Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Seems Nathan has been implicated in a successful betting plunge backed from $101 to $21 to kick the first goal in the round 24 match against the Hawks. Suspended for the first to games next year and cops a $10k fine...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/afl-moves-on-bock-bet-plunge/story-e6frea6u-1226222211690

GOLD Coast defender Nathan Bock has been suspended from the first two rounds of the 2012 AFL season and been fined $10,000 for disclosing he was selected in the forward line in a match this year.
The AFL investigated a successful betting plunge on Bock, a former Adelaide Crows star, to kick the first goal in the round 24 match against Hawthorn.
Bock started up forward for the first time in the year and kicked the opening goal of the match after being backed in from $101 to $21.

Think appears to be an excessive penalty. After all he did not bet and got no gain. I read the AFL statement and it says
"All AFL players, coaches, umpires and officials can be in no doubt that betting on the AFL is prohibited and they can not disclose inside information when it could be used for betting purposes," Mr Anderson said."
So he broke the rules but, in allowing betting on the first goal, the AFL has created an unnatural situation with too many temptations. Just think it is bad.

Think appears to be an excessive penalty. After all he did not bet and got no gain. I read the AFL statement and it says
"All AFL players, coaches, umpires and officials can be in no doubt that betting on the AFL is prohibited and they can not disclose inside information when it could be used for betting purposes," Mr Anderson said."
So he broke the rules but, in allowing betting on the first goal, the AFL has created an unnatural situation with too many temptations. Just think it is bad.

No he is a well known defender so he was given the appropriate odds to play as a defender not as a forward - insider trading, he let others know who would have profitted highly just because "he" didn't place a bet doesn't mean he didn't profit out of it!

You can debate whether the AFL's rules do actually protect the integrity of the game or whether betting agencies should remove exotic bets from it's betting offering however it's difficult to defend Bock on this matter.

Bottom line is the rules are the rules and all players should be fully aware of the rules and the consequences and for me the standard "accidental slip" defense is wearing a little thin

It is alleged that Bock's family won $20,000 from the bet and Bock has admitted to boasting after the game that family and friends had a wager on him @ 100 / 1

Does not sound like a accidental slip to me, "insider trading" in the Corporate World

I've never rated Bock's intelligence :p

Suppose before long, rookies won't be able to let their families know they are debuting that week incase someone bets on them.

I guess his mums legal bills have been paid?

Ouch.

But perhaps losing this guy wasn't so bad after all. Sure he may be one of the game's better CHBs, but he is demonstrating that he has no more common sense than say, Heath Shaw or his genius teammate Campbell Brown. First that domestic assault incident a few years back now this. Dodged a bullet?

Agreed, the hypocrisy is baffling.

Encouraging these sorts of markets is just asking for it really.

Agreed. Betting on particular nuances of the game (first goal etc.) just leaves the game open for manipulation. Get rid of it.

Having said that, any player who either provides inside information or bets on any game deserves everything they get. Bock is an idiot.

Accepting betting agencies as sponsors, whilst simultaneously declaring that betting is a scourge on the sport.

Good work.
Exactly mate.

They're the ones who could make the stand on betting. No more sponsors, no more game day spot betting updates, no more club affiliated betting website.

But they make so much money on it......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accepting betting agencies as sponsors, whilst simultaneously declaring that betting is a scourge on the sport.

Good work.

Spot on.
"Let's broadcast our 15 minute interview with Heath Shaw about his gambling. But first, what are the Centrebet odds Billy?"

It's still no excuse, but the AFL has to decide how seriously they want to be taken re: gambling.

Ouch.

But perhaps losing this guy wasn't so bad after all. Sure he may be one of the game's better CHBs, but he is demonstrating that he has no more common sense than say, Heath Shaw or his genius teammate Campbell Brown. First that domestic assault incident a few years back now this. Dodged a bullet?

He's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed but he's a great CHB and it would be rather stupid to say we "dodged a bullet".

AFL footballers are selected for their ability to play footy, not their morality. I'd rather have an idiot who can play than a model citizen who spuds out.

Good work.

Exactly.

They encourage people to make exotic bets and then cry foul about it's impact on the game - but only when the punter wins.

If you create spot-betting markets, people will bet on them. Simple. If you want to get rid of it or prevent it becoming a problem like in cricket, then remove spot-betting.

Spot betting means AFL players are now unable to disclose their bowel movements to anyone.

Spot On, its gone too far.

Lets say I am a 19 year old rookie in my first year on the list of an AFL club.
I ring my dad on Monday and say "dad, coach reckons Im getting a game on saturday", dad says "what possie you reckon youll play?". I say "forward pocket I reckon".

Dad then strolls down to the TAB and puts a lazy hundred on me at 500 to 1.

Should I be suspended for 2 games and get a $10000 fine?

As far as I am concerned, if the betting agencies want to take these bets then the onus is on them. The possibilities of inside information are enormous and the risk is on the betting agency.

Spot On, its gone too far.

Lets say I am a 19 year old rookie in my first year on the list of an AFL club.
I ring my dad on Monday and say "dad, coach reckons Im getting a game on saturday", dad says "what possie you reckon youll play?". I say "forward pocket I reckon".

Dad then strolls down to the TAB and puts a lazy hundred on me at 500 to 1.

Should I be suspended for 2 games and get a $10000 fine?

As far as I am concerned, if the betting agencies want to take these bets then the onus is on them. The possibilities of inside information are enormous and the risk is on the betting agency.

what if you get a call from John the bookie offering you cash to miss the shot?

I must admit I am sympathetic towards the AFL on their stand with sports betting. Condemning, banning or ignoring betting in sport hasn't worked overseas where there have been massive scandals in cricket, soccer, racing and other sports. Saying that the AFL is at fault for accepting sponsorship and "allowing spot betting" is not understanding the situation in the real world. Betting is legal in Australia.

Sure they have accepted betting agencies as sponsors and work closely with them. But this allows them to monitor betting activity far more closely than they otherwise would. By legitimising betting they have some chance of controlling it.

Nathan knew the rules and ignored them. The AFL has flagged that the penalties will get tougher and tougher. I think he was lucky to get off so lightly. The stakes are too high not to do everything you can to nip insider trading and ultimately, match fixing in the bud.

So its alright for some privileged people to bet or trade on insider information? What about some of the big punters paying someone in the team for this information? Oh, and while your giving out the inside goss on the team, what about setting up Joe Bloggs as often as you can for a shot on goal?

Corruption often starts out small but usually doesn't stay that way.

So its alright for some privileged people to bet or trade on insider information?
Its not OK. But its going to happen no matter waht the AFL do.

What about some of the big punters paying someone in the team for this information?

Has no relevance to this discussion. I would have thought a sackable offence.

Oh, and while your giving out the inside goss on the team, what about setting up Joe Bloggs as often as you can for a shot on goal?
Again, that is corruption (bet fixing) and by law is illegal

I reiterate though, if the betting agencies want to take bets on something that is so open to corruption, not just from players, boot studders, receptionists, cleaners, etc, then more the fool the betting agencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bock -Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back