- Availability: one week

IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpeg
    IMG_1016.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
If he reinjures the knee that's his career at this stage.

Don't like thinking about that but surely that's the reality of the situation.

He’s 31 start of next season. With the likes of Hollands bros & the Campo boys coming through as defensive wingers/mids, Doc realistically only has a couple of years in him.

It’s a risk worth taking given we’re a realistic premiership winning chance.

It is a question of fitness because he needs enough VFL to be ready for AFL and unfortunately our VFL season won't be going for much longer.
We had a similar situation last year with some guys pushing to come back in but didn't have the opportunity for match fitness to be risked in the AFL finals.

More or less exactly what they said

If we secure top 4 - especially a home first week final - then you surely give it everything you've got.

It's a month longer than Goldsack who did the same in 2018 and I'd argue there's even more science behind it now than there was then.

If we secure top 4 - especially a home first week final - then you surely give it everything you've got.

It's a month longer than Goldsack who did the same in 2018 and I'd argue there's even more science behind it now than there was then.

I was surprised to see Doc listed in the injured list in the h-sun today. I think they quoted 5-7 weeks. Silvagni (nor any of the Brisbane players with ACLs cracked a mention).

My first thought, he’s likely to play (presuming we make finals).

Docs a man that's been through more adversity than almost anyone in the league.

If anyone can do it, it's him.

If the high performance team give him the green light then leave it up to him to decide.

No guarantees in life. Who knows what next year holds. If we are in contention this year he may want to have a crack.

Imagine Doc off one wing and Acres off another.

Or strengthen our backline.

We are just a better team with him out there.

We saw how good he was in finals last year. Big time player.

I was surprised to see Doc listed in the injured list in the h-sun today. I think they quoted 5-7 weeks. Silvagni (nor any of the Brisbane players with ACLs cracked a mention).

My first thought, he’s likely to play (presuming we make finals).

We didn't opt for two mid season picks for a reason

If he reinjures the knee that's his career at this stage.

Don't like thinking about that but surely that's the reality of the situation.

True, but he might only have to get through 3 or 4 games. Then he can rest the knee and build strength over the summer. They're probably thinking it's worth risking it at his age given it's only a small handful of games. They could manage his game time, too. I don't think it's even a big risk. Pretty good odds he comes through just fine.

Although the sentiment is appealing. Why the heck would we even contemplate putting in a guy who would’ve played bugger all matches for 5 months, come in at finals where the game and heat are harder and faster and have a player with that mental demon of 3 ACLs actually think it may not have some impact.

Only way I could fathom is if he’s basically going to retire and is doing a Jason McCartney eek out a last hurrah.

I agree, however let’s say he’s ready for a pre lim or even a gf, we’ve got to bring him into that kind of intensity, off no vfl or afl games.

a. He’s more likely to re-injure

b. If he does re-injure himself we’re forced to sub him, or worse play a man down

We’ll be going for a top 2/4 position again next year. There is definitely some weighing up to do.

I agree, however let’s say he’s ready for a pre lim or even a gf, we’ve got to bring him into that kind of intensity, off no vfl or afl games.

a. He’s more likely to re-injure

b. If he does re-injure himself we’re forced to sub him, or worse play a man down

We’ll be going for a top 2/4 position again next year. There is definitely some weighing up to do.
I’d feel more confident having doc in the side off an acl than Ollie to be honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although the sentiment is appealing. Why the heck would we even contemplate putting in a guy who would’ve played bugger all matches for 5 months, come in at finals where the game and heat are harder and faster and have a player with that mental demon of 3 ACLs actually think it may not have some impact.

Only way I could fathom is if he’s basically going to retire and is doing a Jason McCartney eek out a last hurrah.

I remember Russell saying he was more confident bringing players back later in the season off long lay-offs. He felt everyone else was tired and sore and the game was in fact tougher and more contested, but slower.

He brought Cyril Rioli back for the GF off a 15 week break (hammy) in the Hawks 2014 flag. The recovery program was tailored to get him right for that one game. He played limited minutes for Box Hill in the VFL GF the week before.

I'm no expert on ACL recoveries, but there must be variation in how well the graft "takes". Blokes like Tony Liberatore and Goldsack got back in the same season they did it. For whatever reason, Doc has gone past JSOS in his recovery. You push through each stage of that recovery and if you don't get swelling, you push on.

He may fall short, but it is great for him to be involved and must be uplifting for the group.

It is a question of fitness because he needs enough VFL to be ready for AFL and unfortunately our VFL season won't be going for much longer.
We had a similar situation last year with some guys pushing to come back in but didn't have the opportunity for match fitness to be risked in the AFL finals.
Once again proving how important it is to have a semi successful VFL side.

Seems like a really unnecessary pot shot at Ollie…
There have been countless.

He has so much up side. Still so young. He's done an amazing job for us.

If he gets a rest for a bit, that's fine too.

Where is the pot shot? I think Chad Warner would be more valuable to our side than a few of our mids, that’s not taking a point shot at any of them.

The reality is that some players are better than others, a poster saying they would rather Doc in the team than Ollie is not disrespectful, its not a pot shot.

How’s it any different to people saying they’d rather Gov back in defence ahead of Marchbank?

I like Ollie but he is up against physically atm. We don't have any other real wing options (Cottrell better as a defensive HF but could also use a spell, Binns is in the same boat as Ollie physically). If Doc were fit, he'd likely be playing the role.

I’d feel more confident having doc in the side off an acl than Ollie to be honest
Who's going to kick it to Doc in the dying seconds then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back