Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Will there be another 400 gamer after Boomer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mundy is evergreen. He's having an awesome season, super durable and plays a gamestyle you could put on a half back flank with his vision and skill if you want to save him from the crash and bash.

Same with Pendlebury. Both of them could get there.

I think there will be a lot more 400+ players. Boomer could have realistically played 2-3 years longer, his problem was the team falling apart more than his footy deteriorating. He could have played somewhere else if he wanted.

I think with less impact on-field, perhaps shorter quarters, maybe expansion will increase number of games, players generally playing longer with better medical innovation, we could potentially see a 500 game player.

I think there will be a lot more 400+ players. Boomer could have realistically played 2-3 years longer, his problem was the team falling apart more than his footy deteriorating. He could have played somewhere else if he wanted.

I think with less impact on-field, perhaps shorter quarters, maybe expansion will increase number of games, players generally playing longer with better medical innovation, we could potentially see a 500 game player.
I agree. I think better recovery, medical sub use, better appreciation of the importance of on field leaders, and less stigma over players going to another club at the tail end of their careers could see more players get over 300 and push towards 400.

Joel Selwood sitting on 833 frees for - if he plays 400 games we might just have a 1000 free kick getter.

Pendlebury on 426, Mundy on 230.
Surely the crowd runs onto the ground to mark the 1000 free kick milestone 🤣

I would've thought more players would reach 400 games in the modern era.

Nowadays you have a full-time staff of mediocs and physios to help players recover at clubs. There's now the added retoric of keeping players longer at clubs for mentoring the younger players too.
Yeah not like when Tuck was playing and working full time as a plumber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know that stat for the rest of the 400 club and Burgoyne?

By my maths:
Tuck - 426 out of 475, missing 49 games (21 of those in his debut and second seasons, you'd assume most if not all were due to not being in the best side for Hawthorn rather than injury)
Bartlett - 403 out of 426, missing 23 games (unlike Tuck stayed in the best side for Richmond from debut to retirement as far as I can tell)
Harvey - 432 out of 470, missing 38 games (played R22 debut season, missed the three finals, wasn't in until R5 the next season but from there was in the best side)
Burgoyne - 399 out of 460, missing 61 games (includes games started as medical sub, even when not coming on like in round 4)

By my maths:
Tuck - 426 out of 475, missing 49 games (21 of those in his debut and second seasons, you'd assume most if not all were due to not being in the best side for Hawthorn rather than injury)
Bartlett - 403 out of 426, missing 23 games (unlike Tuck stayed in the best side for Richmond from debut to retirement as far as I can tell)
Harvey - 432 out of 470, missing 38 games (played R22 debut season, missed the three finals, wasn't in until R5 the next season but from there was in the best side)
Burgoyne - 399 out of 460, missing 61 games (includes games started as medical sub, even when not coming on like in round 4)
Thanks mate, that’s an unbelievable number from fletcher.

By my maths:

Crazy that you can play for 20 years without any significant injury. The only real injury I ever remember Boomer getting was him disclocating his elbow. The most time he ever missed was for whacking Kerr, I think.

Preparation is surely a big part, but it must be genetic also.

I’ve heard that Tuck played a hundred odd reserves games before playing seniors.

Craig Bradley played 98 SANFL games before playing 375 for Carlton. He also played 9 times for Australia, 19 times for South Australia, night series games for Port (SANFL) and Carlton, first class cricket for SA, grade cricket in Victoria...

Fletcher holds the record for the longest career ever in VFL/AFL. I think just shy of 23 years?

Was listed for 23 seasons. 1993 - 2015. Debuted R2 1993, last game was R9 2015.

Never had major knee reco etc where he lost a whole year, but he’d always miss 4-5 games a year with some sort of injuries. It probably prolonged his career a bit tbh, playing 20+ games every year would’ve been a bigger toll.

I think most beneficial however was his genuine ability not to take part in much training, particularly in the second half of his career. Bit of light jogging, some touch work. Other than that he’d generally find himself where the training drill wasn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Back