Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
There’s no more excuses if we fail with Clarkson rather than thinking gee have we got the right coach.
Agree completely. If we sack the coach during a rebuild because we're so ****ing impatient and don't get success in the near future then what's the point.

Agree completely. If we sack the coach during a rebuild because we're so ******* impatient and don't get success in the near future then what's the point.
Membership and revenue for next year. That’s the point.

I knew we were screwed as a football club the moment we couldn’t even officially commit to a logo change.

Not really. The report was the club sat down with Clarkson.
There is no doubt there has been at least a phone conversation with his manager but the board meeting went well into the afternoon so there was no sit down conversations.

Could have been via Zoom. Didn't see any board members being interviewed, which might say it wasn't an onsite meeting.

I actually think it’ll be good because we’ll get what we deserve and the external review will no doubt find that we need to stop acting like children.

The unmitigated disaster will be if Rutten has the courage to just flat out walk away, which I wouldn’t at all blame him for given the state of the joint.

The ultimate irony is my biggest concern with Clarko is team defence has evolved a heck of a lot since he was last successful and he would probably need a really strong defensive coordinator to pair with him and there are 4 or 5 names that are front of mind including Leppa, Chaplin and Rutten.

He’s right ****ing there.

You might have to accept that Rutten is not that good. Or at least contrast what he is doing with what an objectively good senior coach does.

Look at Bomber Thompson in 2014. He developed a plan to defend and protect a team of players that couldn't run from end of season fade outs.That team was no more skilful, it was much less gifted aerobically and we were tearing our hair out all year because we didn't have forwards who could consistently control the game.

The ball movent did become awful at times but we were defending the ground. At the moment, there is no suggestion we are making any inroads in terms of the development of a sustainable defensive system. It's another 2 years of bad habits.

4 years to teach defence and virtually nothing to show for it is any awfully long time.

Last edited:
I honestly hope that whoever comes in to replace Rutten does a massive cleanout (starting with Dodoro and his team of course). Silvagni and co would make a great replacement.

Surely also the players have to bear responsibility for their dismal efforts and heartless performances. The footage of Hind on the bench next to Rutten shown on footy classified is shocking in my opinion. What is going on there? Even if he doesn't support Rutten, he should at least display some professionalism. Cull is needed and start afresh. Hopefully some of this is found in the external review.
Silvangi f**k that
The bloke who traded in hacks from gws
The bloke who drafted SPS, dow and O’Brien top 10 and stocker and philp in the first round.
In recent years are recruiting department (the whole department not just one person in Dodoro)has done a great job of bringing in talent.

I can understand some posters not wanting Clarkson near the joint. There are some personalities in the game from opposition clubs that are hard to stomach. Imagine if Mitchell went on to be the next genius coach in the near future and we were head hunting him in a decades time. :sick: :sick: :sick:

If we get AC it will be quite a while before we play consistent footy like real contenders do. Our senior players have shown over and over they don't gel week in week out. Sure, they are great sometimes. Personally, I think we might be a chance when our our 18/19/20 year old players become men...if they learn the right way now before bad habits form from being around our senior core. We need to sort this shit out before we spoil the next generation.

You might have to accept that Rutten is not that good. Or at least contrast what he is doing with what an objectively good senior coach does.

Look at Bomber Thompson in 2014. He developed a plan to defend and protect a team of players that couldn't run from end of season fade outs.That team was no more skilful, it was much less gifted aerobically and we were tearing our hair out all year because we didn't have forwards who could consistently control the game.

The ball moment did become awful at times but we were defending the ground. At the moment, there is no suggestion we are making any inroads in terms of the development of a sustainable defensive system. It's another 2 years of bad habits.

4 years to teach defence and virtually nothing to show for it is any awfully long time.

Multiple people on multiple occasions this year have called out moments where half the side looked like they were defending a man and half looked like they were defending space, so that’s 50% adherence. The issue with trying to teach a zone defence is that any number between 1 and 99 will not cut it and there is evidence from multiple clubs at multiple points in progression towards properly establishing something that shows us ‘when it breaks, it breaks hard’, and that’s not necessarily an indicator of progress forward or backwards.

As far as I’m concerned this is just another instance of not wanting to go through a process and wanting an easy way out and all we’re doing is probably just letting Rutten go elsewhere to embarrass us further down the line.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say, the media who claim to promote mental health awareness have been nothing short of disgraceful and disrespectful to Rutten. Rutten has been disrespected not just by the club, past players and reportedly some players, but by the industry at large. Feeling sorry for Rutten is understating how I feel about this whole situation.

Is there any circumstance in which Rutten stays? Hardwick, Hinkley, bomber, Goodwin have all had journos screaming it is untenable but all stayed after a coin toss of being sacked or not.

I'd like Clarkson but prefer stick with Rutten if not Clarkson and clean up all the mess behind the scenes.

Look we chased, contemplated the greatest coach of modern error but external review demonstrates sticking with you, clearing out dodo and offering more support is way to go. Here is a one year extension you have 2 years to win a final, do it your way or you will be sacked or you can walk away now.

Rutten with a fu to some coterie groups, some of the board is some of the benefits we would get from Clarkson anyway.

Could be fanciful but kind of sick of always hearing coach,/,players relationship with a club is unsalvageable and actually turns out better than before.

Is there any circumstance in which Rutten stays? Hardwick, Hinkley, bomber, Goodwin have all had journos screaming it is untenable but all stayed after a coin toss of being sacked or not.

I'd like Clarkson but prefer stick with Rutten if not Clarkson and clean up all the mess behind the scenes.

Look we chased, contemplated the greatest coach of modern error but external review demonstrates sticking with you, clearing out dodo and offering more support is way to go. Here is a one year extension you have 2 years to win a final, do it your way or you will be sacked or you can walk away now.

Rutten with a fu to some coterie groups, some of the board is some of the benefits we would get from Clarkson anyway.

Could be fanciful but kind of sick of always hearing coach,/,players relationship with a club is unsalvageable and actually turns out better than before.
No

I think our loss to Port is being overblown.

Yes we were blown out but it is the 2nd last game of the season and we are bottom 4. Would we really be happier to have won and dropped a draft spot?

I honestly hope that whoever comes in to replace Rutten does a massive cleanout (starting with Dodoro and his team of course). Silvagni and co would make a great replacement.

Surely also the players have to bear responsibility for their dismal efforts and heartless performances. The footage of Hind on the bench next to Rutten shown on footy classified is shocking in my opinion. What is going on there? Even if he doesn't support Rutten, he should at least display some professionalism. Cull is needed and start afresh. Hopefully some of this is found in the external review.

it's not great but a bit of context always helps,

No. Attempting a secret emergency board meeting and the leaving the industry to cover his sacking for 4 to 5 hours without any denial and openly courting Clarkson does one thing if absolutely nothing else, it blows up Rutten's credibility in the eyes of the players.

We can't go into a new season doomed with speculation. The moment there is a dip in form the commentary starts again. These things are self fulfilling.

I would go as far as saying that parts of the timing are deliberate. We're now going to get destroyed by Richmond so in the unlikely event Rutten lasts that long, that will be the end of it, all of the justification to move on.

Not sure we have the time for process.
We had a year.

As was reported, X sounded out Clarkson earlier in the year.

As for people mentioned the patch of 7 games…
One thing I always remember is that in final round of 2016, Swans beat Richmond by 113 points. Tigers won the flag the next year. Things can change quickly sometimes. Not saying we will win the premiership next year by any stretch, but I remember many people gunning at Dimma at end of 2016.
IIRC Essendon, 1992, lost to Hawthorn by 150 points in either the last or second last game of the season. Won the flag the following year.

I think our loss to Port is being overblown.

Yes we were blown out but it is the 2nd last game of the season and we are bottom 4. Would we really be happier to have won and dropped a draft spot?

I think there's an expectation, at least for a fair % of fans, that the team should go out each week and at least show endevour regardless of ladder position or game worth. Generally people are ok if you have a crack but are beaten by a better side.
It's always impossible to judge from the sidelines, but optically the loss on Sunday was far worse than just being beaten by a better team. Half (or more) of our list looked like they didn't want to be there, and it seemed to be the continuation of a trend from most of the last month. So yeah, in isolation a loss to Port at the tailend of a season with no finals doesn't mean anything on its own regardless of victory margin, in the larger picture it's the latest symptom of something else that might be a bit more serious.
Of course in true Essington fashion we then compounded that sympton by suddenly having two board meetings in 24 hrs, and rather than having prepared statements about it just being the Prez stepping down a week early so they needed to bring up the new appointment, we let media speculation run rampant for a full news cycle...

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back