Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, there would only be one reason this would happen.
Setterfield feels unwanted and let down and will not do anything to assist us in getting the best deal.
If that is the situation, then again, we have failed.
Or they offer us SFA and we don’t accept it.

Either way, it’s not really about how Setters feels, it’s about the two list managers coming to an agreement.

Setterfield feels unwanted and let down and will not do anything to assist us in getting the best deal.
Other than the last 2 of this year, the games Setterfield played for Carlton just haven't been good enough.

Not sure why and how "we" failed, as you put it?

Wish him well on whatever is next for him but offering a contract when he currently isn't best 22 probably wasn't on the cards, especially when we have identified we want to bring in youth to our club.

Other than the last 2 of this year, the games Setterfield played for Carlton just haven't been good enough.

Wish him well on whatever is next for him but offering a contract when he currently isn't best 22 probably wasn't on the cards, especially when we have identified we want to bring in youth to our club.

So why did we offer Ed a new contract then? Was it a condition that Charlie asked for?

Contract offered but 1 year at a smallish amount.

He wants security and he came from GWS on a pretty good wicket.

Essendon have apparently offered multiple years and roughly what he's on now.

Disappointed but hard to blame him, especially as a boyhood dons fan.

A couple of posts about signing Ed up for another year and it being due to Charlie... There could be some truth to it but it could also be that the club views that Curnow sets a great example on the training track, injury rehab recently as well as leadership to the younger players in the VFL and that these traits make it worthwhile maintaining a list spot for the next 12 months.

Whilst he may not be as gifted as some, in terms of his football ceiling, it would appear that he has done everything right to be the best version of himself that he can be, that example and guidance could prove valuable as we continue to work on improving our culture etc.

We haven’t failed. It’s all very obvious. He clearly wanted (and fair enough) 200k a year and we don’t want to pay it for a fringe player. Love him all you want he’s working ffs and and has a right to get a decent wage if it’s available.

He’s out of contract. Bombers badly need someone like him. They can pay him 200 a year for 2-3 years. He doesn’t owe us ‘helping us on the way out’. How the **** can he do that anyway? Bluff Essendon? The club he’s going TO? “Oh if you don’t pony up then up gonna…I’m gonna….I’m gonna stay at Carlton for the shit contract they haven’t even offered me….”

For ****s sake. Get fair dinkum .

We haven’t failed. It’s all very obvious. He clearly wanted (and fair enough) 200k a year and we don’t want to pay it for a fringe player. Love him all you want he’s working ffs and and has a right to get a decent wage if it’s available.

He’s out of contract. Bombers badly need someone like him. They can pay him 200 a year for 2-3 years. He doesn’t owe us ‘helping us on the way out’. How the * can he do that anyway? Bluff Essendon? The club he’s going TO? “Oh if you don’t pony up then up gonna…I’m gonna….I’m gonna stay at Carlton for the s**t contract they haven’t even offered me….”

For *s sake. Get fair dinkum .
The club won’t pay him 200k and we haven’t failed him......ok

Need to add a protection clause to the Setterfield trade that allows Sheezal to slide through ;)

Hell I’d trade him purely for access.

Get to #5 and then trade Setterfield and #5 for #4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope the deal may look something like
Carlton > * Setterfield & (F4) if pushed)
Carlton < * F3

Then it gives us the flexibility to trade F1
Not if we trade out F4.

Sounds like * are trading their F3 to Dees for Weideman.
But they're trading Francis to Sydney, maybe they get a F3 there?

I would not sacrifice 2nd and 3rd rounders for sheezel.
Phillipou, Hollands, Hewett, Hayes all fill a need at pick 10.
Will Sheezel's game translate against men? Do you spend such a high pick on a 3rd fwd?

I have the same concerns. Harry might be a wizard (see what I did here) around goals at U18 level but lacks a bit of pace and that could find him out against smart defenders.

I wouldn't trade two first rounders for a draftee unless we are talking a Walsh-like prospect.

When we think about draftees, we say 'he plays like Walsh, Cripps or McKay'. Or in Sheezel's case, something like Robbie Gray.

But really that's the best case scenario. Not unreasonable for that player to turn out like Dow, Setters, SPS (picks 3-6).

So these kids are really POTENTIALLY the next Walsh, Cripps, McKay or Gray.

Which makes a BIG difference to what you should pay for them. A first rounder could be a bust. Paying two first rounders for a kid could be a double bust.

Sheezel isn't the next Robbie Gray. Instead, he's

5% going to be better than Robbie Gray
10% going to be as good
35% going to be a good player
20% going to be an OK player
30% going to be a bust

I might pay two first rounders for prime Robbie Gray. I wouldn't pay two first rounders for an unproven kid who miiiight be as good as Robbie Gray, but probably won't be.

TL-DR; draft picks are overrated and using multiple picks to select one kid looks dangerous IMHO

I wouldn't trade two first rounders for a draftee unless we are talking a Walsh-like prospect.

When we think about draftees, we say 'he plays like Walsh, Cripps or McKay'. Or in Sheezel's case, something like Robbie Gray.

But really that's the best case scenario. Not unreasonable for that player to turn out like Dow, Setters, SPS (picks 3-6).

So these kids are really POTENTIALLY the next Walsh, Cripps, McKay or Gray.

Which makes a BIG difference to what you should pay for them. A first rounder could be a bust. Paying two first rounders for a kid could be a double bust.

Sheezel isn't the next Robbie Gray. Instead, he's

5% going to be better than Robbie Gray
10% going to be as good
35% going to be a good player
20% going to be an OK player
30% going to be a bust

I might pay two first rounders for prime Robbie Gray. I wouldn't pay two first rounders for an unproven kid who miiiight be as good as Robbie Gray, but probably won't be.

TL-DR; draft picks are overrated and using multiple picks to select one kid looks dangerous IMHO

IF we finish last next year and have that F1 traded out.... we won't but... just saying...

Can't we just let GWS (or some other interstate team) draft him and then after 2 years of playing in their 2's bring him in for a second round pick.

On a side note... I don't like that this has spilled out... Cook has been very adamant about not leaking info out... someone still is... sure it's great for this place, gives us something to talk about... but its bad for the club.

Pick 10 + F1 (13?) probably gets us to the pick 5-6 range which I still think is too late for Sheezel. But even if he was still available then I'm not really a fan of trading away a F1st just to climb up the draft order, especially for a team like us who's contending.
We cannot trade our future first as we have already traded out our future third for Acres and the AFL wouldn`t allow it to happen, just as they knocked back Port in that four club trade when they wanted to use their future first and future second to get Rioli and H-Francis....

Or they offer us SFA and we don’t accept it.

Either way, it’s not really about how Setters feels, it’s about the two list managers coming to an agreement.
Yes that`s true, but if we only get pick 62 or whatever for Setters then isn`t it better to keep him instead of just handing him over to bloody Dodo for bugger all as I cannot recall that * creep ever doing us any favours!!! I heard that we offered Setters a one year contract when he wanted two, so it`s not that he wants out so much but more about him just wanting some certainty....I hate any of our players going to those * dogs.....!!!:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back