Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot take:

We deserved the salary cap punishment.

We cheated, we lied about cheating, we would have kept cheating.

Jack Elliot and his merry mob brought our club to its knees through hubris.

Smorgon failed us for his own benefit.

Richard Pratt didn't save our club so much as prolong our suffering, buying a saviour and entrenching a board culture which has plagued us until at least this year.

We have been run by a parade of corporate blowhards. We have been cursed by their boys club mentality, their arrogance and their embarrassing self-confidence that they know best.

We have been mired in misery because the people that run this club think they can buy success, can buy our loyalty and can buy the prestige of association.

The Carlton Football Club is all of us, the charlatans who have led us have simply held us back.

Tell me why I'm wrong

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was the extent of the punishment that was problematic. We were effectively excluded from first (and maybe second) rounds of the draft. Also the fine was unprecedented and has never been surpassed.

If you compare that to Essendon's punishment, they were allowed to trade back into the draft. Huge difference.

It was the extent of the punishment that was problematic. We were effectively excluded from first (and maybe second) rounds of the draft. Also the fine was unprecedented and has never been surpassed.

If you compare that to Essendon's punishment, they were allowed to trade back into the draft. Huge difference.
No club will be hit like that again. They did it to break us, and break us they did.

No club will be hit like that again. They did it to break us, and break us they did.
We were probably the only club in the league that could have survived that type of penalty at that time. AD wanted to make a name for himself and made us his vehicle for that. When 17 is won we need to make sure he gets an appropriate message.

We were probably the only club in the league that could have survived that type of penalty at that time. AD wanted to make a name for himself and made us his vehicle for that. When 17 is won we need to make sure he gets an appropriate message.
please.....

no they didn't
Your memory of it is better than mine. I was 11-12. I can remember how passionate about football my father was before it, and the fire had gone out after it. I can remember the amount of kids who suddenly declined to admit they were Carlton fans, after watching me getting booed by adults.

People bemoan from time to time here the loss of old Carlton from a wins/losses perspective. I think we lost something then, something ineffable. I remember it feeling different when I was younger to the Carlton we are now.

Breaking isn't broken. We're different, less proud because we've no reason to be. We're strugglers. What we were is not what we are. They intended to break us, and they succeeded, but we're not gone. We're just other than we were.

Your memory of it is better than mine. I was 11-12. I can remember how passionate about football my father was before it, and the fire had gone out after it. I can remember the amount of kids who suddenly declined to admit they were Carlton fans, after watching me getting booed by adults.

People bemoan from time to time here the loss of old Carlton from a wins/losses perspective. I think we lost something then, something ineffable. I remember it feeling different when I was younger to the Carlton we are now.

Breaking isn't broken. We're different, less proud because we've no reason to be. We're strugglers. What we were is not what we are. They intended to break us, and they succeeded, but we're not gone. We're just other than we were.
They did do it to 'break' Carlton, but not to break Carlton because of Carlton hate but because the AFL as a body was really struggling to get clubs, many of them, to respect the cap. They found that one of the biggest clubs had breached it by more than anyone else, why not smack them and use it as a warning to get all the other teams tostop as well?

The afl clearly operates with an eye on the bottom line, Carlton probably was seen as being able to bounce back. I doubt anyone predicted we'd continue to 'self destruct' for 10-15 years afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elliott had built a house of cards - all it took was a an ex Norfs player backed by an ex Essendon President to blow it all down with a fine and a couple of years of no draft picks.

None of that is excuse for 20 years of nuffery - those 2 years of no draft picks were followed by years of high draft picks and teh ignonimity of so called 'wooden spoons' - no focus on developing football players. Those were the years where the Club lost its mojo - if you dont care about developing the future- guess what?

It has taken over 20 years for the CLub to figure out that the way you build sustainable relevance is through the draft and through development of young players - we are in the second year of having our own VFL team and that has been compromised by COVID.

When the VFL team is winning flags- that is when we can all feel justifiably confident.

I hope this is the last year that Carlton has to pay up for young players - because our own developed young players aren't up to it meaning both draft selection and development has been (once again) shown to be below standard.

They did do it to 'break' Carlton, but not to break Carlton because of Carlton hate but because the AFL as a body was really struggling to get clubs, many of them, to respect the cap. They found that one of the biggest clubs had breached it by more than anyone else, why not smack them and use it as a warning to get all the other teams tostop as well?

The afl clearly operates with an eye on the bottom line, Carlton probably was seen as being able to bounce back. I doubt anyone predicted we'd continue to 'self destruct' for 10-15 years afterwards.
The AFL has had an agenda against us for a while now ..... it changes the rules to suit the scum and hinder us whenever it can .... great examples were changing no. of games to qualify for father son so we missed out on Mathew Lyodd, screwing us with the salary cap whilst hitting the scum with a feather duster, protecting the scum and making them oh so brave after the biggest drug scandal in Australian sport (truly pathetic how even today they still gloss over it and make the club the victim), reports in trade week to give at least pick 8 for Saad with Dodo, our compensation picks using their dodgy secret formula, our "free picks" along with GC a few years back when we finished below GC and only got an extra couple of picks but not in the ND then low and behold the following year giving GC the ND treasure chest .... the list goes on and on unfortunately.

It's pretty bloody evident and bloody tiring to see over and over again.

I suppose that is why success will be so much sweeter this time around and Inam just so grateful that we finally look to have everything in place for a sustained run of it .... fingers crossed.

To have blockbuster power again in the AFL will just be manna from the gods!

AFL commission are a bunch of corrupt scum loving pricks

No-one is trying to say that Luke Hodge is one of the best players in history...
Luke Hodge never turned a GF like Dusty has or was as influential. I'm not a massive Dusty fan by a long shot but those 3/4 peak years of his were very dominant. I put him in that tier 2 simply because he has won three norm smiths and has turned a GF off his own play. Does that put him there? I can understand that some would disagree .... but as the ultimate big game player .... 3 best on grounds in the GFs with three premiership medals is hard to disagree with.

thus I repeat, they didn't break us - we ultimately changed because we were forced to - the accc are recommending a $90M fine be laid on trivago for breaking commercial laws - they'll advertise differently as a result of it - a $20k fine wasn't going to stop elliot cheating, geth........

ick 8 for Saad with Dodo, our compensation picks using their dodgy secret formula, our "free picks" along with GC a few years back when

[/QUOTE]
The AFL has had an agenda against us for a while now ..... it changes the rules to suit the scum and hinder us whenever it can .... great examples were changing no. of games to qualify for father son so we missed out on Mathew Lyodd, screwing us with the salary cap whilst hitting the scum with a feather duster, protecting the scum and making them oh so brave after the biggest drug scandal in Australian sport (truly pathetic how even today they still gloss over it and make the club the victim), reports in trade week to give at least pick 8 for Saad with Dodo, our compensation picks using their dodgy secret formula, our "free picks" along with GC a few years back when we finished below GC and only got an extra couple of picks but not in the ND then low and behold the following year giving GC the ND treasure chest .... the list goes on and on unfortunately.

I suppose that is why success will be so much sweeter this time around and Inam just so grateful that we finally look to have everything in place for a sustained run of it .... fingers crossed.

I am sure that it is just a coincidence that the AFL decided to approve payments outside the salary cap to allow GWS to keep Coniglio and stop our recruitment. Another coincidence is the recruiting of Clarkson to work for the Tassie team that put a stop to us securing him as coach.
But how ironic is it that AFL used Andrew Walkers mark to promote the game during the lead up to the season after he was denied mark of the year due to AFL appointing an anti- Carlton judge for the award.

My overriding question to this, is why do people believe the AFL have it in for us?

Levi Casboult will be selected by Gold Coast in November‘s rookie draft as the club adds more key position depth to its list.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the Suns will commit to the 31-year-old, who played 154 games and kicked 156 goals for Carlton
The only potential roadblock is if a rival club makes a play for Casboult as a delisted free agent in the meantime, though sources said this scenario is highly unlikely.

Elliott had built a house of cards - all it took was a an ex Norfs player backed by an ex Essendon President to blow it all down with a fine and a couple of years of no draft picks.

None of that is excuse for 20 years of nuffery - those 2 years of no draft picks were followed by years of high draft picks and teh ignonimity of so called 'wooden spoons' - no focus on developing football players. Those were the years where the Club lost its mojo - if you dont care about developing the future- guess what?

It has taken over 20 years for the CLub to figure out that the way you build sustainable relevance is through the draft and through development of young players - we are in the second year of having our own VFL team and that has been compromised by COVID.

When the VFL team is winning flags- that is when we can all feel justifiably confident.

I hope this is the last year that Carlton has to pay up for young players - because our own developed young players aren't up to it meaning both draft selection and development has been (once again) shown to be below standard.

Really.....what a silly point of view. And tell me what 'they' would have done to break us if we hadn't broken the rules.
The whole notion of them against us is a myth.
And don't use the argument everyone else was doing it.

stopped reading here

Well said. The seeds of our current malaise were planted well before the salary cap fiasco.

The Elliott-led administration of the 90s refused to adapt to the new playing field. Carlton wanted to do things the way Carlton always did things, and stuff the rest of the competition. And for a while it worked, bringing us a flag in '95, with one of the best sides the comp has seen. But clubs like Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn now searched for new ways to succeed in a new competition - now national; players now fully professional; the draft acting as a leveler; focus on large stadiums and a significant jump in TV revenue; players now having a significantly stronger hand. Carlton held on to Princes Park long after rival clubs had conglomerated to the 'G and the new Docklands stadium; by the time we made the inevitable move, the other major clubs had the better of the deals, and we'd wasted a fortune on a white elephant stadium. Where other teams began investing in scouting and development of young talent, we ignored the draft, preferring to attract seasoned players to bolster our side with open cheque-books to attract the best. Where other clubs began working on developing strong club cultures to become 'destination' clubs, at Carlton, players were treated like cattle - should feel 'priveleged' to play for the Blues, don't like that then leave. And finally, we flaunted the salary cap rules - yes, as did everyone else through the 90s. But after significant penalties handed out to Carlton, Melbourne and Essendon in particular, and an amnesty period granted for clubs to clean up their act, Carlton went right on back to a sophisticated off-the-books payment system. The penalty was severe, but more than justified in the circumstances.

By 2002, our brilliant team of the 90s was done, and our failure to invest in the future led to our worst season in history - our first wooden spoon. A spectacular drop after playing finals the year before. And it's worth noting that this fall occurred before the salary cap fiasco - that came after the end of that season. We were already a depleted side, at the bottom of the ladder, and now hit with penalties that would ensure our stay at the bottom would be a long one.

20 years on, are we a better club? We've become one of the clubs we used to point at and laugh. I hope the changes we've seen this year are a sign of better things to come, only time will tell. But it would be foolish to suggest that we were not the agents of our own demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back