Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here:-

Continued here:

Just like to thank Aphrodite and the other Carlton mods who started the Bluemours NON Discussion Thread and who have kept it free of chat over the past few years.

It helps so much when you just don't have the time to read through this thread, cheers and great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at it objectively it isn't such a bad idea. If they think the list is currently fairly even, then you are actually strengthening your future without losing anything currently. Let's say Wines is keen to go anyway at the end of his contract and Port know this, by trading him for 2 first rounders and bringing in B Crouch they haven't lost anything in their current window and allow themselves to have 2 cracks at getting some young A grade talent in. I think it's a brave move and a smart way of utilising free agency to strengthen your draft hand without losing anything in your current list.

The fact you think Brad Crouch and Wines are interchangeably like-for-like tells me you should sit down son. It only makes passable sense if you completely suspend all belief.

Only stuff of value. Can't remember the last time one of our key forwards kicked 60 goals in a season let alone for 3 years straight
Not having a go but poor old Ben seems a decent bloke, can play but is very very one dimensional. I know that it's a big if but there is no way he gets a game for us IF Charlie and Harry are up and running.

Cmon Tezza, dare to dream a little 😉
I do though agree, there are 17 other teams in the fight.
Sounds as though Saad and Graham are firming as the targets and it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.
Split pick 7 for Brisbane’s picks and that should satisfy * and Richmond.
It’s reported we have offered Graham 4 x 500k, that’s as good an offer as he will see and if he wins his second flag this year he might decide it’s time to feather his nest.
Saad is looking for a payday and it appears we are capable of accommodating him.
Next season is go time for Carlton, it’s been planned and budgeted for.
I’d still like to add a genuine small forward to the mix and I’d be happy to float O’Brien to Melbourne in exchange for Spargo.
Alternatively, Rosas from GC and Cameron from WC could be sounded out ...

Hey, every car full of drunks needs a sober designated driver.

I save my big, unfulfilled dreams for the real world getting better.

Williams is a big enough dream for this Carlton supporter. 1 more quality is the bonus. Honestly don't think we need more. 2 guaranteed quality and still have room to give the selected of our youth a fair crack at it next year. It is their time too.

People in the industry hear chatter, from a whole range of sources. All of them! At least qualify as rumours without implied ridicule of the deliverer. We accept rumours from lesser connected people. Let’s face it, most of us know nothing except what we see in the media and read in places like this. Having a strong relationship with a player is a reasonable “connection” to rely upon.

Ben Brown is a steal waiting to happen. Bloke kicked 180 goals in three years lol. Could we fit him in? Upgrade on Levi surely.
No, we are too tall already and he has less versatility than Levi. He is an old school lead up forward who can’t take a contested mark and can’t relieve in the ruck. Adds to congestion.

We need small help in the forward line, not another key post lumbering type.

My one and only reservation on Saad is Essendon and Dodo's asking price (if he nominates us)
If Saad wants out and publicly states as much, Dodo will have to get it done. Danaher is getting medicals done with Brissy at the moment. No chance of staying around so that genius move last year has already cost them 2 firsts. North or someone could offer longer or more cash but I don't think Essendon will be in a position to be as belligerent as last year.

I recall you weren't vehemently defending me at the time...in fact... quite the opposite...

I trusted a source that has given me some good info in the past. Newspaper articles run with info they get too... sometimes it pans out sometimes it doesn't... guess we didn't count on Shiel being such a dick head.

But you're kidding yourself if you think Soapy has any inside knowledge at all. Or do you reckon Austin gets on the phone to Lochie O'Brien with Soapy listening in?

If I felt you were being unfairly targeted I would pass comment in support

You have made multiple comments now regarding LOB and or Austin sharing information, not sure why that is but I find it poor.

Do you think it's possible that Soap may have formed other bonds with people at the club, that may provide him with some information?

Generally, I would agree with you Arrow but in this case for a start the poster didn't bring anything to this board, someone else brought it here quoting him. If Soapy wants to post his information on our rumours thread let him do it himself.

The issue with Soapy from my perspective wasn't whether all his rumours panned out or not, that just comes with the territory otherwise you may as well call it a fact file. My issue was that it was obvious in some instances that Soapy was presenting his opinion as fact and using that to attempt to invalidate other people's opinions or information.

Nah, just his writing style. Some people couldn't tell the difference between his info and his opinions.

No need for Viney, we've already got Philp.

Righto, I'm out.
As an understudy to Ed... feel free to be more condescending when you're being vastly less obtuse.

I'm sorry but that's an absolutely awful comparison. After 9 seasons Crouch has played 95 games. After 9 seasons Murphy had played 185 games
It's a question of timing. Murphy went down with a major shoulder injury in his first season. Then wound up with syndesmosis issues for 18 months in another stretch.

Your incredibly cherry-picked statistical comparison is irrelevant because they are two different people. I'm not going to push the point further, and I suggest you do the same unless you're about to post his medical reports and contract offers (including a full breakdown of salary, match payments and incentives) online, because you're talking out of your arse.

I'd rather play in traffic than listen to handwaving arguments from wannabe football managers.

Merret - Unlikely.
Saad - Doesn't fill the midfield issue.
GWS Midfield - Possible - Unless Taranto/Kelly have stated they want out they seem unlikey.
Bont - Yea goodluck with that.
Atley - Unproven at Elite level.
The point of shaking down some of these trees is that they will open up high-value opportunities, particularly at GWS.

Saad assists with our need for pace and overlap. He helps the situation more than Viney.

Ed isn't going to be around in 3 years unlike Viney.
Great, we've got an understudy to Ed, as well an enormous number of inside or inside-leaning midfield options. We need outside-leaning mids.

That ain't Viney.

We have bunch of unproven inside mids, there is no issue in getting Viney in and pushing the youth out for depth. If Dow, OBrien, Kennedy, Philip, Kemp and Stocker show better performance than Viney I agree, but they haven't. Get them in the VFL develop them and make Viney look redudant.
If we have a competent football department, Dow and Kemp will likely be in the mix for R1 next year. Dow apparently had knee issues, and they've been cautious with Kemp specifically for this reason. Viney is likely a waste of money in the context of our best 30 players. Geelong can have him.

Defensive application is what we are missing
Only in the sense of defensive work rate. We need faster and/or fitter players. From where I'm sitting, we've pushed 'fitter' to the nth degree, so pace with sufficient endurance (Saad) or pace with great endurance (Williams, O'Brien) better suits us than anything Viney can produce.

He's an undersized contested ball winner who sprays his disposal because he's easily pressured while disposing. Even when he gets a clean run at it, he doesn't do much with it.

People in the industry hear chatter, from a whole range of sources. All of them! At least qualify as rumours without implied ridicule of the deliverer. We accept rumours from lesser connected people. Let’s face it, most of us know nothing except what we see in the media and read in places like this. Having a strong relationship with a player is a reasonable “connection” to rely upon.
This
I would remind some posters here that this has been a season like no other. Austin certainly would not be feeding LOB, but aside from other contacts, many players would be more over discussions of movements. The majority of AFL players are still in or around their respective hubs. We had a post above of a Qld resident seeing some of the boys out and about. We know from previous reports that our captains and others, such as Eddie have been involved in discussions
with prospective trades. Do you not think that there would be an abnormal flow of info back and forward among the groups. Friendships from underage days
often remain, plenty are interacting, and plenty are privvy to degrees of info.

My one and only reservation on Saad is Essendon and Dodo's asking price (if he nominates us)

I think the urban legend of Dodoro being difficult to deal with at the trade table is becoming a little overstated

We need to remember that he has no leverage in the Saad situation. He is out of contract and can pick his suitor.

Dodoro for the first time in his career is also under intense scrutiny not just by the media landscape but the Essendon board, the new incoming president, and the powerful Essendonian coterie group who want to see change.

He can not afford to be ultra stubborn and dig his heels in to potentially lose Saad for nothing. That would be counter productive for a team in their ‘rebuilding’ position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, perhaps you could argue it is, but I think it's more up to the reader to realise that tone doesn't often come through by text on the internet, and to not get too shitty about it. Which quite a few here did.
No problem, written text can be difficult to decode, especially if it borders on a little personal. Stay Blue.

I think the urban legend of Dodoro being difficult to deal with at the trade table is becoming a little overstated

We need to remember that he has no leverage in the Saad situation. He is out of contract and can pick his suitor.

Dodoro for the first time in his career is also under intense scrutiny not just by the media landscape but the Essendon board, the new incoming president, and the powerful Essendonian coterie group who want to see change.

He can not afford to be ultra stubborn and dig his heels in to potentially lose Saad for nothing. That would be counter productive for a team in their ‘rebuilding’ position.
Yeah nah, I don't think that's gonna worry him all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back