Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

$800,000 a season for 6 years
for a back pocket Williams was a total
"bend me over & take me"
....makes painful reading
That's nowhere near the contract price.

It's not as though Williams wasn't a gun at GWS. The deal looks poor now he can't get on the park, but I can't knock the intention, and the club needed to add some larger contracts to meet the TPP floor at the time.

When you're a struggling club you take the Free Agents you can get - this one just has worked out for us so far.

With regards to Ed.

Experience. Solid. Baseline.

Geelong was built on a group of these types.

Yes he is old. That is actually good. We need it. We know his output. It is very good second half of career. Experienced. Can handle pressure.

If Ed played 15 games this year we would have played finals.
Not sure about the 'can handle pressure' bit. He seems to be a bit of a panic merchant. He's an aficionado of the round the body dump kick, which would frequently be picked off by opposition.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure, but why are we getting in bed with Essendon? prefer to watch us pass on 68 then give it to them for nothing..
Because the people who do these deals are not supporters of the club, but employees. From an employment perspective, the AFL is a relative small industry and anyone in a coaching/football dept/admin role could well be working with the club they've just done business with in the future.
It's not in their best interest to burn bridges and be difficult to work with I reckon.
I don't think it's a coincidence that SOS is plying his trade on radio these days, and not back in club land..

Setterfield is not the main game as far as Carlton is concerned and he was uncontracted but I would like to evidence that Austin can play hard ball on a deal.
Not in the best 22..
Uncontracted.
Essendon offering more than us.

How do you suggest 'hard ball' would look?

I think the thing with Ed is that he's still the only player we have who can perform a run with role. I'd like to give someone else a job next season and I don't think Cerra is the one.

Cottrell is the obvious one with his tank but I'm not sure he is smart enough. I wonder if Owies could man up a slower mid or if Corey Durdin could do an Aaron Joseph or Anthony Franchina job.
Setters actually did a decent job the last 2 games.

Not sure about the 'can handle pressure' bit. He seems to be a bit of a panic merchant. He's an aficionado of the round the body dump kick, which would frequently be picked off by opposition.

I think though a better system makes those kicks more palatable as players should be in an area to cover.

Under Barker's midfield coaching we had all our players at the contest and no one out for the release. Meant if the first touch couldn't break contact they had to play for ground or turn the ball over, especially out of the front of the pack (we tended to keep a defensive sweeper compared to voss having a defensive sweeper and a forward receiver). Remember how many times we'd win the contest but a Oppo player would sit off and run off with it?

Hopefully ed is in a position the mitigates his 'hack' kicking by giving him an option if he wins it inside.

It's not as though Williams wasn't a gun at GWS. The deal looks poor now he can't get on the park, but I can't knock the intention, and the club needed to add some larger contracts to meet the TPP floor at the time.

When you're a struggling club you take the Free Agents you can get - this one just has worked out for us so far.
Please do not defend the indefensible. We are paying "A" grade midfield salary for a back pocket. I like Zac but a mistake is a mistake

Because the people who do these deals are not supporters of the club, but employees. From an employment perspective, the AFL is a relative small industry and anyone in a coaching/football dept/admin role could well be working with the club they've just done business with in the future.
It's not in their best interest to burn bridges and be difficult to work with I reckon.
I don't think it's a coincidence that SOS is plying his trade on radio these days, and not back in club land..
To be fair, SOS wasn't burning anyone on trades.
The only one was Gold Coast with Martin, but blame there rests solely on Cochran being a ****wit, not on SOS being unreasonable.

Yes that`s true, but if we only get pick 62 or whatever for Setters then isn`t it better to keep him instead of just handing him over to bloody Dodo for bugger all as I cannot recall that * creep ever doing us any favours!!! I heard that we offered Setters a one year contract when he wanted two, so it`s not that he wants out so much but more about him just wanting some certainty....I hate any of our players going to those * dogs.....!!!
Salary cap come into it. If we are offering 1x200k and they and are offering 2x400k, them it's a no brainer for Setterfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The intention was to turn him into a mid...

If you can't knock that then fine. Your choice.

But he lacks the work ethic required to get his fitness up to speed to play there.

We are giving him gun mid money to play off half back.

Getting the feeling 2023 is a consolidation year to pay as much money as possible to our high end players, purely so we don’t have to go down the ‘salary dump’ model in the next 3 years…

Not sure if the 110% payment of salary cap is still available but next year would be the year to do it…

Does trading that F4th in now give us the ability to trade our F1st without the AFL saying "no"? We may be able to use F1st to upgrade this years first or trade say, for Sydney's first 2 1st rounders this year.... something like that??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back