals
Killarney vs Terrigal- Killarney by 4 goals
Nelson Bay vs the Crows- Nelson Bay by 10 points

Deitzy... Warners by 6 ur kidin arent ya??
I think the Crows by 4... With Hodgey kicking 5!!!
Though I do agree with you about Zach he is a Gun!!
Quick question... does a 18s player have to play that grade or can just play 1s??? p.s. do you think singleton will turn up??

be interesting to see where they play goologong as st george already have the best full forward in the comp n a few other quility talls.does gordans suspension carry over to the sfl?

Yes Gordo's suspension should carry over too the SFL but depends on if it was a club suspension or a league suspension.There is nothing on the BDAFL site about those players for the BDAFL that were suspened.

Deitzy are you able to comment about this more? I know you are only new to WB but surely you would be able to provide some more insight into this matter.

The Crows FF Peter Dugmore from all accords is going to be played up the ground this year. ;););) Just so they can accomodate Maurie.

From all accounts a spokes person from the Crows said if Maurie could kick 40 + goals a year that would be a good return for them.

Mind you a forward like including Dugmore and Robbie Ahmat ( Ex Collingwood and Sydney) + Maurie. Opposition coachs are going to be pulling their hair out. LoL

Maurie hasn't played any trials matchs yet for the Crows. But I can confirm Gordo has played two. 1 against Syd Uni to whom they went down too narrowly and the other against Eastlakes the other week.

NO more rumours from me expect Christian Davis moving from Cardiff to Lake Macquire.I will get back to you on this rumour, but my sources tell me that Crows are keen to gain his services.

Interesting to see another up and coming footballer restarting his career for Cardiff this weekend. I dare say that eye brows will be raised when City see who it is, then again I think most clubs may be suprised.

W Bay V Gosford - W Bay by 6 goals
Cardiff V City - Cardiff by 35 points (City needs more height)
K Vale V Terrigal - Bombers by 7 goals
N Bay V Lake Macquarie - Crows by 3 goals (big supporter contingent going)

Interesting to see another up and coming footballer restarting his career for Cardiff this weekend. I dare say that eye brows will be raised when City see who it is, then again I think most clubs may be suprised.

And which young footballer are you talking about exactly whisper?

Murray White because I think most people seen him play last week :D:D:D:D

And which young footballer are you talking about exactly whisper?

Murray White because I think most people seen him play last week :D:D:D:D

Young Singleton gun, Sam Brassington. Played numerous Swans Res matches last year and some people have had huge raps on the kid.

Young Singleton gun, Sam Brassington. Played numerous Swans Res matches last year and some people have had huge raps on the kid.

Young Brasso. That's interesting. I know he was wanting to play 1st grade this year.

He'll probably play 18s this weekend, but I don't think he'll stay there long. Ricky Roberts wouldn't know who he is, but I bet he's watching the 18s this weekend.

be interesting to see how goologong goes in the sfl then.st george seem as though they will be a bit top heavy now n be interesting wat they do with minichello if they push dugmore up to chf as he is a decent chf himself,not to mention they have brad percy as another tall but i believe he plays in the pocket.back to the bdafl,which of each clubs new signings looks decent n as if they will be a power in the comp?

be interesting to see how goologong goes in the sfl then.st george seem as though they will be a bit top heavy now n be interesting wat they do with minichello if they push dugmore up to chf as he is a decent chf himself,not to mention they have brad percy as another tall but i believe he plays in the pocket.back to the bdafl,which of each clubs new signings looks decent n as if they will be a power in the comp?

Brad Percy is back this year playing in the Black Diamond.

I am sure that if you going to Caringbah hotel on a Friday nite you will run into a few of the St George boys ;).

But I will talk to my sources and see what the go is , all I know all players that were involved with Maurie coming to the club are happy to make way for him As they know how important he is in terms of winning a flag. This move has been on for a while now since St Georges presentation nite last season. So all in all I think the Crows players are happy to have both Gordo and Maurie as team mates this season.

Do we have any takers for this ?

Anyone wanna have a crack at this?

Premier:
Runner Up:
Smokey:
Wooden Spoon:
Disappointment:
League Medal:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:
Headline of the Year:

where bouts is brad percy playin in the bdafl this yr?i see he is a new rego to killarney vale but this wouldnt make sense as i would of thought it would have to be a transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back