Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The board and Luke copped a fair bit of flack from the media because they didn't do things in the time frame that the media wanted them to.

What do you know, they took their time and did the coaching panel properly and appear to have done an excellent job doing it.

Then, as a club, we have gone out and hit all of our recruiting targets. Tick.

I think I'd prefer a president with a bit of passion for his job and a bit of a "stuck it right up em" attitude as opposed to a mild mannered accountant approach.

Yes you can go over the top in your jingoism, but this doesn't.

Couldn't agree more with this.

For over twenty years we have been whipped, kicked and humiliated.

Up until 'about' 5 years ago, our recruiting had been average as our board and management continually put masking tape on fault lines. Poor coaching appointments, poor list management with cheap top up players and shitty marketing slogans.

Time after time we have had to watch 10+ goal thumpings and just take it on the chin, whilst our kids LITERALLY cried.

Then SOS came in to rebuild our list and people either saw him as a saviour or a chump. They can bag him all they like, because outside of Cripps (thanks Hughes) he has brought in some serious talent and and a completely new spine to build on. Yes, there were some fails but shit, we were starting from ground zero.

Life after the appointment SOS has been interesting but not very pretty. Teague was a train-wreck and the process of his signing proves why the Logies are a joke. Peoples choice awards are just that, popularity contests. We watched our very talented list look confused and often cough up leads like Garfield. Opposition supporters were yet again given radio time to spout: 'You are a rabble', 'Soft', 'I feel sorry for Carlton' banter and yet again we had to take it on the chin. Embarrassing.

Only in the past few months, the media has twisted the knife. 'The board is a mess', 'Teague was treated unfairly', 'The list is a joke' ,etc. In that time, Sayers had wiped out the cancerous people on the board, appointed a World Class CEO, appointed a Triple Premiership Brownlow Medallist who has failed as a coach, the had the courage to do a 7 year sabbatical at Port Adelaide to hone his craft. Voss is hungry and he is ready. These are all great appointments and performed in a transparent process which made all involved accountable.

Finally, Austin has improved the list and made some hard calls at the trade table. Yeah it is sad that we lost SPS but shit, he hasn't exactly put his back into it and probably played out of position but we cant change the past. Why cant people see the IMMENSE positives? We now have a 'hard as a cats head' midfielder in Hewitt. A classy 22 year mid that will automatically improve our ball movement and play for over a decade and 201cm youthful KPP. How the hell is this not good? Its bloody great!

So, like it or not, Sayers showing signs of life and being a bit emotional is a great sign. Im bloody rapt!

So to all you neg-heads, go and follow another club. We have been through too much to give up now and it is time to turn on the after burners at take on this battle, head first!

Carn the Blues!

TA

Not going to be popular here, given that many see Sayers as having mastered the walk on water trick, but I find this a tad cringeworthy and the second time I've seen this "destination club" intro.

Prefer to see him settle into this job rather than "troll opposition supporters" from the get go. I'm a passionate supporter but I would not be declaring this so early in the piece given our recent history. Regardless of destination club status we have a way to go before we prove worthy of that tag.

I've said before and will say it again we have handled this whole issue very badly in my opinion, I did not want Voss and I also believe that his appointment has zero to do with being a destination club, I reckon he was a fair way from the top of our hit list when we sacked Teague.

I am, however, very bullish about our future given our best trade period since Judd and we have, IMO, set things up to such an extent that Voss has far more chance of succeeding than Teague ever had with a board that has pinned their colours to him and a list improvement that is, on face value, exceptional. Anything other than well into finals will be disappointing to me.

I can happily do without tweets like this though, they just look a bit juvenile for mine.
It's a leadership strategy. He's projecting an attitude he wants to take place in the club. That arrogance that all great sports teams have that's not really arrogance but just really strong self belief. This guy knows culture comes from the top, he's heavily involved and talking with Cook, a culture expert, it will all be part of the strategy they're trying to put in to drive the club upwards.

Shaping up to be a Treloar scenario

Treloar-esque fire sale incoming. The damage is done. Those three players will be filthy.

franco-cozzo-sale.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No trading next years first round pick.

Not even to get into the first round this year. This year is going to be a sh*t shoot. Let's try our luck with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Save next years first for the draft or trade needs.

Austin and team can sit back now and chill for the rest of trade period. If an absolute bargain pops up, sure let's look at it, but no need for any big moves from here.

Agreed...would like to see how we go under our new coaches, see if the likes of Dow develop.

After a year, we can identify our list gaps more clearly and have capital to address them.

Only if we get an opportunity for a bargain would I consider it, like Ben Brown and Treloar going for unders last year.

Hawks are dreaming - Trading first rounders for FA aged players is poor list management. Especially with mids that aren't that hard to find.

Guess it worked with May but giving up Ben King was a massive gamble and the Dees may have been better with King and Frost (he came top 5 in the Hawks B&F and had a great year).

O'Meara the only one you would want from any of the supposedly 'available' Hawks. Would compliment Cripps, Walsh, Cerra & Dow beautifully. All of a sudden we have an AFL Top 5 midfield.
If we could upgrade our #25 to somewhere around #17-#20 you would think it be close?
O'Meara from GC maybe not now. He is nothing special at all.

Hope we get back into the first round and DRAFT somebody.

I'd trade a future second for Wingard. We need more proven small forwards.

Wouldn’t be against that, plays most of next season as a 28 year old. Is definitely something we don’t have. He is more than just a “small” forward. Would complement CC, McKay and a 3rd tall really, really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top 10 pick for players who are going to be 28yo Jaeger & 29yo Tom next year...
No way would a club pay that, not sure a club would pay a top 10 pick for a package for them both

I'd offer
  • Take your pick with one of Dow, Fisher, Fogarty, McGovern, Plowman, Williamson, Setterfield + picks to even it out
Agree with you on trying to move any of the players you mentioned, we should at least test the market response this year, because if any of the players are un contracted next year we’ll get zilch value in 2022. Just take SPS as an example once their an OOC our player, worthless.

Sam 'The Forgotten Man' Philp is looking in ridiculously good shape on Nic Newman's instagram post #pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back