Bob Murphy possible retirement ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm going to ask because it's been bothering me for a while now.

Can someone please tell me when Murphy went from being a good player to being a champion?

He's never been among the top 10-15 guys in the league - debatable he's ever been the best player at his club that has turned out some pretty average teams (ever won a B&F?), he's gone AA twice, 4 years apart - so not exactly an extended run of excellent form (whether that be for injury or what ever).

He's nearly at 300 games, but he's also been in the league for 16-17 years and plays for club that tends to have a hard time showing the door to it's 'favourite sons'.

Has this 'champion'/'untouchable Bob' just come along hand in hand with the media darling stuff or is he legitimately considered a 'CHAMPION' - even at a Bulldogs level?
You're playing stupid word games, and taking every comment seriously. Ok Murphy is not a champion happy.A few people have been to liberal in using a term and you cry about it on the internet.

But the funny thing is he never got one. Had he not got injured I doubt the Dogs would've won either. He is a good player but too much figjam about him which has a negative affect on the group.

What a strange assessment, seems like one of the less figjamy blokes playing the game.

He was a solid player for many years. Not really ever brilliant, but solid. He had little effect this year on the playing group this year. If he had the effect that the club said he had I very much doubt the Dogs would be premiers, as it would have indicated a severe lack of leadership depth.

Considering people usually say it takes about 12 months after you start playing again to reach normal levels I very much doubt he will play on as that would have him playing 2018 for that chance. If he does play the Dogs will be compromised. Therefore I can see him falling on his sword here.

Dogs great nothing more for me.

You're playing stupid word games, and taking every comment seriously. Ok Murphy is not a champion happy.A few people have been to liberal in using a term and you cry about it on the internet.

Touched a nerve much?

Who's crying mate? It was just a question.

If it helps, I asked a similar question when Lenny Hayes retired and some Yahoo journo wrote an article calling him a 'Modern Great'.

Never been a fan of hyperbole. That's all.

Touched a nerve much?

If it helps, I asked a similar question when Lenny Hayes retired and some Yahoo journo wrote an article calling him a 'Modern Great'.

Please don't tell me you're comparing Rob Murphy to Lenny Hayes....?

Don't know if I believe it. Has looked fine on the track by all reports, but of course recovering from an ACL can be incredibly taxing mentally, especially when the body doesn't recover as well as it used to.

Hope he pushes through. I'd like to see him get a non-sympathy medal.
Yawn. Sick of reading about him
Can empathise with that. I'm sick of reading about your club's bungled attempt to defraud the competition and the legal proceedings that ensued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Touched a nerve much?

No pal. You were having a cry pure and simple. It's football, people use hyperbole and overate players, so what. The whole gave is overhyped. Guess what you probably have as well with over 13,000 posts on an internet site.

Please don't tell me you're comparing Rob Murphy to Lenny Hayes....?

Why wouldn't he?

What did Lenny Hayes ever do apart from win a norm smith medal that meant nothing?

Rob Murphy is an absolute champion. The leadership he has shown this young group who are now premiership players was amazing. You talk to any of them about footy and Bob will be mentioned about 3 sentences in.

A couple of years ago I got a bit sick of the bob love as well and started watching him closely to see if he actually is any good and he's bloody brilliant. His defensive work (which nobody cares about because you're all stat whores) is absolutely first class. His skill in one on contests is bloody amazing.

If you're in the "he's not that good" camp then it's time to roll out the Bulldogs games from 2015 and see how he goes.

**** off idiot. Bob Murphy has been an average footballer for 99% of his career. He does not deserve anywhere near the fanfare or coverage he has received this year
99%?

So he's only played 3 games in his career that are above average?

And you're calling other people idiots?

Try again mate.

Murphy has for years been angling for an ex-player media career. That part of him will have been ****ing delighted at all the grand final attention he got for a win he didn't contribute to. "Poor Bob" has enhanced his brand.

Selfish. Has everyone fooled though, so good luck to him.

Pretty good effort to fool everyone at the Dogs who clearly love him. The people at the club, including Bevo seem to think he played a huge part in keeping the club together when everything imploded ... but what would they know??

I love the hate Bob has got since the Grandfinal :) I'd love him to play on and play in a flag, because he deserves it

More than a few people here (I.e. Idiots) are incapable of understanding the contextual emphasis of the use of the term 'champion' and are getting their back up about it.

He's not a champion for his on field exploits (a very good player, and in the context of the last decade in the club maybe not in the top 5), but that isn't what it is about and never was. He's a champion for his leadership and the cultural stability he provides at our club on and off field. You don't believe it? Read any media coming out of the club.

But no, I assume that would be an elaborate hoax on their behalf because the gushing makes you cringe it can't be about anything that is real and must be made up amirite?? He clearly only has cynical motivations... All that emotion was sustained acting to ensure post football success, and you sat there and knew what was happening while he conned the football world!!

Such stupidity. It really is pathetic.

Last edited:
He had his moment in the sun on grand final day, lifting the cup AND winning the Jock McHale medal WITHOUT even touching the footy during the match. He won't be as fortunate in 2017.
Why are you talking about Alistair Clarkson in the Bob Murphy thread?
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back