Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

If everything that was written in the charges report was factual then this penalty of only a 12 month suspension for Hird is a joke. Hird should be kicked out of the game for good for his level of involvement in this and how much he knew about what was going on.... where's the player welfare ffs?! Draft picks should be taken as well as points and it damn well should stretch into 2014 and possibly beyond otherwise it's far too lenient and almost makes it worth the risk if the AFL are this easy to push around and make "deals" with.

It's time to put a massive detour sign up and block this path for the good of the game.

/rant
Sorry to cut your quote short, it's not because I didn't read or think you're right, but I didn't want to requote the whole post.

You are absolutely right that when this is proven, Hird needs to be hit VERY hard for his involvement, however we need to remember that these are strictly for the bringing the game into disrepute charges. I don't believe it is the AFL's job to immediately hit the individuals or clubs with bans relating to the actual drug use or administration. The ASADA process still needs to be completed, and official infractions issued before that happens, and as long as the club is being punished for the poor governance to keep the finals clean for now, that is good enough for me.

Remember, that officials of the club are also covered under the Anti Doping Code, and his involvement will be considered when it comes to the administration and setup of the program, and once the official notices are issued for this, then is the time to hit the hardest.

For those thinking Adelaide got gipped compared with Essendon you need to remember that the Crows received draft penalties because they tampered with the draft. It was an eye for an eye.
Essendon's penalties are completely different and can't be compared.
And Essendon showed they can't be trusted with the health of young men. When the mother of one of them is that angry would anyone want their sons drafted by them?

how are asada going to ban players when Dank's record keeping was non-existant? what players do they place a ban on and what players do they not place a ban on? watch them get away with it because of that....the penalty must surely be on the club not the players. Watson is the only one who has admitted to it
They have consent forms. They can ban the whole team.

If the penalties being mooted here are accurate it's an absolute joke. It's essentially a one match ban. They were most likely going to get absolutely smashed in week 1, then Thompson (who's a better coach than Hird) coaches for a year plus a fine that will hardly cripple such a big club. Hird should be gone for life. Enough with the "we aren't drug cheats"...why is the AFL giving ground on this?

So that the truth doesn't get out.

reckon the afl will go easy on draft pick sanctions if there's likely to be player bans- otherwise essendon may as well shut up shop. be a long way back from 2 years of no good picks plus 12+ players sitting out for 6-12 months and all the other trimmings.
IF no players get banned though, then not getting any draft punishment seems soft compared to what other teams have got.
i can't see the afl going soft on this one though- too many eyes on them

So that the truth doesn't get out.

Hird's Supreme Court action would have to be pulled for that to happen. If I was the AFL I would tell them to get flicked; they had there chance to play ball the AFL way and chose not to. Let them see what happens when you pull away from suckling the protective teat of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird's Supreme Court action would have to be pulled for that to happen. If I was the AFL I would tell them to get flicked; they had there chance to play ball the AFL way and chose not to. Let them see what happens when you pull away from suckling the protective teat of the AFL.

Hird has gone rogue.

Image if hird with charter and dank told all, how many clubs have those two been tied to. The fallout would be devastating. Hird will withdraw his action, they're taking the weekend to talk him round. He's narcissism is what got to this point and makes him to unpredictable in a court setting, needs to be neutralised.

i believe ACC is investigating whether or not fraud occurred due to essendon questioning the numbers on the invoice

so people like dank will be given two options:
1) the numbers on the invoice are correct and were administered to the players, OR
2) fraud occurred, which means jail time.

So you'd be happy for Dank to opt for no. 1 to save himself jail time and have Essendon players receive 2 year bans for no reason?

Hird has gone rogue.

Image if hird with charter and dank told all, how many clubs have those two been tied to. The fallout would be devastating. Hird will withdraw his action, they're taking the weekend to talk him round. He's narcissism is what got to this point and makes him to unpredictable in a court setting, needs to be neutralised.

Going to be hard to bury a story that the media have their talons so tight around. I completely see your point though.

Loose points - everyone's expecting it and can be considered by many as not much of a big penalty. Reality however is that history will reflect EFC as the first club to do so, finish wooden spoon and therefore close its opportunity to play finals. Doesn't sound so good if you think about it for a while.

Fine - we'll EFC are a rich club but still have a $5M debt on their new facility so (say) a $2.5M fine is billed. That's still another half on top of their current debt, so not to cheap in reality.

Draft picks - for me this is the hanger. These are especially relevant if EFC is not allowed to trade back in this year, this is the key. Their list of 'extra' talls is pretty good and I think they could get themselves back into this year if they are allowed to trade players for picks. However the 2014 draft would be a lot tougher for them. My preference is no trade back for the club this year, so it legitimately hurts.

HR - well loose your coach, senior assistant couch, footy mgr and club doctor for next preseason will all be pretty tough. With Bris, Melb, Haw, Coll and probably West Coast all looking for Footy Management and Coaching staff the search won't be easy and will make for a pretty tough year next year in more ways than one. All manageable but a hell of a lot of work to put everything back in place I'd think.

So on the whole if this what the AFL are presenting then I think it should tick the public perception box as okay i.e. EFC basically loose the outcome of a full season. As for EFC they will obviously loath the draft pick situation, as reported, however I personally think they would be getting off pretty light.

I think the only player who is in jeopardy from ASADA at the moment will be Watson - not just because he admitted it to ASADA but because he's the reigning Brownlow medalist and has embarrassed himself, the AFL, EFC and WADA on national TV. Also while I think his Dad has tried to help him, he too has done him more harm than good on the PR point. People think he's a drug cheat and justice will need to be done, but more importantly seen to be done - just my opinion.

I wonder what happens if Hird is serving a 12 month ban and then during that ban the players receive infraction notices?

It was Bomber Thompson who was saying they will all go if the players receive infractions and the way it looks they probably will.

Sorry to cut your quote short, it's not because I didn't read or think you're right, but I didn't want to requote the whole post.

You are absolutely right that when this is proven, Hird needs to be hit VERY hard for his involvement, however we need to remember that these are strictly for the bringing the game into disrepute charges. I don't believe it is the AFL's job to immediately hit the individuals or clubs with bans relating to the actual drug use or administration. The ASADA process still needs to be completed, and official infractions issued before that happens, and as long as the club is being punished for the poor governance to keep the finals clean for now, that is good enough for me.

Remember, that officials of the club are also covered under the Anti Doping Code, and his involvement will be considered when it comes to the administration and setup of the program, and once the official notices are issued for this, then is the time to hit the hardest.

Is this just stage 1 to make sure Essendon don't play finals and don't get draft picks? Perhaps Little has been told play ball now and when the big penalties come we (AFL) will try to make sure Essendon survive. Don't play ball now and we will simply follow ASADA recommendations at Stage 2.

I don't think the AFL would want a top draft pick contesting being drafted to EFC, it may be a reason they are pressing to take away draft picks.

Is this just stage 1 to make sure Essendon don't play finals and don't get draft picks? Perhaps Little has been told play ball now and when the big penalties come we (AFL) will try to make sure Essendon survive. Don't play ball now and we will simply follow ASADA recommendations at Stage 2.

This is the only thing I can think of. I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

AN

ANZAC day game was a Bombers home match this year so should be Collingwood home game next year. NO fuss for me if they let Essendon play next year but not if they give the Bombers this revenue spinner. Would rather play Richmond anyway.

The Anzac day game is more than just a money spinner. It is probably the most high profile game after the Grand Final.
It is what Anzac day represents in our culture that is important and I do not think that Essendon should play on this day. It would be an insult to all who have died defending our nation.

Hird has gone rogue.

Would take this to another level if Hird or Dank got 'knocked', makes you wonder how deep this Charters character runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back