Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing which should be non negotiable is life bans for Hird and Corcoran.

I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit with other penalties. Essendon have already paid a major price, this has completely ruined an otherwise promising season.

Play with fire and you get burned. They should have been suspended from playing out this season AND all of 2014.

Wasn't Danks at Geelong?? Say no more....

NO for the last ****ing time NO.

Robinson, who also worked at Geelong with Thompson, is understood to have attempted to introduce Dank to the Cats. He organised a meeting with Dank in Sydney that was attended by the Cats' senior football official Steve Hocking while Dank was working at NRL club Manly. Hocking is believed to have chosen, after that meeting, not to continue the association.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/dons-did-not-check-dank-20130315-2g69u.html#ixzz2cshzGDcB

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/02/07/358819_gfc.html

According to one source, who did not want to be named when contacted yesterday, Geelong was subjected to intense target testing by ASADA the moment it started its amazing winning run in 2007.

"This team was suddenly winning everything and I guess ASADA thought 'what's going on here?'," the source said of the 2007 season, which ultimately yielded the club a drought-breaking premiership.

"ASADA had drug testers there all the time, but there was certainly nothing sinister behind what we were doing. Do the simple things well was the philosophy and it was very, very simple what we were doing."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/02/07/358819_gfc.html

According to one source, who did not want to be named when contacted yesterday, Geelong was subjected to intense target testing by ASADA the moment it started its amazing winning run in 2007.

"This team was suddenly winning everything and I guess ASADA thought 'what's going on here?'," the source said of the 2007 season, which ultimately yielded the club a drought-breaking premiership.

"ASADA had drug testers there all the time, but there was certainly nothing sinister behind what we were doing. Do the simple things well was the philosophy and it was very, very simple what we were doing."

As Dick Pound said, 'if you get caught you fail two tests, a drug test and an IQ test.'

There's no credibility in the no positive tests argument. Try a different approach.

As Dick Pound said, 'if you get caught you fail two tests, a drug test and an IQ test.'

There's no credibility in the no positive tests argument. Try a different approach.
Yep buy Tyler Hamilton said, the longer you are doping, the more likelihood you will get caught. Because it takes a lot of time and energy to evade and outwit the testers and at some point, you make a mistake. They all test positive at some point in the cycling world.
Anyway Dick Pound lol-have you read Olympic Babylon?

Yep buy Tyler Hamilton said, the longer you are doping, the more likelihood you will get caught. Because it takes a lot of time and energy to evade and outwit the testers and at some point, you make a mistake. They all test positive at some point in the cycling world.
Anyway Dick Pound lol-have you read Olympic Babylon?

No I haven't read that.

Statistically less than 2% ever get caught.

And when you think about it, grown men are being jabbed a few times a week in the stomach and taking it without asking "whats this" FFS, are they that thick?

Got a sample size for that there study? Honestly it seems like a bit of a horse shit survey. Just some dudes asking others a question apparently. No scientific method whatsoever. It is of interest to know when it was replicated recently only 2 of the 212 respondents said yes....

https://www.ethicshare.org/node/748258

I believe the figures your referencing are when the survey was done to the general population to compare the difference in attitude to athletes. Sample size is mentioned in my sig, 100. Survey was conducted randomly biannually for 13 odd years. It's quite a famous survey surprised you haven't heard of it. Not without controversy but it has been replicated numerous times. The positive thing is that with better education the results have come down over the years but still significant.

But of course there's nothing like real world conditions to replicate a trial, for that look no further than cycling. Numerous deaths occurred from using epo, same in soccer. But try and find a cyclist that hasn't used epo over the last 20 odd years, pretty short list I'm guessing. Cyclists took to sleeping with heart monitors, but kept using epo despite the publicised deaths. Goldman dilemma in practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a sports scientist and its nigh on impossible to actually find the data first hand not just referenced elsewhere. But I digress I don't really see how this proves Geelong were up to any escapades, nor any other club for that matter. I find it hard to believe other clubs were up to the same thing. But hey even if they were I doubt they endangered their players like the Dons did by injecting ****ing MS drugs from Mexico. That sort of behaviour is stupider than Dora the explorer.

One more thing, baseball aside drug use in team sports is generally lower than individual sports (here I see cycling as an individual sport)?

Thanks for the heads up on the Goldman Dilemma, who says you don't learn anything on Teh Bigfootiez. :thumbsu:

https://www.ethicshare.org/node/748258
The positive thing is that with better education the results have come down over the years but still significant.

I agree thats an amazing study; but I don't see how education could possibly change the results one way or another. Thats more a life philosophy rather than born out of ignorance.

I agree thats an amazing study; but I don't see how education could possibly change the results one way or another. Thats more a life philosophy rather than born out of ignorance.

Maybe its a self esteem thing, i.e. you are more than just an athlete.

I agree, but that seems to be the explanation they provide for variances.
Personally I dont buy it; I havent read the study but they would want to offer some damned good insight as to why.

I imagine shifts in culture and life expectations; particularily woth regards to increased life expectancy, would have had a far greater impact than 'education'.

Education only effects behavior inspired by ignorance, and I often see it thrown up as a solution to problems which seem to have no grounds for it. Often, it is a cop out.

I am sharing an opinion if course; i'm not arguing with you and assuming you agree with the study.

I'm not a sports scientist and its nigh on impossible to actually find the data first hand not just referenced elsewhere. But I digress I don't really see how this proves Geelong were up to any escapades, nor any other club for that matter. I find it hard to believe other clubs were up to the same thing. But hey even if they were I doubt they endangered their players like the Dons did by injecting ******* MS drugs from Mexico. That sort of behaviour is stupider than Dora the explorer.

One more thing, baseball aside drug use in team sports is generally lower than individual sports (here I see cycling as an individual sport)?

Thanks for the heads up on the Goldman Dilemma, who says you don't learn anything on Teh Bigfootiez. :thumbsu:

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-be-prisoners-different-game-athletes-dilemma

http://www.sportsgrid.com/sports-po...lemma-game-theory-hgh-tyson-gay-asafa-powell/

Here's a couple of articles explaining game theory in relation to sports doping, the second analyses the first in relation team sports in America.

I rather not talk in accusatory tones about geelong or anyone else as it's not helpful. Yes essendon is unique in so much as it was a dank experiment, but doping does go on and it is wide spread. The logic dictates it. The anti doping regime encourages it. The likelihood of being caught is so small that you cannot trust your opponent not too, and there is no way that you can compete against someone who's doping. To that extent clean athletes get weeded out, they don't make the cut, natural selection at work.

I think there's an article on the conversion giving statistics on the likelihood of getting caught. From memory if an athlete continuously dopes and is tested once a week there's a 30% chance of getting caught with the narrow window of detectability, it drops to 2.8% if tested monthly. Keep in mind that continuous use doesn't occur its in cycles so in reality its lower. This seems to correspond with research from professor yasalis who's research says less than 2 % of athletes ever get caught.

Now in the afl there's around 1000 tests annually, which basically comes to a little over one test per player per year. In effect the chance of getting caught based on the above stats would be a fraction of a percent. For me the question isn't do they take peds, rather why wouldn't they. They have no problem taking cocaine, all downside, but with peds its all upside. It's a logical conclusion.

Personally I dont buy it; I havent read the study but they would want to offer some damned good insight as to why.

I imagine shifts in culture and life expectations; particularily woth regards to increased life expectancy, would have had a far greater impact than 'education'.

Education only effects behavior inspired by ignorance, and I often see it thrown up as a solution to problems which seem to have no grounds for it. Often, it is a cop out.

I am sharing an opinion if course; i'm not arguing with you and assuming you agree with the study.

I have no issue with the study as it's illustrating a point, the explanation of variances im not so sure. From memory it wasn't general education but education into drugs, no need to enter into a bargain if you know there's drugs that won't kill you I'm guessing. I'm not sure though I'd need to read it again.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/E...arch_Projects/2010/Connor_Project_Summary.pdf

Sorry my mistake, wada are replicating the study and have hypothesised that the rates will drop due to education. Brain not working.

Tall poppy syndrome is a horrible thing.

We're not the ones suffering from two years' worth of lost draft picks as a result of salary cap cheating.

It's not tall poppy syndrome at all , it was an observation in 2006-07 .

Not bitter over the crows punishmnent , we deserved it for being stupid and stretching the rules .
Now the Bombers punishment must fit the crime.

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...-be-prisoners-different-game-athletes-dilemma

http://www.sportsgrid.com/sports-po...lemma-game-theory-hgh-tyson-gay-asafa-powell/

Now in the afl there's around 1000 tests annually, which basically comes to a little over one test per player per year. In effect the chance of getting caught based on the above stats would be a fraction of a percent. For me the question isn't do they take peds, rather why wouldn't they. They have no problem taking cocaine, all downside, but with peds its all upside. It's a logical conclusion.

Interesting analysis.
We can see in cycling that it reached a point where you had to dope if you wanted to compete, and more than likely, that's the case in Athletics, etc.
With the latter sport, it's a more individual pursuit, with an AFL club, we're talking about 45 footballers, with almost that many in support staff.
So is it really possible to sustain a team-wide regime with no one ever finding out about it?
I'm doubtful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back