Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kennedy is still a good player. I think there’s a place for him. Sometime I think young mids get labelled too much and just because they dominate in the 18’s we expect the same in the big game. Paul Ahern at NM is a prime example. Couldn’t get a game in their midfield for some reason, but they played him off HB and he had two great games, then fell out when their regular HBF came back. Bit like JSOS and Bam Bam, where’s their best spot? I’d take Constable myself as a big mid, reckon Brodie is a better hybrid option than a couple we have, know little of Blakely.

Each of the aforementioned have reasons to not be favoured, if one is to believe what some posters on their boards say -

Brodie - Character Issues.
Constable - No tank and not a great trainer.
Blakely - Apparently did things his team-mates didn't like.

I wouldn't...and we're not...going to take any of them. We'll see but maybe no one wants them, although if I was North I'd look at Constable.
I would cost them nothing and they haven't many players left, along with Cunnington having injury concerns with only a couple of years left.

Each of the aforementioned have reasons to not be favoured, if one is to believe what some posters on their boards say -

I wouldn't...and we're not...going to take any of them. We'll see but maybe no one wants them, although if I was North I'd look at Constable.
I would cost them nothing and they haven't many players left, along with Cunnington having injury concerns with only a couple of years left.
Yeah, agree then.
I put it in the LM thread, but speaking of NM, I still think Polec for 300-400 is a great option on the left wing. No he doesn’t play both directions but he is that outlet we need to stop those 5-10 goal bursts. After getting torched in the 1st Q by Crippa this year, he went outside and ended up with 2 votes. He can play still and North would pay some.

Nah, Saad has stated publicly that he only wants to play for Carlton and is willing to walk to the PSD to get it done. You need to look at it from a business perspective for potential buyers. Saad is straight up refusing to do medicals or pick up the phone to anyone other than Carlton, without a medical - the business (AFL Club) won't allow for List Management to pick a player up. You can't risk spending north of $600k a year on a resource that you know little about.

You don't think that Hawthorn (given their familiarity with Russell) wouldn't consider our medical as sufficient?

As for not talking to other clubs, there's plenty of time for the Hawks to open a reasonable dialogue.

Hope you're right if he goes to the PSD but my fingers will be crossed on that day.

Nah, Saad has stated publicly that he only wants to play for Carlton and is willing to walk to the PSD to get it done. You need to look at it from a business perspective for potential buyers. Saad is straight up refusing to do medicals or pick up the phone to anyone other than Carlton, without a medical - the business (AFL Club) won't allow for List Management to pick a player up. You can't risk spending north of $600k a year on a resource that you know little about.

I do think there's merit in a side picking him up for a year.

Take Hawthorn for example. They know Russell, and he would presumably have been involved in the medical assessments of players they targeted over the years. Not a stretch that they would say "Well, if Russell has given him the all clear, we trust that."

Pick Saad up, tell him that you reckon he could have an enjoyable, fulfilling and successful career with the Hawks. All they ask is that he plays out 2021 to the best of his ability. If at the end of that time he still wants out, they'll trade him for a 2nd rounder to get it done. But they'd also be happy for him to stay if he ends up enjoying his time there.

There's a slim risk that he refuses to play, point blank. But I doubt that would happen (more likely if there were interstate moves involved). The upside for Hawthorn is either a good player for free, or effectively trading a PSD pick for a future second (and 12 months service out of a good player).

There's potentially repercussions from a trading/relationship standpoint. Not sure how deep the "gentleman's agreement" runs in regards to the PSD. But if a club was ballsy enough they could certainly pinch themselves a nice little freebie.

If it was this straight forward then no one would ever give up anything in a trade.

I like how the trade period is scheduled. A few days at the beginning for bluffs and posturing. A weekend to soak it in, reach reality and make some confidential phone calls, then the final countdown to Thursday with the pressure rising each day. And you can ride it all the way on Carlton bigfooty as the ITK releases cryptic messages.

I've stated this before, I'll state it once more - I know Saad's cousin. He becomes a blue this year - that's all there is to it.

The most likely outcome, for sure.

Hypothetically though, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a club may pick him up before us in the PSD if it went that route. The club would need to be supremely confident or desperate though.

To make everyone here (especially TODN) feel old, I was 2 when TODN joined Big Footy.

I legitimately have no recollection of what I was doing at the time.

You were just ATinyNuDoofus back then...

I've stated this before, I'll state it once more - I know Saad's cousin. He becomes a blue this year - that's all there is to it.

I know different times, different person but Nick Stevens had knocked us back in favour of Collingwood. Unfortunately I don't think it's over til the fat lady sings.

You don't think that Hawthorn (given their familiarity with Russell) wouldn't consider our medical as sufficient?

As for not talking to other clubs, there's plenty of time for the Hawks to open a reasonable dialogue.

Hope you're right if he goes to the PSD but my fingers will be crossed on that day.
The issue with not doing a medical is not so much flying blind, like you mentioned re Russell and Hawthorn but it is more on the liability side of things. If he breaks down and goes after the club for mismanagement of his health, first port of call is what did his medical say upon signing of his contract. Club says didn't do one. Club does not have a leg to stand on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DoDo still being unreasonable, bypassing and only prepared to communicate with certain people. Doesn't mind reminding everyone how long he has been doing it for.

The respective parties are catching up today, should know more this afternoon.

Understand JSOS is not on the table for Saad deal.

The issue with not doing a medical is not so much flying blind, like you mentioned re Russell and Hawthorn but it is more on the liability side of things. If he breaks down and goes after the club for mismanagement of his health, first port of call is what did his medical say upon signing of his contract. Club says didn't do one. Club does not have a leg to stand on.

A good point but wouldn't they do one as a matter of course if he signed with them?

Was a good site and then one day Synbad got upset by them making money out of advertising and it blew up.

I think he got more into the Blueseum, which is just an unbelievable resource. Still think we could do so much more with that especially with an actual museum at Princes Park where the 2 complement each other.

Or was that Carlton Supporters Club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Did the CSC have that scrolling thread barrel? I'd get nauseaus even before reading the content.

So Cornes and Lloyd reckon a club will take Saad in the ND before the teens...

Say Norf, GWS, Cats etc would do it...

Also saying Joe Biden is not necessarily US President-elect . . .

and that no COVID-19 vaccine actually works (including Pfizer and Astra Zeneca) . . .

Yeah Kano, yeah Lordo,

Party time, excellent . . .

E83F4EA2-8D67-4290-B9BD-B4A03C1A817D.jpeg

Last edited:
I know different times, different person but Nick Stevens had knocked us back in favour of Collingwood. Unfortunately I don't think it's over til the fat lady sings.
Very different era mate. that will never happen again now that the players hold the power. It'd be nothing for a player (ie:Saad) to file a restraint of trade argument against say * (or any other team) if they picked him up in the PSD. On top of them having to spend $650K Plus on a player that won't talk to them. Anyone who is concerned about him not making it to us in the PSD needn't worry - those days are gone.

I am sure his cousin has the pull to get this done.

Nobody is doubting that is only preference is to be a blue, but if he does end up in the
PSD he will have to go wherever he is taken.

What are the knocks on Brodie? I thought he was pretty dedicated.

We’re going down a rabbit hole here but In theory they could do the medical after the draft but before he signs the contract.. couldn’t they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back