Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I was happy to give Rutten more time if we were respectable in our last few games.

The last half of the GWS game and the debacle of Sunday has swayed my thinking completely.
Yeah i was on the keep Rutten ship but have jumped overboard on to the Clarkson Loveboat ...full ship ahoy!

Well, someone's going to look very silly shortly - either Watson or Jones.

I noticed that in his doorstop Campbell said that HE hadn't met with Clarkson.

Either way, if AC wanted the North job to the exclusion of all others he would have it.

Whether the board officially met with him yesterday isn't particularly relevant.

I take my lead here from Whatley. He spent a lot of time at some lunch with AC who was guest speaker (I think GW was MC).

That then became the start of the PR push for a job. GW had it on the record that salary demands were bullshit. He was also big on Clarksons reinforced team first ethos.

He's been saying Clarkson has liked the look of Essendon, that AC has held the view for a while now (i.e. 2 to 3 months it has been one of those known industry secrets).

Robbo was measured all day and then got everything factually correct. He and GW say it will likely happen this week.

I dont think I can say I've been excited about anything Essendon related for a long, long time.

I understand the risks. Clarkson would not be my first preference, I would prefer Lyon or Hird (100% on Hird, not a joke). They don't come as the messiah which removes some of the pressure but they are leaders who get buy in. BUT it's Clarkson.

He's driven almost all of the tactical evolution in the game. His teams are so much better than the sum of their parts. You can't achieve that without tactical nous and the ability to motivate.

The club has to manage expectations and give him the time to build something. Our advantage is that much of the work has been done.

The next gen spine will all be year 3 or older next year. The likes of Perkins, Caldwell and Hobbs should be able to take over the midfield.

There is a lot to work with. It has to be developed, there isn't really an alternative. This removes most of the risk that follows the appointment of a coach like Clarkson.

Last edited:
I feel like Clarko isn't going to win us a flag - but perhaps a flag isnt the metric to measure him by. If he sets some kind of standards, makes a mess back of house and sets the ball rolling on standards and culture and a stiffened team structure, maybe hes done his job for the next guy.

plus we all know a flag isnt our holy grail, its winning a final so we can shut that stupid count up clock off

one will do.
If he stops the easy transition for the opposition he will have done a mighty job

I feel like Clarko isn't going to win us a flag - but perhaps a flag isnt the metric to measure him by. If he sets some kind of standards, makes a mess back of house and sets the ball rolling on standards and culture and a stiffened team structure, maybe hes done his job for the next guy.

plus we all know a flag isnt our holy grail, its winning a final so we can shut that stupid count up clock off

one will do.

idc about a flag

win a final first - that should be the aim

I’ve seen very few people outright say they don’t want Clarkson.

The guy is obviously - very, very obviously - a great coach.

What many are saying though, is if the club thinks that changing head coach alone will fix all that ails us, they’re very delusional.

Massive difference.
There are quite a few on here and on socials that don't want Clarkson...Agree that changing the head coach alone doesn't mean everything else changes, but I believe Clarkson coming in will be given the opportunity to shake things up and the external review will aid this...While the club has completely stuffed this process up and the optics look terrible, in the end it is the right thing for the club.

There's also the thing about dynasty coaches rarely repeating elsewhere, way more cases of a fail next club

But every now and then a barassi presents, is he it?
Malthouse was successful at two clubs after his first job, albeit no GF success at the Dogs. I thinK Malthouse going to the Pies is a better example than people using his Carlton experience as the example to use...BUT I think Clarko is vastly different than Malthouse, he was past it and took the Carltank job for all the wrong reasons.

One this I can say with certainty is that I am really excited for what is to come is Clarkson is appointed. I didn't like the Worsfold appointment, hated the extension even more and the club completely baffled me with the succession plan and I have remained vanilla about the club since 2017 onwards...in fact 2016 I really enjoyed being a supporter of this club and I look forward to getting that excitement back.

There is no way Clarkson will let the opposition run free and move the ball from our F50 with such ease and all you have to do is look at the lists he won flags with to know that he values a champion team over a team of champions. Would there have been many other coaches that would've let Buddy walk?

Let me guess - Viojo isn't a big bodied midfielder...
182 cm speedy flanker that will no doubt fill out (and magically grow in height) into a contested beast workhorse.
Oh just needs to work on his (right foot) kicking a bit before he becomes one of essendons trademark next great white hope.
All for the bargain basement price of 2x 2nd rounders, what a steal!
Or something... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are quite a few on here and on socials that don't want Clarkson...Agree that changing the head coach alone doesn't mean everything else changes, but I believe Clarkson coming in will be given the opportunity to shake things up and the external review will aid this...While the club has completely stuffed this process up and the optics look terrible, in the end it is the right thing for the club.
I outright didn’t want Clarkson not because he is a bad coach, but because that’s exactly what we do and have done for the last 15 years. It gives into this idea that the coach is the problem and not the list/management. And I also don’t believe we have enough evidence that Rutten can’t take this team to success. I suspect most anti-Clarkson people have a similar opinion.

Now I’m of the opinion that signing Clarkson will be the least embarrassing outcome for the club given how they handled themselves in the past 24 hours.

Understand all the positive pro-Clarkson talk, but why do we trust this playing group? They seem to have completely quit on Rutten, a chunk of them quit on Worsfold. Getting Clarkson would be a great start (provided Mahoney, Campbell & Dodoro also go) but this is a playing group that willingly gives up on its coach on 2 occasions - a lot of them need to be held equally responsible & shown the door.

Getting Clarkson would be a great start (provided Mahoney, Campbell & Dodoro also go) but this is a playing group that willingly gives up on its coach on 2 occasions - a lot of them need to be held equally responsible & shown the door.
Big difference is clarkson would have the authority/gravitas/ruthlessness to drop those players to the vfl (and then show them the door).
Worsfold couldn't due to saga-itis, Truck apparently didn't have buy-in.
If nothing else, if clarkson rids the joint of the soft underbelly (dare I say 'cruisy knackers...?'), it will be a success regardless of finals/flags etc

Understand all the positive pro-Clarkson talk, but why do we trust this playing group? They seem to have completely quit on Rutten, a chunk of them quit on Worsfold. Getting Clarkson would be a great start (provided Mahoney, Campbell & Dodoro also go) but this is a playing group that willingly gives up on its coach on 2 occasions - a lot of them need to be held equally responsible & shown the door.
Worsfold was always an interim coach & players haven't bought in on whatever Rutten is selling.

If Clarko comes in at least he will shake the place up a bit. He wasn't afraid to trade players at the Hawks, regardless of reputation.

Will be a few nervous players, including the captain.

Thing is, if we don't get Clarkson now, how the hell are we going to entice players to come our way?

Big difference is clarkson would have the authority/gravitas/ruthlessness to drop those players to the vfl (and then show them the door).
Worsfold couldn't due to saga-itis, Truck apparently didn't have buy-in.
If nothing else, if clarkson rids the joint of the soft underbelly (dare I say 'cruisy knackers...?'), it will be a success regardless of finals/flags etc

Worsfold was always an interim coach & players haven't bought in on whatever Rutten is selling.

If Clarko comes in at least he will shake the place up a bit. He wasn't afraid to trade players at the Hawks, regardless of reputation.

Will be a few nervous players, including the captain.

Thing is, if we don't get Clarkson now, how the hell are we going to entice players to come our way?

To me, both of these are as mandatory as Clarko (or any new coach) being able to bring in his own guys off-field. In no way, shape or form can there not be a somewhat of a cleaning of house within the playing group as well.

From Age article today...

"....Bombers skipper Dyson Heppell backed the coach but sources have indicated Rutten does not enjoy the full support of players to continue as coach."

Clarkson would presumably have the runs on the board to give any players who refuse to buy in the flick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back