Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

they havent done anything criminal...

personally, i dont think AOD-whatever seems like all that much of a performance enhancer. id say the punishments being discussed are about right, maybe a few draft picks should be lost as well.
It's not whether it's performance enhancing it's about the long term effects on the players.

Who will coach in 2014?
Won't be able to afford a big name.
Harvey? Goodwin?
Harvey counted himself out of the Lions race didnt he? He may have thought this was coming.
Goodwin is a possibility. Which is odd, cos I thought he wouldn't survive this
Sheedy is unlikely. Though he is the person you would turn to in this sort of situation
Roos would wait to see the outcomes of ASADA to see if he inherits a ready made team.

Choco is my bet though.

Gillon McLachlan about to nuke Hird out of existence by leaking more alegations that will put the AFL world in another head spin if Hird doesn't accept penalties. *popcorn*

i dont think so... if it was heroin they had imported themselves, yes definitely.

not positive about this AOD drug, but i dont think have broken any laws. unethical and stupid, yeah; criminal, i really dont think so.
You don't have a problem using someone else's medication on the players and not even knowing what it is?

Since when could you negotiate a punishment anyway?

The AFL are pathetic if they are allowing to do that.

Its like asking them would you rather lose draft picks or have Hird cop a ban? The choice shouldn't the up to them.

It is pretty ridiculous - the way the AFL operates is investigate, lay charges, negotiate penalty on lesser charges, forego hearing. Really nothing should occur until the Bombres front the Commission hearing to plead their case and once charges are found to have occurred decide the penalty.

It is pretty ridiculous - the way the AFL operates is investigate, lay charges, negotiate penalty on lesser charges, forego hearing. Really nothing should occur until the Bombres front the Commission hearing to plead their case and once charges are found to have occurred decide the penalty.

Your right and it is what frustrates many.

The backroom dealing that immediately follows investigations based on "bringing the game into disrepute". Ironic.

The AFL has had a timeline for a couple of months at least now to have this wrapped up before the end of August. Probably why we have seen interim reports, reworded charge lists and more about faces then we care to consider. Bearing this in mind you can see the grounds for Hird's denied natural justice viewpoint (not that it won't ultimately affect his innocence or guilt).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point taking points off them in 2014.
Also not point taking draft picks off them for the next 2 years...

Why?

Well WHEN the players are handed their infraction notices on a variety of drugs, most of the 2012 playing list WILL received a penalty of minimum 1 year and likely 2 years per palyer. If AFL go soft and prescribe penalty of only 1 year then WADA will appeal to CAS. 4 or more infraction notices should see the Club deregistered from the AFL for minimum 2 years. The world is watching people...AFL is the peoples game of Australia, the AFL cannot go soft on this!

2014 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2015 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2016 - EFC reinstated back into AFL (if they are still in existence due to onoging litigation from players, families & regulators) enter the draft with all their picks but get their draft picks at the end of rounds.

2017 - As above all draft pick but end of the rounds.

2018 - As above except first round pick still at end of round.

2019 - Back to normal without any restrictions.

Goneski!

Why?

Well WHEN they are handed multiple infractions arross a variety of drugs and most of the 2012 playing list - likely penalty minimum 1 year and likely 2 years per palyer. 4 or more infraction notices should see the Club deregistered from the AFL for minimum 2 years.

2014 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2015 - Banned from AFL competition. VFL team allowed. EFC to honour all player contracts.

2016 - EFC reinstated back into AFL (if they are still in existence due to onoging litigation from players, families & regulators) enter the draft with all their picks but get their draft picks at the end of rounds.

2017 - As above except first round pick still at end of round.

2018 - Back to normal without any restrictions.

Goneski!
No way.

Why?

Well WHEN they are handed multiple infractions arross a variety of drugs and most of the 2012 playing list - likely penalty minimum 1 year and likely 2 years per palyer. 4 or more infraction notices should see the Club deregistered from the AFL for minimum 2 years.

2017 - As above except first round pick still at end of round.

2018 - Back to normal without any restrictions.

Goneski!

That's what it looks like after infractions. It's actually four years based on WADA Code matrix that could be minimised to two years. Potentially life ban based on the thousands of doses these athletes consumed. But as far as I can see this is what we are facing only IF the ASADA report is in sync with AFL charge sheet. No chance any club can recover from that.

Suggest you read the AFL anti doping code in detail and their committment to apply the WADA code in Good Faith! Suggest you focus on the penalties section for players and officials. Then read the WADA code.

I should add that the Hird and those in the know will and should receive LIFE bans. Cannot see how they can't!

What I think should be done

Hird fired.
Loss of 1st round picks 2013-15
Loss of 2nd round picks 2013-14
Loss of 3rd round pick 2013
Start 2014 on -88 points. Total rolls over season to season until they're in the positive. (So if they finish 5-17 in 2014, they start 2015 on -68 points, then 2-19 in 2015, start 2016 on -60 etc.)
Until they get into positive points, their 1st round pick would be end of 1st round.

(Not including player punishments as WADA can deal with that)

Now what I would have done.
Essendon license revoked, they can go play VFL/VAFA if they want to exist.
Tasmania given license.

Mine is
James Hird 2 year ban, increased to life if players infracted
Danny Corcoran 2 year ban, increased to life if players infracted
Bomber Thompson 6 month ban, increased to 1 year if players infracted
Dr Bruce Reid 2 year ban, increased to life if players infracted

Essendon
-fined $2m
- Removed from entire draft for two years, 3rd year they enter at the end of each round (based on the Carlton experience, last thing we want to do is reward Essendon with number 1 picks immediately)
- Are forbidden to trade players for better draft picks

If Players are infracted
- Initial $2m fine doubled to $4m
- All Essendon players listed not infracted are made free agents for 2013/2014, Essendon receive no compensation for any players wanting to leave.
- Start next season on -80 points and rolls over year after year till they work it off, can not receive a top ten draft pick until its worked off.

My Reasons
This punishment has to be such a huge deterrent that any club in the future that wishes to contemplate doing what Essendon have done thinks twice. The last thing the AFL should be doing is providing a soft precedent. I don't think they are because Essendon would have cut and run by now. The fact they are refusing to agree to a deal at this stage says they aren't happy with the severity of the punishment.

These penalties are a joke if its true, but Caro has been spot on so far, so it's a pathetic slap on the wrist.

Yep and it shows that all the people screaming that the Crows got off lightly were very very wrong. It's a disgrace that Essendon with their drug cheating program get off virtually scott free and yet the Crows have, and continue to be, punished without mercy. If you want to know what the difference between a South Australian club and a Victorian club is then look no further

Like they never cheated the salary cap either.

Rest assured HBF, they will be the pariah of the AFL community for the next 10 years, at a minimum. They will not live this down. The view will always be that they cheated, that the used banned drugs and PEDs to fast track their strength and conditioning base. Worse, the view will also be that the board, supported by mindless supporters were more concerned about the PR than the health of the players.
We know 30+ players took AOD, Thymosin beta 4 and whole lot of other things. Until all of those players leave league football everything the club does is tainted.

Just wondering exactly who you want to punish. Dank is gone. Robinson is gone. Evans is gone. Robson is gone. Looking increasingly likely that Hird will go. Most agree that the players are victims. We should and almost certainly will miss finals. Who is left. What is represented by "the club" All those who should be held accountable have lost the jobs in unpleasant circumstances.
The club is bigger then the individual, the club should and needs to be punished. You can't just sack those involved and think you can get off Scott free.

I honestly think some people don't want this to be over. It reminds me of that scene from Forrest Gump when he decides to stop running and everyone is pissed at him because they don't know what they are going to do now.

No finals 2013
No 1st or 2nd round picks for two years
Gazillion dollar fine (pick a number, who cares)
6 month in season ban for Hird and pals.
Any kind of ban for the Four Amino's will effectively end their careers. 6 months or 600 years it really doesn't matter

Then we wait and see if ASADA does anything to the players. I doubt anything will happen though. Do people really feel the players should be punished? I wouldn't be suprised if ASADA is shredding just as many documents as the Bombers. They have been very average and I'm sure they have a bit to hide.

Time to move on people.

Am I the only person who thinks the draft picks is irrelevant?
WADA will cripple them beyond belief that even if they do manage to get 10 1st round picks, they'll be irrelevant for the next 10 years anyway.

And only a 12 month suspension? pffft, maybe add a 0 to the end of that and I might accept it.

And out of finals? **** off, way to take the fun out of Port vs Carlton. Just made that game irrelevant. I hope you compensate Port accordingly as this will probably mean 5-10k less in their rd 23 match.

mate if you think WADA will rove anything against them you're a fool....draft picks irrelevant? are you really a crows fan??

they havent done anything criminal...

personally, i dont think AOD-whatever seems like all that much of a performance enhancer. id say the punishments being discussed are about right, maybe a few draft picks should be lost as well.

wtf? so you must think that the crows were r*ped? we didn't breach the salary cap and we promised to underwrite a sponsorship deal but never actually did it and we lost draft picks for two years!!!! please tell me you were high when you typed this....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back