Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

How many, do you reckon?

Not many is my guess.

it will not be the die hard supporters that often post on here

it will be fringe supporters and families

people over here in perth have already had a gut full. if a weak sentence gets handed down, watch numbers drop over the next 10 years

when i say numbers, i dont just mean game day or tv viewing. i'm talking participation numbers in things like auskick

How many, do you reckon?

Not many is my guess.

Probably the most "at risk of walking away fan group", are the bomber kid supporters, imagine the crap they get at school, or if they wear their strip down the fish shop. Little hasn't thought this through...big ramifications over time

ASADA might extend it beyond that. if the afl takes away 2014. asada could hand down another 2 years on top of that.

how are asada going to ban players when Dank's record keeping was non-existant? what players do they place a ban on and what players do they not place a ban on? watch them get away with it because of that....the penalty must surely be on the club not the players. Watson is the only one who has admitted to it

Probably the most "at risk of walking away fan group", are the bomber kid supporters, imagine the crap they get at school, or if they wear their strip down the fish shop. Little hasn't thought this through...big ramifications over time

surely the most at risk group would be crows supporters...I was already on the verge after the farcical behaviour of our club and the AFL over the last couple of years but this will push me over the edge....

surely the most at risk group would be crows supporters...I was already on the verge after the farcical behaviour of our club and the AFL over the last couple of years but this will push me over the edge....

Crows have being buggered over.

it's apparent that the AFL is still the VFL in terms of admin

If everything that was written in the charges report was factual then this penalty of only a 12 month suspension for Hird is a joke. Hird should be kicked out of the game for good for his level of involvement in this and how much he knew about what was going on.... where's the player welfare ffs?! Draft picks should be taken as well as points and it damn well should stretch into 2014 and possibly beyond otherwise it's far too lenient and almost makes it worth the risk if the AFL are this easy to push around and make "deals" with.

From a spectators point of view this scandal has already opened my eyes and put questions in my mind about the path this great sport is heading down. I am constantly wondering now how many other clubs are "pushing the boundaries" and testing uncharted waters to gain an edge over their competitors. It's been speculated already about Collingwood and West Coast being biologically enhanced and are the ones to catch plus the wonder about Geelong's dynasty and whether that's true or not to me as a lover of AFL football it's put a massive question mark over the fairness of this game Ive loved for a lot of years. What happened to hard work and dedication to become an elite athlete?
Im no ignoramus, I understand there are always supplements used to recover or replenish the bodies of these players as far as vitamins, glucose levels etc.... you know the normal stuff but the shit that seems to be becoming "normal" is downright scary and unethical IMO. Now after all this Essendon crap being publicised it's taught me that not only Essendon but every club is intent on pushing the limits as far as possible (you have to if other clubs are) and who knows who are gaining an advantage with new drugs, new loopholes, new masking agents etc etc and it's not what I want to hear!

I love the competitive nature of sport where two teams or two individuals go at it head to head and battle it out for supremacy and winning because one team has a better game plan, a better skills coach, a better 'legally acquired' fitness base etc etc NOT because one teams supplements/drugs/masking agents are better than the others.

If Essendon are guilty of the charges outlined then the AFL need to send a hard message to all clubs that this is not where our game needs to go... They need to set the precedent NOW!

I want to be able to enjoy footy again without wondering who's on what. As a spectator of the best sport in the world I NEED to believe that the penalties for going down this path are so severe that no club would dare to step into this area ever again. The best sport is a fair sport and one that doesn't think it's ok to inject 18 - 30yr olds (or 45yr olds in Fletchers case) with exotic substances from shady characters that are more suited for dogs and horses.

It's time to put a massive detour sign up and block this path for the good of the game.

/rant

how are asada going to ban players when Dank's record keeping was non-existant? what players do they place a ban on and what players do they not place a ban on? watch them get away with it because of that....the penalty must surely be on the club not the players. Watson is the only one who has admitted to it

This is why i believe the players will get off it's probable ASADA knows TB4 was injected but cannot prove whom or who was injected by it.

This is why i believe the players will get off it's probable ASADA knows TB4 was injected but cannot prove whom or who was injected by it.
If they can prove it was at least injected into the players with or without evidence of specific individuals then the whole team should be suspended. Its a harsh penalty but one that needs to be pushed or else it makes a mockery of the WADA code.

I'll be extremely surprised if players don't cop bans.

It's amazing what damage an out of control ego when surrounded by yes men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they can prove it was at least injected into the players with or without evidence of specific individuals then the whole team should be suspended. Its a harsh penalty but one that needs to be pushed or else it makes a mockery of the WADA code.

i believe ACC is investigating whether or not fraud occurred due to essendon questioning the numbers on the invoice

so people like dank will be given two options:
1) the numbers on the invoice are correct and were administered to the players, OR
2) fraud occurred, which means jail time.

Won't matter, precedence is set that in the absence of detailed personal records, circumstantial proof will be used leverage penalties against all players in the team.

If the penalties being mooted here are accurate it's an absolute joke. It's essentially a one match ban. They were most likely going to get absolutely smashed in week 1, then Thompson (who's a better coach than Hird) coaches for a year plus a fine that will hardly cripple such a big club. Hird should be gone for life. Enough with the "we aren't drug cheats"...why is the AFL giving ground on this?

My understanding is that Thymosin Beta 4 was included on the consent forms signed by the players (Essendon nor Dank didn't realise it was banned).

That is all WADA need to send a bloke to suspension for 2 years. You don't have to have taken the drug to be guilty.

If the penalties being mooted here are accurate it's an absolute joke. It's essentially a one match ban. They were most likely going to get absolutely smashed in week 1, then Thompson (who's a better coach than Hird) coaches for a year plus a fine that will hardly cripple such a big club. Hird should be gone for life. Enough with the "we aren't drug cheats"...why is the AFL giving ground on this?

It is because AD loves Essendon, which is why they want this punishment so that next year will proceed as normal. Essendon will keep all their blockbusters including Anzac day.

AN
It is because AD loves Essendon, which is why they want this punishment so that next year will proceed as normal. Essendon will keep all their blockbusters including Anzac day.
ANZAC day game was a Bombers home match this year so should be Collingwood home game next year. NO fuss for me if they let Essendon play next year but not if they give the Bombers this revenue spinner. Would rather play Richmond anyway.

Compare this to what Adelaide got, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people. I wonder if afl would be so lenient if it was a non Victorian club. People talk about nrl loving this, bugger that. Soccer is loving it. At least they boot their teams out of leagues see Rangers in Scottish league. Importance of rangers to Scottish league is a lot more than any team to afl and yet they did it for the good of the game. And their only crime was going bankrupt.

Cult of Hird I think I've found another follower for you.:rolleyes:

If everything that was written in the charges report was factual then this penalty of only a 12 month suspension for Hird is a joke. Hird should be kicked out of the game for good for his level of involvement in this and how much he knew about what was going on.... where's the player welfare ffs?! Draft picks should be taken as well as points and it damn well should stretch into 2014 and possibly beyond otherwise it's far too lenient and almost makes it worth the risk if the AFL are this easy to push around and make "deals" with.

From a spectators point of view this scandal has already opened my eyes and put questions in my mind about the path this great sport is heading down. I am constantly wondering now how many other clubs are "pushing the boundaries" and testing uncharted waters to gain an edge over their competitors. It's been speculated already about Collingwood and West Coast being biologically enhanced and are the ones to catch plus the wonder about Geelong's dynasty and whether that's true or not to me as a lover of AFL football it's put a massive question mark over the fairness of this game Ive loved for a lot of years. What happened to hard work and dedication to become an elite athlete?
Im no ignoramus, I understand there are always supplements used to recover or replenish the bodies of these players as far as vitamins, glucose levels etc.... you know the normal stuff but the shit that seems to be becoming "normal" is downright scary and unethical IMO. Now after all this Essendon crap being publicised it's taught me that not only Essendon but every club is intent on pushing the limits as far as possible (you have to if other clubs are) and who knows who are gaining an advantage with new drugs, new loopholes, new masking agents etc etc and it's not what I want to hear!

I love the competitive nature of sport where two teams or two individuals go at it head to head and battle it out for supremacy and winning because one team has a better game plan, a better skills coach, a better 'legally acquired' fitness base etc etc NOT because one teams supplements/drugs/masking agents are better than the others.

If Essendon are guilty of the charges outlined then the AFL need to send a hard message to all clubs that this is not where our game needs to go... They need to set the precedent NOW!

I want to be able to enjoy footy again without wondering who's on what. As a spectator of the best sport in the world I NEED to believe that the penalties for going down this path are so severe that no club would dare to step into this area ever again. The best sport is a fair sport and one that doesn't think it's ok to inject 18 - 30yr olds (or 45yr olds in Fletchers case) with exotic substances from shady characters that are more suited for dogs and horses.

It's time to put a massive detour sign up and block this path for the good of the game.

/rant
Great Post !

Personally , i have always had suspicions over the rapid body shape change of the Geelong players at the start of their reign .

No point taking points off them in 2014.
Also not point taking draft picks off them for the next 2 years...

Why?

Well WHEN the players are handed their infraction notices on a variety of drugs, most of the 2012 playing list WILL received a penalty of minimum 1 year and likely 2 years per palyer. If AFL go soft and prescribe penalty of only 1 year then WADA will appeal to CAS. 4 or more infraction notices should see the Club deregistered from the AFL for minimum 2 years. The world is watching people...AFL is the peoples game of Australia, the AFL cannot go soft on this!

2014 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2015 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2016 - EFC reinstated back into AFL (if they are still in existence due to onoging litigation from players, families & regulators) enter the draft with all their picks but get their draft picks at the end of rounds.

2017 - As above all draft pick but end of the rounds.

2018 - As above except first round pick still at end of round.

2019 - Back to normal without any restrictions.

Goneski!
Wow, pretty harsh Maddog, but I cannot bring myself to disagree. It might destroy the Essendon club, which is another reason I do not disagree.

The one thing which should be non negotiable is life bans for Hird and Corcoran.

I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit with other penalties. Essendon have already paid a major price, this has completely ruined an otherwise promising season. They also have a monster sword of Damocles hanging over their head in the form of WADA and ASADA sanctions, which could literally cripple the club for the foreseeable future. With that in mind, I wouldn't be horrified if the AFL gave the club a largely symbolic penalty (say strip them of points this year and make them draft as if they'd finished 1st) and just let them take their chances with WADA/ASADA. If the AFL give essendon a major draft pick penalty next year and WADA/ASADA pile mass suspensions on top of that, it could really put then on the brink of continued existence.

But the one thing the AFL really must do is send a message that anyone who behaves as recklessly with their players safety as Hird has done, and been so disgraceful unrepentant thereafter, should never, ever be welcome around an AFL club again, not in 12 months, but for life. They need to send a message that player safety comes first, and send it in such an unmistakable form that no off field person, from coach, to the boot studder, will ever be prepared to risk their own career by pushing the boundaries. Do that, and have the board at essendon accept and endorse it, and then you can be a bit more lenient with the club.

The more I think about it the more I think that is the right way to go. It sends an unmistakable message that even the most deluded of essendon fanbois can't ignore, and it makes commercial sense because it doesn't crush the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back