Blockbutsr matches advanatgeing teams are a myth,

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Gopies 2002
Friday night games and "blockbusters" which include the big 4 (and lets not forget the interstate derbies) have ensured the viability of the clubs like the Bulldogs/North etc through the TV rights at least until this current contract expires.

Wow! You've included 1, 2 AND 3. Well done!

Originally posted by hotpie
Its all very well to take the left wing pinko feed the world antiglobalisation spin on it. But its a waste of time. Money drives everything, especially so since the day the AFL sold its soul to Channel Nine and Channel Ten

(Small 4yo boy looks up with big brown eyes) Hotpie, my puppy needs an operation or it will die. His name is Lucky. Can you help me?

Give Channel Nine a call and ask them which game they would prefer to televise. Which game would rate better, which would attract/satisfy their advertisers more.
Which brings better ratings.....

1. Collingwood vs Essendon on Anzac Day, St Kilda vs Bulldogs at any other time of year

2. St Kilda vs Bulldogs on Anzac Day, Collingwood vs Essendon at any other time of year.

Its all very well to take the left wing pinko feed the world antiglobalisation spin on it. But its a waste of time. Money drives everything, especially so since the day the AFL sold its soul to Channel Nine and Channel Ten.
Yup yup.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
A distant second.
Its certainly daylight before third.

Originally posted by Yianni
(Small 4yo boy looks up with big brown eyes) Hotpie, my puppy needs an operation or it will die. His name is Lucky. Can you help me?

The best way to fund very expensive operation is to hold an Anzac Day football game between Essendon and Collingwood.

Do the supporters of smaller CLUBS –really think that Block Buster would save them finically? – On the other hand, are they (supporters) covering up / neglecting a bigger problem and that is their Club does not rate or does not have the right Support from its members/supporters base in the first place.

The struggling CLUBS should get there act together re supporters/members, Get the crowd / drawing power in place and you will find there is no need for Block buster, because the Crowd will attend games they play no matter who they play.

Block buster as they are now – Benefit all CLUBS not just he one who are playing them, because of the amount of crowd they draw - Scheduling Block Busters that have teams Saints, Bulldogs, Roos (Not meant as a put down all those CLUBS) will only benefit those teams playing.

Teams like Essendon, Collingwood will still get big crowds to their games and will still make money from those games.

The TV networks want teams that rate and guess which teams the TV station want to televise, that’s why they paid 100 million dollars a year, they have a big say in the Fixtures

Originally posted by Watcher

The TV networks want teams that rate and guess which teams the TV station want to televise, that’s why they paid 100 million dollars a year, they have a big say in the Fixtures

Correct

Here's a thought. let the big 4 (even though one is near extinct) have their return games amonst themselves but also have erturn games against all the SA ans WA clubs.

That way the other 6 vic clubs have 2 return games against each other, and 2 against swans and lions.

so for a club like the doggies there would be- out of 11 home games:

2 home games rotaing between carl coll ess rich - larger crowds

5 home games against other vic clubs - usually over 30,000 so profitable at least

2 home games against swans and lions - can be quite large crowds

2 home against WA and SA clubs -rotating so only 2 loss makers every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the issue really revolves more around whether or not the draw should be able to be "fixed" or not.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with "blockbuster" clashes, as I think they are great for promoting the game. However, I do also believe that they provide an advantage for those teams who are involved in them. This is basically due to the fact that these teams are virtually guaranteed to face each other twice in a season.

The issue relating to "public holiday" games, is that the promotion that goes with these occasions is greater than that which accompanies normal fixtures. If the same clubs receive the same opportunities at the expense of others, this undoubtedly has an affect. This isn't a statistical argument.

It is true, also, that these clubs reap the benefits via the fact that they themselves have large supporter bases. However, if clubs like the Kangaroos and Bulldogs were guaranteed to play the bigger clubs twice on significant dates, it's undoubted that they would then be able to cut in on the profits generated.

Personally, in an ideal world, I'd have every club playing each other twice, and none of this nonsense with Melbourne playing a one-off home game at the Gabba. I don't object to clubs like Hawthorn and the Kangaroos playing out of Tasmania and Canberra, as they are at least promoting the game in those areas, but Melbourne's arrangement is based purely on money-grabbing, and IMO, compromises the integrity of the draw (and hey, it's my club that benefits!).

At the end of the day, I don't particularly believe that the AFL have the fortunes of all 16 clubs at heart. I don't believe they are overly fussed about the finer philosophical arguments relating to an "even competition", and it is obvious that they carry their own set of presuppositions and values when heading into decision making regarding the game. And that is even without stating how I feel about the way Fitzroy was dealt with!

I feel for the clubs (especially the supporters) who are now in a similar position to Fitzroy. Unfortunately, they will just have to make the best of their opportunities and hope for the best. At least they shouldn't give up trying.

As for me, I've had enough of getting involved in issues which detract from the elements of the game which I can still enjoy (mainly, what my own club offers). The arguments about salary caps, concessions, blockbuster games and the like are never ending. Those who argue one way over one thing, will argue something entirely different in another issue, even though it basically undermines the "morals" that they applied to their original arugment. Everyone is out for themselves, and people apply supposedly "moral" judgements on a basis which is more erratic than Melbourne's year-to-year form line.

There will never be a truly "even" competition, because, you can guarantee that someone will always have a view which would argue to the contrary. Who's to say who is right or wrong anyway? It's just a game - one which has gone commercial (and since when has commericalism ever embraced "morals"?). One of the greatest falacies about commericalised games is the notion of "fair rules".

Is 2 the number of people who fronted to your gig?

No, my gig was a blockbuster. I got 70,000 (I would have gotten more, but the room was being redeveloped!)

If you're serious though, it's referring back to a reference from my initial post.

Originally posted by Stocka
Those who argue one way over one thing, will argue something entirely different in another issue, even though it basically undermines the "morals" that they applied to their original arugment. Everyone is out for themselves, and people apply supposedly "moral" judgements on a basis which is more erratic than Melbourne's year-to-year form line.
Not necessarily.

I am fully against the salary cap gifts to the northern states. I am indifferent to the continual doubling up of the "big four" (even if Dan has proven it not to be a "bonus" at all).

At the end of the day, I call for full equality accross the board, but I do want Collingwood and Essendon to keep the ANZAC Day tradition.

I am a realist and full equality is never going to happen in a 22 round competition.

The salary cap must be replaced with better methods, that doesn't help onfield performance, there's no doubting that.

But a full random draw seems a bit harsh. Perhaps it should be random, with the exception of one request from a club or two clubs combined.

This way, it would be possible to maintain showpieces such as two home derbies for the western states, the ANZAC Day tradition and even see new traditions begin, such as a regular Easter Monday clash between the Saints & Tigers!

At the end of the day, I call for full equality accross the board, but I do want Collingwood and Essendon to keep the ANZAC Day tradition.

Always fond it funny that ANZAC day is a tradition for Collingwood and Essendon but clubs like WC and Adelaide are untraditional.

Exactly how long makes a tradition? Did the 'roos become traditional preliminary finalists in the 90's?

Originally posted by Port01
Always fond it funny that ANZAC day is a tradition for Collingwood and Essendon but clubs like WC and Adelaide are untraditional.

Exactly how long makes a tradition? Did the 'roos become traditional preliminary finalists in the 90's?
Nice gag.

But seriously, the ANZAC Day tradition between Collingwood and Essendon has been going since there has been 15 of the existing clubs in the competition and is nearing a decade. That's long enough!

Not one single combination of clubs has put there hand up to forge a tradition of their own on any other day during the year. Not one!

Why is that? Answer: Because it's easier to covet other clubs' success, than be pro-active and come up with your own innovation!!

Nice gag.

Not one single combination of clubs has put there hand up to forge a tradition of their own on any other day during the year. Not one!

Except Collingwood vs Melbourne Queens Birthday! Unfortunately it clashes with the opening weekend of the ski season but Pies fans always turn up!

Except Collingwood vs Melbourne Queens Birthday! Unfortunately it clashes with the opening weekend of the ski season but Pies fans always turn up!
This is one game whereby we earn the right to an ANZAC Day type clash!

We give them a guaranteed home game every year against us, on a public holiday, so that they can make money off of us.

Ain't we nice!! :cool:

This is one game whereby we earn the right to an ANZAC Day type clash!

We give them a guaranteed home game every year against us, on a public holiday, so that they can make money off of us.

Ain't we nice!! :cool:

It works both ways, they let us flog them over the arse by 10 goals each year in return.

;)

Friday night games and "blockbusters" which include the big 4 (and lets not forget the interstate derbies) have ensured the viability of the clubs like the Bulldogs/North etc through the TV rights at least until this current contract expires.
Has it just?. It removes extra revenue that North/Bulldogs ect would have. Sure the AFL gets extra money from this deal, by giving Friday night footy to the big 4 but they are robbing North in particular, who pioneered it! The AFL may give us some of this 'extra' money but only after we have been financially crippled and on the provision we are operate on 92.5% of the cap. If we had of kept our Friday nights we would have bigger crowds, more exposure to draw new members and bigger sponsorships. We wouldn’t need a damn hand out! How people can not see the impact this has on clubs like North is beyond me.
Not one single combination of clubs has put there hand up to forge a tradition of their own on any other day during the year. Not one! Why is that? Answer: Because it's easier to covet other clubs' success, than be pro-active and come up with your own innovation!!
Hmmm, I recall North trying for years to get a Good Friday game, so we have at least tried. Whats the point in being pro-active and innovative when you do hit the jackpot (Friday night footy) it gets given to the big 4.

Now that Easter Monday is recognised as a good day for Football, as long as there are no other games, you can bet your bottom dollar that Collingwood, followed by Essendon, will try and steal it. Fact.
I know that this was one page one or something, but currently, this is only an opinion. It can only become a fact if/when it happens.

Originally posted by Stocka
I guess the issue really revolves more around whether or not the draw should be able to be "fixed" or not.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with "blockbuster" clashes, as I think they are great for promoting the game. However, I do also believe that they provide an advantage for those teams who are involved in them. This is basically due to the fact that these teams are virtually guaranteed to face each other twice in a season.

The issue relating to "public holiday" games, is that the promotion that goes with these occasions is greater than that which accompanies normal fixtures. If the same clubs receive the same opportunities at the expense of others, this undoubtedly has an affect. This isn't a statistical argument.

It is true, also, that these clubs reap the benefits via the fact that they themselves have large supporter bases. However, if clubs like the Kangaroos and Bulldogs were guaranteed to play the bigger clubs twice on significant dates, it's undoubted that they would then be able to cut in on the profits generated.

Personally, in an ideal world, I'd have every club playing each other twice, and none of this nonsense with Melbourne playing a one-off home game at the Gabba. I don't object to clubs like Hawthorn and the Kangaroos playing out of Tasmania and Canberra, as they are at least promoting the game in those areas, but Melbourne's arrangement is based purely on money-grabbing, and IMO, compromises the integrity of the draw (and hey, it's my club that benefits!).

At the end of the day, I don't particularly believe that the AFL have the fortunes of all 16 clubs at heart. I don't believe they are overly fussed about the finer philosophical arguments relating to an "even competition", and it is obvious that they carry their own set of presuppositions and values when heading into decision making regarding the game. And that is even without stating how I feel about the way Fitzroy was dealt with!

I feel for the clubs (especially the supporters) who are now in a similar position to Fitzroy. Unfortunately, they will just have to make the best of their opportunities and hope for the best. At least they shouldn't give up trying.

As for me, I've had enough of getting involved in issues which detract from the elements of the game which I can still enjoy (mainly, what my own club offers). The arguments about salary caps, concessions, blockbuster games and the like are never ending. Those who argue one way over one thing, will argue something entirely different in another issue, even though it basically undermines the "morals" that they applied to their original arugment. Everyone is out for themselves, and people apply supposedly "moral" judgements on a basis which is more erratic than Melbourne's year-to-year form line.

There will never be a truly "even" competition, because, you can guarantee that someone will always have a view which would argue to the contrary. Who's to say who is right or wrong anyway? It's just a game - one which has gone commercial (and since when has commericalism ever embraced "morals"?). One of the greatest falacies about commericalised games is the notion of "fair rules".

What he said.
Scrap the WizFiz and extend the H/A rounds. Easy.

Originally posted by SydneyBomber
What he said.
Scrap the WizFiz and extend the H/A rounds. Easy.

Yes ... but when they give the minor premier MORE recognition. No point extending the season only to determine a final 8. If you extend the season, there must be prizemoney and a cup awarded. In a 30 round season, top spot is a mighty achievement! If you are going to have a season only to determine a top 8 (finals), then you may as well play 15 rounds.

The minor premier in a 30 round season deserves an accolade ... almost as much as the actual premier. Top spot would rubber stamp that team as the best for the season ... consistency-wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blockbutsr matches advanatgeing teams are a myth,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back