BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dark Sharks, let me preface this by saying that I have been a lurker on the Eagles BF forum for ages and during this time you have been by far my favourite poster. I like anyone with a irreverent sense of humour. And I totally get why a lot of people are unhappy at how this topic has escalated (especially as an Eagles match was the flashpoint) and how they believe/know that they weren't booing out of racist reasons.
Hey Schrodinger. Given you've been lurking so you probably don't know how this would work, I'm no expert but just a little guide.

If you press reply to someone they will be notified that you replied, so you don't need to tag them.

In the case you don't reply, tag them by putting an @ in front of their name. Otherwise the poster might not/ probably won't see it if they can't be bothered reading every poster.

13 yr old girl.... she said "ape" FFS. You really think he hasn't been called worse over the course of his career? Odd time to get offended.

Yes, during indigenous round. And to the suffering opposition supporters, not to the Carlton players themselves. Go figure.

Yes. Yes it is. It increases the media attention 10 fold sure, which is why so many people think of him as an attention seeking twat. But also the vitriol which comes with it. Like Dermott said, he has bought the booing upon himself with his actions on field. If he'd thought 'bringing it to everyone's attention' on the footy field was the right idea, then he must reap what he sows and cop the boo's which come with it. Not threaten to retire.

Which is why we're in this whole circle jerk in the first place. Because of that ^

This line, in a few short words captures the essence of why this topic makes people uncomfortable -

13 yr old girl.... she said "ape" FFS. You really think he hasn't been called worse over the course of his career? Odd time to get offended.

As I read this, I barely had time to get over the idea that Goodes has been called worse than "ape" through his career (If this is true, the problem is worse than I thought), when you questioned the timing of "choosing" to get offended.

Imagine you have a stutter and you mean someone who starts making fun of you by pretending to stutter - At exactly which point will you choose to get offended? The first time? The tenth time? And will that point be largely within your conscious control?

To reference a previous post you made regarding Naitanui and other dark skinned people not wanting to challenge people after racist remarks are made, don't you think Adam Goodes would have had a much more enjoyable and peaceful life if he had just ignored everything? You bet. He would be loving life right now. Instead he decided that, for the benefit of others (remember that due to pure talent and hard work, Goodes has been able to overcome the major hurdles his fellow aborigines face) to take a stand. Although it was a much smaller issue, I once took a stand against an office bully who was making life hell for the people I worked with. I knew that it would mean that I would need to find a new job however I decided that it was worth it.

Someone more left-leaning or perhaps more fundamentalist about this debate might counter your argument by saying that those other dark skinned players who ignored racist treatment were cowards for not speaking out. I think this is also incorrect. You can't always choose the things you feel strongly about and you can't criticize people for not taking a stand. After what we have seen this week, what do you think will happen if someone in the crowd calls an aboriginal player an ape? Or any other possible racist behaviour? I think the main take away lesson for aborigines in footy going forward is - shut up and take it, no matter how bad it makes you feel.

And I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Schrodinger i like the cut of your jib.

But irrespective of a worldwide view on how racism is a one way street, my main gripe has been that Goodes has not acted appropriately.

Was the ape comment racist? Yes.
Did Goodes make the situation worse by reacting the way he did? Yes.

Easier said than done for him to act differently, i know. But that's why i'm not an Australian of the year or a professional sportsman. Goodes is. I'm also not black or a football icon, Goodes is, which means i can't relate personally to that 'exact' type of abuse. Hence why i used both Naitanui and Johanssen, and the way they act as an example. As they are all those things and can relate fully. Johansson is south african.

kranky al No mate not anymore. As a kid, it upset me yes as it's just another form of bullying. As an adult, i find it more annoying and ironic than upsetting. But it's not going to change obviously. One form is highlighted more than another and that's life.

This line, in a few short words captures the essence of why this topic makes people uncomfortable -

As I read this, I barely had time to get over the idea that Goodes has been called worse than "ape" through his career (If this is true, the problem is worse than I thought), when you questioned the timing of "choosing" to get offended.

Imagine you have a stutter and you mean someone who starts making fun of you by pretending to stutter - At exactly which point will you choose to get offended? The first time? The tenth time? And will that point be largely within your conscious control?

To reference a previous post you made regarding Naitanui and other dark skinned people not wanting to challenge people after racist remarks are made, don't you think Adam Goodes would have had a much more enjoyable and peaceful life if he had just ignored everything? You bet. He would be loving life right now. Instead he decided that, for the benefit of others (remember that due to pure talent and hard work, Goodes has been able to overcome the major hurdles his fellow aborigines face) to take a stand. Although it was a much smaller issue, I once took a stand against an office bully who was making life hell for the people I worked with. I knew that it would mean that I would need to find a new job however I decided that it was worth it.

Someone more left-leaning or perhaps more fundamentalist about this debate might counter your argument by saying that those other dark skinned players who ignored racist treatment were cowards for not speaking out. I think this is also incorrect. You can't always choose the things you feel strongly about and you can't criticize people for not taking a stand. After what we have seen this week, what do you think will happen if someone in the crowd calls an aboriginal player an ape? Or any other possible racist behaviour? I think the main take away lesson for aborigines in footy going forward is - shut up and take it, no matter how bad it makes you feel.

And I wouldn't blame them one bit.

It's not about 'letting it go'. I've said it in one of my previous posts, he isn't letting anything go.

He would be bringing up the incident time and time again in the future in the appropriate forum to raise the issue the right way. And by that i mean in his career in politics which he has confessed he's interested in pursuing. His words will hold much more weight and the issue will be addressed more appropriately than what it has been now.

Pointing to a kid on national TV was not the way to go about it... ergo a large chunk of the nation has lost a huge amount of respect for him and he is now widely booed.

Mtell me something - look at the journalism it quotes and tell me how it deserves any better as a riposte - sometimes you have to laugh
Hardly.

The articles author simply claims the truth of her 'argument' as self evident.

"Of couse, this saga is entirely racially motivated."

Then again I shouldn't really expect insight from DailyLife entertainment pages.

Hey Schrodinger. Given you've been lurking so you probably don't know how this would work, I'm no expert but just a little guide.

If you press reply to someone they will be notified that you replied, so you don't need to tag them.

In the case you don't reply, tag them by putting an @ in front of their name. Otherwise the poster might not/ probably won't see it if they can't be bothered reading every poster.

Hey mate...can you please let me know what you mean by "tagging"? No doubt I have done something newbie/embarrassing inadvertently...

As far as I know I just clicked "reply" and then typed. However I may have either accidentally clicked something I shouldn't have or not clicked something I should (if that makes sense) :)

But irrespective of a worldwide view on how racism is a one way street, my main gripe has been that Goodes has not acted appropriately.

Easier said than done for him to act differently, i know. But that's why i'm not an Australian of the year or a professional sportsman. Goodes is. I'm also not black or a football icon, Goodes is, which means i can't relate personally to that 'exact' type of abuse. Hence why i used both Naitanui and Johanssen, and the way they act as an example. As they are all those things and can relate fully. Johansson is south african.
So much bullshit. You realize he didn't do it for him. He did it so people down at the local footy might think twice about abiding the young aboriginal guy playing, who can't make a stand like Goodsy. The only way to beat racism is to call it out publicly. You think we'd here all the reports of fans reporting other fans for racist bullshit if goodes hadn't done what he'd done?

I'm sure he may have thought twice if he'd known she was 13 but he'd no way to know that at the time.

Jesus, by your logic you probably think Nicky Winmar was wrong to point at his skin and call out racism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh good, Shane Warne is on the side of the booers. A 46 year old celebrity who picks up random women on tinder. What a winner!
Shane Warne, Akermanis, Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones, Miranda Devine...

How that doesn't end the argument I have no idea.

Edit: and Dermott Brereton, Luke Darcy...

Hey mate...can you please let me know what you mean by "tagging"? No doubt I have done something newbie/embarrassing inadvertently...

As far as I know I just clicked "reply" and then typed. However I may have either accidentally clicked something I shouldn't have or not clicked something I should (if that makes sense) :)

No, not at all. Its just that when I started I had know idea either. If you're talking to/addressing/want someone specific to read the comment, and you're not replying to their post, then you tag them. For instance Schrodinger is now tagged, which will give you a notification, which means that you'll definitely read the comment. Otherwise for example you might skip a couple pages and miss a comment directed at you. If you press reply, the person you're replying to will get a notification, so no need to tag. For some reason, on the original post it didn't pull up Dark Sharks comment, so I didn't know what you were replying to :)

The cornerstone of your argument is that there is not a significant portion of the crowd booing for racial reasons. How can you back that up? Is it because a majority of posters admitting to booing said it wasn't the reason? Would they admit it if it was?

I feel, with the exception of the mentally disabled or challenged who are not able to rationalise the immoral issue of racial discrimination, that the vast majority of fans at the game are not racist or at the very least not racist towards AFL players. I mean why the fk would they be? It's been effectively stamped out of the game so hard over the past few decades that is just passe` to taunt someone based on their race. Just like it's passe` to hit a woman with a club and drag her back to your cave.

Now before you jump up and down and say that racial discrimination still exists in society... yes...it does. But this is not that discussion... we're referring to the relationship of 'Opposition Fans' and 'Professional Athletes' in a game of AFL. With this narrower context in mind... yes I don't believe fans even consider race when watching an opposition player in a game of AFL.

I don't subscribe to the presumption of a few posters in this thread that there is a non insignificant portion of the crowd who have racism in mind when booing. I believe those dots are being connected unfairly by the media (and the AFL).

Embarrassing for the professional victims aka SJW's.

FYI, like 95 percent of the people who use the term "social justice warriors" are just racists, homophobes and chauvinists who are mad that it's no longer acceptable for white guys to say openly offensive things about non-whites, gays, and women.

I haven't been on this forum long, but I thought you were fairly intelligent Dark Sharks. Your footy analysis is decent. Clearly I was wrong because your arguments on this topic have been the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALA NOT RACIST LALALA".
This is a pretty complex subject. I don't think he is sticking his fingers in his ears. He just doesn't see it the way others do, however plenty agree with him. This has far more to do with personal experience than it does intelligence.

- You are partially right - racism is not the exclusive domain of Caucasians. For example, the Japanese (who I generally love dearly) are the most casually racist people in the world. Their whole immigration policy is probably the single most racist I have seen. They think Koreans and Chinese are beneath them. Using the strictest definition, yes if an aborigine calls you a white campaigner he is being "racist". This is the single most over used counter argument I see on this general topic "Person X who had dark skin called me a white so and so". It misses the point of why racism makes compassionate people uncomfortable, because racism involves the majority not giving the minority a fair go, based on their merits. To be honest, I wouldn't give a toss whether you went around returning the favour by calling aborigines "black ****", as long as you then gave them a fair go in a job interview or had no problems with your son/daughter marrying one.

- Or to put this another way, let's assume that every single aborigine alive was completely racist (wouldn't give you a job or a fair go, treated you like crap etc). To what degree would that affect your life? Your job prospects? Think about that for a moment and you will have the answer for why minorities need to be afforded special protection.

Don't use the job reasoning. They have an amazing advantage in the mining industry, getting a job on race grounds not merit. I have nothing against that because it is part of closing the gap in poverty, education and life span but it itself is a discriminate policy and it is allowed in the EEO act.

Every race is racist in its own way, but for some reason the only one that is cared about is whether white people are racist. It is all irrelevant anyway because this whole thing started from the booing which definitely was not racially motivated.

kranky al No mate not anymore. As a kid, it upset me yes as it's just another form of bullying. As an adult, i find it more annoying and ironic than upsetting. But it's not going to change obviously. One form is highlighted more than another and that's life.

That's probably the single most measured response I have seen on this issue from the other point of view. And bonus points for making me laugh out loud by making a parallax error joke in between a selection of posts I strongly disagreed with. Also didn't mind the second reply you made to one of my posts.

I guess my only comment to your point about the "appropriate" forum would be that people think politicians are either talking shit or are supporting a particular issue out of self-interest. I for one am more interested in hearing from "Adam Goodes the current footballer" than "Adam Goodes the politician representing whatever left-leaning party he chooses".

As you could probably tell by any one of the improbably large number of posts I have made on this topic, I am someone who feels passionately about certain things and disinterested in others. The majority of my Facebook friends lean way further to the left than I do and will often automatically support whatever the current hot topic is, always from the left. I feel strongly about some and meh about others. As many people who feel passionate about helping others often do, I have previously toyed with the (frankly ridiculous) idea of going into politics. However I can't help but think that politics is intrinsically broken. No one listens to politicians. If Goodes joins the Greens and starts hammering me over wind power or saving the long-nosed rambunctious cat-weasel (or some other endangered animal), my opinion of him will drop considerably. Whilst he has no doubt caused himself an almost inconceivable amount of suffering because of it and maybe you are right, perhaps there have been some things he could have done better, I think that he has drawn infinitely more attention to this issue for this very reason - he is an aboriginal player who has made a lot of noise while still playing - rightly or wrongly, this pushes a lot of people's buttons.

Dark (may I call you Dark?). I have read enough of your posts over the last year or so to know that you are an intelligent person with a crusty exterior and a heart of gold. When they make a movie of your life, you will be played by the guy that plays Alf on Home & Away (and Nick Nolte for the US adaptation). Scott Selwood will have a walk-on part, playing a hat stand. Anyway...My main issue in all this is that racist morons are using numbers around them to be emboldened. As you may have noticed, I have a penchant for plucking poorly conceived analogies out of my rear to make a point. Despite this -

Imagine you are sitting down at your favourite cafe, sipping your regular soy decafe latte. Suddenly someone with dark skin runs past, chased by a large group of people, and in the process knocking you and spilling your latte all over the latest issue of Oz Superbike (which you read purely for the stories about motorbikes). Royally pissed, you leap up and join the crowd chasing him. You don't give a stuff about the colour of his skin. You are just angry because you spent the last of your TAB winnings on that magazine. Eventually, you all manage to corner him. It's then you look around and notice you are surrounded by a group of complete dropkicks. Some you may be able to work this out by their appearance (they may be your classic neo-nazis, maybe one is wearing a Pauline Hanson t-shirt). Some you may only work out they are morons after they talk for a while. One may try to explain that "Scott Selwood should be a walk-up start due to his clinical disposal and set shot abilities".

I guess the question I pose is that, once you have worked out you are surrounded by morons and obvious racists (even when they tell you "I'm not a racist, but..."), does it change your desire to join them in hammering the guy that knocked you?

My point is that I see quite a few posts which pose reasonable reasons for not liking Goodes. And if this booing thing had never happened, it would have been reasonable to say this in Game Day threads and the like. Not liking Goodes and saying so on Big Footy is not being racist, despite how many have tried to paint it as such. However this commentary is now intermingled with genuinely nasty racist stuff, making it difficult to voice displeasure at Goodes without these being conflated. So I would contend that any concrete anti-Goodes stuff needs to be shelved for the meantime, otherwise reasonable people may be offering refuge to the dumbest, most racist people in society.

Don't use the job reasoning. They have an amazing advantage in the mining industry, getting a job on race grounds not merit. I have nothing against that because it is part of closing the gap in poverty, education and life span but it itself is a discriminate policy and it is allowed in the EEO act.

Every race is racist in its own way, but for some reason the only one that is cared about is whether white people are racist. It is all irrelevant anyway because this whole thing started from the booing which definitely was not racially motivated.

As someone who has worked both within mining (albeit admittedly the white collar side) and outside of mining, I can safely say that mining is a wonderful exception. Unfortunately, despite what the general WA population thinks, mining jobs are only a small percentage of the total number of job roles in Australia.

So say you are hiring for a classic white collar job, such as a sales manager or even just a salesman. You interview 5 applicants and 1 is aboriginal. I can safely say that the aborigine has 99.99999% (sorry, can't find my scientific calculator, ran out of decimals) chance of not getting the job. Because even if you aren't racist yourself, the smart thing to do is not hire them, because you know that some of the customers they will have to deal with will be racist. Even if they were the best applicant, you would be dumb to hire them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back