AFL Toast Bombers by 35 against the Giants!

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Keane‏ @AFL_PKeane
Dylan Buckley can accept $1500 sanction, misconduct against M Guelfi. Willie Rioli can accept $1500 sanction for misconduct against B Hardwick & $1000 sanction for careless contact with umpire R Chamberlain. Brennan Cox can accept $2000 sanction, rough conduct against S Higgins.

Couldn’t let this one go. I had to look it up and see if my meltdown was justified and it was as bad as it looked real time with maggot #7 in perfect position.......and then he paid the free to Shaw for holding a couple of seconds laterView attachment 503697View attachment 503698View attachment 503699View attachment 503700

Thanks for posting - the third quarter was an absolute farce when it came to officiating the game. We got done so badly in that quarter. We would be lamenting the umpires non stop in this thread if we didn't get the W, guarantee it.

Surprisingly though, one of the few times I remember in the last couple years where we got worked over that hard by the men in green and still overcame it. That's probably the most pleasing thing of the outcome vs GWS. Good teams manage to find ways to win even when calls are going against them for a quarter, half or game.

Do umpires have game reviews like the players do.
If so i wonder if the langford non-decision would actually be pointed out asa mistake or they actually get told they had a bad (unfair) game like saturday night...

Or if it is just a big love fest abouut how umpires are integral to the sport and every decision is correct.

Do umpires have game reviews like the players do.
If so i wonder if the langford non-decision would actually be pointed out asa mistake or they actually get told they had a bad (unfair) game like saturday night...

Or if it is just a big love fest abouut how umpires are integral to the sport and every decision is correct.
They certainly have their games reviewed. Missed calls, incorrect calls, positioning, all of it gets reviewed.

Smith got $2k fine for rough conduct against Zac Langdon.... was that the little hit in the pocket? How can Froddo Buckley get $500 less for an intentional headbutt?
I missed the smith one - there were a lot of fines this week

From the match review statement:
Devon Smith, Essendon, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Zac Langdon, GWS Giants, during the second quarter of the Round 10 match between Essendon and the GWS Giants, played at Spotless Stadium on Saturday May 26, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the GWS Giants Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was assessed as a $3000 sanction. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Dylan Buckley, GWS Giants, has been charged with misconduct against Matt Guelfi, Essendon, during the fourth quarter of the Round 10 match between the GWS Giants and Essendon, played at Spotless Stadium on Saturday May 26, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

Misconduct is fixed financial sanction of $2500. The player can accept a $1500 sanction with an early plea.

They certainly have their games reviewed. Missed calls, incorrect calls, positioning, all of it gets reviewed.
I imagine the langford (amongst others) non call wont be missed then.

Hopefully he notices how many soft ones he gave to GWS and then misses those ones. I dont normally rant about umpires but saturday was something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith got $2k fine for rough conduct against Zac Langdon.... was that the little hit in the pocket? How can Froddo Buckley get $500 less for an intentional headbutt?
Because Smith would have been a second offence instead of first.

Fletcher must be kicking himself the amount of times he got banned for an "attempted trip" yet Buckley gets away with a dilberate headbutt.
Make no mistake, Fletch did deliberately trip people a couple of times. There's no need to view Buckley getting off in the context of Fletcher not, like at all.

I agree with Kelvin that Buckley should have been punished more harshly though.

The Buckley one and the Bailey Banfield one should both be appealed by the AFL out of principal. You can't have non football attempts to injure people equated with people throwing a few faux punches.

The message is apparently 'headbutt, but do it lightly' and 'sink your knees into people's backs, but not too hard'

The Buckley one and the Bailey Banfield one should both be appealed by the AFL out of principal. You can't have non football attempts to injure people equated with people throwing a few faux punches.

The message is apparently 'headbutt, but do it lightly' and 'sink your knees into people's backs, but not too hard'

They just need a better way of punishing things that allows a bit more scope.
If they dont want players missing games due to impact but still want to send a message about the act they should just increase the fines.
Things like headbuts, strikes to the head (not spoils actual punches) kneeing, these non footballing acts etc go with a $5000 starting fine. Anything over that is probably hard enough for an actual week off.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Bombers by 35 against the Giants!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back