List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

The logic around JSOS playing back because his dad was a full back amazes me.

It's like saying Mia Fevola should play Full Forward because her dad did.
The logic around JSOS playing back is just common sense for various reasons. Sure, that (b/c his Dad did) isn't at the top of the list. But:
  • He has some of the best defensive capabilities and second-third efforts of anyone in our team
  • He's the perfect size and has good overall ability and footy IQ, having played in various positions
  • He has fallen out (pre-injury even, arguably) of locked best 22 spot up forward given the team has developed
  • We've had success turning even the most maligned player in Gov into a high-quality backman
  • It seems the rage these days to turn 'failed' forwards into excellent defenders to reasonable success
  • JSOS is a team player so would give it everything to make it work
  • It's worth trying before paying up to get an expensive KPD option given our list and salary situation
  • He already has excellent chemistry and connection with the team so would slot into the backs group easily
I'm 100% on board the JSOS in defense and Kemp up forward this offseason.

More trades like Blacres, Hewett please..... guys who are best 22 at current club but are getting squeezed out by salary cap/team balance. (Elijah Hollands trade also a masterstroke, but we got lucky there on price).

None of this 2 x firsts rubbish. Players rarely end up worth the price.... Especially not for a 27yo. That's what free agency is for.

100% agree. This is my take

Use FA plus Acres, Elijah type deals and bring in young talent through draft

Basically saying we wonā€™t entertain the two first round picks wanted by Port, particularly with our picks tied up with the Camporeale twins.

it then suggests that Blues might attempt to use an early pick before matching a bid on the Camporealeā€™s, but we wonā€™t give away current and 2025 first-rounders for a player who will be 28 next year.

In regards to Owies, that we are keeping options open and holding off on a contract offer for now.

Surely we use our first round pick in the draft? No way Ben Campo gets bid before 20-25.

Re: Owies. Has longer terms deals to Cottrell Durdin Pittonet Young etc have restricted our spots? This is why I don't like them and didn't see the need. If available other clubs will jump at Owies. Not a star but a very handy, effective small forward

Houston to me is a big yes. Not for 2x firsts, he's a HBF who averages 23 touches the last 3 yrs and 20 for his career. He's an elite, elite kick so that's his value, but flankers who average low 20s don't get 2x firsts. Especially flankers in their late 20s.

I'd do 1x first & future 2nd for Houston and a future 3rd. Given we have some NGA stuff going on next yr the swap of 2nd for 3rd round picks may not be a big deal for us, but could be for them (I must admit I'm not fully across the new bidding system so am not sure if 3rd picks have the same value they once did, but assuming they do still have some value that's the deal I'd be ok with). To be honest I feel like 1x first (around pick 10) is enough straight up, but he is contracted so maybe Port play hard ball.

Do we need another HBF? Probably not. But what we do need, desperately, is elite ball users, and they don't get much more elite than Houston, so it's one I'd pull the trigger on. Also, he's dependable physically and doesn't get injured. Another big need for us.

Owies has kicked 3 goals in a game 6 times this year.

For a small crumber, thatā€™s decent.
šŸ‘

Yeah didnā€™t realise that either

Imo Club should work out a fair contract and offer it to him. If he decides to leave thatā€™s his choice and not much we can do.

Heā€™s robust and his output is very good and consistent. If we try and get a supposed ā€˜upgradeā€™ā€¦too many unknowns when you bring in a new player. It doesnā€™t make sense to me. Itā€™s not how I would be doing business.

There was that one time when he stubbed his toe though šŸ¤¦

Houston to me is a big yes. Not for 2x firsts, he's a HBF who averages 23 touches the last 3 yrs and 20 for his career. He's an elite, elite kick so that's his value, but flankers who average low 20s don't get 2x firsts. Especially flankers in their late 20s.

I'd do 1x first & future 2nd for Houston and a future 3rd. Given we have some NGA stuff going on next yr the swap of 2nd for 3rd round picks may not be a big deal for us, but could be for them (I must admit I'm not fully across the new bidding system so am not sure if 3rd picks have the same value they once did, but assuming they do still have some value that's the deal I'd be ok with). To be honest I feel like 1x first (around pick 10) is enough straight up, but he is contracted so maybe Port play hard ball.

Do we need another HBF? Probably not. But what we do need, desperately, is elite ball users, and they don't get much more elite than Houston, so it's one I'd pull the trigger on. Also, he's dependable physically and doesn't get injured. Another big need for us.
Given up a first rounder and second rounder is way overs in my opinion given his age. Bailey Smith at 23 is looking at a mid first rounder to get a deal done. I'd prefer to target Miles Bergman.

Last edited:
I don't think it shows he had a damn good season so much as it shows the voters are swayed more by the name than the form.

I love Walshy and I think he's a VG Player when at his best, but this season he has been well below his usual form, and there would be a lot of players that are having better years.
Agreed. I think they may have got carried away by the stats, rather than what he was doing.

No, it's much more likely that people are looking at his recent poor form and that that is clouding their assessment of how he was playing in his first 11 games.

I'd do 1x first & future 2nd for Houston and a future 3rd. .
I'd be very happy with that deal, and if Houston ends up coming, I reckon it would end up something like that. The 2Ɨ 1sts is a starting position- the negotiation will change that. But we will have to give something to get something, and what we give will likely have to involve a 2024 first round pick.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we try to find a way to get another selection in the first round this year, even if it late. Trade one for Houston, and still have a pick to use before the Campo twins.

Current HBFs. Or similar....

Newman and Saad - both 30 plus. Saady seems to be copping a lot more injuries of late...

It makes sense imo.

Doc - never to be seen at HBF again - young'uns like Billy Wilson - who knows...

Cow - big tick, but really a 4th tall? And may well evolve into the midfield?

1724196011397.png

I'd be very happy with that deal, and if Houston ends up coming, I reckon it would end up something like that. The 2Ɨ 1sts is a starting position- the negotiation will change that. But we will have to give something to get something, and what we give will likely have to involve a 2024 first round pick.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we try to find a way to get another selection in the first round this year, even if it late. Trade one for Houston, and still have a pick to use before the Campo twins.
Would we throw Moir or C. Durdin into the deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houston is essentially competition for Newman and immediately gives Cowan someone else to learn from. Cowan is at present an amazing template; what I wouldn't give to get a Dane Rampe or Tom Stewart to show him what to do, where to stand, how and when to move or stop. Newman's a pretty decent alternative and while his kicking is good he also goes through phases of long down the line and little else; another person to take a breath and spot up the short 45 would be indispensable.

Haynes is boom-bust for me, having played every game of a 12 season career twice and more than 15 games 9 times. He is a player that would when available absolutely provide quality, but - knowing our ability to turn occasionally unavailable players into perrenially unavailable players - could spend more time on the sidelines than on the park. He'd want to be bringing in some stellar intangibles, because if he's not on the park he's 33 early next year and we still need another KPD.

Given up a first rounder and second rounder is way overs in my opinion given his age. Bailey Smith at 23 is looking at a mid first rounder to get a deal done. I'd prefer to target Miles Bergman.
Ports first pick is around 37 atm.

Would offer our R1 this year flat as our best offerā€¦ a mid first rounder is about right even contracted.

Probably not a controversial call, but Hoyne made a good point re exploring McKay at CHB. If Kemp can own a forward role, gives us the luxury of filling the need for an elite KPD from within.

Premiers have historically had two very strong KPDs. Not many have had needed two elite KPFs. Weitering and McKay could be the best defensive duo in the comp, and complement each other beautifully. Throw in McGovern or Haynes as the 3rd tall and we've got the makings of a premiership defence.

We've seen Curnow own that forward line without McKay. With Kemp, Williams, Moir, Owies, Motlop, Fogarty, a fit Durdin, Eli + potentially another thread through the draft, we've got enough options to put together a threatening forward line.

TDK is a target around the ground, and if O'Keefe comes we could start blooding him as a forward/ruck option.

Feel we're much more balanced with this approach. Easier to defend goals than it is to kick them, and we're leaving too many on the table with our leaky defence.

Our only small forward to prove durable and consistent i.e. do his job.

Yes, he'll never be Kysaiah Pickett, but:

2024 goals:

Pickett - 34 (12 assists)

Owies - 32 (14 assists).

To put him in some perspective:

View attachment 2086135
Owies has had a great season. Will finish in our top 10 in our B&F. Should be rewarded with a contract.

It's a fair article and I think they're right, we do need to keep hitting the draft before Tassie come in.

If we keep trading picks for 27 year olds, we may find the list ends up falling off right during the compromised drafts.

The logic around JSOS playing back is just common sense for various reasons. Sure, that (b/c his Dad did) isn't at the top of the list. But:
  • He has some of the best defensive capabilities and second-third efforts of anyone in our team
  • He's the perfect size and has good overall ability and footy IQ, having played in various positions
  • He has fallen out (pre-injury even, arguably) of locked best 22 spot up forward given the team has developed
  • We've had success turning even the most maligned player in Gov into a high-quality backman
  • It seems the rage these days to turn 'failed' forwards into excellent defenders to reasonable success
  • JSOS is a team player so would give it everything to make it work
  • It's worth trying before paying up to get an expensive KPD option given our list and salary situation
  • He already has excellent chemistry and connection with the team so would slot into the backs group easily
I'm 100% on board the JSOS in defense and Kemp up forward this offseason.

Second and third efforts sure, but that isn't applicable to defensive third only. So not sure why this is relevant to JSOS being in defence. Defensive pressure inside forward 50 is huge in the modern game.

He isn't the perfect size, he is 1.91m which would mean he would be the third tall at best and often find himself undersized. He would have to play intercept so would he take McGovern's spot? McGovern is probably a better user of the football and is quicker so not sure how this makes us better.

We have a best 22 medium forward spot availible due to Martin never being fit. If we can fit Mckay, Curnow and two rucks we can fit McKay, Curnow and JSOS.

Gov has very different attributes to JSOS, the main one being pace. McGovern is really quick off the mark.

If JSOS was closer to 200cm I would agree, fact is he isn't and we really don't have a burning need for medium defenders. We do have a need for a third tall forward who is consistent.

I don't think JSOS is a KPD defensive option, he isn't strong a big body that can wrestle and isn't tall.

I think we need to persist with L Young rather than throwing an undersized defender to the wolves as we have with Kemp this year.

the beauty with having a player like McKay is heā€™s a reliable mark.

Gives us the option to throw him forward back ruck and along the wing as a safe connection into f50.

When needed we should look to switch from bombing long to our twin towersā€¦.

When thatā€™s not working throw McKay back and kemp forward to play a more run spread and lower the eyes into f50 with forwards leading out.

Why we donā€™t do this much surprises me in some games.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back