Bombers under fire

Remove this Banner Ad

sikmoe

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
MATTHEW Knights’ ascension to the top job at Essendon has ushered in a new era of brutal honesty at Windy Hill which Matthew Lloyd says can only help the club as it looks to climb up the ladder next season.

The Essendon skipper is participating in his first pre-season not overseen by former mentor Kevin Sheedy and says the differences in their respective approaches have been striking.

“We probably haven’t been honest enough with each other over the years because we were a bit worried about hurting players’ feelings,” Lloyd said from Windy Hill on Tuesday.

“We do probably meet a lot more often [now], we watch a lot more training, we go through things that players won’t be doing. It think everyone’s taken on board that we just need to get better, so [I’m] just happy to keep pushing the messages he’s looking for.

“It’s been fantastic, I think, for all the guys. Whether you’re in your first year or your 10th or 11th, you’ve got to prove yourself all over again, everyone’s not sure whether they’ll be there come round one and we’ve all got different roles that different players will be playing, so there’s a great vibe.

“I think everyone just saw with losing a player of Mark Johnson’s quality and Kepler Bradley who [is just] a 21-year-old that he’s not going to tolerate anything from players.

Everyone is fortunate to still be on the list and you’ve got to do the things he wants from you.

“We realise we’ve been bottom four for three years [which is] pretty average and there’s a few of us – myself, Dustin Fletcher, Mal Michael and Scotty Lucas – we haven’t got that long left so we want to not just make this a development year, but actually play finals footy.”

Lloyd, 29, expects to play about ‘80 per cent’ of his game time close to goal next season, but said Knights, who has turned up the intensity of training sessions, was working hard on fixing a few issues at the opposite end of the ground.

“I think we had too many goals kicked against us [last season] so there’s a massive emphasis on the defensive part of our game,” he said.
“We’ll keep the attack that we’ve got, but the defensive area and stopping the goals is a major part of everyone’s defensive actions which they have to do to get a game next year.”

Having just finished a light skills session on the oval, the playing group moved into the cricket nets to help launch a six-a-side cricket match between an Essendon team and a Brett Lee-led Australian side on Friday, December 21.

Lloyd is the chairman of selectors for the annual charity event and immediately declared Brent Stanton out of the running after the young midfielder took his skipper’s cap off with a wicked square cut as he spoke to the media.

It’s been a big week for the 21-year-old who was handed retired legend James Hird’s No.5 guernsey, and Lloyd backed him to do the number justice as the Bombers embark on a new era.

“We just feel Stants is a real gun of the midfield in the whole competition and I reckon he’ll be one of our key leaders over the coming years,” he said.

“He’s the one who Hirdy wanted to wear his jumper and Hirdy’s not the type to put away numbers either so it’s great for him.”

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=54005

i like this brutal honesty theory. hopefully they've covered some of this:

" we've been shite for years, stop pretending we're still a power "

"lloydy, stop ****ing falling over in the contest"

" we won't draft any more burnt out carlton hacks in the psd"

"laycock, you're fat, unfit and soft. harden the **** up"

" if anyone ever get's a hairstyle like mcphee's from last preseason, you're off the list"

"if any of our runners get suspended, you'll be strung up by the knackers from the wind sock"

"johnsy, you can play footy, or pose for calenders. not ****ing both"

" if anyone ever get's a hairstyle like mcphee's from last preseason, you're off the list"

"if any of our runners get suspended, you'll be strung up by the knackers from the wind sock"

Well said that man

Hahaha, great post Saladin! :thumbsu:

It's nice to hear that not everyone at the club is content with consistent poor performances!

However, I do not want to hear the old cliche' brought out again "This is the best pre-season we've done in years".......because that's just BS!

If that was ever going to be true then this year would be it. New coach, new ideas, "brutal honesty" -- if it ever was going to be "the best preseason in years" I would believe it.

No one at Essendon is pretending the club is still a 'power'.

Its called believing in one another.

We don't write off any up-coming seasons as a certain bottom of the ladder finsh.....whats wrong with Lloydy and the gang being positive about the situation?

Without confidence,a footballer has nothing.

You can be positive but still know tht what ever we are doing isnt working. Brutal honesty is the way to go!!! Maybe a change is what we need. But i stil miss Sheeds... hes been coach ever since i was born.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait till the season actually starts before we can start doing our criticising of any sort.

By round 5 - 10 we can pretty much shape out the way our club is heading with Matty knights as our coach and see who's going to be the next BIG thing at the club.

At the moment, people think we're going to finnish top 5 and others think we're going to finnish at the bottom. To be honest, right now our club can swing into any direction, its either we're winning or we're loosing.

Just wait till the season actually starts before we can start doing our criticising of any sort.

By round 5 - 10 we can pretty much shape out the way our club is heading with Matty knights as our coach and see who's going to be the next BIG thing at the club.

At the moment, people think we're going to finnish top 5 and others think we're going to finnish at the bottom. To be honest, right now our club can swing into any direction, its either we're winning or we're loosing.

I don't think many, if any, think we will finish top 5

To be honest, right now our club can swing into any direction, its either we're winning or we're loosing

LOL, Sorry but unless we draw every week i think that's a pretty safe bet :D

What I was trying to say is that the club could swing in any direction next year, based on us:

Hiring a new coach.
Delisting 3 senior players.
Having 4 Players Retiring.
An EGM been forced in.
2 legends leaving the game. (Hirdy & Sheedy)
The Majority of our players still in their early 20's.
4 new players been added to the club and even more.

With all these things happening its really hard to predict our future because there has been so many things happen to the club over the last year.

Lets hope that everything goes right and we should have good news for us next year.

Yes I am happy with all of the above....What would realy excite me...would be to see on field diciplne back in the Bombers side....for the players to know that if they stuff up on field, that they will be dragged. sit on the pine:thumbsu:

Yes I am happy with all of the above....What would realy excite me...would be to see on field diciplne back in the Bombers side....for the players to know that if they stuff up on field, that they will be dragged. sit on the pine:thumbsu:

u make it sound so easy to play afl, why dont you go play 4 essendon and show us how its done?

u make it sound so easy to play afl, why dont you go play 4 essendon and show us how its done?

What are you smoking:confused: In the past good Bomber sides dragged players from the ground if..when they made stupid mistakes that cost a goal...or gave a fee kick that stopped the flow of the game in our favour.

If your playing AFL your not paid to make costly mistakes.

What are you smoking:confused: In the past good Bomber sides dragged players from the ground if..when they made stupid mistakes that cost a goal...or gave a fee kick that stopped the flow of the game in our favour.

If your playing AFL your not paid to make costly mistakes.

well those mistakes should go down by 25% now Bolton is gone

I agree, especially with the last one.

You can be positive but still know tht what ever we are doing isnt working. Brutal honesty is the way to go!!! Maybe a change is what we need. But i stil miss Sheeds... hes been coach ever since i was born.
hang on we went from 3.5 wins to 10 last year... make that improvement again & we'll be top 4. something's going right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers under fire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back