Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I knew 30 seconds in somebody hadn't put in under his nose and said "read this", so I was happy.
Yeah that's the point I hit pause and came over here to post about it haha. And when I did that I saw that it was 18 minutes long and I was pretty sure no one in marketing wrote him a 2000 word essay to read out.

i Love the Churchill Quote. It was very much in line with the stoic, strong leadership feel of the whole thing. I'm just surprised he didn't quote Marcus Aurelius as well.

At least you know he wrote it himself.

Honestly though it's worth listening to. There's been rumours of him asking hard questions. It certainly seems like he has. He talks about the accountability, hierarchy and roles of the President, board members, CEO, GM Football, Senior Coach. He talks about Daniher and Saad. He talks about his relationship with the AFL, and that although he values that relationship, he will be putting the needs of the club first, advocating for the club. He promised to speak and to show leadership. He mentioned that he's stepped away from most of his other roles to focus on the role of president. He touches on the club being a bit passive after the saga. He talks about drafting and strategic recruitment, and getting that in sync with what the game plan and whatever is up to.

He acknowledges and appears to have already begun addressing a lot of issues that we've been talking about for years. No more sweeping the elephant under the carpet.

Ok. On your advise I went back and listened. And if I was an honest and a trustworthy guy I would be delighted to hear what he said. He certainly touched on all the hot topics didn't he?

But Im probably a tad disgruntled and a little bitter towards this club. Thats ok, I step away from it all when it gets too much of course. Its only a silly little game.

But I think this 'slick' performance really needs to be seen for what it really is. They are shit scared of 1000's of members dropping of next year. Thats one snowball rolling down the mountain they don't want gaining momentum.

Justifibly too with the crap that has been dished up by this lot for so so long. Oh, and Brasher has been part of this crap performance. He can't be excused or believed.

Do we all remember the boost we got when we heard Lindsay Tanner the first time? Does anyone? He put on a 'slick' performance too. Its because the types of ppl that get to become president are good at talking shit. Oh and he talked a bit tonight. History, passion, loyalty, excuses and more excuses, blah, blah, blah.

His little talk tonight certainly will stop alot of ppl cancelling memberships next year. It will be the last we here from him. Oh until we have another shit year next year. Then he will need to speak again.

More McMahon than Tanner.

I might be reading into it but he did mention "this time around" when he referred to Dodoro's list management duties too...

Yeah I thought that was quite telling. A speech like that has been carefully prepared and I don't think something like that would be included by accident.

There was another line at 10:20 where he quite pointedly said that Rutten will be 'empowered to drive the football program', which seems like an odd thing to mention unless the coaches maybe haven't been as empowered as they would've liked previously. Which is interesting given Worsfold's comments about Essendon people and so on.

Interesting comments at around the 7 minute mark. Interesting in that the subject was mentioned.

Very interesting.

Hopefully these are things he actually believes and will act on, and weren't comments targeted at specific complaints that have reached him from supporter groups.

Ok. On your advise I went back and listened. And if I was an honest and a trustworthy guy I would be delighted to hear what he said. He certainly touched on all the hot topics didn't he?

But Im probably a tad disgruntled and a little bitter towards this club. Thats ok, I step away from it all when it gets too much of course. Its only a silly little game.

But I think this 'slick' performance really needs to be seen for what it really is. They are sh*t scared of 1000's of members dropping of next year. Thats one snowball rolling down the mountain they don't want gaining momentum.

Justifibly too with the crap that has been dished up by this lot for so so long. Oh, and Brasher has been part of this crap performance. He can't be excused or believed.

Do we all remember the boost we got when we heard Lindsay Tanner the first time? Does anyone? He put on a 'slick' performance too. Its because the types of ppl that get to become president are good at talking sh*t. Oh and he talked a bit tonight. History, passion, loyalty, excuses and more excuses, blah, blah, blah.

His little talk tonight certainly will stop alot of ppl cancelling memberships next year. It will be the last we here from him. Oh until we have another sh*t year next year. Then he will need to speak again.
While I don't necessarily agree, I appreciate where you're coming from and I think a degree of informed cynicism is pretty healthy with the way the world works these days.

Yeah I thought that was quite telling. A speech like that has been carefully prepared and I don't think something like that would be included by accident.

There was another line at 10:20 where he quite pointedly said that Rutten will be 'empowered to drive the football program', which seems like an odd thing to mention unless the coaches maybe haven't been as empowered as they would've liked previously. Which is interesting given Worsfold's comments about Essendon people and so on.
Backseat drivers...

The club is dropping members. The tired old message has failed, and the team has failed. Some sort of 'honest' message was literally the only sensible option and everyone knew it was coming - so here it is, time to lap it up.

There's nothing remarkable or courageous about it. They had to acknowledge problems because clearly there are problems. He should know, he's been on the board that has overseen them for years.

He's basically saying the club is going to run like it should have been running for the entire time he has been there. The coaches will get support. We want players who try hard. That and a bit about the reporting lines and who will deliver the messages (like anyone cares). No hard hitting reviews to be conducted. Just a lot of hope and confidence based on nothing more than turning things around quickly to win flags 30 plus years ago - in an entirely different competition.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is dropping members.
Bad time to be dropping members, I'm not sure the club's other sources of income would be doing to flash right now so a big decline in members would really hurt the club financially.

Maybe all it took for the club to do the right thing was the prospect of not making enough money.

I was at that game in ‘92,was in standing room, absolute circus, didn’t leave. Like the bulldogs last year, made the kids stay and suck it up. The boy wanted to go at half time and before I could knock back his request the daughter hopped in “ no way, we’re staying “ I used to be red hot on people leaving early, Ess and opposition, safe to say I’ve sort of weakened/mellowed on mouthing off at people who choose to do it. Players couldn’t give a ****, why should the fans. Don’t know what it is that keeps me there as we ( bulldogs game) get bent over like a two buck whore. Very strange.

Very interesting.

Hopefully these are things he actually believes and will act on, and weren't comments targeted at specific complaints that have reached him from supporter groups.
Just words at this stage and to be taken with a healthy dose of cynicism. it'll be good to see how they translate into actions.

I was at that game in ‘92,was in standing room, absolute circus, didn’t leave. Like the bulldogs last year, made the kids stay and suck it up. The boy wanted to go at half time and before I could knock back his request the daughter hopped in “ no way, we’re staying “ I used to be red hot on people leaving early, Ess and opposition, safe to say I’ve sort of weakened/mellowed on mouthing off at people who choose to do it. Players couldn’t give a fu**, why should the fans. Don’t know what it is that keeps me there as we ( bulldogs game) get bent over like a two buck whore. Very strange.
I was there too and I can still remember it vividly. I reckon it is probably the worst loss that i have experienced. My old man refused to leave because he wouldn't let the hawks supporters surrounding us have the satisfaction of seeing us leave even though the game was pretty much over at half time.

Dad, is that you?

I was there too and I can still remember it vividly. I reckon it is probably the worst loss that i have experienced. My old man refused to leave because he wouldn't let the hawks supporters surrounding us have the satisfaction of seeing us leave even though the game was pretty much over at half time.

Dad, is that you?
We kicked the first goal !! C. Daniher !!!

I liked them and he said more than Tanner did the entire time he took over from Skeletor.

But lets see this reflected in 2021.

Also what is with the elderly rich people we are getting in? Give us a younger President.
Yeh and we have a young CEO, and look where it got us. Age is not the issue. If he can deliver the outcome, I don't care if he is 101. His age certainly make it a priority for us to win a flag if he is going to live and see one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back