Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

at least he has a hobby.........
Any concerns about the neck brace?
Just got back from walking the dog and he gave me a solid 'thumbs up' when I asked how he is travelling 👍 That's enough for me 😂

I didn't know of any neck issue but he's definitely not wearing a neck brace 😂🤷 Looking in mint Weiterbot condition. Hurry back soon, Weiters!

Last edited:

Anyone got any inside goss on Marchy’s illness? Or whether he will be okay for opening round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh is important but we can cover (for now)

JW we can’t just need to get to the bye 1-1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Full back should be the easiest position on the group to cover with pressure up the field and others roaming to help out.

McGovern, Newman, Docherty, Marchbank (on the rare occasions he actually plays) are all good at helping out aerially.

Our defence is usually rock solid but our broader structural problem is that a) we set up too deep defensively, and try to win the ball back deep inside defensively and b) we don't put on enough pressure in the forward half, and then we don't get enough pressure in the midfield.

In those instances, Weitering gets caught 1-1 because the ball moves so quickly and rapidly down the ground, and that's where it stands out when he is missing. The solution is to be more aggressive, apply better pressure forward and in the midfield, and not try to turn the ball over 10m from the opposition goal. This will have the flow-on effect of helping us score more, because we don't have to go 200m to score every time we get it.

At our best last year, we played a spare man at the stoppages, absolutely hammered our opponents at clearances, then applied fantastic pressure to win the ball back. When it worked, we piled on goals, and when it didn't, we were hard to score against. If we are playing that style of footy then Walsh missing hurts a lot more than Weitering IMO...

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back