Boxing Day Crowd Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

SJ -

I assume all general reserved have seat numbers and from memory its most of the m1-m15 or something. We go every year but this is the first year I have a seat number on my ticket. Usually get to the ground early and make the dash for bay 13.

For some reason they are calling it general reserve not general admission?

Also standing room is being released tomorrow

Hmmm could be interesting then, Bay 13 may not be the same this year?

I have tix to days 1,2,3 and they are m11, m12 , m13 respectively, and all have a seat number.

I was just under the impression that usually level 1 in the southern is sit where you want?

Are you sure bomber? That map on page 2 of this post has the whole 5 days as general reserved. Definitely not normal for the G
Actually I think you are right, and I have made a mistake. Seems there is no general admission (apart from standing room to be released soon).

In that case you will not be able to sit in M13 for any day unless you have a reserved seat there.

Guess i'll go early day 1 to find out. Might beable to sleep in for days 2 and 3 if its all sit where your ticket says.

Actually, you have reminded me of something. I am almost certain that either last season or the one prior, the MCG removed general admission for international cricket completely (I assume in order to break up Bay 13-type areas). Bottom/top level of the Southern Stand are still at general admission prices, however they are sold as general reserve.

This explains the change since 2006.

Well ive been to the past 2 Boxing Day tests (09 - Pak & 08 - SA), on day 1 and 2 at least, and im sure it was just sold as general admission, as both times we rocked up and headed to bay 13 no probs. But then again it was never going to sell out was it.

I dont think i have ever seen the general reserved before so yes they must be trying to reduce trouble areas. Personally i dont see what the big raspberry is about, a few mid strength beers, some sun and some fun.... They also have a family area if people feel that bad about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you reckon the ODI's will draw a crowd this year?
Oh well either way it should be a great day weather permitting hopefully 95000 +

For anyone still wanting to get a ticket

PUBLIC RESERVE - DAY ONE
A limited number of standing room tickets in the Public Reserve will be released on Wednesday 22 December at 9am.

Re: General admission now General RESERVE

Now i'm a bit worried that our group of 20 wont be able to sit together on Day 2 as we have for the last 6 years in M11/12!!!
Does anyone know with any certainty whether seating numbers will be enforced in General Reserve on Day 2?
Previously that has been the beauty of turning up early on the second day, make your way into the bottom of the southern and sit where you want, even in 2006 when the crowd was 70K+.
Best tickets that Ticketek online are offering in General reserve is in the nose bleeds.
Can anyone allay my fears?

It may have started in the ODIs last year.

Correct. And it's one of the worst ideas the MCG/ACB have introduced in years. Fair dinkum, for a match that attracted only 19k or so (vs WI), we weren't allowed (some of us MCC members, other General Public) to sit in an open area in the Southern Stand with oodles of spare seats around us. Absolutely pathetic for spectators who just want to sit together and watch the cricket. Very soft from those involved if this is to do with the elimination of Bay 13.

General admin walk up is a crucial factor in any MCG sporting match.

SJ, from memory I may have read that you did some work at the MCG as one of the greencoats (apologies if I am wrong) - is this the case, and if so, what was the edict from the ground in relation to it? Cheers.

Yeah that's right. From memory there was no word from on high, I just heard about it in passing. I think it became possible when Ticketek took over the ticketing system, as previously only general admission tickets were sold at the gates and now they can sell reserved seats (in the same way you may buy them from a Ticketek outlet).

Ive got a mate from the UK who is meant to arrive in Australia on the 24th and attending the test on the 26th. I dont like his chances. This year will be my 3rd boxing day test in a row. Previously went to RSA around 02?, India 04/5? RSA 08, Paki 09 and now England '10. The past two years the GSS was just general admin and first in got to sit where they wanted. Anyway CA believe it will be a record crowd for a Boxing day test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing Day Crowd Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back