Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

From Age article today...

"....Bombers skipper Dyson Heppell backed the coach but sources have indicated Rutten does not enjoy the full support of players to continue as coach."

I’d ask who those players are. If Rutten leaves, then I’d remove those players too.

From Age article today...

"....Bombers skipper Dyson Heppell backed the coach but sources have indicated Rutten does not enjoy the full support of players to continue as coach."

Yep, Ham, Cutler and Francis want him gone.

Semantics possibly? - I read from that that someone spoke to Clarko's reps - not Clarko himself.

Not really. The report was the club sat down with Clarkson.
There is no doubt there has been at least a phone conversation with his manager but the board meeting went well into the afternoon so there was no sit down conversations.

Come on Hirdy, put your hand up, come home.
Yes, let's do the one thing that would be dumber than sacking Truck and hiring Clarko without due process.

A few people much more ITK than me on this board seem pretty confident on us getting Clarkson. Personally it's looking a lot like the hot girl suddenly being single and giving them a wink, they think she's into them so break up with their gf and shoot their shot. Turns out she was just being friendly. They end up all alone w*nking in the corner thinking of their ex.

if i know footy classifieds MO.. and i think i do..

Old mate will ask Ross Lyon would you coach Essendon, would you take the call ect - he will spout out a bunch of tag lines which will be twitterised

next morning the media narrative has Lyon as a front runner if Clarkson falters - not for any other reason than his co host asking him a question

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we miss Clarkson then this is an unmitigated disaster
Hardly this shake up has been overdue. We need an external review and weren’t going to get it with brasher. Rutten has been at essendon for 4 years and still hasn’t been able to implement the defensive structure, which was the reason he was brought into the club for in the first place. What makes anyone think he it was suddenly going to fix itself next year. Regardless of clarkson rutten probably ends with the external review findings.

A few people much more ITK than me on this board seem pretty confident on us getting Clarkson. Personally it's looking a lot like the hot girl suddenly being single and giving them a wink, they think she's into them so break up with their gf and shoot their shot. Turns out she was just being friendly. They end up all alone w*nking in the corner thinking of their ex.

Sorry, I can't resist posting another Big Train clip in this thread.

Hardly this shake up has been overdue. We need an external review and weren’t going to get it with brasher. Rutten has been at essendon for 4 years and still hasn’t been able to implement the defensive structure, which was the reason he was brought into the club for in the first place. What makes anyone think he it was suddenly going to fix itself next year. Regardless of clarkson rutten probably ends with the external review findings.
Agree 100% on the external review. Pre-empting the outcome of that review with the assumption that it would recommend the removal of Rutten is a bit misguided IMO. At what point, in the last 20 years, has Essendon been a good defensive team? Is that the failure of Knights/Hird/Bomber/Woosha/Rutten (am I missing anyone)? Are they all terrible coaches that just had to be sacked? Or is there perhaps another answer that an external review may be able to put its finger on? I'm not pretending I know the answer, but given our 20 year history I don't think you can just keep blaming the head coach and sacking them.

I'm all for a massive shake-up at Essendon. But this is not the way you go about it. The design of this is simply to go all-in for Clarko. It's putting everything on red. If we don't get him its a disaster.

If we miss Clarkson then this is an unmitigated disaster

The most important thing is the external review will happen no matter what.

It's also possible Clarkson and the external review will be sold as a package deal (may have been the plan all along if this has been in the works for weeks/months).

Clarkson part of team that reviews and setups the football department on the go to be ready to rock and roll by October while another team can review the exec/admin department without any time constraints.

If we miss Clarkson, we need a coach that has been successful at AFL level IMO.
Lyon, Buckley etc.
Buckley on SEN all but flat out said "no" when wheatley asked him the hypothetical "would you be interested". He said watching the last 24 hours as an outsider it seems there is too many things that need to be addressed in backroom (and pretty much indicated he didnt like the way they had treated truck either).

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back