Brad Green

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24463177-19742,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/club/0,26579,19763,00.html
Collingwood is chasing Melbourne's Brad Green, with a decision expected today.

The Pies said last night they were interested in the midfielder, but the 27-year-old was yet to decide whether he would leave the Demons.

"I don't think he knows what he's doing yet," Collingwood football operations manager Geoff Walsh said. "He has to say I want to leave and I'm interested in you.

"But at this stage none of those things have happened."

Hawthorn, Sydney and Port Adelaide have also sounded out Green.

I have been saying for a while now that we should trade green as we have a youth policy in place and drafting youngsters shuld be the priority. Green is about the only player we an afford to trade and that has curency in the market. Were lookin at a pick either around 14-16 or 22-30 due to the teams that are after him is where they finished on the ladder.

I would be wrapt for a pick in the teens but it may be a bit much for teams to part with, pick 35 may sweeten the deal. While a pick in the 20's mayneed to be with a another pick in 40's to sweeten the deal our way!

I was on BF last night & someone mentioned that perhaps Port would be interested in trading Green for #22 & Adam Thompson. I can't find the thread but I like the idea of this trade. On face value it seems like a win win for both sides. Port may think it is a little steep to trade both #22 & Thompson but pick #22 probably isn't enough on its own.

Also mentioned in the thread that I can not now find was the option of then on-trading #22 to Freo for Warnock. How sweet would it be for us to pip Carlton by just two draft selections.

Alot of big IFS but it would leave us with selections #1, 17, 19, Warnock & Thompson for giving up Green.

Once again this wasn't my creation but I like the look of it & I'm sure it was something very similar to what I have outlined above

Green will go and should get a pick 12-20 l reckon, Bruce will finish career at the Demons

Why is Bruce rated more highly than Green? I think they are almost identical in all departmens except Green has slightly better skills, kicks more goals and is 2 years younger.
I dont know why people keep saying Green is soft? I've never seen him wimp out of a contest - in fact i've seen him take some pretty corageous marks over the years.
I just dont understand why Melbourne supporters keep saying they would prefer to keep Bruce ahead of Green??

Why is Bruce rated more highly than Green? I think they are almost identical in all departmens except Green has slightly better skills, kicks more goals and is 2 years younger.
I dont know why people keep saying Green is soft? I've never seen him wimp out of a contest - in fact i've seen him take some pretty corageous marks over the years.
I just dont understand why Melbourne supporters keep saying they would prefer to keep Bruce ahead of Green??

Well I'm a Melbourne supporter & I would prefer to trade Bruce over Green. Also I don't think Green is soft. Since moving to the backline he has added a harder edge to his game & as you pointed out he is regularly taking marks backing back into packs.

The reason we aren't trading Bruce is for the reason you pointed out. He is two years older & we wouldn't get anything in return. Green has value at the minute so it makes sense that if you are going to trade you get adequate compensation. They are the only reasons!

I haven't seen many people say that to be honest. Green is one that I (and a lot of other Melbourne supporters) don't want to see leave, but facts are that he's out of contract, considering offers from other teams and should have a fairly high market value.

I prefer green over bruce any day.

Id think that if we offered bruce instead of Green the trade value would be almost identical.

Green is way more important to us.

we don't have a choice in regards to trading bruce over green.

bruce is on RIDICULOUS money. brad's not. bruce is in contract. brad's not.

(i could add that brad hits targets, and puts his head over the ball, and provides leadership...and bruce doesn't, but i think most realise that.)

as such, brad is - unfortunately - the tradeable commodity.

i'd like him to stay, but he wants silly money (as does ryan o'keefe). if we can get a pick somewhere in the teens to low 20s, i think he'll be on his way.

Interesting thing to say without even knowing what you'd need to give up to get him.

Not really mate.
I've read that he wants $450k over 3 years - I wouldn't be comfortable in offering that to a player of Green's quality. For instance, we're only paying Didak $400k over 2 years.
We also have an abundance of outside goalkicking winger/flanker types. I want an inside midfielder with pace or a ruckman. Green is neither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really mate.
I've read that he wants $450k over 3 years - I wouldn't be comfortable in offering that to a player of Green's quality. For instance, we're only paying Didak $400k over 2 years.
We also have an abundance of outside goalkicking winger/flanker types. I want an inside midfielder with pace or a ruckman. Green is neither.

Stupid comment, those quoted figures are no where near what they are on.

$400,000 a year, on a 2 year contract

Green wants $450,000 a year on 3 years

Would rather have Green than Bruce, all these supporters who are think that he's 'soft and outside' etc are probably thinking of Bruce...

I will spew if we take this seagull. He is close to my most hated player in the AFL, has a head you just want to smash!

He is a soft, front running seagull who was not even good enough to be in the worst club in the AFL's leadership group. To make it worse he acts like a girl off the field.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He aint as bad as some are making out...but he's not what Collingwood wants.

I reckon his best position is as a forward. However, he has played the majority of his footy in the midfield in a pretty loose role.

This year, he spent most of his time gathering pretty loose kicks across half back.

He definitly got a rocket up his a## and definitely showed more committment. Did some gutsy things....but he is not the sort who will win clerances or go in and under. He has courage when going for a pack mark and is a fantastic tackler....but we need an out and out midfielder.

I think a team who was interested in Green should pay around pick 12-20 and set him up in the forward line. We don't need him to do this role, Medhurst is better at it.

All we could or would be willing to offer is pick 29 + Shaw...but lets be honest, you would highly doubt Melbourne would entertain this offer. Shaw doesnt carry value and pick 24 is no where near Green's value.

So our lack of willingness to give up anything good will see that Green does not go to Collingwood.

I will spew if we take this seagull. He is close to my most hated player in the AFL, has a head you just want to smash!

He is a soft, front running seagull who was not even good enough to be in the worst club in the AFL's leadership group. To make it worse he acts like a girl off the field.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has a lot more courage than some of you leaders Fraser out marked by peter bell and pendlebury is noted short stepper.

Coming from a bloke whose club has no idea who the captain is going to be, Maxwell is your front runner LOL and that group includes Josh Fraser.

Acts like a girl i didnt see any melbourne players on the Grand Final footy show dressed up, dancing and acting like girls!!!

He has a lot more courage than some of you leaders Fraser out marked by peter bell and pendlebury is noted short stepper.

Coming from a bloke whose club has no idea who the captain is going to be, Maxwell is your front runner LOL and that group includes Josh Fraser.

Acts like a girl i didnt see any melbourne players on the Grand Final footy show dressed up, dancing and acting like girls!!!

You're a clever one aren't you - you'd think that Melbourne had a clear cut group of leaders given the vitrolic diatribe you've provided us with there...
Go and grow another spoon.. :)

You're a clever one aren't you - you'd think that Melbourne had a clear cut group of leaders given the vitrolic diatribe you've provided us with there...
Go and grow another spoon.. :)

Bottom line, Green was great for Melbourne this year and they quickly fixed their leadership group mistakes by adding him straight back in and then giving him the leadership award at seasons end.

Was a star and Collingwood don't deserve him, hope the rumours about us enquiring are true, can play anywhere, I rate him so highly after his great year this season.

Collingwood fans keep looking at him as a midfielder/forward.

He's played his footy in 08 across hafl back a lot. So perhaps we are considering him in a quarter back role. We definitely need better footskills coming out of defence...and with a young backline his experience could be Luke Hodge like down back.

I dont rate his toughness, but he has courage. Good tackler and backs back when needed. Needs a kick up his a## sometimes.

If we secure a great inside mid at pick 11 and if we are confident about Cousins, then we have our midfield addressed and defence is definitely next port of call.

Collingwood fans keep looking at him as a midfielder/forward.

He's played his footy in 08 across hafl back a lot. So perhaps we are considering him in a quarter back role.

Well then maybe we should offer Ben Graham a contract also as our "punter". Last time i checked there was no such position. Don't insult our game by using seppo terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back