Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Will there be another 400 gamer after Boomer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I think he's wrong.

Boomer's comment was based on his comparison of the demands on footballers now compared to when he started. It's so much harder now, ergo it will be so much harder for modern players to play as long as he has.

However, modern players come into this system only knowing this system. It is their benchmark, like the 1996 system was Boomer's. I'm sure the old stagers still playing in 1996 would have said it was much harder then than when they started too. This year's draftees who play 10+ seasons will probably comment at the end of their careers how much easier is was in 2015. And so on.

So there's always going to be a small handful of players who manage to combine avoiding serious injury, not being susceptible to soft tissue injuries, have undiminished passion for the game and are able to play at a consistent level year after year. Playing consistently in a top team that plays lots of finals helps too. And a small handful of that small handful will keep that going until they get somewhere near the mark.

I couldn't say who if any out of the current crop might get there, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen again.
:thumbsu: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'd like to think reiwoldt but his body is so beaten up. Serious hamstring tears, knee injury, several concussions, current calf issues etc. if he does play on after next year I think 1 more major injury that sidelines him for more than a month and he'll pull the plug.

400 is the new 300...

It's not an unreasonable prediction by Boomer. I think a very important aspect in allowing a player to keep going that long is whether they keep their athleticism. Both Boomer and Fletch managed to keep their speed through their mid 30's which is very uncommon. Along with that the player must have the ongoing passion and dedication to keep their love of the game. Ablett is probably the veteran in the league who has managed to best maintain his athleticism. He was drafted in 2001 and is still genuinely quick and strong. However, injuries and passion can't be predicted so it's still unlikely he gets there.

I think it's hilarious that everyone here has an opinion like they know more about the situation better than the guy that's about to hit 400 and next year break the record. 20 years of footy that is virtually injury free is crazy amazing. I will be shocked if another player hits 400.

Sam Mitchell will be around the 285 game mark at end of season at 32 years old. Very durable player who shows no signs of slowing down (and it really wouldn't matter if he did as he's always been slow of foot anyway). Could potentially see him playing another 5 years and getting close. Should certainly top 350 games I'd think.

Sam Mitchell will be around the 285 game mark at end of season at 32 years old. Very durable player who shows no signs of slowing down (and it really wouldn't matter if he did as he's always been slow of foot anyway). Could potentially see him playing another 5 years and getting close. Should certainly top 350 games I'd think.

Nothing against Mitchell, but I would be surprised if he got to 350. I just feel like he'd give it away by the age of 34~

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good selective quote... Well done.

James Hird's forgotten more about football than I know, but recently claimed to have "almost no chance of winning" with 7+ players under 50 games in the team. Experts can be wrong and frequently are. You'd go broke following jockeys' tips.

So we can accept Boomer's statement and rule a mental line, or question his assertion.

James Hird's forgotten more about football than I know, but recently claimed it's "nearly impossible" to win with 7+ players under 50 games in the team. Experts can be wrong and frequently are. You'd go broke following jockeys' tips.
What???
All I'm saying is that if anyone knows how hard it is to play 400 over 20 years it's Boomer.... He has also experienced first hand the time and training commitment changes and the game speed changes. But we all know better.

What???
All I'm saying is that if anyone knows how hard it is to play 400 over 20 years it's Boomer.... He has also experienced first hand the time and training commitment changes and the game speed changes. But we all know better.

From time to time the AFL raises the issue of shortening games, which would help. It's also possible if interchange is restructured that we could see more players on the bench. The age limit for the draft could be lowered. I don't know what will happen. You don't know. Boomer doesn't know.

How about I bump this thread when the next 400-gamer arrives. And when nobody's gone close after 20 years, you can bump it. Deal?

From time to time the AFL raises the issue of shortening games, which would help. It's also possible if interchange is restructured that we could see more players on the bench. The age limit for the draft could be lowered. I don't know what will happen. You don't know. Boomer doesn't know.

How about I bump this thread when the next 400-gamer arrives. And when nobody's gone close after 20 years, you can bump it. Deal?
Boomer said forever.... I'll bump it in forever. Don't you go dying on me.

Bob Murphy is too far behind. Already 33 and not at 300 games. I could see him playing another three or four years - he has the skinny build familiar to Tuck, Bartlett and Fletcher - but that would still leave him 50+ games off.
Where do I sign off on this? Would love to see Bob play on another 3-4 years.

The amazing thing about Tucky is that he played well over 50 games in the VFL in his first couple of years, before eventually securing a spot in the seniors.

I think it's hilarious that everyone here has an opinion like they know more about the situation better than the guy that's about to hit 400 and next year break the record. 20 years of footy that is virtually injury free is crazy amazing. I will be shocked if another player hits 400.

I heard someone say exactly say the same thing in 1990.

Mitchell is only a year younger than Pav and has played 40 less games. He won't get anywhere near 400 and i'd be surprised if he gets to 350.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Back