Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew there would be one just couldn't think who, goes without saying our drafting with late picks has been ordinary
No doubt but, the focus has been on an abundance of early picks to get high end talent through the door. Now it’s on finding mature players for need. Thus Saad and to a lesser extent, Fogarty (not sold on that one yet, happy to be proven wrong).

We don't need to trade LOB to gain Hewett

From a list management perspective with the cuts, we potentially might have to.

As a previous poster said, LOB is now well and truly surplus to needs. An established inside mid with tagging credentials we'll be screaming for soon enough. If Hewett is there and there's mutual interest in O'Brien, we'd be foolish not to entertain.

How would you know how much cash we have?

If we had this strategy year after year, then I would have concerns, but this is our first true splurge
I don't but Lloyd seems to believe we are fresh out and I am inclined to believe it given we know Williams is on minimum 800k to trigger band 1 compo and Saad was offered 650k by Essendon and we beat that.

My concern was we have gone too early and for the wrong parts. Last year going for a mid/small forward was a better help to our team then 2 hbfs, our trouble this year was mostly disposal going forward and our ability to hit the scoreboard we defended well enough.

I feel like we should have waited until we were at least playing finals before loading up to make that final jump, none of Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn spent millions chasing players from other clubs when they hadn't played finals.

No doubt but, the focus has been on an abundance of early picks to get high end talent through the door. Now it’s on finding mature players for need. Thus Saad and to a lesser extent, Fogarty (not sold on that one yet, happy to be proven wrong).
At least Fogarty cost basically nothing, the risk was/is Saad

Whitfield goes alright. Houli and Short with 3 of the last 4 runner ups for the norm Smith with the latter being a BandF winner in a premiership year, JJ winning a Norm one year before Houli got his first runners up. I think some are seriously underrating the role HB’s are playing
Exactly mate, I thought of each of those names but felt Hodge was the most influential of the lot.

That’s a shame- I didn’t think it was that hard.

. . . the either/or ultimatum from Matty is black and white.

We’re not black and white (Navy Blue).

Sometimes things are cryptic or grey.

There’s an old story of a positive person who only receives horse manure as a gift but is ever optimistic- Hoping it will lead to a horse (surely, he/she/they think).

I’m on a chair. You want a bag of a chair? WTF?

Don’t worry I did get what you implied.
Surely it has to be Treloar?? 🤔

Are you sure about that!

Yes Aph a pick in the late 40s is almost worthless and only really traded to move players for nothing or to appease the people at home when the media says well that values him at pick 15 which is fair. We will get nothing of note out of that pick 48 and in 2 years time when that player is gone it will be just Saad for Pick 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same reason as why we have all of the melts on here. We could not guarantee getting Saad in the ND or the PSD with all of the players with picks before us. The bullsh1t that no one will take him without a medical is just that. We had to broker a deal. Like most I believe a second rounder back would be fairer, but it is what it is. Deal not spectacular, but not disgusting.

The bottom line is we will be a better team, we have gone beyond the draft reliance where high picks are paramount. Barring a “marlin” through free agency or rage defection it will be incremental from here. Our TPP will be strained and must be carefully managed and our list changes will be minimal.

We will take two picks in the draft, probably a ruck and a forward. The other read is that we are comfortable where we are at with KPD back up. I read this as someone is coming out of contract next year we have already on the hook.
Young King Jr...

1. LOB has played 35 games as an undersized mid in his first two seasons, and due to covid hasn't had a run of it in his third year.
2. Players take time to work their way into the system and punch out some strong performances. Not everyone is Matt Rowell or Sam Walsh. Having said that, LOB has still shown he has what it takes to make it at the top level.
3. If you're a supporter of the Carlton Football Club, have some respect. There is no need to refer to young players as spuds. You're not cool for lambasting him, or others, if anything it shows your character, or lack thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best part of finishing trade week a day early is we get a full 24 hours of melts in here prior to the finish. We could have picked up Oliver for 2 firsts and a pick swap of seconds and there’d still be a grade melts in here. Reckon you all should start emailing the club with your trade demands for next year cos you know Austin needs direction

Didn't we pick up Williams to play in the midfield and help Cripps. Don't we have Kemp and Stocker as bigger bodies to help in the midfield.

Which midfield bull that has been available to get during trade week that we missed?

And Setterfield will have got his body through another preseason as well.
Plus, we need to rest Cripps more next year as well, and play him forward.

From a list management perspective with the cuts, we potentially might have to.

As a previous poster said, LOB is now well and truly surplus to needs. An established inside mid with tagging credentials we'll be screaming for soon enough. If Hewett is there and there's mutual interest in O'Brien, we'd be foolish not to entertain.

There are others that we have surplus

Can't see LOB leaving this year

I disliked this for the way you started, that's a terrible way to refer to one of our own. There's better ways to make an argument.
Sorry , writing isn't my forte. I just write it as I see it. Of course many will disagree. I'm fine with that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Geez Geelong going all out.

30 is actually relatively steep given Higgins will only play for 2 more years.
Traded out likes of Fogarty/Cockatoo and brought in I Smith & S Higgins. Jack Steven last year.

They'd want to win a premiership in the next 2 years for this to pay off while Hawkins/Selwood are still around. They do have a pretty scary team on paper though...made a GF and will be adding J Cameron, I Smith & S Higgins while losing G Ablett & H Taylor.

Taylor leaves a big hole down back. I'm surprised they haven't tried to fill that hole, and they still haven't got a real bone fide ruckman either.

I knew there would be one just couldn't think who, goes without saying our drafting with late picks has been ordinary
Hence why we got Austin who was at Richmond when they got all there good late and rookie picks, if your not happy fair enough but we hardly got robbed with the Saad and Fogarty trades and as others said they were pretty much done together as an overall package not in isolation so shouldn’t be viewed as such.

8, 30, 51, 87 before trade
—-38, 48, 78 Saad and Fogarty

So we gave up 8 and a 8 place downgrade on 30 but gained places on our other 2 picks, Austin did fine and we got Williams as a FA. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back