2001pts

Bid comes in for JUH @
#1- 3000pts
- 999pts short
#18- 985pts equivalent

#2- 2517pts
- 516pts short
#35- 522pts eq
Is there a 20% discount for matching a bid for an academy player?
If short, isn’t it deducted from the equivalent pick next year? (Like Fremantle’s first round pick this year which falls after our pick)

Big Footy have implemented some weird code where if you mention a players full name you get some list of stats that's takes up huge real estate on the App that you have to scroll and scroll through. How annoying!

So until that is fixed can we all as a group agree to call players by their Cricket 04 Names.

I.e I'm really excited that Zach William is joining us and Adem Sadd

Or we can start calling the players by their nicknames. Burger, Nugget, Shrimp, “Oi, Pumpkin”. “Glad we never got Chooky Wingard”.

They cannot match zac and Jeremy. If they are matching Jeremy we are in the clear. And we are in the clear. End of story.
I have said numerous times they will not match Williams, but they could. Why would you match Williams when you're already getting maximum compo for him. Cameron you'll get two first's for so he's the one you match.

They cannot match zac and Jeremy. If they are matching Jeremy we are in the clear. And we are in the clear. End of story.

Maybe I am not thinking about this the right way but if GWS match Geelong for Cameron and they make a trade with Geelong for Cameron, GWS aren’t actually playing Cameron any money. So can’t they technically turn around and match Williams?

Lions have Andrews, McStay, Gardiner, Payne, Ballenden

Cats Henderson, Taylor, Kolo, Blicavs, SDK, Stanley

We are thin, very thin

Hang on...

So you demand that people leave Marchbank (193cm) and Plowman (193cm) out of discussions about potential tall defensive stocks.

But will happily throw Gardiner (193cm) and Kolodjashnij (193cm) in when it suits you?

I'd also suggest that if Geelong have to turn to SDK in 2021, or Brisbane to Ballanden, to take on a Charlie Dixon or Tom Lynch or Harry McKay...that the forwards listed would have an absolute feast. Which is my point. Those clubs have no greater depth in players capable of taking the game's bigger forwards than we do.

So either draft a KPD for down the line, or park it and reassess it as an area of need at the end of next year when we've given Macreadie and Marchbank another 12 months to (hopefully) build some continuity. If they can't, go after a quality KPD from elsewhere. If they can, then maybe it's not something we need to invest in.

Maybe I am not thinking about this the right way but if GWS match Geelong for Cameron and they make a trade with Geelong for Cameron, GWS aren’t actually playing Cameron any money. So can’t they technically turn around and match Williams?
I don't believe so. They have to play thier hand for both during free agency period. GWS will play it like Greek freek suggests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point was they can't afford to match both. Matching Jeremy makes the most sense.
No they can't afford to match both realistically. My initial post was responding to someone saying they couldn't match our deal no matter what, but they could. They just won't.
Also worth thinking about is the fact they know Geelong will trade for Cameron, so matching the offer isn't really costing them anything as they know he's not staying anyway. So they could also technically then match Williams as well, again knowing they won't have to actually spend the money anyway.

But I reiterate that they almost certainly will not match Williams.

Unfortunately doesn't work that way

They'd make themselves look like dead set idiots if they did...

Let's not forget, they are the ones who got on their high horse and said "If you don't want to be here, then ship off" or something along those lines...

A club has never matched a FA bid, if the player signals his intentions to leave then they will leave, no club will hang onto them.

Furthermore, they will receive pick #8 for him as compo, what could they possibly hope to get from us that will be better than that?

If anything, they'd match the bid for Cameron and look to get hold of the Cat's first rounders.

Hang on...

So you demand that people leave Marchbank (193cm) and Plowman (193cm) out of discussions about potential tall defensive stocks.

But will happily throw Gardiner (193cm) and Kolodjashnij (193cm) in when it suits you?

I'd also suggest that if Geelong have to turn to SDK in 2021, or Brisbane to Ballanden, to take on a Charlie Dixon or Tom Lynch or Harry McKay...that the forwards listed would have an absolute feast. Which is my point. Those clubs have no greater depth in players capable of taking the game's bigger forwards than we do.

So either draft a KPD for down the line, or park it and reassess it as an area of need at the end of next year when we've given Macreadie and Marchbank another 12 months to (hopefully) build some continuity. If they can't, go after a quality KPD from elsewhere. If they can, then maybe it's not something we need to invest in.

Hendo and Taylor are nearly done playing. Probably Taylor's last year imo...

No they can't afford to match both realistically. My initial post was responding to someone saying they couldn't match our deal no matter what, but they could. They just won't.
Also worth thinking about is the fact they know Geelong will trade for Cameron, so matching the offer isn't really costing them anything as they know he's not staying anyway. So they could also technically then match Williams as well, again knowing they won't have to actually spend the money anyway.
They would have to show they could afford both. They cant bluff it.

I have said numerous times they will not match Williams, but they could. Why would you match Williams when you're already getting maximum compo for him. Cameron you'll get two first's for so he's the one you match.

Definitely matching Cameron as they want players not just picks.

"Orazio Fantasia has nominated Port Adelaide as his preferred destination, per
9 News Adelaide
Port officials are expected to meet with Fantasia in the coming week"

Guess Dodo will be asking for Wines and a first if Port are lucky...

That will be some forward line if they can all stay on the park at once.

Definitely matching Cameron as they want players not just picks.
Yeah exactly, they'll ask for Jordan Clark and a first or something like that.

Hang on...

It's not just about height, it's about their size/shape, athleticism (pace, leap), strength, ability to play body-to-body as well as go with a leading player (and being able to read that play coming). Wingspan and how solid they are, provided they can actually play 1v1 and go with leads, are probably much better indicators than height alone.

Some smaller types can play bigger, Jonas at 188 is an example, but even then you probably want to avoid him being caught 1-1 in the square with someone much taller than him and no defensive support to come in and help.

I mean, Lukosius (who spent a lot of time at halfback this year) is taller than all the player mentioned but no way is he winning a 1-on-1 against a taller forward worth his salt. Plow is 193 but really is more suited to smaller/mid-sized opponents. Grimes can play tall but they really want him on a mid sizer or even a small like Cameron and will opt for that matchup where possible.

It works both ways; Membrey is only 188 but we're not going to want to play Willo on him, even though the height matchup is favourable. If you believe the CFC app, Jack is 194 but he sure as hell ain't no key position player... as far as I see it he's not even a 3rd tall, he's a flanker who happens to have some height on him.

Height ain't everything. It's like saying Heppell should be *'s 'big bodied inside mid' because he's so much taller than Merrett, Shiel, McGrath, Parish, Smith, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back