Roast Boak winning the toss and kicking into the wind

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's one from left field. I'm not sure if it's against this board's policy to actually praise the opposition, but I'm gonna take a risk anyway. The Eagles came to town with a plan, which they executed perfectly. And when the heat was really on, a few of our blokes were found wanting. You can't have twice as many clangers as the opposition, and expect to walk away with the 4 points. The Eagles were cleaner with the ball, and therefore deserved the win.

I don't like reading weak excuses for losses - we're better than that. There's still 16 games to go, and I'm backing our boys to bounce back from tonight's disappointment, and give the Lions the shellacking they so richly deserve!!!!!
The Eagles were fantastic.
If it wasn't against us, I would have loved watching them today. They were the better team for 70% of the game in almost every facet of play and in the vast majority of positions on the ground.
It's left me wondering how many other teams there are out there this season who are much better than I had realised. We are not going to have it our way against GWS, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Essendon and perhaps one or two other sides also - we're playing like we did in the rut we got into last year, and there are enough competent teams out there, who will push us all the way.

Credit to the Eagles for getting their house in order and putting together a dangerous footy team.

The Eagles were fantastic.
If it wasn't against us, I would have loved watching them today. They were the better team for 70% of the game in almost every facet of play and in the vast majority of positions on the ground.
It's left me wondering how many other teams there are out there this season who are much better than I had realised. We are not going to have it our way against GWS, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Essendon and perhaps one or two other sides also - we're playing like we did in the rut we got into last year, and there are enough competent teams out there, who will push us all the way.

Credit to the Eagles for getting their house in order and putting together a dangerous footy team.
That's the sort of stuff I like to read. Anybody who thought at the start of the season, "Woohoo - we've got Ryder: let's book our grand final tickets now", were on a different planet to reality. Before you can win the ultimate prize, there will be some speed humps along the way. What we as fans must do is stick with the boys through thick and thin, because I still reckon there's plenty of good times ahead. If we can score 50 points in a quarter against the reigning premiers, it's surely not all gloom and doom.

Life could be a lot worse - we could be Carlton fans right now :)

Scores were tied at quarter time "against" the wind.
Gained the lead at half time "with" the wind.
Lost the lead at three quarter "against" the wind.
Lost the game "with" the wind.

Boak couldn't have given us more help if he tried.

That's the sort of stuff I like to read. Anybody who thought at the start of the season, "Woohoo - we've got Ryder: let's book our grand final tickets now", were on a different planet to reality. Before you can win the ultimate prize, there will be some speed humps along the way. What we as fans must do is stick with the boys through thick and thin, because I still reckon there's plenty of good times ahead. If we can score 50 points in a quarter against the reigning premiers, it's surely not all gloom and doom.

Life could be a lot worse - we could be Carlton fans right now :)

People seem to forget things like during 2004, we lost to the Kangaroos (who ended up finishing 10th) by 90 odd points.

It was to avoid the sun I reckon. Don't really have a problem with it. We had the wind in the last and couldn't buy a goal.

Never kick against the wind. Never.
It died down as the game went on, but the first half at least was definitely impacting.

I thought the ball carried further to the scoreboard end in the first half, plus a kick that Kennedy had from the left flank at the river end at about the halfway mark of the 2nd qtr swung the best part of 5 metres from the centre of the goals and barely scraped in for a point.

The kick was a Butch special of the helicopter variety though. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Terrible Thread, can't blame the wind because it favoured no-one, and you can't blame the sun really either, because the ball goes both ways, and while it would be hard to kick goals into the sun, it would also be hard to mark the ball when the ball is coming towards you from that end. So Not an issue either way. I think Boaky just loves pointing towards his boys...

We should have kicked to the scoreboard end first, said to my brother at the time did we just do a Richmond... We certainly did...

There are some games the toss doesn't matter, some where it does. When we won the toss I thought nice, didn't really notice what way travis pointed, just assumed, when the bloke on the pa said kicking to the southern end I thought wtf... It was a mistake.

FWIW I was standing in front of the scoreboard and the breeze at the time of the toss felt like it was coming over my left shoulder, so mostly across the ground but slightly favouring the southern end too - Boak's decision made sense to me. I don't think anyone knows which way it was blowing out in the middle of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Boak winning the toss and kicking into the wind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back