Bob Murphy possible retirement ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who cares - don't think I've ever seen a more over hyped feel good story for a bloke who played next to know part in securing a flag.

Well he played a very big KNOWING part in the win. He was at the forefront of turning the side around after the 2014 post season and became a strong part of the coaching side throughout the 2016 season. So he certainly did KNOW.

He played next to no part on the actual playing field.

Wonderful player and guy. Don't get the hate for him in this thread at all. It's kind of sad actually considering we're potentially talking about a career ending knee injury.

And if it's about him getting up on the stage at the gf, I distinctly remember being INVITED up there by the coach.

Hope he goes on next year but if not he deserves the accolades.

Some players deserve to go out on their own terms, generally the players who are rated far more highly at their own club than the rest of the league expects.

We were a complete and utter rabble October 2014 and Bob played a big part in turning that around - that goes beyond on field performances (which to the point he did his knee was pretty damn good considering our gameplan is based on rebound from defence and he was our best rebounding defender).

I wouldn't begrudge him pulling the pin as long as he continues at the club in a similar capacity to 2016.

Geez I hope this thread isn't an accurate reflection of the broader football following public.

A few comments. As for Bobs credentials, he was AA captain at 32. That in itself is a pretty remarkable achievment remembering it was his first year as captain. He was awarded AA status on the back of a fantastic season in 2015 and then given the captaincy because of his ability to create a team spirit where everyone was playing for TEAM and not individual.

Previously he was a much loved and great footballer for the club. Not a champion of history perhaps but not many really are. From then his status within the club and its supporters grew due to his impact on team both as a player and captain. Few captains I have seen have had such a direct impact on a team. Some just toss the coin and have little influence beyond that as captain.

When he went down this year there was much sorrow within the club because we were on a journey and everyone within the club thought Bob should not only be part of that journey but was a key component of it. Nobody outside the club really knows what influence he had on the team after his injury but we can all see that it was considerable. That cant be denied.

The media then went for it.......They no doubt were over the top much of the time but that's really what they do now. "The package" and Cyril rubbish springs to mind. People need to realise that this is a product of the media and not the individual. Bob already had a media profile through his articles in the age so it was an easy sell for them.

The medal presentation was a coach acknowledging his contribution to the team. It was spur of the moment and something that really should have been enjoyed without all the bashing by outsiders.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I actually think the issue with Bob isn't his doing. The gushing over him in the media was way overcooked.

From my point of view it is the gushing Im sick of, not Bob. I would assume its the same for Cyril.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a decent player. Nothing against him really (although he does come across as a bit of a twat most times i see him) but the hype train about him is ridiculous

Bob's a modern great. The love in was a bit frustrating - more so at the Premiership party on the Sunday rather than the GF - but he played a huge role getting the club back on its feet and deserves lots of praise. Really hope he gets to 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back