Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Everyone moves on. Unbelievable.

Granted, the De Goey case seems to be a different kettle of fish, but the casual dismissal and (seemingly) condoning of his actions and no thought or consideration to his victim is just beyond the pail.

Regardless of the final verdict, it's still a bad look for the club to be pursuing anyone under suspicion of this kind of behaviour.

Yes he's talented but he's not a once in a generation player worth risking the entire clubs reputation on. If we miss him then we just look for other options this year or next that are equally as impactful.

Classic response.

Let the court take care of it, and leave the virtue signalling and shaming out of it.

You have no idea what has occurred, yet you’re more than happy to project into the mind and life circumstances of the accuser.
Thy's response is the exact response that Carlton Respects stands for and demands of each of us. It talks about all things that are outside the narrow sweep of law. Law is there for a purpose but it is only a small part of how we deal with life issues. And frankly wether a bloke can kick a footy is the very last part of the issue.

A have a mum and a partner. What’s your point? sh*t happens, and teenagers and messy and stupid. You don’t condemn someone for life.

In this particular instance it’s actually very unclear if an assault has actually been committed. From my understanding it was more about JDG’s tone than anything physical.

The guy apologised 2 years ago, the allegations are very flimsy, and it sounds like we’ve internally given him the all clear.

I’m all for promoting a positive culture, but bringing in JDG in 2020 does nothing to compromise that.

If you bring JDG into the club as the million dollar signing, you would want some assurance surrounding his off-field behaviour.

If things don't work out due to off-field issues, we'll be heading for a rebuild before we've even had a proper tilt at the flag.

We've already got up to $800k tied up in McGovern. Allocating another $1m for De Goey doesn't come without its risks.

We could end up having almost 20% of our salary cap tied up in two players who don't perform for one reason or another. It's enough to cripple a club.

Not saying don't go for him. I'm just saying be aware of the risks because they're definitely there.

If his off-field issues weren't present, there is absolutely no way Collingwood would let a player like De Goey leave. So just think about this from Collingwood's perspective to understand why they might entertain a trade.

My 2 cents on the JDG rumours. There are only two plausible reasons behind his supposed interest in the Club:
1. Those in the JDG camp are leaking false info to the media to maximise his next contract at Collingwood (most likely)
2. Collingwood genuinely believe his pending court case will bring about severe consequences and they are keen to capitalise before it is made public.

In all honesty, I can’t see any reason why JDG would be personally keen to join us unless he feels heavily shortchanged by Collingwood’s offer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

These are fair points.
Re point 1 - I was convinced that Saad was doing the exact same thing, playing up his intent to come to us as a ruse to secure the extra year and $$$ from *. As we all know, that was not the case at all. Not saying just because Saad’s interest was genuine that all subsequent cases will be as well, but it is proof that first impressions may not always be accurate.

There are two broad types of people.

Those who don't do things for fear of consequences.

And those who don't do things because they believe them wrong.

This thread is an excellent example of the dichotomy.

Oh and before we go innocence before guilt, JDG has a long history of irresponsible and selfish behaviour, regardless of the truth of the most serious allegations (which I believe are likely true).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But, changing the subject, does anyone know what's up with Liam Stocker. I had big hopes for him in 2020. Thanks for any news.

He left the hub to return back to Victoria a few weeks into the restart of the season for personal reasons. I don’t know the details but I hope he is in a good headspace for 2021. We want him out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see how Carton could recruit him and not be reputationally diminished in any way to a cross-section of members & supporters. Whatever about standing by your own player but importing baggage is something else. I agree with others above on the principle of bringing him in.

In a football sense, I don't think he's the best use of capital. We have two gun forwards, a crafty small, multiple 3rd tall options and a heap of younger possible small forwards.

One more hammerhead extractor getting it out to the speedy distributors on the outside will make any forward look great. Look at the Lions vs Richmond. I'd rather get a proven inside mid & then let the others slot into their natural roles.

We probably won't get Oliver but who cares if his kicking is rubbish so far (debatable anyway) Are people saying a bloke with AA & club B&F by 23 will not improve at all over the rest of his career?

I’d argue that Cripps’ kicking, even the time and space, is questionable. Doesn’t get a lot of penetration, our Patty.

Dominates everything else tho...

Lachie Neale worked on his leg strength so he was more damaging with his kicking. Cripps and SPS should be doing the same.

Be interesting to know JDG motivation for wanting to leave and why he wants to come to Carlton.. Obviously $ plays a key part but a player like JOrdan could get it from 15 other clubs..

I haven't seen anything from him stating he wants to leave.

IMO it's a media beat up & most likely leaked to drive up his contact at the Filth.

I have no idea where this message has originated, could be complete rubbish, but just got sent it by a mate, I assume it’s doing the rounds.

I really feel for AFL players having to put up with some of these rumours. Especially Smith who is only 19 years old. He's still only a teenager and has to put up with this rubbish.

It's not true. Trust me on this one. Whoever posted that is not a credible source of information.

So if he is found guilty, but doesn't serve time it's okay then?

Far from OK, but unfortunately it's nothing new.
Some money gets handed over, it's accepted and everyone......well we'd don't really know now, do we?

You know how silly it for us to even be speculating on what happened? We just don't know nor should pretend to know.
Why we're even discussing DeGoey is odd enough on is own.......but given all the other indiscretions, anyway......let's.....move on.

I said it was very unlikely to occur.

Okay, let's break this down

He may not have sexually assaulted a woman, but he may still have assaulted her in another form. Whether he is found guilty or not, doesn't diminish the charge.

If these allegations are salacious, I would be on the front foot, not waiting for a court case. Clearly, authorities believe he has something to answer

I haven't been a clean skin and I am sure some/many here may regret past indiscretions, but any assault against a woman is not okay, EVER

I don't want that type of person at our club, no matter how good a player

If you bring JDG into the club as the million dollar signing, you would want some assurance surrounding his off-field behaviour.

If things don't work out due to off-field issues, we'll be heading for a rebuild before we've even had a proper tilt at the flag.

We've already got up to $800k tied up in McGovern. Allocating another $1m for De Goey doesn't come without its risks.

We could end up having almost 20% of our salary cap tied up in two players who don't perform for one reason or another. It's enough to cripple a club.

Not saying don't go for him. I'm just saying be aware of the risks because they're definitely there.

If his off-field issues weren't present, there is absolutely no way Collingwood would let a player like De Goey leave. So just think about this from Collingwood's perspective to understand why they might entertain a trade.

It’s definitely worth considering, but there are other factors. Collingwood need cap space to bring Cameron in, and they’ve got a stacked midfield already.

It sounds like it’s JDG pushing for the move though, rather than Collingwood really wanting to give him up.

IIRC he’s OOC too, which takes away a lot of their bargaining power.

Some money gets handed over, it's accepted and everyone......well we'd don't really know now, do we?

You know how silly it for us to even be speculating on what happened? We just don't know nor should pretend to know.
Why we're even discussing DeGoey is odd enough on is own.......but given all the other indiscretions, anyway......let's.....move on.
This is a criminal case, not civil.

Victim would not be paid damages.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Perhaps we should keep our powder dry until after the court case, same as avoiding trading a player in, while matters are pending

It’s definitely worth considering, but there are other factors. Collingwood need cap space to bring Cameron in, and they’ve got a stacked midfield already.

It sounds like it’s JDG pushing for the move though, rather than Collingwood really wanting to give him up.

IIRC he’s OOC too, which takes away a lot of their bargaining power.

Cameron isn't leaving GWS and even if he was, De Goey wouldn't be the player you let go to make room in the salary cap. If Collingwood are letting him go, it's definitely due to his off-field issues.

Clubs don't want to deal with these off-field indiscretions. It's a distraction on so many levels.

Regardless of whether he's OOC or not, I'd still tread carefully. There's massive risks from a TPP perspective which could impact us moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back