Bob Murphy possible retirement ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But the funny thing is he never got one. Had he not got injured I doubt the Dogs would've won either. He is a good player but too much figjam about him which has a negative affect on the group.
I would've loved to have seen what we could've done if we didn't have such a negative effect around the group.

But the funny thing is he never got one. Had he not got injured I doubt the Dogs would've won either. He is a good player but too much figjam about him which has a negative affect on the group.

Would make our premiership success all the greater wouldn't it, not only overcoming the travel, the injuries, but also the horribly destabilising influence of Bob "Evil Bastard' Murphy..... Elevates our success this year to all time top of the tree, Bevo should be coach of the millennium etc..... :drunk::rolleyes::eek::p

Just as I thought.

Only hang around long enough to get a premiership medallion?

Soft Bob. Soft.

Lucky you didn't play for my team...you might have had to play another 50 years.

Like pav? He was finished after freo's grand final failure

Isn't his knee healing? You would think he would play with the dogs still in the window.

Good Afl player - champion of his club.

That's about the only reason I can think of. A potential setback that might limit his chances to get on the park for his last year. Unless the win took so much out of him emotionally, he doesn't think he can go again - but I would have thought it would have been as motivating as it was slightly painful not to be out there....

Haha. Of course you had to post a snarky comment on another Bulldogs related thread. Obsessed.

Ok, I'm going to ask because it's been bothering me for a while now.

Can someone please tell me when Murphy went from being a good player to being a champion?

He's never been among the top 10-15 guys in the league - debatable he's ever been the best player at his club that has turned out some pretty average teams (ever won a B&F?), he's gone AA twice, 4 years apart - so not exactly an extended run of excellent form (whether that be for injury or what ever).

He's nearly at 300 games, but he's also been in the league for 16-17 years and plays for club that tends to have a hard time showing the door to it's 'favourite sons'.

Has this 'champion'/'untouchable Bob' just come along hand in hand with the media darling stuff or is he legitimately considered a 'CHAMPION' - even at a Bulldogs level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please tell me when Murphy went from being a good player to being a champion?

He's never been among the top 10-15 guys in the league - debatable he's ever been the best player at his club that has turned out some pretty average teams (ever won a B&F?), he's gone AA twice, 4 years apart - so not exactly an extended run of excellent form (whether that be for injury or what ever).

He's nearly at 300 games, but he's also been in the league for 16-17 years and plays for club that tends to have a hard time showing the door to it's 'favourite sons'.

Has this 'champion'/'untouchable Bob' just come along hand in hand with the media darling stuff or is he legitimately considered a 'CHAMPION' - even at a Bulldogs level?

I'll answer part of this, others can add more.

I think it's the fact that when others (Hi Griff, what are you doing skulking around.....) were fleeing the club, he stepped up and took responsibility and together with the new coaching team led from the front and helped to turn the club around. Sometimes you don't have to be the best player to be the best captain, and sometimes the reverse doesn't always work out....

He clearly loves the club, loves the game and is a little bit different from the average footballer. Sure the media plays this up a bit, which has helped lift his profile, but he is a genuinely good player. He is quick on his feet, well skilled and was a very important part of the Dogs side - both now and in our previous finals tilts going back a few years. One of the more elegant and stylish HBF's playing in recent years. His leadership both this year and last has probably elevated his status slightly as well.

Missed a few years with the two knee injuries. AA selection tends to reward the better players in the better sides (traditionally dominated by the finals sides), so wasn't likely to get nominated during the Dogs rebuild under Macca.

His form last year suggests that he wasn't nearing the end at that point, and most expected him to cruise past 300 and see where that would end up.

More a combination of player, bloke, recent tv media, massive internal respect at dogs, wrote good articles...
2 x AA pretty decent.
When you are pumped up like he was a few years back (and nobody took exception as he was likeable, dogs were battlers, articles and media work fresh) you are always going to fall. Higher you are, more dramatic the fall. Fans (opposition) are a hard audience.
You own scumbags are good blokes because they wear your jumper. And decent opposition guys are bagged with blinkered vigour.
Murphy is a great bloke. He's just peaked and is now an easy target.
Hope he plays on. His club and fans adore him.

Inb4 main board plebs show a lack of respect for a champion of the game...whoops too late :p
The term champion gets thrown around way to much these days. I can't remember all bobs accomplishments off the top of my head to judge whether he makes it or not.

The term champion gets thrown around way to much these days. I can't remember all bobs accomplishments off the top of my head to judge whether he makes it or not.
My bad 2 time AA and AA captain and pretty much picked my club up off the mat to winning a premiership in two years with the drink.

Very Very Good player and leader of my team**

giphy.gif

He was the All-Australian captain in his most recent full season and he was in excellent form until his knee injury this year- when exactly in his nearly 300 games should he have been shown the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back